5.0 out of 5 stars I am enjoying this phone
Published on May 15, 2011 by Dpsammy

3.0 out of 5 stars In Depth Review
The Casio Commando is rugged and stylish considering it's designed to take a beating. I work construction and mow acres of lawn every week. I need a phone that works as hard as I do and can take any abuse I can throw at it. The Casio Commando is up to the task. However, toughness may be its only real attribute.

This phone is 'supposed' to attract the outdoor...
Published on June 14, 2011 by Mistercommunication

5.0 out of 5 stars I am enjoying this phone, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Casio G'zOne Commando Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I have had my Commando for several days now, and really enjoy it. I am new to android and smartphones. I have an iPad, so I have experience with Apple. I wanted something different than an iPhone. I was doing a ton of research on the latest and greatest phones. When this phone came out I was intrigued by the toughness. I hunt, fish, hike, camp, and spend a lot of time outdoors. I wanted a phone I didn't have to baby, and this is it! I have dunked it several times in water (my ice water was 40.7 degrees). I dared my friends to do the same, or purposely drop their phones....no takers....lol.

I have only downloaded a few apps. The gps, which is important to me, is spot on. The speakers are awesome! Even in the car testing the navigation, I had the volume down from max.

The screen clarity is fine. Compares to my friend's Incredible. Screen size is the same as an iPhone. As reviewed by others and on forums, the touch screen is not super sensitive or buttery smooth. The texting is a bit touchy. I downloaded a texting app that I like. I am still getting used to using swipe.

The camera, while not fantastic, meets my needs. The video is choppy if you try to pan or if things are moving fast. Maybe an upgrade will fix this?

But, for all the little quirks, I dig this phone. I am getting it dialed in for my personal likes.

If you need a tough smartphone, and don't need dual core, HDMI, front facing camera, or 8 mega pixel camera, then consider this phone. I had never even heard of the Casio G'Zone phones. This one is very cool. There are lots of videos on You Tube for g'Zone phones.

Size of the phone is fine for me. Not as svelt as iPhones or Galaxy S2, but on line with Thunderbolt, Atrix, EVO.

I highly recommend if you need a tough phone. If you want pretty, slim, and buttery smoothness, look elsewhere. Just don't get those other phones wet! Lol

Oh.... Battery... I am a moderate user. The GPS pulls on the battery pretty hard. I keep it off unless needed. I have been getting a full day off usage......12-15 hours. When the newness wears off I am sure it will go longer. I would rate it as typical for a smart phone. I will keep a charger in my car. My next purchase will be the cradle charger and a 32 gig card. I want to download my music files and some pics.

4.0 out of 5 stars finally retired my type-V, May 10, 2011
Ordered directly from verizon the first day it was available. Previous phone was gz'one type V.
Pretty happy with it so far. Two issues - phone will not charge from a PC USB port if it is off (tried quite a few different models, all Dell, desktops and laptops). I brought it to the local Verizon store and they confirmed that issue. If they get some in and they don't have that problem, I will be exchanging. Not only does it not charge, but it constantly cycles through a boot screen, which actually drains the battery.
Also, built in camera app will not turn on the flash. Installed a camera app from the app store and flash works fine.
LED seems marginally less powerful than on type-V.
I think the micro usb port might eventually be a weak spot, ie the plug can wiggle around too easy and will eventually break it. I'll get a cradle as soon as I can find one, or an inductive charger.
Battery life seems to be improving w/ each cycle, to what is now an acceptable level. Aside from those issues, and the need to rip out some junk apps (like bing...) I love this phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rugged Smart Phone, May 3, 2011
Came to this phone from a Droid X with no regrets whatsoever. Display is very crisp. Call clarity and volume are excellent. The speaker is very loud and clear. Comes with Android Froyo.Phone is very sturdy, but not to big. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Commando C771, July 22, 2011
This phone is indestructable. I accidently left it laying on the back of my truck and drove off with it on there. When I went back to look for it I found it lying face down in the middle of the road about a 1 1/2 miles away. It had been ran over and the cover I bought for it was destroyed but the phone only had a couple of minor scratches on the outside edges. The screen didn't have a scratch on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars In Depth Review, June 14, 2011

This phone is 'supposed' to attract the outdoor enthusiast with its G'zGear functions. These features are what attracted me to this phone. However, you can d/l ALL of these types of apps FREE from the Android Market.

My roomie has a Droid X. It's an incredible phone. The Droid X is easier to type text on because of its larger screen. Droid X takes stunning pics/videos and has tons of editing features for a phone, but will it survive in my pocket mowing all day? How about a drop from a roof? How about a drop in the lake? I doubt it. There is a trade off it seems.
If I didn't have the Droid X to compare my phone to I would probably rate the Commando 4 stars.

Casio Commando Pros:
-Aforementioned ruggedness. Water, dust and drop proof.
-Android 2.1 OS
-Pedometer works well. Can edit height, weight, age length of stride etc. Downside is that it registers bumps from my riding mower as steps.
-Sun/Moon feature gives detailed info on position of sun/moon, rising and setting times and length of day.
-Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS work as they should.
-Excellent speakerphone!

Casio Commando Cons:
-Battery life is ABSOLUTELY pathetic! Needs a recharge in the middle of the day. A few texts, surf Face Book a bit, answer a few emails, play a few games and take a pic or two and it's done for! Forget about listening to MP3's for the work day. Many say "hey it's a smartphone, the battery life is not supposed to be great". Well...I don't buy that argument. As of 6.14.11 there are NO extended batteries on the market. The battery technology needs to catch up w/ smartphone advancements.
-LED Flashlight is WEAK. My roommates Droid X is 5x brighter and covers 3x more area.
-MP3's skip like an Ipod generation 3 or 4 when running or mowing. Starts back at beginning of song/album.
-Very poor photos/videos in low light situations. LED does NOT work in Camcorder mode. The Droid X has tons of video settings (edit, extract frame, text etc). The Commando is basic like a $60 cell phone.
-G'zGear Thermometer isn't accurate at all when tested against other thermometers. It must register the heat from the phone?
-Can't tell which side is UP/DOWN. Phone looks exactly the same either way until illuminated.
-Notification LED (blinks when you have a new email, text or missed call) is on the side of phone. Works well at night, but in daytime you never know it's blinking.
-No dedicated music button. Have to click on widget. Has dedicated camera/video, G'zing Gear and power button, but nothing for music.

Overall:
If you're looking for a smartphone with a touchscreen that can survive in heat, dust and moisture then this may be a good option. If you want the sleek responsive screen with tons of features for pics/videos, then look elsewhere. If Motorola made a Drod X with the above specs I'd pay $100's more!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Commando Tough Phone, November 30, 2011
Nick Robinson "Reverie" (Marietta, Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
It is truly a tough hombre. I have carried mine for three months and in that time it has been dropped several times and drowned once. I just shrugged off the abuse and keeps on working. What I really appreciate is the small size it possesses, especially when I compare it to all of it's Otterbox Clad brothers. My wife and my daughter have iPhone 4 and both hide inside their cases. That makes them overly large, in my opinion.

This phone arrived with a bit of Verizon-installed bloatware. If it was really a problem I'd jailbreak and uninstall. I highly recommend buying the charging cradle. First of all, it eliminates the need to open the charging hatch, preserving the fit of the waterproof seal. Secondly, the phone is programmed to act as a bedside clock when you snap it into the charger. You cannot overcharge the battery, so you are in no danger of messing up your battery that way.

My battery performance is not typical as I use every feature to the max and just charge it religiously. My wife's iPhone only lasts a scoche longer on a charge.

Call quality is very high. My only complaint is how easy it is to accidentally disconnect someone if you try to hold the phone between your cheek and shoulder. It is also easy to put someone on speaker phone the same way. The sound quality is excellent in both conventional and handsfree modes.

I am loath to give anything a five star rating unless it is a complete game changer. I consider the rugedness of this phone the answer to a lot of problems. I consider the phone part of this to be above average.

One last thought. Why don't they build ALL phones this way?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, Impervious Design, May 25, 2011
Charlie White "Tech-Guy" (Hartford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Full Disclosure: I previously had a Motorola Droid smart phone, so I already knew what I was getting from an Android standpoint. But the "out of the box" experience for this device was much more satisfying than my old Droid. I'm a big fan of Casio's rugged design...and yes I tested it under running water and dropped it 4' on to ceramic tiles. No damage with either test. (Although the texture of the plastic outer ring leads me to believe the outer case could get scratched -- even if the device overall keeps working.)

As for the software, no complaints. It runs like other Android phones, which means you'll want to download custom apps to make it more functional. For example, I recommend Documents to Go (by DataViz) and "ICE: In Case of Emergency" (by Appventive). But you can find something to do just about anything in the Android Market -- most of it free.

The two gotchas with this phone: Verizon put too much bloatware software on it. I don't need the NFL network on my phone, and worse, I can't uninstall it. (Maybe I'll use it to watch the playoffs.) And be careful about enabling Verizon's "Contact Backup" during initial setup...you can't uninstall it later. It's also annoying that you have to download Google Maps and the text-to-speech Navigation feature separately. (Both are available for free from Google.) Clearly, Verizon needs to rethink it's business model of charging for VZNavigator.

One tip: If you use the Sound Recorder app, there's no help or menu. But your recordings get saved to the SD-Card. And you need a utility like Astro File Manager (free via Android Market) to access it. Or else you can listen to it when you connect your phone to your PC and access the card.

It may not be the fastest smart phone, or have the biggest screen, but it's the toughest. And if you have little tykes, like me, you'll appreciate that. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone!, November 2, 2011
First off, this phone is great. The phone is durable, looks good, and is actually really good as an android device. When I first received this phone it was Android v2.2(froyo) which was good, the screen was responsive,decently fast, etc. Now with an upgrade from about a month ago I am currently running 2.3.3(gingerbread) I noticed a definite improvement, the system is much more faster and responsive and it's a pleasure to use. Another thing that I love about the phone is the durability. Just for kicks I stuck it inside a refrigerator that I have at my business. The phone got down to 42F, and I did not notice a single drop in performance. The phone is completely sealed from water, each port is surrounded by a rubber o-ring that does a great job of keeping water out. It's shock resistant, heat and cold resistant, water resistant and many other things. As for the battery life, if I use wifi every once in a while the phone will last a good day and a half. With little no wifi I could easily use the phone for 2 to 3 days on a single charge.

Pros
Decently Fast (not as fast as a droid or iPhone, but you get the idea)
Durable
Looks cool
Android System is great
Pre-intstalled Gz'One apps are really fun to use
Tactile Key on the side is usefull
Battery life

Cons
Camera is just 5MP, not great, but I don't use the camera much anyway
There are really not that many cons

With all said and done, this phone will not displease you. Casio is a very reputable company with a history of making fine products and this is a prime example of that. If you want a phone that will hold up to anything you throw at it, but at the same time be fun and efficient to use then this is the phone for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life: A+ Phone: A+, October 25, 2011
It looks like phones are similar to cars, in that if you get a bad one, you get a bad one; and if you get a good one, you get a good one. I got a good one.

I've had my Commando for a couple of months. I bought it at a Verizon store; with my final "New Every Two" credit, I walked out of the store with this new phone for $100. Previous to this, I had a G'Zone Type S, then a G'Zone Rock, and then an original Motorola Droid.

As with past G'Zones, the ergonomics are absolutely excellent. The speaker is loud. I enjoy texting far more with the Swype interface than I ever did on my Droid with the hardware keyboard. I live out in the country where cell phone reception is very bad, and all of my G'Zones (including this Commando) have above-average reception, even out here.

I'm not sure what kind of conditions the other reviewers are subjecting their phones to, but I regularly get 48 hours of standby battery life. I do a bit of Facebook, GTalk, GMail, etc. during the day, but never Pandora or other music. And I don't ever use GPS or 802.11, and very rarely do I turn on Bluetooth. I am more interested in battery life than these niceties.

There was a firmware update a couple of weeks ago that vastly improved the UI experience. The sluggishness and UI problems that other reviewers note here, are largely gone.

I highly recommend that if you get this phone, you also get a charging cradle. It's a shame that Verizon is selling a $1 plastic piece for $30, but it makes the phone far more convenient. I always hated to open the cover on the USB charging port, because on the older G'Zone phones, people who opened the covers often ran into problems with the seals and water got inside their phones. With the charging cradle you don't have to open any of the covers.

The camera is solidly average and you don't get an HDMI port or dual-core processor with this phone. But the utility factor in being able to not care about dropping the phone, as well as the superior ergonomics, make the phone well worth $100, even $150.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tough phone but only an ok smartphone, May 21, 2011
I got the commando because I've never owned a smartphone because I'm a chronic phone dropper and never wanted to invest in what I was sure was going to end up as an expensive paperweight. My wife got a Samsung Fascinate at the same time, so that's been my measuring stick of smartphone capability and features. To start off, the default apps from Casio stink; the text program is cumbersome, the alarm system can't even use default ringers or mp3s (just REALLY irritating beeps that aren't even that loud), and the battery drops 20-30% faster with the same settings enabled going to the same physical locations with similar usage throughout the day. Plus the camera is borderline useless, my old phones 3MP camera almost took better motion and indoor shots.

That said, I would still recommend the Commando if you 1) haven't trusted yourself with a smartphone or 2) really need one to stand up to the elements. The call quality has been really good, the keyboard is pretty accurate, and I haven't noticed any real sluggishness or unresponsiveness issues even through it's supposedly tougher screen. Would I say it is the perfect smart phone, not at all. But I think it's a solid alternative to buying a high end smartphone and desperately wrapping it in Defender Otterbox.

ARRAY(0xa89daa8c)