Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Now Deal of the Day

VINE VOICEon September 28, 2004
This is a very nice watch. Large (about 7mm), easy to read time digits. 10 year battery. Date, day of the week and seconds always displayed. Backlight. And accurate to boot! An entirely satisfactory, basic, economical digital watch.

So then why only 3 stars?

The watchband. Its made of plastic (Casio calls it "resin"). Mine broke after a year and a half. The constant flexing back and forth just causes the plastic to "tear" at the point where it bends.

The watch has non-standard fittings for its band. The only way to replace the band is to buy an identical one from Casio. And that costs almost as much as the watch! Granted, that's not very much and you could almost look at this watch as a disposable, but it irks me that it looks like it could keep on going for years but for the cheesy band.

I think I'll go for one with a metal band next time.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2008
I first bought this watch at a local shop and the reasons for choosing this watch were the following -

1. It has a nice large display.

2. There are no "obvious buttons" - Some watches have either stop watch or light button in a very prominent area, protruding out and they can easily get pressed accidentally while doing regular chores, sometimes even while putting hands in trouser pockets. This watch doesn't have those.

3. You see everything that matters in one shot - hour, minutes, seconds, day, date, month and even year, alarm and snooze. This was probably single most important reason for choosing this watch. And I think most of the time this is the only information you are interested in and will be looking for, in a watch at any given point in time. Most of the watches show just the time and date but for everything else you need to press at least one key. Some watches show only time and for month and date you need to press key. No such crap with this watch.

4. This watch hides everything else nicely. But the rest of the stuff can be accessed equally easily through the buttons provided. But trust me - once you adjust the date and time to your local date and time - it will probably be the last time you will be pressing any keys.

5. Technically the manual says that the 10 yr. battery life is calculated taking into account certain fixed seconds of alarm/chime and fixed seconds of using the built in light. If you never use any of these - the battery will last way past 10 years (ofcourse if your watch is new and wasnt sitting on the shelf in the shop for years - which is again highly unlikely). I dont use alarm/chime because I use my mobile for all my alarms. I dont use the light because I dont go to wrong areas at wrong times :-)

6. This is perhaps the only watch I have come across that doesnt waste absolutely any "real estate" on the display. Plain common sense display will really attract you.

I have been using this watch for more than an year and following are the cons (these are the only reasons I am rating this watch at 4)

1. The display glass of the watch is just too soft - it scratches easily. One small dash at any hard surface puts scratches on it. The watch, if dropped from some height, lands on the display and that can cause some serious scratches (personal experience). But it also means that those scratches fade out eventually. The glass keeps getting smoother with day-to-day usage. My first scratch has faded away completely and can be detected only if seen really closely. Perhaps to keep the cost low - they compromised on the quality of the glass.

2. The belt of the watch is a bit on the weaker side - mine broke in 1.3 years - but then thats because I am a 24 hr watch man. The only time my watch separates from me is while bathing. I do not remove it even while sleeping. So your's will definitely last longer (at least a bit more than mine). If you are travelling to some other country where the watch belts are cheaper and the labor cost of fixing them is lesser than US then you can easily get a new belt.

Overall its a really really good watch especially for the price and would recommend it to others and would love to buy again myself. BTW its cheaper on amazon even with shipping (as of this writing). Some of the local shops are selling this item for 20+ dollars as of today. I bought mine for approx 21 bucks (over an year ago)including tax.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2006
Pros: Light weight. Bright light. Intuitive adjusting buttons. Big Letters. Decent price (about $19 after tax at Sears, and about $20 including S/H at Amazon Marketplace).

Cons: No multiple alarms (i.e., can't set the alarm to turn on every 6 hours, etc.).

More advanced models, such as Casio DB37HD-1AV and DB37HD-7AV, have similar designs but more functions, such as data bank, weekdays in foreign languages, etc. This model (W96H-1AV) and its variant (W96H-1BV), however, offer only the standard basic functions for a digital watch. One thing that may bother people is the way the band is rigidly fixed to the case. The hinges cannot be turned. As a result, the watch cannot be laid flat on table. This "feature" does not bother me. But it may be something for other people to consider. All in all, this watch is a good deal for its decent price and good design.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 1, 2007
This is a very nice watch. Large, easy to read time digits (about 7mm). 10 year battery. Date, day of the week and seconds always displayed. Backlight is old-school LED and *not* Indiglo blue. And very accurate to boot! A completely satisfactory, basic, economical, digital watch.

So then why only 3 stars?

The watchband. Its made of plastic (Casio calls it "resin"). Mine broke after a year and a half. The constant flexing back and forth causes the plastic to crease and then disintegrate at the point where it bends.

The watch has non-standard fittings for its band. The only way to replace the band is to buy an identical one from Casio. And that costs almost as much as the watch! Granted, that's not very much and you could almost look at this watch as a disposable, to be replaced every 18 months, but it annoys me that it could easily keep on going for *years* were it not for the crummy band.

Prior to writing this review, I pulled mine out of the "junk" drawer where it went 3 years ago when the band fell apart. It has lost a total of just 17 seconds in that time! If you buy one of these, I recommend you try to extend the band's life by treating it very gently when you put the watch on your wrist and take it off. It's the pulling of the "tongue" of the band all the way back to engage or disengage the pin into one of the band's holes that will ultimately destroy it.

One last thing - Amazon has half a dozen different listings for this watch and the W96H1BV which is almost identical. Make sure you do a search in Watches and Jewelry for W96H1* (don't forget the *) to see all the prices and all the reviews.
on May 3, 2010
My latest purchase makes this the 5th Casio #W96H watch I have. I would not have had to buy the last three had the bands held up. The watch battery is guaranteed for 10 years- expect about two years max out of the band!
Amazon's price was such a bargain that I could buy a watch almost as cheap as a band: $15 total against $13, and that's without S&H! Such a great watch to be held hostage by a band- and I haven't found a replacement locally. The Casio website does have them, but the new watch is a much better bargain. Casio should include a spare band at no additional charge.
on August 24, 2011
Have had two. First the strap broke and it was as cheap to buy a new watch as the strap. The second one which was only 6 months old had the plastic break where the screw holds the strap. The watch was not abused. Don't even have a clue as to what caused the plastic to break since there was no traumatic event that would have caused it. I liked how light and thin the watch is but will not buy another . Will go buy a $5 watch somewhere. I had one that lasted me for years. Casio needs to improve its quality with regards to the strap and how it is held on.
on July 23, 2012
I hardly ever give low reviews on products, but this is the single item that I think deserves it.

In terms of functionality, this watch is great. I really like the navigation on it, and the two-tone beeps.

However, the physical design is terrible. The plastic face rises above the rest of the watch, so if you rub up against something abrasive, it leaves a nice white scratch across the face. I usually replace my watch once every two years or so, and wear it every single day. It does get quite a bit of wear, but usually my watches only start to look terrible after a year and a half or so. This one looked beat up after only about two months. There are about a dozen scratches on the face, and it's nearly impossible to read the display anymore (despite my clearing the scratches off with a toothpick, which does work to some extent). The cheap paint has almost completely worn away on the two parts of the watch where "ILLUMINATOR" and "WATER 50M RESIST" are written.

I do like the look, if it would have lasted. Maybe if they'd used higher quality materials more resistant to chipping. I like the squared look. I also like the band, which is very functional, except that it has two permanent white scratches across the top.

Also, for some reason, the backlight on this watch only stays on for about one second, hardly enough time to read it. I usually have to push it twice. And I thought "ILLUMINATOR" was supposed to leave an afterglow (I may be wrong), which it doesn't. Also, the 12/24 hour feature is reached by pushing ONE BUTTON. WHEN am I ever going to use it enough that it should be that easily accessible? Instead, I've bumped it probably close to 50 times and had to change it back. And there's no way to tell which setting it's on in the AM hours.

This watch also features a "10-year battery" which would be nice if the watch didn't already look terrible after two months.

Before this watch, I've owned one Armitron watch and two Timex watches. Though they both had their own flaws, they lasted WAY longer.

Please don't give me any crap about giving this such a low rating, I'm always sure to leave rational reviews on products, and I believe that the flaws on this watch are enough to cancel out the functionality it provides.
on August 13, 2012
I really like the style of this watch - it is my personal favorite. I am ordering the third one now because the armband lasts maybe 18 months or so. Keep in mind I wear this thing day and night, under the shower, hiking, camping, swimming etc. It's not unexpected for the armband to break, I just wish they made an inexpensive replacement. I looked and found a replacement armband for the same price as a new watch.
I don't like to waste stuff. Getting an armband replaced should be easy and inexpensive.
on May 28, 2012
When my last Casio's band broke (about the 3rd in 6 years), I looked at my replacement options. I ordered this one because it looks a bit classier than the standard Casios (I wear it to an office), and the last one I owned was so complicated I gave up trying to set the alarm. In the week that I've owned this one, two significant annoyances have become apparent: it has picked up two obvious scratches to the watch face, even though I've done no contact sports or anything else that would likely have led to scratching the face. At this rate, it will look pretty bad in a year. Second, the numbers are only readable if I turn my wrist further towards my eyes than I've ever had to with prior Casios (in other words, you have to be looking almost directly down at the face to read the numbers.) I think both problems stem from the fact that the crystal bows out slightly, rather than being perfectly flat like my prior Casios.
on March 20, 2013
I love this watch. When I looked for a new watch in Walmart, the majority of their stock only showed the day of the month, not the month! Not all even showed the day of the week.

This watch has a very clear crystal (mineral) and none of the numerals or text is buried under the bezel like on many watches. In other words, every thing you need to see is visible! Plus it even displays the full year. Those side buttons have never been activated by my shirt cuffs. A real bargain from Amazon! My wife liked it so much, I had to buy her the ladies version.