4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy It unless it's selling for $299!
The CDP-100 is a great practice piano for anyone who is looking for a temporary-somewhat portable piano to practice on.
Published on December 2, 2009 by ww

3.0 out of 5 stars It's true...the speakers are a deal breaker
I purchased a used version of this based off the previous reviews. I definitely agree the weighted keyboard has a nice feel to it (this is coming from someone who's used acoustic pianos in the past) and the keyboard itself is very slim & not too heavy...easy to carry around.

What was really disappointing was the sound...it sounds a little masked, not...
Published on January 14, 2010 by Smart Consumer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy It unless it's selling for $299!, December 2, 2009
ww (Athens, GA USA) - See all my reviews
The sound is decent, I really like the headphone jack feature which allows me to plug in my headphones when I practice. With the headphones on the notes sound crisp and sharp, however relying on just the built-in speakers the piano sounds a little dull and could be louder. The foot pedal isn't that great, I found myself holding it down the entire time to hear the effect; but it's a minor issue. The weighted-hammer keys feel just like real piano, really great.

I am very happy with the CDP-100 and highly recommend this as a piano for people who don't have the money/space for a real piano. As a college student, I think this is the perfect keyboard since I can put on my headphones in when I practice and not disturb my roommates.

However, Don't make the mistake I made in buying the CDP-100 for $399! After I bought this, guitar center had a holiday special and was selling the CDP-100 for $299, so check there first!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's true...the speakers are a deal breaker, January 14, 2010
Smart Consumer (Lomita, CA United States) - See all my reviews

What was really disappointing was the sound...it sounds a little masked, not sharp/crisp. I'm not very picky, I just wanted a full keyboard to practice on, but this was something that bothered me. I actually was able compare it to a Casio WK-200 (which is a cheaper keyboard) & surprisingly the CDP-100 sounded worse than it's cheaper counterpart.

I brushed off someone's previous comment about the sound because I figured it couldn't be that bad. It is that bad, so take this into consideration if you're planning to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Casio CDP-100 88-Note Weighted Hammer Action Digital Piano
We purchased this item for my wife who is an acoomplished pianist. She has a grand piano and has played and taught piano (private and college level).

Reason for purchase, to have a portable item that could be used by us in churches or situations where a decent paino was not available. This unit is very portable. A little bulkier then the smaller keyboards but you do have the benefit of a standard piano keyboard.

She is happy with the tone quality and action of the keys. The Casio will definately handle most of the music that she would play.

She realizes that this does not compare to her grand piano but she admits that it is an excellent item for the money.

The only drawback is that it does not have a dedicated line to hook into an amplifier. An adapter has to be used on the headphones jack.

Definately a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Done Better..., December 5, 2009
This is the best deal in 88 weighted keyboards these days, hands down. Not sure why Casio thought it was a good idea to have a nice board but then put only one piece of crap stereo 1/8 inch jack output. I guess it's their way of saying "You haven't paid enough to actually use this thing for anything professional." Would it have killed them to put a couple more useable outs on this thing for an extra 15 cents?
Other than that, the speakers suck, but the board is pretty nice and it's light weight. I gave it 4 stars because of the price, which is actually a good deal, and midi outs make it useable as a controller for recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good piano -- depending on your intended use, October 20, 2010
I keep my CDP-100 at my office, for occasional use while figuring out chords, working out a transposition or just zoning out. The one time I took it out to a gig, I was stunned and embarrassed to discover that it had no line out -- there was no way to amplify it unless I was willing to use the 3.5mm headphone jack!

I now have a second Casio, a Privia PX-330, which is a terrific gigging piano because of its incredibly light weight (it's truly a one-handed carry), and great array of sounds (including decent organ tones), but I'm glad I didn't sell my CDP-100. It does have MIDI, which has proved handy for building tracks in GarageBand on a couple of occasions.

I have been pleased with the built-in speakers, when I've had occasion to use them -- I think they're well-tuned to the tones of the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice starter keyboard, September 17, 2010
L.A. SaxMan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Don't buy a non-weighted keyboard for your first keyboard! It's not the way to truly learn piano.

This is the most decently-priced weighted keyboard that I could find. I am glad that I bought it. I agree with the other reviewer who said you should try to find it for $299 instead of $399. I bought mine for $299. I've now had it for about 2 years. I am glad that I bought it. It has been great to learn on.

I totally agree with the other reviewers who said that the speakers kind of suck. They do. But hey, for the price, it's still a nice keyboard to practice on. I guess you could hook it up to an amp if you don't like the built-in speakers, although I haven't tried yet.

I recently had an issue where my right speaker wasn't working. But then, the next day it started working again. However, 90% of the time, I use headphones. Another disadvantage is that it only has a 1/8 in. headphone jack, not a 1/4 in. jack, so you can't use your studio-quality headphones.

I have only used this keyboard as an alternative to an actual piano, and solely for at-home individual practice. I don't recommend this as a performance keyboard, because it has the built-in speakers and because it only has 5 different sound effects. But, for just practicing so you can learn the piano by practicing scales, hanon exercises, etc., it works great.

I imagine that if I ever do get around to buying a nicer keyboard, I may just keep this one around just to practice my fingering technique, because it really does have a pretty genuine piano feel. In fact, I find that it is actually a tad bit harder to push down than a regular piano. I find that this helps, because when I do get to play a regular piano, it is a bit easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck, July 2, 2008
This review is from: Casio CDP-100 88-Note Weighted Hammer Action Digital Piano
I bought this for my twin nieces for them to start piano lessons on. I figure it will be fine for them for 3 or 4 years. If they truly want to continue playing, it will be time to switch to a real acoustic grand. Until then it is perfectly suitable for a beginner or someone who is not trying to play any difficult/advanced classical pieces. Wonderful for those who don't want to annoy the neighbors. Action is good, sounds are too. My only criticism is the pedal. There's only one and it is more of a foot switch than a pedal. No biggie since you can buy a decent replacement that looks and feels like a piano pedal for about $20. Ideally a piano should have 3 pedals (Google "sostenuto" and you'll see why) But the fact is most folks only use the sustain pedal anyway so I'm really picking nits here. More expensive digital pianos have 3 pedals but they also have lots of features/sounds you don't need and are priced close to three times what this baby costs. If you REALLY need 3 pedals, you probably should be playing acoustic anyway.

Bottom Line? The best bang for the buck out there. Replace the cheapie pedal and buy a cover for it and you'll have something that compares favorably with digital pianos that cost two to three times as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal for Hammer-Action + MIDI, January 29, 2011
Length:: 0:44 Mins

I spend a lot of time arranging existing songs my beginning piano students. I had been entering in notes one at a time in Sibelius but finally decided to invest in a keyboard with MIDI capability so that I may play in the notes rather than point and click them in one at a time. The hammer-action keys work pretty well, although it cannot replace the feel of a piano for playing trills, repeated notes, and big chords. The keyboard comes with a plastic sustain pedal, but you will have to upgrade to a sturdier, quieter pedal if you expect to make music. I recommend the M-Audio sustain pedal. The other thing I like about the Casio CDP-100 is that it doesn't have all of those distracting, annoying features (e.g. 100 rhythms, 200 tones, 50 songs, light-up keys, etc.). I just wanted a basic keyboard with weighted action, a decent tone quality, and MIDI function, and that's exactly what I got!

Keep in mind that the buzzing sound you hear in the video is feedback noise from my recording equipment being too close to the keyboard. Otherwise, the sound quality is okay, although the speakers don't play very loud even on max. I usually play with headphones, and it sounds amazing! See my review of the Sennheiser HD 202 Dynamic Headphones, which sell on Amazon for <$30. You could probably also just plug in some external speakers if volume is a concern for you. My only other issue with this keyboard is the price. Other retailers lower the price to $299 (from $399) during the holidays. Overall, this is a good instrument for the price and perfect for an adult beginner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Keyboard, January 13, 2007
This review is from: Casio CDP-100 88-Note Weighted Hammer Action Digital Piano
We were moving overseas, and we were looking for a fullsize keyboard that could be put in checked baggage, and cost less than 500 dollars. The CDP100 fit the bill.

I'm a casual piano player, and it works great for me. the sound is nice, and it isn't heavy at all.

Cons are that aside from a midi port, there isn't a usb port or anything to be able to save and store music that you play.

So if you just want to play a full size piano, and have it be light, not take up space, and be portable, this is a good one. If you are interested in music authoring, etc...there are probably better keybaords for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for a beginner, October 23, 2010
G. Berger (Bellerose, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this keyboard used for a young student. Before I delivered it, I did some comparisons against my Yamaha Motif 8, which costs many multiples of what this keyboard does. My overall impression is that this is a very good deal for the money. It has full-size keys, it's touch-sensitive (don't assume all keyboards are), has a nice feel and the piano sound is very good, especially through headphones. It's a little heavy on the bass on the low end and brighter than I prefer on the high end, but not too bad. I like the Motif piano much better, but then again there is that huge price difference. I don't find the built-in speakers to be that bad. You certainly wouldn't gig with them but they seem adequate for home use.
On the downside, the one thing I did notice that no one else here mentioned is that the keys are very noisy. With the sound off, they clatter and are MUCH nosier than the Motif. However it didn't bother me during normal playing, although if I paid attention to it I could hear them under the music.
Aside from that the biggest issue is the lack of a proper line out.
The wall-wart plug is huge, the biggest I've ever seen. It actually covered most of a 5-outlet power strip. Of course you can plug it in so it hangs off the end.
Overall, it's a bargain at this price and I think that for most people the key noise and lack of a line out will not make much of a difference.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›