5.0 out of 5 stars Love watch - Here's how to get English manual & adjust band!, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Casio Wave Ceptor Tough Solar MULTIBAND6 Men's Watch WVA-M630D-1A3JF (Japan Import) (Watch)
I got my watch yesterday and so far I love it! I plan to post this review under several of the "Casio Wave Scepter Tough Solar Radio-Controlled Watch Multiband" watches because YOU NEED THIS INFO TO GET AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE MANUAL!!! These watches are all pretty much the same - just different style faces, which is really nice choice wise! There are not many reviews yet (7/24/2013) so I wanted to get this info out.

First, the watch comes with a Japanese Manual ONLY. However, this is not a problem. Just look at your watch back for the 4-digit start to the model number, which on my watch has a box around it. The same number will also be printed on the front of the Japanese manual. Use the link below [THANK YOU RICHARD H. MARTIN for your 6/29/13 review & Link info.!] but just substitute your watch's four-digit number for the one I used(mine was 4709). Be sure to leave everything else the same. You will need Adobe Reader on your computer, which is a free download from Adobe.com (almost everybody will already have this on their computer). The manual will be downloaded for you to print out at home (5 pages). You should also save a copy on your computer for future reference. The manual for my watch is written in very good English so it is very easy to understand! It prints in small letters, though, so have a magnifying glass handy :-)

Here is the link: [...]

Second, the watchband. Gone are the days of taking the watch to a jeweler to have the band adjusted! Gone is the hassle of trying to remove tiny pins to adjust it yourself! Tucked into the Japanese manual will be a separate slip of paper with directions for adjusting the band. They are in Japanese. I could not find an English language copy anywhere. Here is what you need to do:

1. This is the most important step, and the one that caused me the most trouble: Get over the idea of having to remove links! You will NOT be removing any. No pins or tools at all will be required. It is so easy that, if you haven't adjusted one of these new bands, you will be astonished.

2. Look at the pictures and forget the Japanese writing. Ignore the picture at the very top of the page, since it just shows you the overall operation of the catch. Look at the three pictures in the middle of the page. The first shows you how to open the locking tabs to open the catch of your watchband. The second (middle) picture is the important one. You fold the first section of the catch back in the direction of the arrow. This unlocks the band and allows it to slide in or out of the locking mechanism to lengthen or tighten the band respectively. NOTE THE ENLARGED PICTURE below that shows you how to sight through the little square hole on the locking mechanism. You want to line up the space BETWEEN TWO LINKS before folding down and locking the band to its new length. (I think having the crack between two links visible through the square hole assures that the catch can properly lock between links when folded back down.) Now fold the band back down to its normal position.

3. That's it. The extra links remain under the watchband. At first I thought I was going to hate having them there and that the extra lengths were going to make the band uncomfortable. I looked for ways to remove them, but there are no pins so I don't see any way to remove them! Then I tried it and thought "well, this is NOT going to work...". So far, however, I have found that I don't feel them at all. Some people may be bothered but so far I am surprised that I am not. The good news is that the band looks like it would be easy to replace with a more traditional metal watchband if you wish. I would suggest that you give it a chance first.

4. The good news: Since those links remain there, it means that if you gain or lose weight you can adjust the size of the band in seconds. If you are working outside and your arm swells a bit and the band is uncomfortable, just quickly adjust it a link larger. When you cool off in the air conditioning, slip off the watch and tighten it again. VERY nice!

Third - reception for the Wave Scepter feature. (Actually, on the back of the watch it is spelled "Wave Ceptor".) The first step is to set the watch to the correct time region. The process is easy and clearly set out in the English version of the manual. In the U.S. the transmitter is in Colorado. I got a signal just fine here in South Western Ohio. I will be traveling to Virginia soon but we have other "atomic clocks" in Virginia that get a signal from Colorado just fine, so I do not think there will be any problem there either.

I was a little disappointed because I thought the digital display would be larger. However, the numbers on the display are quite clear and easy to read. I've decided that I like it. The watch does not have a countdown timer, but it does have a stopwatch, alarm, dual time zone, and LED light that lights the digital display only. MY model (4709) does not have an analogue second hand, but seconds are displayed in the digital display. You can quickly and easily cycle the digital display between time, day/date, and month/date. You also use the digital display to check/set watch functions. The digital display can show the status of the last time signal and will tell you the date and time of the last successful time sync.

All and all a very nice watch - thin, light, and very nice looking. Highly recommended!
Slacker Sonny
7/24/2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features at low cost, June 22, 2014
The watch does what it says in its description. It is very light. It is not easy to set up without manual, however once you locate online English instructions you will have to do it just once. If it does not break, it should last for many years showing perfect time without need to adjust anything (e.g. perpetual calendar). Luminous hands plus LED light add to its versatility.
This is an inexpensive, practical and accurate watch for daily use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never change the battery. Never set the time., January 7, 2014
Pablo Halpern (New Hampshire USA) - See all my reviews
First, a disclaimer: I have an old Wave Ceptor Tough Solar watch that is very much like this one, but not identical.

The most annoying thing about most electronic watches is replacing the battery. It is nearly certain that the battery will die at the most inconvenient time and that finding a replacement will be a hassle. With this watch, you never need to replace the battery. I've owned my watch for many years and it has never failed to keep the time. I don't need to do anything special, such as leaving it in the sun -- just my regular activities give it enough light to keep it charged up.

The other thing, of course, is that this watch sets itself every night from the time beacon in Colorado. So, if you're in the continental US (and probably much of Canada and Mexico, and of course, Japan), the watch will stay almost perfectly accurate. The only time I need to fiddle with it is to change the time zone when traveling. After changing the time zone, it's fun to watch as the minute hand zips around a few times until the new time is set! Setting the time zone is not hard, but it's not intuitive (at least not with my model), so remember to look at the instructions before you travel. The watch sets itself to Daylight Saving time automatically, which is awesome!

The watch is sufficiently water resistant that I don't take it off for swimming. It's really the most care-free watch I've ever owned.

One negative: my old watch has a metal band like this one, but the first "link" on each side is actually plastic with a chrome paint that eventually chipped off, exposing the grey plastic underneath. The band on this new watch is clearly different, so I don't know if the same problem still exists. Otherwise, the watch is very tough and has stood up to a lot of abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, April 27, 2013
Simple, elegant interface. Good led light. Thinner than the old Wave Ceptors. Power save is cute. Easy setup with quick Atomic Sync. Band is a little bulky.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this watch!, December 29, 2013
Not going to subtract from the rating, it was my decision to order this model directly from Japan and have directions in Japanese. However, the directions in English for similiar Waveceptor watches do not exactly match. Getting it figured out, but a bit of a struggle. Have yet to obtain a time snyc from NBS/WWV Fort Collins, but radio reception appears to be bad at the moment, even on my professional communications receiver. A manual time hack tries, but returns "error."

Update. Located the correct operation instructions, in English, at: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, January 31, 2014
At first I did not know what to chose: an analog or a digital watch. Then came this fellow along: a perfect combination of both - much better than a analog chronograph. Very easy to operate and a beauty to wear.It's very accurate and never needs a new battery!
I would certainly recommand it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch -- better than Casio watches made for USA sale., August 31, 2014
I love my new watch. Very nice looking, all features work. Wave Ceptor (atomic clock), solar and light powered.
This watch is all stainless steel, and is imported from Japan.
*** Caution *** Casio watches made for sale in the USA have at least some plastic links, generally between the steel watch and the steel band. These weak links break first. All my previous Casio watches broke at the plastic link between the watch and the band.
This directly imported watch does NOT have any plastic links, and I expect it to last much longer.
This watch has easy to adjust wrist band length. Difficult to describe, but easy to do.
When watch band is "open", unlatched, one side of the band is just simple links, the other side of the band is attached to an elaborate multi-part latch.
The link side is held by a small box like component on the latch side of the band.
This box can be unlocked to allow more or fewer links to be pushed into the 'box" and that changes the length of the band when closed.
Holding the unlatched watch in your hands, with the watch body toward your body, you will note an arc in the latch which is concave toward the watch body. This is the part of the latch assembly which is attached to the "box" which secures the band links.
Grasping that box-like structure, bend the concave arc away from you. This allows the segments of the band to be pushed into or pulled out of the "box", adjusting the length of the band.
This is quick and easy after you know the trick.
The included instructions are in Japanese for this made-for-Japan-inport. You can download and print English directions:
The English directions are very fine print, and a bit complicated, but they seem to be correct, and necessary.
Enjoy this great watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than my previous Wave Ceptor, June 8, 2014
Mr. Spock (Alabama, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this watch to replace my previous Casio Wave Ceptor, which developed moisture under the crystal, presumably because a seal failed after approximately four years. I'd become hooked on the convenience of light (not just solar) charging and automatic time setting, so I began to look though Casio's current offerings on amazon.com and elsewhere.

I've only had the watch less than a week, so I'll post again if I encounter any problems down the line. But I'm very pleased so far:

• The watch is thinner and feels and looks less bulky than my previous one. The buttons don't protrude as far, and the entire case is made of metal (or it appears that way). I also like the metal band, which can be adjusted in a few seconds without tools.

• I prefer digits over hash marks to denote hours and minutes. (The 5 and 7 are missing and the 6 is cut off because of the digital display.)

• I like the integrated LCD readout, which is perfect for showing the day and date, as well as world time, stopwatch, alarm, and other functions.

• The light, an orange-yelow LED at the 6 o'clock position, is much more functional than the one in my old watch. I can read the time easily in the dark.

• It took some effort to learn how to set the watch's functions using its three buttons (my last watch had four), but it's fairly straightforward once you get used to it.

• The auto time setting function has worked well. The watch has been able to receive radio signals, which are broadcast from Colorado every night. (I'm in the South USA.) The manual suggests pointing the watch toward a window overnight, but I've not had to do that.

• The watch arrived with its internal light-rechargable battery at the mid charge level. After exposing it to sunlight for a few hours each day, it's now at the highest charge level. (I've read that keeping the watch in direct, bright sunlight outdoors too long can cause overheating, so I did this inside, though a window.) Based on my previous experience, I don't expect charging to be a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Atomic-Wristwatch - love it !!!, August 9, 2014
Best Watch ever - I am so impressed. The setup was easy, it works really in US and Europe - Time changing is a half-automatic - you need to set Timezone and then it will set Time instantly. Start process with pressing and holding Button A ( Light - Top right ) for more then 3 Seconds - until Display blinks - then press Button B ( Bottom left ) Once to get to Time-Zone, then adjust with Button C ( Bottom right ) and then Button A for exiting Setup.
The Manual you can find in all Languages on www.Casio.com - when you enter the Model# on Back of Wristwatch ( here: Model# 5161 - http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualsearch.php?MODULE=5161&submit.x=41&submit.y=4&cid=009 )

That Band - Length is very easy to set up too - just remove Watch from Arm - bend the site from the Band without Latch over until Flex-Band looses - then adjust length and then bend backward to tighten the Arresting of the Band again.

4.0 out of 5 stars suits me, May 10, 2014
Peter Stoll (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
Watches are very personal. This one suits me. I like the styling. Most of the functions and buttons make sense. I have good hopes for durability. I don't really like this metal band as well as I liked the resin band on my previous Wave Ceptor. But that one fractured in the resin part of the case--so my spare band was useless.

I like that it has five separate settable alarms. I also like the extremely simple process for cancelling all five (think of a situation such as--you are in a concert or a place of worship, and wish to be sure you make no noise). I do find the procedure for cancelling an individual alarm non-intuitive, but most other control actions are quite natural.

I've very pleased at the hope of never dealing with the battery for the life of the watch, as the solar cell in my previous Wave Ceptor had no trouble maintaining a high charge without my taking any pains to assure light for charging.

Similarly, I have not needed to take any trouble to assure radio time signal reception. In fact the watch arrived at my door reporting that it had received a time signal that morning while it was still in shipment to me!

I do live in New Mexico, so my ease of reception from WWVB's Colorado transmitter may well not apply to you, especially if you live in furthest New England or outside the lower 48 of the USA.

I paid extra for quick shipping, and got accurate information from the seller and from DHL. As I was warned, it took a little while to start my way, but once moving it came impressively fast.

Rate and Discover Movies