5.0 out of 5 stars Another Casio Classic.
Published 14 months ago by X

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch
Nice looking watch. However, the band is very short there was not enough links to lengthen. The price was very reasonable.
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Casio Classic., June 15, 2013
X (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio B640WD-1A Men's Silver Digital Retro Stainless Steel Watch (Watch)
Just purchased this model to add to my collection of The El Cheapo line of Casio Watches. They are my favorite watches because of their practicality. They're simple. They work. They last. They don't kill your wallet when they do finally give out (average lifespan for me has been about 10 years each). I also am a fan of classic things and my aesthetic sense tends to gravitate to the humble. The basic Casio watches to me are like Levi's jeans and Chuck Taylors--tastefully timeless (no pun intended) without breaking the bank (though many may argue--and rightfully so--that even Levi's & Chucks are pushing the limits of affordablility these days).

Although technically this model looks like it is an updated version of the classic Casio B612W (Google it), functionally it has all the same features as the A168W-1 (my all-time fave: Casio Men's A168W-1 Electro Luminescence Digital Bracelet Watch) with an added countdown timer. The main display has the important data you need: Time/Month/Date/Day of the Week. The Illuminator light is amber colored instead of blue like on the A168 and it stays lit for 2 secs after you release the button (nice touch). Aesthetically, it's a little more modern-era, rounder and sleeker than the comfort-evoking, retro chunkiness of the B612W & A168W-1. The stainless steel case is now resin, painted to give a frosted silver appearance and the text on the face border is more subdued and minimized (like a MacBook Pro or iPhone--Intentional?). I have no concerns of it not working for the next decade, unless I do something to physically damage it (These aren't G-Shocks). And even if I do, Neither I nor my wallet have any qualms about replacing it with another one.

Don't get me wrong, I like (and own) other more expensive wristwatches, but there will always be a special place in my heart and in my watch rotation for classic Casios.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch, December 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Chic., August 30, 2013
I prefer larger men's watches and this one is perfect it big but not too big. Very nice quality. I have the rose gold one as well and I wear one or the other every day. Does not nick and is waterproof. LOVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, especially the price., May 19, 2014
I don't know where you could possibly get a similar watch for the same price.
It keeps good time. It is readable at all times.
I often forget I have a watch on when doing inside and outside chores, it is the result of which that I sometimes
scratch the watch surface. Am I scratching a $900 Citizen? No, I'm scratching a $19 Casio. And, a few scratches will not
make me want to get a new one.
Overall - A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great watch!, May 14, 2014
Exactly as expected, 80's retro geek chic, accurate too!! The illuminator backlight is LED and very bright! Case is resin with a matte finish, bracelet is stainless steel, crystal is plastic. Why pay thousands of $ for a watch which is less accurate, prone to magnetic fields and shocks and cost another fortune to service and eventually you'll get mugged too! This Casio watch gives you all the functions you need and if it breaks, get a new one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek size with a sleek price, with a countdown timer., April 10, 2014
Chuan (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
All the features of the other slim/retro Casios plus a countdown timer.

Light is not whole face back light but a bulb-type in the corner with yellow light; readable and stays on for few secs with one press.

Alarm is quite soft; more reminder than waker upper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ancient and defective locking. 30 days return policy???, March 29, 2014
D. N. (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
The locking was defective (it is a 20-30 years old locking system, I can't believe Casio never upgraded to a better and improved locking system or they are old stock and the buyer buy them for few cents from China), the watch unlocked by itself and fell on the cement in the parking lot and got damaged on the front. The seller claims that he has a 30 days return policy but there is nowhere specifiend on the description from Amazon.com. I would never buy from this seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic digital, March 21, 2014
I'm a sucker for a classic digital watch. This one is a bit nicer than the common A158/A168, has a cleaner look, and is slightly bigger and has more features, all for a great price. All the timers and alarms work very well. The backlight is two amber LEDs instead of an EL display. My only complaint is the finish on the plastic case. It's painted resin, not metal, and scratches very easily. Oh well, what did I expect for the price. I still like the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pretty neat idea!, July 16, 2014
Andrew J "Bluesified" (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
In a world of smartphones etc, there is really very little need for people to wear watches these days, but many people still do - more as a fashion statement, or as an item of jewelry. Many men seem to favor large heavy analog watches with bezels and lots of hands.
But for me, these retro Casio watches design classics.
I guess that I am what the late great, Douglas Adams once described as one of those "ape-descended life forms [who] are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea".
I think I have 4 or 5 different retro Casios now. I prefer the "gold" ones, but this one is somewhat unique in that it has a Countdown Timer function - which was important to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic late-70s look, great feature set, August 4, 2014
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Great feature set, intuitive interface. It has a date-programmable alarm that is really slick, just like the DW-5600E G-Shock. The backlight is quite strong, and a nice amber hue. It has nice bold digits, and a late-70s cosmetic style. Really a great watch; a notch above the A158W, A168W, and F91W, none of which have a countdown timer or date programmable alarm. It has the return-to-home functionality of the MODE button that Casios used to have, but which they now lack.

Rate and Discover Movies