Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 1, 2012
I'll admit that I've always wanted a black-face watch because I saw my male counterparts with them and thought they looked wicked cool. On top of this, I'm a major time-freak and -- although I've been pretty fine with the $5 watches from Walmart -- I really wanted to finally buy something that looked durable and was made well. I'm not gentle with the stuff I own, and I wanted to finally get a watch I knew wouldn't deteriorate after six months of use (Walmart watches fall apart like clockwork -- literally).

I imagine I'll be editing this review as I get more comfortable with the Baby G. This being said, I ordered the watch four days ago and was blown away by how fast it got to me. Looks great, and the instructions to get it set-up were pretty straight forward.

In regards to wear and appearance and other stuff like functions:
1: The watch band is a bit stiff right now, but I imagine that will begin to go away the more it's worn. (re: update, yes! Does become less stiff with time).
2: My biggest concern when I bought this was that it would like oversized and manly on my wrist. Much to my happiness, it is a good lady's watch. The face isn't too big, and the band isn't too obtrusive. It looks like a solid women's athletic watch without becoming Spec-Ops bulky in size.
3: The Baby-G has an awesome countdown stopwatch feature that I think I'm going to love: Set up the buttons the right way, and it actually gives you a five-second countdown to starting the stopwatch, with the last three seconds beeping an alarm at you before zero.

UPDATE:

Still good watch. Still would buy again. But with some minor grievances to be noted.

1: As I ski and work up in the mountains, I tend to operate in some nippy temperatures. I've noticed that once I'm in an environment where the temperature is less than 10degrees F, the face of the watch starts to fog up. To me, this is an indication that somewhere in that neat little watch there is a little bit of moisture that has leaked in. Whether it be from me swimming every other day or from a little crack that has yet to reveal itself, I do not like this.
2: This is more of a whiner design thing than anything else: I really wish that while I was in stopwatch mode, I could still see the time. I used to have a TIMEX digital and one of my favorite perks of the watch was while in stopwatch mode, I could still see the actual time in the upper left hand corner. Unfortunately, the little Baby G does not do this.
3: Yes, it is hard to see the face in bright conditions. It is even harder with sunglasses. Not a big complaint, but definitely an observation. You will have to bump the light-up button to see the time occasionally.

UPDATE 2: Wristband woes
After two years of hard use, the wristband on this watch finally started to fail. I initially tried to metal epoxy it back together (this has worked previously with other watches), but to no avail. As a result, I had to go on a great and epic voyage to find a Casio wristband that would fit this watch.

As is custom with the free-market and those who use it, Casio likes to make money. With that in mind, within two years of your watch's model being introduced, they will retract the wristband for said watch, so that you cannot has. For those who are not stubborn, determined and/or poor, this usually incites them to just go buy a new watch and chuck the old one. But I am stubborn and poor, so I was determined to find something that could work.

In my case, it was ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to find the exact wristband for this watch. So I improvised. I took measurements of the band, carefully eyeballed my way through numerous Ebay and Amazon's postings and decided upon the following as a replacement:

Casio Genuine Replacement Strap for Baby G Watch Model-BG169A-1A, BG-169A-1B, BG-169A-1C

It is not the EXACT, matte-black wristband that came with your BDG140; in fact, it is a bit shiny and more plasticky, but it fits perfectly well with some delicate/fine-pointed flathead and Phillips screwdriver work and an awful lot of cursing. IT IS A MATCH IN TERMS OF CLASP SIZE, BUT THE LENGTH IS GREATER AND THE BAND IS SHINIER. If you're willing to compromise these things to keep using your excellent watch, it's a great replacement.

IN SUMMATION: still an excellent watch, but a bit peeved at how Casio pulled the exact band for the watch. Nonetheless, if you're stubborn and pigheaded like I am, you'll be able to find a solution.
on June 3, 2015
Every military/ROTC/medical person with small wrists should have one of these. The band is comfortable. It feels so smooth. It's beautifully designed. Fits into regulations. Switches to 24 hour time at the touch of a button. Not too bulky. Gets compliments!!
review image review image review image
on January 23, 2013
Once i got it, i did a few tests
-Really is water proof!
-System of alarm is easy to understand
-My pencil cracked o.o
-Looks great
-Don't seem to have any problems with it

-Month 1-
i recommend placing it on your OPPOSITE hand that you normally use,
the functions of this watch is pretty nice after getting used to it,
it can set up to 2 alarms and 1 snooze as well as a timer,
You can adjust how long it BEEP by intervals of .5 sec each beep.

-Month 2-
After a few months of using this product
my judgement on this watch as remained the same,
The watch may be hard to wear at first
but my hand has abject and by the time i know it,
i didn't even realize i was sleeping with it

-Month 3-
The colors of the watch remain the same,
rich black in every corner of the watch,
There is no sign of any cons as of right now

-Month 4-
Looks good and great,
No sign of scratches nor rust

Seems like the purchase of this item is worth,
in terms of money and wait.

-2 Years-
Battery Finally Died...
on May 11, 2013
I absolutely love this watch! I love the black face on the black band...very stylish. I debated over getting the analog ultraviolet style but since I'm a police officer, needed a digital watch for work. This watch is both durable enough for daily wear at work and stylish enough to wear out at night. And for less than $100 it's hard to find something I can wear for almost every occasion that can tolerate daily abuse. This is the second Baby G watch I purchased on Amazon. I have the gray whale watch that has held up almost two years of daily use. I wanted a black one for change. The price isn't that much cheaper than in a store but most stores don't have a big selection.
on August 1, 2013
I love the look of this watch and all of its features, but sadly had to return it because the face was just too difficult to see in most lights. If you only check the time every once in a while, it would probably be ok, but I check often throughout the day and when I exercise and it would have driven me crazy to constantly be struggling to see the time. I returned it and got the BGD 169 instead, which I love.
on May 31, 2015
I have worn this watch daily for the last few months, and am very pleased with it. I have not found it to be difficult to read as some reviewers have stated. The time/date can be seen in bright light, and even when it's dim. This watch can still be read while wearing polarized glasses, which is an issue for many electronic devices. I like the matte finish, and it has held up very well. It is a larger watch, but I don't find it to be obnoxious and it stays in one place on my wrist without rotating. The band is very adjustable, and the end of the band stays in the little keeper with no issues. A great buy!
on October 22, 2015
Love this watch!! I've used it everyday since I got it. I have very small wrists and this fits perfect for me. It's sturdy and looks great. Only semi
Minus is its sometimes hard to read the face because it's all black but it's not such a minus that I would return., I just use the light more. I would recommend this to anyone. Will definitely be buying more down the line.
review image review image review image
on April 19, 2013
I really like this watch! My only complaint is that it is difficult to read the time in bright light.
on February 6, 2016
This watch arrived yesterday. I've had a white Baby G-Shock for several years, but decided it was starting to look dingy - nics, scratches, and the while the white was still white, it just wasn't as white. I love my Baby G-Shock, though, so I wanted another. I decided to go different and went with this black version. I had already placed the order when I realized it was a black face watch. I hadn't realized it, or thought about it. When it came in, I decided I like it; it's different. I can read the time in light, or the press of any button turns on a nice, subtle backlight.

I'm not a very fashion-forward person. I like functionality. This watch is very functional. Since I already owned a Casio Baby-G, setting it up was easy. I travel a lot, so I love the ease of changing time zones. This model does not have the rubberized "bumpers" over the screen my white watch does, but the crown seems to be higher, so that makes up for it. (I can be clumsy, and I throw my watch in my bag without thinking, so protection from me is important.)

The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is the band. It is stiff out of the box; no worries, it'll break in. But, it is about 1/2-1" shorter than my white watch. I have narrow yet thick wrists. On my white watch, I could wear it loosely and still have plenty of length (about 4-5 holes), just in case the watch caught on something and started to slip off (the latch would almost always catch on another hole, or the security loop would have plenty of length to hold in place). But, with this black watch, I only have 2 holes. The security loop doesn't have much extra strap to secure.
on October 14, 2013
Love this watch. It looks great for females- not too big and bulky. It also shows the seconds, this is great for my line of work! I love that it shows the date and the day in words. Never leave home without it!!