Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch
Price:$15.89 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I own the basic black, no backlight, Casio calculator watch. The first one I owned, the battery lasted for 10 years (turning the button beep prolongs battery life) and I lost the watch when the watchband finally broke.

When I went to replace it, I upgraded to a more expensive model that had a backlight on demand and stored phone numbers and appointments. The battery only lasted a few months. I replaced it and it lasted only a few months again. I bought another basic model.

I've now had that watch for three years and still going strong. I bought one for my teenage son and he loves it.

You get:

1. a digital watch that shows day, month, date year and time

2. a calculator that does simple math functions (buttons are small and take some getting used to

3. a stopwatch

4. an alarm clock

5. dual time function (can be set to show time in another time zone; I've never used this)

6. a watch so cheap, you don't have to worry about losing it and muggers don't want (this actually happened to me, the mugger wanted my wallet and my watch. when he saw my watch, he laughed and told me to keep it).

all for under 20 dollars. you can't beat this functionality for the price. I'll never buy another watch. I was recently given a t-shirt with this watch on it and the caption "Genuine Bling". True dat.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2010
I just turned 34 today. I had been surfing and apparently raving that I had to get one of these. I have wanted one since I was 7 years old. The slightly nerdy kid in my 2nd grade class had one, and I was green with envy. Every few years, I would notice Casio is still making this watch, and every time, I thought to myself: "Nah, not enough features." or "Nah, electronic watches are boring." (I'm a Watch Idiot Savant, or WIS for short. I normally like mechanical watches)

Anyway, I had a couple of beers last night and was raving to my wife that I need to get one of these. I had waited 27 years, and that is quite long enough. Back then, this watch was a relatively new design. It was only 3 years old. In those days, Casio didn't come out with new designs every week like they do now.

So today, she surprised me with this. When I look at it, I am transported back to 1983 in 2nd grade, and I remember how envious I was of Nicholas, who had this watch and was all stoked about going to see 'The Return of the Jedi'.

Enough of my sentimental rambling. That is not why you're reading this. (if indeed *anyone* is reading this...)

I will review this from the standpoint of an electrical engineer and owner of 4 other Casio watches. I've had countless others, but I'm down to 5 now. Ergonomically, this watch could not be any better. Looking at the black resin band, you might think that it sticks to the wrist. It does not, because Casio put cut-outs in the strap up near the watch body. The band is soft and pliable. Compared to modern Casio digital watches, it does not do much. The main screen includes time of day and the day of the week. The next screen is the calculator. The next screen is the alarm and hourly chime. The next screen is Dual Time. The next screen is stopwatch. Then, we go back to the main screen. No countdown timer, no moon phase, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, not even a micro-light. (micro lights are the tiny incandescent that were barely adequate to light up the display to read the time. Micro-lights predate ILLUMINATOR and ELECTRO-LUMINESCENCE.)

However, the result is that the screens are not cluttered with junk. There aren't weird symbols, the meaning of which one would need to consult the booklet.

You might look at the funky way the rubber buttons protrude up through the watch body. Don't laugh too hard. These are MUCH easier to press than those of later Casio calculator watches. Later models were made to be more water resistant, so they had to seal up the keypad and use membrane-type buttons. I have one such later model, a DBC-150. (Databank Calculator, 150 telememos) It has more features, including a nice backlight and a countdown timer. But the calculator buttons either require a fingernail or a VERY hard press with the tip of the finger. Not the trusty CA53W-1! A normal press with a fingertip is all it takes.

The CA53W-1 is also not bristling with buttons from the sides like later model Casios were. Just one metal button protrudes, and the recessed metal button for 'ADJUST'. Less buttons to catch on clothing and accidentally press. The time is set through the use of the numeric keypad. The stopwatch is also controlled by this keypad.

The face of the watch boldly advertises: 'WATER RESIST, ALARM CHRONO, WR'. A word more on 'WATER RESIST'. If a depth is not given, then this means it is resistant to splashes, such as one might encounter in a light rain or a random drop or two from washing one's hands. It is not designed to be submerged. Others reviewers have indicated that they've submerged their CA53W-1 with no ill effects, but I'm not going to risk it. I'll take my DW-5600E G-Shock for that kind of duty.

Also worth mentioning is that this watch is significantly thinner and shorter than later calculator watches. It is literally 30% smaller than my DBC-150. It is so light, one doesn't even realize one is wearing a watch.

The bottom line is that for someone who has the right kind of fashion sense, this is a better watch to have then a Rolex (I have one) or Movado. It makes a certain statement, and that statement is: "I am all about practicality. I am an unapologetic geek. Take your trendy, blocky-for-no-reason, Ashton Kutcher-esque Kenneth Cole watch and take a long walk on a short pier."

One last tidbit of info. When I set the date on my watch, the earliest year was 1980. Happy 35th birthday, Casio Calculator Watch.
review image review image review image review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
CASIO watches are the best thing that has ever invented. I bought this watch a little less than a month ago and was shocked and awed by the amount of attention I received over it. Before I bought the CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator I was a nothing, I was no one, no one on my campus recognized me. All of the people I knew were stupid gaming retards, all they cared about was Modern Warfare 2 coming out soon. They were like "Sean come play Modern Warfare with us, it totally is the best game ever. Play Modern Warfare to tune your skills for Modern Warfare 2." and I told them to get some lotion and go into the bathroom because I wasn't playing any more video games, I was becoming a man. The first thing I did was to sell my xbox 360 and all its accessories on craigslist for $150 (I had a lot of stuff), the reason being was that I had an epiphany when they told me to play Modern Warfare with them. The epiphany is: there will always be new video games coming out, most of them aren't worth your time. Anyways so I sold my xbox, and then I got a haircut. Well I got many hairs cut and ended up getting a fashionable haircut like that of Edward Cullen on Twilight. I figure all the girls love him right? They all want to take him into the bathroom without lotion or Maxim, if I look like him, I will get all the babes. I also got a Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym, now I work out 3 times a week and I am totally ripped (well at least I'm ripping). I then purchased this CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator, the first girl that talked to me about it was Janet, from my circuit analysis class. She told me that she liked my watch, that maybe we should hang out sometime. Janet had always been my dream girl, smart, funny, engineering major, mildly overweight (but in a good way), and she loved CASIO watches. I mean who doesn't right? Well I decided that the first girl that talked to me about my watch was going to be the one. I left circuit analysis class walking next to Janet, my ex-friend Jake from Modern Warfare came up to me and asked if I wanted to play in 20 minutes. I asked him what 7251 times 8 was, he couldn't tell me. I flashed him my CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator and told him to go into the bathroom with some lotion and a copy of Maxim, he knew immediately that he would never talk to me again. I cannot more highly recommend this watch to anyone, it is comfortable, has a watch, calculator, alarm clock, and most importantly for Janet and I it has a stopwatch.
6464 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2005
I have had mine for eight years and have never replaced the battery. The original band just broke the other day. This watch cost about $18.00 eight years ago and it has performed very well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2005
I had this watch for over six years, I am replacing it only because my puppy chew the bands on it, otherwise I highly recomend it, specially at this price. Thanks.
on January 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
There are two watches you will NEED in life.

1) a bad watch.
This will help you appreciate good watches.

2) A Casio CA53W-1
This watch is a perfect blend of practicality, style, efficiency and just pure awesomeness.

I was given this watch when I was 4. I am now 23 and have my 12th CA53W-1 on my arm. (I am rather rough on the watchbands). I am fairly certain that as long as they continue producing this watch I will wear it until the day I die. This is the best watch ever.
on July 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
Definitely a product produced from a master engineer who knows how to make the ladies scream. This time piece really exudes manliness. I get compliments on it all the time.

- "Oh wow is that a calculator?"
Me - "Oh why yes it is."
- "That is really smart. Take me now!"

Purchase this now if you have any sense left in you.
on March 7, 2012
I just got this watch and its a fun to wear nerd watch for not a lot of money. If you like nerd watch, you can't go wrong with this one.

- The watch is light weight and the strap is comfortable to wear.

- In time keeping mode, you need to press the "divide" button to see the date. I kinda wished that the date is shown as default.

- The chronograph will *beep* every 10 min. It will count up to 24hr but you need to press the "divide" button to check the elasped hours.

- I don't think I will be using the calculator function heavily. It works, but its not a scientify calculator.

- Not a lot of calculator or databank Casio watch with keyboard is water resistant, but this one is. Its nice to know that you don't have to worry about the watch when you are washing your hands.

- No back light! I kinda wished that it has one.

- Not all settings are easy to find. e.g. To set the time from AM/PM to 24hr, in time setting mode, you need to hit the "+" button; to set the button beep on and off, in calculator mode, you need to hit the "ADJ" button.

- Drilled lug hole is a nice touch. I like it cause its easier to change strap with that.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Imagine you are in a meeting. You are in a conference room on a low-mid-level floor - just high enough to have a view, though not a memorable one. You are sitting in a chair at a table that comfortably fits eight. The chairs and table were selected by a small ad hoc committee who perused the Staple catalog to find furniture that communicates professionalism and minds the bottom line. Seated to your right is Jan from Biz Dev. To your left is Gary from Finance. Across from you is That Clueless Guy from Marketing Who Is Also A Mouth-Breather. At the head of the table is the president. The Big Dog. The Big Cheese. The Big Gun. The Big Fish. The Big Enchilada. In Spanish, you'd call him El Presidente but you do not speak Spanish. In Hawaiian, you'd call him the Big Kahuna but you do not speak Hawaiian. Hawaiians don't even speak Hawaiian. Everyone is in "professional attire." Except That Clueless Guy. He's wearing pleated khakis. Not so professional. You've been told he doesn't wash his hands after using the men's room. Not so professional. You have seen him squish bagels on a platter to test its freshness. You have seen him select a bagel, take it off a platter, and then put it back because he's changed his mind. Too many carbs. And all you can think is, holy mother of an unloving god every bagel on this platter has pee on it. You warn your friends, Sara from Production and Jared from Human Resources, to stay away from the bagels.

The meeting is happening. Words are exchanged, confirmed, reviewed, echoed, added on, piggybacked, circled back, and tabled. Notes have been taken, bulleted, copied, cc'd, and uploaded to the Intranet. Jan from Biz Dev wants you to "run some numbers."

Quick: What do you do?

Do you
A) go back to your desk, to your workstation, open Excel and click on "run some numbers"? (It is right next to the "freeze panes" option.)
B) do math with paper and pencil and figure out that Lender B is quoting a lower APR, based on 8 percent plus only two points (Note the fees can be separated out and are not included in the APR.)?
C) USE YOUR CALCULATOR WATCH

If you do C you will gain the respect of everyone at the meeting, including the Head Honcho. You will be promoted, probably.

This watch speaks volumes about you. It says you come to meetings prepared. It says you are professional and conscientious and organized. It says that you love math. And, actually, you do love math. Except maybe calculus. You adore geometry but it's totally useless.

This watch says you like to have fun. In fact, your Aunt Helen once looked at your watch and said, "Oh now isn't that fun?" Your watch is retro. Your watch is affordable. Your watch is water resistant. This means you can take a shower with your watch. You can be caught in a rainstorm and tell everyone what time is it and also do multiple-digit multiplication. You can go swimming with it. But if you want to go to the beach, leave the watch at home. Watches and sand are not good friends. And why are you wearing a watch to the beach anyway? You will not need to do math at the beach. I happen to hate the beach, so I'm always wearing this watch.

I've had this watch for six years now. In that time it has worked flawlessly and I've gotten two raises and a promotion. The watch has two time "screens," so you can set one time to local time and another to snack time. It has a stopwatch, so you can time boiling pasta. It has an alarm clock that you will not hear and there's no snooze so why bother. It does not have a light. It looks good on any wrist. I am a lady. It will also look good on a man. Thank you for washing your hands after using the restroom.
on January 31, 2015
Verified Purchase
I've always wanted a calculator watch. Now that I'm pushing 30, I felt that I'm an adult and I can do what I want and I want to buy a calculator watch, dammit. Yeah, I said it. You're not my mom. Deal with it.

It's great. It has dual time, a stopwatch, alarm, tells the date and day of the week, AND A FRIGGIN' CALCULATOR. If you wear it tightly enough, you can feel your pulse. So it's like an Apple Watch only it costs under $20, has a 3 year manufacturer's warranty, and the battery lasts five years. Doesn't send text messages, but you can write such words as 'BOOBS', 'BOOBIES', 'BOOBLESS', 'BEES', and 'SHOE'. So if you're a man of few words and your friend is right next to you, it's basically the same as iMessage.

Knocked off a star because the screen seems to lack some contrast. Not sure if it's permanent or the battery is low. Can't recharge the battery, so I don't know.
review image