Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on January 7, 2014
First, a disclaimer: I have an old Wave Ceptor Tough Solar watch that is very much like this one, but not identical.

The most annoying thing about most electronic watches is replacing the battery. It is nearly certain that the battery will die at the most inconvenient time and that finding a replacement will be a hassle. With this watch, you never need to replace the battery. I've owned my watch for many years and it has never failed to keep the time. I don't need to do anything special, such as leaving it in the sun -- just my regular activities give it enough light to keep it charged up.

The other thing, of course, is that this watch sets itself every night from the time beacon in Colorado. So, if you're in the continental US (and probably much of Canada and Mexico, and of course, Japan), the watch will stay almost perfectly accurate. The only time I need to fiddle with it is to change the time zone when traveling. After changing the time zone, it's fun to watch as the minute hand zips around a few times until the new time is set! Setting the time zone is not hard, but it's not intuitive (at least not with my model), so remember to look at the instructions before you travel. The watch sets itself to Daylight Saving time automatically, which is awesome!

The watch is sufficiently water resistant that I don't take it off for swimming. It's really the most care-free watch I've ever owned.

One negative: my old watch has a metal band like this one, but the first "link" on each side is actually plastic with a chrome paint that eventually chipped off, exposing the grey plastic underneath. The band on this new watch is clearly different, so I don't know if the same problem still exists. Otherwise, the watch is very tough and has stood up to a lot of abuse.
on August 31, 2014
I love my new watch. Very nice looking, all features work. Wave Ceptor (atomic clock), solar and light powered.
This watch is all stainless steel, and is imported from Japan.
*** Caution *** Casio watches made for sale in the USA have at least some plastic links, generally between the steel watch and the steel band. These weak links break first. All my previous Casio watches broke at the plastic link between the watch and the band.
This directly imported watch does NOT have any plastic links, and I expect it to last much longer.
This watch has easy to adjust wrist band length. Difficult to describe, but easy to do.
When watch band is "open", unlatched, one side of the band is just simple links, the other side of the band is attached to an elaborate multi-part latch.
The link side is held by a small box like component on the latch side of the band.
This box can be unlocked to allow more or fewer links to be pushed into the 'box" and that changes the length of the band when closed.
Holding the unlatched watch in your hands, with the watch body toward your body, you will note an arc in the latch which is concave toward the watch body. This is the part of the latch assembly which is attached to the "box" which secures the band links.
Grasping that box-like structure, bend the concave arc away from you. This allows the segments of the band to be pushed into or pulled out of the "box", adjusting the length of the band.
This is quick and easy after you know the trick.
The included instructions are in Japanese for this made-for-Japan-inport. You can download and print English directions:
The English directions are very fine print, and a bit complicated, but they seem to be correct, and necessary.
Enjoy this great watch!
on September 30, 2015
As many have stated, the instructions for this watch are exclusively in Japanese, but English instructions are readily available on Casio's website. The module number is 5161. To give you an idea how much I like this watch, I'll compare it to one of my other all-time favorites: Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Black Eagle.
Cost: The Black Eagle goes for about $400, and this Casio is about $100, so we're definitely in different neighborhoods here, but the purpose of this review is to highlight some terrific features.
Set-up: Both watches seem intuitive to me, but I've been fooling around with watches for decades, and many of them have been Casios.
Watch face design: I like the Casio's easy-to-read layout, with Arabic numbers. The Black Eagle just has squares and rectangles at the hours. The digital window on the Casio is larger and easier to see than the Black Eagle's. Both watch faces are very easy to read in even the lowest lighting conditions. Lots of shiny bright metal that catches even the dimmest light.
Luminescence: One quick burst of bright light is all it takes for both watches. You'll still be able to read the time 8 hours later. I wish the Arabic numbers on this model would glow, as they do on the other version. As with the Black Eagle, it's hard to tell if you're looking at the watch right side up or upside down. No orientation points to speak of. At least the Casio has a glowing second hand. The Black Eagle does not.
Materials: Obviously, the Black Eagle is way more solid (and heavy). The Casio's case seems like a durable plastic, but it's not steel. The bright side is that you hardly know you're wearing this watch, it is so light. The Black Eagle is built like a tank. There is a much lighter Titanium Skyhawk, but that weight advantage only comes with the outlay of additional funds.
Band/Bracelet: The Casio's bracelet is easily adjustable, without tools. Some reviewers don't like the fact that the extra links kind of wrap around your wrist, giving the effect of a double layer of links, but it doesn't bother me at all. The finish is very durable. The Black Eagle has a metal bracelet, but the coating isn't all that durable. It wears off relatively easily, even leaving black residue on my wrist when I perspire. In some spots, the bracelet is down to bare metal, and I have not worn the watch hard enough to expect that result. I noticed that the pins on the Casio are located in such a way that they do not lend themselves to easily accept a NATO/ZULU band, if that is your desire. The Black Eagle's set-up easily accepts other bands.
Power source: Both watches are powered by any source of light, with direct sunlight being the best. Both have a power reserve of several months, with no further exposure to light. The Black Eagle's power reserve level is indicated on the face by a dial, but is not visible at night, since the backlight only lights up the digital windows. One press of a button gets you to the Casio's power meter, and it is lit up by the backlight.
Internal light: The Black Eagle's light makes the digital areas glow orange. If you've been in the dark long enough that your lum isn't working, you'll need to pull the crown, change to the time mode, then hit the light to see what time is. The Casio's backlight lights up the entire face of the watch, including the hands and the digital area. The digital area is not lit up from within --- the light is literally a small LED at the 6:00 position. Some people think that looks cheap, but I go with function, and it works. Timex's Indiglo is way better than what either of these watches has.
Time signal reception: Here, the Casio has the definite advantage. My Black Eagle sometimes struggles to receive a signal from Colorado (I'm in PA). The Casio receives with no difficulty, and does the entire process within 2 minutes. The Black Eagle sometimes takes more than 10 minutes, and there's only one place in my house where it works at all. Both watches can be set to auto receive or manual receive. The Casio tells you the date and time of the last successful reception. The Black Eagle only tells you the signal strength of the last reception.
Operation: I like the Casio's push-button method of cycling through the functions. The Black Eagle requires you to pull the crown, which has two pull-out notches: one for changing functions and one for adjusting. It can be difficult to quickly get to the correct notch, and you might be adjusting when you want to be changing functions. Or maybe that's just me.
UTC: The Black Eagle has a UTC dial on the face. Again, it is not visible at night, since the backlight doesn't illuminate it. The Casio has a World Time function you can set to UTC if you want, and the LED illuminates it.
12/24: The Black Eagle has a 12/24 indicator dial on the face. The Casio has military time numbers on the face, but to know whether it's 10AM or 10PM, you have to press button C twice, and you have to have your time set to 24-hr mode. (All of this assumes you have no other way of telling what time of day or night it is, of course!)
Bezel: This is a biggy for me, since I use a rotary slide rule many times every day. The Black Eagle has a very functional slide rule bezel. The Casio has no such feature, but for about $10, I bought a circular slide rule keychain from PilotGearOnline that does everything I need it to do.
Alarms: The Black Eagle has two. The Casio has 5. Both have an hourly chime option.
Traveling: The Black Eagle has a nifty time zone swapping function that makes it exceptionally easy to change the time indicated by the hands. With the Casio, of course, you can simply change your "Home" time zone to the city you're in, and then set your World Time digital read-out to your real home. Not bad.
Hand-set: Both watches have a handset function, in case for some reason they get misaligned.
Crystal: Time will tell on this point. I'd wager the Black Eagle's crystal is more durable and resistant to scratches, but I haven't worn the Casio enough to know for certain.
Water Resistance: The Black Eagle is rated at 200M, and the Casio is only rated at 50 (10M = 1BAR, and it says 5BAR). I haven't had trouble with either watch swimming/diving to less than 5M, and that's about as deep as I'll get. I never push buttons when swimming ---- not willing to take that chance.
All in all, I thought it was interesting that I was comparing these two watches at all, considering their price points, so I thought I would share the comparison. I'd say this is a great Casio, maybe my favorite so far. Of course, I wish there were a slide rule bezel version of every watch made...
on July 24, 2013
I got my watch yesterday and so far I love it! I plan to post this review under several of the "Casio Wave Scepter Tough Solar Radio-Controlled Watch Multiband" watches because YOU NEED THIS INFO TO GET AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE MANUAL!!! These watches are all pretty much the same - just different style faces, which is really nice choice wise! There are not many reviews yet (7/24/2013) so I wanted to get this info out.

First, the watch comes with a Japanese Manual ONLY. However, this is not a problem. Just look at your watch back for the 4-digit start to the model number, which on my watch has a box around it. The same number will also be printed on the front of the Japanese manual. Use the link below [THANK YOU RICHARD H. MARTIN for your 6/29/13 review & Link info.!] but just substitute your watch's four-digit number for the one I used(mine was 4709). Be sure to leave everything else the same. You will need Adobe Reader on your computer, which is a free download from Adobe.com (almost everybody will already have this on their computer). The manual will be downloaded for you to print out at home (5 pages). You should also save a copy on your computer for future reference. The manual for my watch is written in very good English so it is very easy to understand! It prints in small letters, though, so have a magnifying glass handy :-)

Here is the link: [...]

Second, the watchband. Gone are the days of taking the watch to a jeweler to have the band adjusted! Gone is the hassle of trying to remove tiny pins to adjust it yourself! Tucked into the Japanese manual will be a separate slip of paper with directions for adjusting the band. They are in Japanese. I could not find an English language copy anywhere. Here is what you need to do:

1. This is the most important step, and the one that caused me the most trouble: Get over the idea of having to remove links! You will NOT be removing any. No pins or tools at all will be required. It is so easy that, if you haven't adjusted one of these new bands, you will be astonished.

2. Look at the pictures and forget the Japanese writing. Ignore the picture at the very top of the page, since it just shows you the overall operation of the catch. Look at the three pictures in the middle of the page. The first shows you how to open the locking tabs to open the catch of your watchband. The second (middle) picture is the important one. You fold the first section of the catch back in the direction of the arrow. This unlocks the band and allows it to slide in or out of the locking mechanism to lengthen or tighten the band respectively. NOTE THE ENLARGED PICTURE below that shows you how to sight through the little square hole on the locking mechanism. You want to line up the space BETWEEN TWO LINKS before folding down and locking the band to its new length. (I think having the crack between two links visible through the square hole assures that the catch can properly lock between links when folded back down.) Now fold the band back down to its normal position.

3. That's it. The extra links remain under the watchband. At first I thought I was going to hate having them there and that the extra lengths were going to make the band uncomfortable. I looked for ways to remove them, but there are no pins so I don't see any way to remove them! Then I tried it and thought "well, this is NOT going to work...". So far, however, I have found that I don't feel them at all. Some people may be bothered but so far I am surprised that I am not. The good news is that the band looks like it would be easy to replace with a more traditional metal watchband if you wish. I would suggest that you give it a chance first.

4. The good news: Since those links remain there, it means that if you gain or lose weight you can adjust the size of the band in seconds. If you are working outside and your arm swells a bit and the band is uncomfortable, just quickly adjust it a link larger. When you cool off in the air conditioning, slip off the watch and tighten it again. VERY nice!

Third - reception for the Wave Scepter feature. (Actually, on the back of the watch it is spelled "Wave Ceptor".) The first step is to set the watch to the correct time region. The process is easy and clearly set out in the English version of the manual. In the U.S. the transmitter is in Colorado. I got a signal just fine here in South Western Ohio. I will be traveling to Virginia soon but we have other "atomic clocks" in Virginia that get a signal from Colorado just fine, so I do not think there will be any problem there either.

I was a little disappointed because I thought the digital display would be larger. However, the numbers on the display are quite clear and easy to read. I've decided that I like it. The watch does not have a countdown timer, but it does have a stopwatch, alarm, dual time zone, and LED light that lights the digital display only. MY model (4709) does not have an analogue second hand, but seconds are displayed in the digital display. You can quickly and easily cycle the digital display between time, day/date, and month/date. You also use the digital display to check/set watch functions. The digital display can show the status of the last time signal and will tell you the date and time of the last successful time sync.

All and all a very nice watch - thin, light, and very nice looking. Highly recommended!
Slacker Sonny
7/24/2013
on June 22, 2014
The watch does what it says in its description. It is very light. It is not easy to set up without manual, however once you locate online English instructions you will have to do it just once. If it does not break, it should last for many years showing perfect time without need to adjust anything (e.g. perpetual calendar). Luminous hands plus LED light add to its versatility.
This is an inexpensive, practical and accurate watch for daily use.
on July 23, 2015
It's a good looking watch. It's a little larger and thicker than I expected, and the strap is too long. The length is easily adjusted; but there is a lot of overlap remaining. If necessary, one can always buy a new strap. I deduct one star, only because of the strap. It seems to me that such a well-designed watch could also have a well-designed strap.

The dial is easy to read. It glows, and there is small light available, at the "6" position.
on August 9, 2014
Best Watch ever - I am so impressed. The setup was easy, it works really in US and Europe - Time changing is a half-automatic - you need to set Timezone and then it will set Time instantly. Start process with pressing and holding Button A ( Light - Top right ) for more then 3 Seconds - until Display blinks - then press Button B ( Bottom left ) Once to get to Time-Zone, then adjust with Button C ( Bottom right ) and then Button A for exiting Setup.
The Manual you can find in all Languages on www.Casio.com - when you enter the Model# on Back of Wristwatch ( here: Model# 5161 - http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualsearch.php?MODULE=5161&submit.x=41&submit.y=4&cid=009 )

That Band - Length is very easy to set up too - just remove Watch from Arm - bend the site from the Band without Latch over until Flex-Band looses - then adjust length and then bend backward to tighten the Arresting of the Band again.
on March 10, 2014
This is my second Wave Ceptor watch from Casio and a great leap ahead in quality of case and band. The packing told the story before I got the watch fully unpacked. All surfaces were protected by easy-peel away plastic. The watch was fairly easy to set up, though you have to download the instruction manual from the internet. The band is exceptionally well designed and can be adjusted without tools. The time is adjusted automatically every night, it knows to shift back and forth for DST, and uses solar power to keep the battery topped off. In the past, I have spent considerably more for a watch, but his is the best one I have owned.
on February 19, 2015
As long as you understand what you are buying, this is a great watch at a bargain price. Understand, however, you are buying a gray market item not intended for distribution in the U.S. and not warranted by the manufacturer.

What does this mean? The documentation that comes with the watch is printed in Japanese only and you will have to download the English manual PDF file from Casio's website. If you choose the day and date option to display in the digital window, the month will be represented by a Japanese character and the date will be and Arabic numeral until you change the settings in the setup menu. I have no reason to think that the warranty offered by the importer or distributor is inadequate in any way. And, I am not too concerned about needing service during the warranty period on a Casio watch. It appears to me the price on this gray market item is $60 less than the comparable Casio through the regular distribution channel.

This is at least my third Casio watch and the previous ones have been excellent. The buttons on this one are much easier to press and the menu system seems friendlier and easier to use. It may have fewer superfluous functions. This watch also syncs to the atomic clock MUCH more reliably. I live right on the east coast and it syncs first time every night just lying on the dresser. It syncs even when an atomic Seiko desk clock sitting on the dresser fails to do so, as it sometimes does because of atmospheric conditions
In short, I am pleased with the watch and tickled with my purchase and recommend this Casio watch!.
on October 25, 2014
I was looking for a nice looking analog watch that I could wear every day. I didn't care to spend an arm and a leg. I like the "atomic watch" feature, but that frequently comes in a watch that is so thick that you cannot wear it with a long sleeve dress shirt. This watch is quite thin, and very handsome. It's nice to also have the digital stop watch and countdown functions for when I need them (which isn't very often--timing steaks on the grill?).

The time updates every night without any problem. I just leave it on my sink, pointing toward the window. So I suppose it is technically pointed toward the source of the signal, but it's no problem.

One other thing. I love the adjustable band. It's really pretty intuitive if you take a second to look it over. It's nice to be able to adjust it to the perfect size.

I haven't worn another watch since I received this. I still have my G Force Waveceptor for really rough wear and my all titanium Swiss Army watch for really dressy occasions. But this will suit me for years to come