5.0 out of 5 stars Love watch - Here's how to get English manual & adjust band!
Published 14 months ago by Slacker Sonny

2.0 out of 5 stars Clunky watch band
Bought this to replace my older casio waveceptor watch which finally died after 9 years.

Published 3 months ago by Andrew Altheimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love watch - Here's how to get English manual & adjust band!, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Casio Wave Ceptor Tough Solar WVA-M630D-2AJF Men's Watch (Watch)
UPDATE 06/03/2014: THE EXACT WATCH MODEL NUMBER ON THIS REVIEW IS INCORRECT. THE WATCH I PURCHASED IN JULY 2013 IS LISTED ON MY "PURCHASED" SECTION OF MY AMAZON ACCOUNT AS 6-WVA-M480D-7AJF. There are MANY variations on this model of watch. That is why at the time I quoted the "4709" number which is engraved on the back of the watch. I thought I was ordering a version of this watch with a second hand - but mine had none. The watch I actually got did NOT have a second hand, has a white face with the 12, 3, and 9 slightly larger than the other numbers on the dial, and the "light" button ONLY lights the small digital screen. B.T.W., the watch is still nice, although the face got a large scratch that I find very distracting soon after I bought it. The plastic on the face seems pretty soft, so be careful. Otherwise still a nice watch as my review states. Sorry for the confusion on the model number, but there seem to be MANY versions of this watch! At the time, I posted my review on several of the models because I wanted to get the info on adjusting the band out.....

-----------------------

I got my watch yesterday and so far I love it! I plan to post this review under several of the "Casio Wave Scepter Tough Solar Radio-Controlled Watch Multiband" watches because YOU NEED THIS INFO TO GET AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE MANUAL!!! These watches are all pretty much the same - just different style faces, which is really nice choice wise! There are not many reviews yet (7/24/2013) so I wanted to get this info out.

First, the watch comes with a Japanese Manual ONLY. However, this is not a problem. Just look at your watch back for the 4-digit start to the model number, which on my watch has a box around it. The same number will also be printed on the front of the Japanese manual. Use the link below [THANK YOU RICHARD H. MARTIN for your 6/29/13 review & Link info.!] but just substitute your watch's four-digit number for the one I used(mine was 4709). Be sure to leave everything else the same. You will need Adobe Reader on your computer, which is a free download from Adobe.com (almost everybody will already have this on their computer). The manual will be downloaded for you to print out at home (5 pages). You should also save a copy on your computer for future reference. The manual for my watch is written in very good English so it is very easy to understand! It prints in small letters, though, so have a magnifying glass handy :-)

Here is the link: [...]

Second, the watchband. Gone are the days of taking the watch to a jeweler to have the band adjusted! Gone is the hassle of trying to remove tiny pins to adjust it yourself! Tucked into the Japanese manual will be a separate slip of paper with directions for adjusting the band. They are in Japanese. I could not find an English language copy anywhere. Here is what you need to do:

1. This is the most important step, and the one that caused me the most trouble: Get over the idea of having to remove links! You will NOT be removing any. No pins or tools at all will be required. It is so easy that, if you haven't adjusted one of these new bands, you will be astonished.

2. Look at the pictures and forget the Japanese writing. Ignore the picture at the very top of the page, since it just shows you the overall operation of the catch. Look at the three pictures in the middle of the page. The first shows you how to open the locking tabs to open the catch of your watchband. The second (middle) picture is the important one. You fold the first section of the catch back in the direction of the arrow. This unlocks the band and allows it to slide in or out of the locking mechanism to lengthen or tighten the band respectively. NOTE THE ENLARGED PICTURE below that shows you how to sight through the little square hole on the locking mechanism. You want to line up the space BETWEEN TWO LINKS before folding down and locking the band to its new length. (I think having the crack between two links visible through the square hole assures that the catch can properly lock between links when folded back down.) Now fold the band back down to its normal position.

3. That's it. The extra links remain under the watchband. At first I thought I was going to hate having them there and that the extra lengths were going to make the band uncomfortable. I looked for ways to remove them, but there are no pins so I don't see any way to remove them! Then I tried it and thought "well, this is NOT going to work...". So far, however, I have found that I don't feel them at all. Some people may be bothered but so far I am surprised that I am not. The good news is that the band looks like it would be easy to replace with a more traditional metal watchband if you wish. I would suggest that you give it a chance first.

4. The good news: Since those links remain there, it means that if you gain or lose weight you can adjust the size of the band in seconds. If you are working outside and your arm swells a bit and the band is uncomfortable, just quickly adjust it a link larger. When you cool off in the air conditioning, slip off the watch and tighten it again. VERY nice!

Third - reception for the Wave Scepter feature. (Actually, on the back of the watch it is spelled "Wave Ceptor".) The first step is to set the watch to the correct time region. The process is easy and clearly set out in the English version of the manual. In the U.S. the transmitter is in Colorado. I got a signal just fine here in South Western Ohio. I will be traveling to Virginia soon but we have other "atomic clocks" in Virginia that get a signal from Colorado just fine, so I do not think there will be any problem there either.

I was a little disappointed because I thought the digital display would be larger. However, the numbers on the display are quite clear and easy to read. I've decided that I like it. The watch does not have a countdown timer, but it does have a stopwatch, alarm, dual time zone, and LED light that lights the digital display only. MY model (4709) does not have an analogue second hand, but seconds are displayed in the digital display. You can quickly and easily cycle the digital display between time, day/date, and month/date. You also use the digital display to check/set watch functions. The digital display can show the status of the last time signal and will tell you the date and time of the last successful time sync.

All and all a very nice watch - thin, light, and very nice looking. Highly recommended!
Slacker Sonny
7/24/2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Class digital watch, January 21, 2014
It is difficult to find a watch with an analog face and digital functions that actually looks nice too, as most seem to be made for geeks who value function over appearance. But this watch look looks better in person than on the pictures, with a hard crystalline face and a metallic appearance to the dial. It is packaged for sale in Japan so all the info is in Japanese. However, it was easy to find the English instructions for Casio module 5161 that explained how to use the watch. I like the digital display as it is just a tiny bit larger than my previous Casio, and easier to read. The normal time display shows either day/date (the most convenient); or the digital time in hr:min; or the seconds along with an icon showing that the watch has received the correct time during the previous day. During the first day the watch did not receive a time signal, but after that it started working very well and even caught the time when it was on the bathroom cabinet. It also has numerous world time zones and I love the feature of selecting another time zone and the watch automatically sets the dial to that time! And there are also alarms, a stopwatch and timer. So, overall, I am thrilled with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Casio Watch, September 11, 2013
Zathros (Near Proxima Centauri) - See all my reviews
This is my 3rd Casio. The watch is an all around; use for sport or dress wear. One thing I think I liked most was the ability to fit the watch without taking links out of the band. That is always a pain. Also, with the solar feature no more worry about batteries, or setting setting the time because of time tick feature. Bill Rice

2.0 out of 5 stars Clunky watch band, May 27, 2014

I don't like the adjustable watch band. Being able to adjust the band without a special tool is slightly convenient (but really I only need to do this once...). However, the latch and band feels very large and clunky compared to my older waveceptor - the latch sticks out way too far from my wrist. Would not buy this again, I am thinking about my options to replace either the band or the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Wave Ceptor Atomic Watch, June 11, 2014
This watch is simple, but offers me everything I need in a watch. The most important is accurate time, and that I have since the atomic clock in Denver sets my time. The watch also provides the day and date in large, easy to read digits. That's it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, March 19, 2014
I have owned several earlier models of this watch, but this one synchronizes with multiple time servers so it keeps good time in Europe and Asia as well as the USA. The new band is infinitely adjustable and works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good watch which never needs maintenance., May 29, 2014
I like the sweep second hand, and the fact that you never have to change batteries and the illumination covers the whole face.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, August 16, 2014
Ed in AZ "Ed" (Surprise, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I don't believe that anything in the description said that the day of the week would be in Japanese.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice watch, good size, July 13, 2014
It's a nice watch, good size. Great to have correct time, but it was a little difficult to get the correct atomic clock setting for synch in Israel. Did realize I would have to select site. But once set, nice to have local and home time at same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 7, 2014
Watch was very easy to setup and of course it keeps perfect time. Like that there are no batteries to be replacing.

Rate and Discover Movies