Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 15, 2013
Just purchased this model to add to my collection of The El Cheapo line of Casio Watches. They are my favorite watches because of their practicality. They're simple. They work. They last. They don't kill your wallet when they do finally give out (average lifespan for me has been about 10 years each). I also am a fan of classic things and my aesthetic sense tends to gravitate to the humble. The basic Casio watches to me are like Levi's jeans and Chuck Taylors--tastefully timeless (no pun intended) without breaking the bank (though many may argue--and rightfully so--that even Levi's & Chucks are pushing the limits of affordablility these days).

Although technically this model looks like it is an updated version of the classic Casio B612W (Google it), functionally it has all the same features as the A168W-1 (my all-time fave: Casio Men's A168W-1 Electro Luminescence Digital Bracelet Watch) with an added countdown timer. The main display has the important data you need: Time/Month/Date/Day of the Week. The Illuminator light is amber colored instead of blue like on the A168 and it stays lit for 2 secs after you release the button (nice touch). Aesthetically, it's a little more modern-era, rounder and sleeker than the comfort-evoking, retro chunkiness of the B612W & A168W-1. The stainless steel case is now resin, painted to give a frosted silver appearance and the text on the face border is more subdued and minimized (like a MacBook Pro or iPhone--Intentional?). I have no concerns of it not working for the next decade, unless I do something to physically damage it (These aren't G-Shocks). And even if I do, Neither I nor my wallet have any qualms about replacing it with another one.

Don't get me wrong, I like (and own) other more expensive wristwatches, but there will always be a special place in my heart and in my watch rotation for classic Casios.
88 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2015
When I received the watched I felt like I had found the perfect one. Fully functional, pretty light, good design. Overall, I was about to write a 5-star review. However, after only one day of normal use – no harsh conditions, really just regular use, knowing I'm quite cautious with my belongings – it got a glitch right on the case.

So beware: even though it's called a "Stainless Steel Watch", the case is NOT made of steel. It's made out of a cheap kind of resin that allows the watch to be lighter, but also makes it much less durable. I really got disappointed with this point.

For under $20, it's still a great watch, worth 4 stars (good quality/price ratio), but I'd rather put a 3-star review to drag your attention on this point if you're looking for a solid or durable watch as I was.
review image
on August 30, 2013
I prefer larger men's watches and this one is perfect it big but not too big. Very nice quality. I have the rose gold one as well and I wear one or the other every day. Does not nick and is waterproof. LOVE.
on December 30, 2013
Nice looking watch. However, the band is very short there was not enough links to lengthen. The price was very reasonable.
on April 10, 2014
All the features of the other slim/retro Casios plus a countdown timer.

Light is not whole face back light but a bulb-type in the corner with yellow light; readable and stays on for few secs with one press.

Alarm is quite soft; more reminder than waker upper.
This is a replacement for a watch just like it that I had for many, many years but lost 2 months ago. It works great and I like it very much. The only drawback I find is that the "stainless" is a thin plating on plastic which will wear off given time and usage (just like my old one did) leaving a grey plastic body exposed. My old watch did this and the design has not changed. The description sounds like a watch machined from a billet of steel but that is not so. It is only a cosmetic cover which saves weight but is not all that strong or durable. But for the money, this is a great watch that should last you many years!
on June 24, 2015
I absolutely LOVE this watch. I've always been the kind of guy who's got a watch on me. However, long story short, I got a rash on there because of all the close contact with typical timex watches. This metallic watch was a godsend. It's got a stopwatch, a countdown timer, displays the date, and a few other things that are pretty nifty. When you got any of the other screens displayed, the time will also be displayed on the time. If the picture that amazon displays was set to the stopwatch screen, the time will be displayed where the date is. Overall, it's a very nice watch. The only drawback is that it is not very user friendly. But have some patience and read the manual thoroughly and you will be fine.
on January 25, 2016
It's a cheap watch. What do you expect? I don't much like the band, the numbers are too small. It has a bunch of features that I don't use. However, it works. It tells the time, day and date. It didn't cost very much money.
Update. The day after I posted this review, the band broke.
on June 16, 2015
The watch looks nice. The band and the backing are stainless steel, but the case is made of something else (possibly non-metallic - not sure).
It was easy to set all the functions and easy to adjust the band! It keeps great time and for $18, you can't go wrong!
on July 16, 2014
In a world of smartphones etc, there is really very little need for people to wear watches these days, but many people still do - more as a fashion statement, or as an item of jewelry. Many men seem to favor large heavy analog watches with bezels and lots of hands.
But for me, these retro Casio watches design classics.
I guess that I am what the late great, Douglas Adams once described as one of those "ape-descended life forms [who] are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea".
I think I have 4 or 5 different retro Casios now. I prefer the "gold" ones, but this one is somewhat unique in that it has a Countdown Timer function - which was important to me.