5.0 out of 5 stars I am enjoying this phone
I have had my Commando for several days now, and really enjoy it. I am new to android and smartphones. I have an iPad, so I have experience with Apple. I wanted something different than an iPhone. I was doing a ton of research on the latest and greatest phones. When this phone came out I was intrigued by the toughness. I hunt, fish, hike, camp, and spend a lot of...
Published on May 15, 2011 by Dpsammy

3.0 out of 5 stars In Depth Review
The Casio Commando is rugged and stylish considering it's designed to take a beating. I work construction and mow acres of lawn every week. I need a phone that works as hard as I do and can take any abuse I can throw at it. The Casio Commando is up to the task. However, toughness may be its only real attribute.

This phone is 'supposed' to attract the outdoor...
Published on June 14, 2011 by Mistercommunication

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Rugged smart phone for intermediate smart phone users, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Casio G'zOne Commando Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The biggest draw (thus a large focus of my review) was the ruggedness of this phone.

About a week after I received the Commando I took it on a multiple day camping and kayaking trip. My intent was to use the device as irresponsibly as possible to see if it held up... And it did.

I used the phone several times during a full downpour. I jumped into the river with it. I left it in my soaking wet shirt and shorts for hours. I've even dropped it a few times on accident and on purpose just to test it. Even with all the high humidity I didn't see any evidence of this device starting to fail.

The only problem I've had is sometimes after it gets wet the speaker doesn't work at full volume and I have to use speaker phone until it dries out.

So yes, it is a tough phone. I've had many other phones brick under less severe conditions.

In terms of its use as a smart phone I think this device functions very well for the price. Does it spec out better than some of the other phones out there? No. Does it have the biggest screen? No. Does it have the best virtual keyboard setup? No.

But I can run Facebook, Twitter, ESPN Fantasy Football, Words with Friends, Angry Birds, Pandora, YouTube, etc with no problems. Web browsing experience is reasonable. It also has the Google product (docs, gmail, etc) integration you expect from Android OS phones. I go from 1 day to about 2 full days of battery life by doing this.

A tip on battery life, turn off the data sync when you're not using it. If I'm at my work computer all day I turn off data sync. This will greatly reduce battery usage but it will still accept calls/txt message but won't update the weather or emails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes one hellva beating, July 24, 2012
Im a working general contractor meaning im hands on, get in the thick of things. This phone I can not rave enough about. i've lost count how many times its fallen out of my pouch, been knocked down while perched on a ledge, use your imagination of the possibilities while a home is under construction. Its fallen into open trenches that had either water or wet cement. Remember the old timex commercial (showing my age here) takes a lick-en but keeps on tick-en. This is the phone version. My particular phones face (the glass) should be filled with deep scratches/gouges let alone be cracked considering the fact its sat in nails / but mostly my truck keys against its face rubbing back & forth in either my pouch or pocket . I don't want to mislead anyone, it has scratches but nothing that effects its clarity & my ability to do what I do with it, which is everything a mobile office can offer.
Many reading this review im sure have thought why havent you purchased a holder of some sort- My reply, I have many times but they all break, can't hold up to the abuse I put on them. They only complaint I have is with verizon it self with all the crap they load on the phone. If I had the time id root it. So if your looking for a manly mans phone that can stand up to the test this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, September 22, 2011
I went through 3 phones in less than a year because my kids kept killing them. I decided to give this one a try when it was time to renew my contract. In the last 3 months it has been dropped in the dog water twice, thrown from counter height several times by the baby, left in a pool of standing water for a few hours and all around had the crap beat out of it. Its held up well and works just like it did on day one. I know they market this for military, construction workers, etc that are tough on these phones, but I really think they're missing out on a whole other market, MOMS! I can't say enough good things about this phone! If it came in pink or red or something like that it would even better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Commando tough, November 19, 2012
The only draw back to this phone is that it's a bit slow. I have dropped this a lot with no problems. I unknowingly put it in the washing machine. It called my wife's phone and left a voice mail of sounds inside the machine. It was in there for 26 min. when it placed the call. If you have kids, this is the phone for them. So far it's been bullet proof. If it was 4g I would have given it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about indestructible, May 20, 2012
Well, I sweat a lot. After sweating through and destroying 2 phones in one year, and having to buy new ones at full retail price, I chose the Casio Commando as my first smartphone primarily due to its water resistance. This thing can take a lot of abuse. I've dropped it in a parking lot into a puddle, submerged it multiple times (it's a party trick now), had it thrown across a bar by a friend after a few too many, stepped on it, dropped it into ice water, gotten into a hot tub and forgot it was in my pocket, sat on it while it was in my back pocket during an entire baseball game... and the thing came through it all with only a slight gouge on the case from the bar incident, when my friend SLAMMED it into a concrete wall. One thing I might say is if you DO submerge the phone for whatever reason, give it a few shakes before you call someone, the water on the mic makes it hard for them to hear you. Also, the screen isn't particularly responsive and the processor is on the slow side. But if you can deal with that, and don't want a phone you need to carry around like a wedding cake, this is the phone for you. I don't even think about its ruggedness now, but it still astounds people when I toss them my phone to check out a photo or a video... they say, "Dude, why do you treat your phone like that?" It's because it can take it. Anyone who says they broke a Casio Commando did it on purpose... they wanted to see if they could do it. I have no doubt that if I fire the thing out of a cannon, or run it over with a tank, yeah, it'll break. But this phone can stand up to anything a normal person can throw at it and ask for more.

Edit: April 2013. Eligible for upgrade. Call VZW, they tell me all about the great, fragile phones out there. I ask them if the next Casio ruggedized phone is out yet, they say they "have no release information at this time." Thanks, I'm keeping my C771. It's a piece of crap compared to a lot of phones performance-wise. But the Commando is what it is. It's not a tank pretending to be a sports car... it's a tank admitting it's a tank. Not fair to get mad at it because it won't do zero to sixty in 3.0, because that's not what it's designed to do. I'm going back to China for vacation next month, going to Zhangjiajie in Hunan province(where they got the inspiration for the mountains from the movie "Avatar") which I am sure will involve a lot of climbing, sweating, and solar radiation. I have no doubt that my C771 will come through swinging. I'm confident going into that environment (a rugged national park with little infrastructure where I don't speak the language) with a C771 as my only navigational and communications device. Until Casio comes out with their next tank phone which maybe has a screen which responds better and a faster processor, this is my baby. Sure, I can't swipe or type or update Facebook as fast as you can... but I can still do those things halfway up the mountain when your phone has been reduced to broken glass, crushed aluminum, and shattered dreams.

Edit: June 2013. Got back from the vacation. Phone suffered its worst mishap yet. I was using it to take pictures on a rafting trip down the Mengdong River. There are people in other rafts who will attack you water cannons for fun on this rafting trip. I don't know why, they just do. My C771 essentially got hit full blast with a firehose, the impact knocked it out of my hand, where it bounced off a rock and into some small rapids. The water being shallow, I got off the raft after the rapids and mucked about in the water until I found my phone submerged in about two feet of water. It was intact, undamaged (except for a new gouge on the case, purely cosmetic damage) and still in camera mode ready to keep taking pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, but lacking, January 30, 2012
My Droid (v1) died so I tried this phone for about a week. I was impressed with the rugged specs, but had a few issues:
-the touch screen isn't as responsive as the one on the two year old Droid.
-voice recognition: biggest problem and the reason I returned the phone is that voice recognition would not work if the phone was in motion. The microphone worked fine for phone calls, but neither Google voice search nor the preloaded Nuance voice recognition feature worked if the phone was moving faster than 5mph. I reset the phone to factory settings and did some basic testing (no bluetooth connection, only app I installed was Google voice search). In the car with the motor running and radio on for background noise, voice recognition worked. The microphone picked up what I was saying. Car starts moving, the microphone won't listen. It's not like it hears but doesn't understand; it just doesn't activate. I did this several times and got the same result. It's like a built in safety feature that you can't disengage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, June 26, 2011
Samuel Abbe (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
After accidently dropping a Droid X into a cup of soda I ordered this ruggedized droid the 1st day it came out.

First, size. If I didn't just get glasses I'd love the screen size. I found the Droid X too big, I couldn't hold the phone in one hand and text or dial with my thumb. I have large hands and I still couldn't reach the far side of the Droid X screen. The Commando fits perfectly in the hand. Its somewhat annoying the the phone is almost perfectly symetrical Unlike the wedge shaped Droid X I frequently accidently hold the Casio upside down. I give the Casio an A- for a great easy to hold size but unfortunantly symetrical.

Compared to the Droid X the screen seems unresponsible and swyping doesn't work nearly as well. I'm not sure if that's a function of the screen size or software. Also, when I backspace the software sometimes cycles through all its guesses instead of just erasing one letter like I want. Then when I hold backspace it erasing most or all of the entire text. Casio gets a C- for text entry.

Screen does work when wet unlike a Droid X. My Droid X's screen completely stopped working when I tried to use it in rain so light it was almost fog. The Casio kept right on working in heavy rain though I had to tap the keys instead of swype since the alternating wet/dry of the raindrops made my finger hop instead of slide over the screen. A big A+ for the Casio on that one.

I miss having one touch access to airplane mode like the Droid X. That was very convenient with the Droid X when walking into an important meeting or entering a known cell service deadzone.

Camera is good but not great. Images are slightly better than my 5MP camera, also waterproof. I knew this going in and with standalone cameras pushing 14MB I'll stick with a dedicated camera.

Battery life is good, lasts about as long as my Droid X which for me is 1 day. Due to the waterproof case there will probably never be am extended battery option.

No problem with music playback as another review stated nor do I have trouble finding the recording - built in music player plays the files just fine but I did swap the small microSD for a 16GB card.

I'm having trouble with the headset jack. I've tried 4 different headphones and the jack seems too large. All the plugs need to be just right or they don't work and inserting the plug all the way into the jack they definitely don't work. I have to pull the plug back out a milimeter or two for the headphones to work. I've tried Apple, Skullcandy, and two no name brands.

Still waiting for the Android 2.3 update. The Droid X got it a couple weeks ago.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, frustrating touch screen, June 29, 2011
Caveat Emptor

I have used the phone for about two weeks now. It has worked pretty well in general. The speed is good as is the display and battery life.

I have decided to return it because of the touch screen sensitivity.

In some applications it will not select no matter what you do. In others some areas of the touch screen sensitivity seem to be dead. Touch screen sensitivity seems to be better with some applications. Another reviewer mentioned that Verizon applications were the worst for touch issues.

If you are considering this phone make sure and try it with a return policy if not pleased. I also discovered after the fact that this is the sole Smartphone NEC makes for Verizon under the Casio brand - maybe touch screens and Android aren't their strength?

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible User Interface, December 23, 2011
I've been using a droid now for two years. I first had an HTC and then a Motorola. Both of those Droids had what I considered to be standard droid user interfaces. However, the phones were not very durable. So I got the Commando.

True to its billing, the Commando is tough. However, its user interface is primative.

Examples:

If you do a lot of text messaging, be prepared to be frustrated. It lacks the basic common sense functionality of the other droids I've used. If you are entering a word and the autocorrect changes it to something you didn't intend, in the other droids, backspacing will undo the change. Not on the Commando. You have to back up and reenter the entire word. Also, if you try to position your cursor in the middle of a word to make corrections, good luck. You have about a 50/50 chance that it will work right. Likewise, in the other droids, there was the speaker button for speach recognition. That is not available in the txting mode, or from what I've seen, in some of the apps. For instance, when running Google Maps, which did not come pre-installed, on the other droids, I could tell the phone the address and it would convert it to text and find it. In the Commando, you have to type the entire thing in.

Email alerts. I get email alerts constantly. And sometimes its just to tell me I have no new emails. Plus, when you do have new emails and have received an alert, when you go to check the email, they aren't there. You have to wait for them to be downloaded. Plus, your ability to view attachments and make return email is very crude.

Want to send pics and video clips via the Commando? Forget about it! The other droids have mechanisms for reducing the size of objects so that they can be sent. Not in the Commando. It just says its too big and you can't send it.

These are just a few examples of how primative and crude the Commando user interface is. There are many many more short comings. In fact, I would call it borderline pathetic.

If you just want a phone that is tough and you don't care about the abilities that droids can provide, then this will work for you. If you like, want, and depend on the features that the droid operating system is capable of delivering, you will not like this phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Commando, June 23, 2011
An Excellent Phone!!! I'm very rough on my gear, and so far this is the only smart phone that has been able to keep up with the abuse. I have no idea what the touchscreen issue is that others have talked about...mine is fine. Any more sensitive and it would be troublesome.

Only issues so far, and they are probably mine, are the battery isn't lasting as long as I would like (I'm looking for an extended battery now) and I haven't yet figured out how to turn off everything but the phone ringer at night. BB has it, and I am sure this does too, just haven't found it yet.

Overall a great phone that is standing up to the abuse. The GzGear is functional and fun.

Chief MAA(EXW)