Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's DW6900-1V G-Shock Classic Digital Watch with Black Band
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Black/Red|Change

on January 10, 1999
I have brought this watch through the trials of time and it continues to function flawlessly. I bought this watch before enduring 6 weeks of boot camp at the United States Naval Academy. The Casio G-Shock performed great in the mud, rain, rivers, and grueling sessions of physical training. If it can handle the military, it can handle any civilian duty!!
33 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 1998
This watch is the best all purpose watch. I am a Firefighter and I rely on this all the "time". I also reccomend this to people who work with electricity because of the all rubber design there is no chance the band will conduct and shock you unlike metal banded watches. And the price is the best I have seen.
on December 16, 1998
One of the best watches I have ever owned. A poster watch when it comes to durability and functionality. Doesn't have complex functions and bizzaro controls, but rather is suited for just about every individual. If you are an active outdoor individual and are afraid of hurting your watch when rollerblading, snowboarding, anything -- then buy a G-Shock and you will not be disappointed.
33 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Great watch and what a bargain it is.

Casio first introduced the 'G-Shock' brand with their 1983 GW-5000C model (today's Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF is practically the same thing), famously designed by a Casio engineer around the 'triple ten' concept: 10 year battery life, water resistant to 10 bar, and survive a 10m fall. Remember the television commercials, where the Casio watch is struck by a hockey stick and slammed into the net (and keeps on ticking...)?

Today, the G-Shock brand continues, with a multitude of variations and styles, all rugged and providing different combinations of digital display, chronograph type functions, water and shock resistance, and more.

Frankly I purchased this simply to see if I would like wearing a watch of this style. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I like wearing it, it's comfortable, and I like the styling. A lot.

I selected this particular model because it was (at the time) the least expensive G-Shock model sold on Amazon. There are one or two others close to it in price, and then there are models that are much more expensive. All the way to several hundreds of dollars for the latest, fanciest and most limited edition models. There are people who collect these things and keep track of all things G-Shock, track the variations on web sites and blogs. It's developed into quite the product line for Casio, but what I like is that the inherent ruggedness and functionality of the watches has still been preserved. Even if the watches are now all** made in China (** there are a couple of high-end models still manufactured in Japan, but only a couple as far as I've been able to determine).

This has a very legible display that shows date and time, along with the expected features of stopwatch and alarm. I haven't made use of the other features but they are not difficult to use if desired. The display can be briefly illuminated at night time by pressing the gray button just below the display.

This watch does the job for me. I'm 100% satisfied. I'll probably buy another, either to get a slightly different style for some variety, or even just to have a backup in case I damage or lose this one. Or to give as gifts. The season is approaching, after all.
review image
on August 5, 2007
I have had two of these and will buy a third soon. Why? Well, I have a knack for losing them. I had my first for close to 7 years (on the original battery) before I lost it. Bought a second one and that one dissapeared within months. You could say I'm not meant to have this watch but it's so good (and cheap enough @ amazon) that I will keep buying it. It is big and very sporty though, so I use it only for rugged outdoor activities, very informal wear, and sports.
on March 27, 2016
I purchased the DW6900 back in July of 2011. I love this watch. It is now March 2016 and I just had to change the battery for the first time. I have been given other watches that were much more expensive than this one, but I keep coming back to the DW6900. I have put this watch through a lot and it keeps ticking. I will continue to wear this watch until it no longer works, which I believe will be a long, long time.
on July 24, 2009
I have owned this watch for at least 10 years and it's been great. I've used it while running, swimming, cycling, walking, and for just plain everyday use. I've replaced a couple of batteries, and recently replaced the band. Regrettably, about a week after I replaced the band, a seal failed while I was swimming and fried the watch. I tried to get it fixed but it was beyond repair. I was heartbroken. Although I also own the G-Shock GW-300 (another great, higher-tech watch), I couldn't do without the DW-6900 and another one is on its way via amazon.com. I can't wait; it'll be like Christmas morning when the package arrives!
on August 31, 2015
This watch survived me having to lay down my bike. The pavement sanded off a good portion of the G shock raised portion, which would've been the flesh on my wrist if I wasn't wearing it. And it still works.
on September 28, 2015
I've had this watch for well over a year, jumped out of airplanes with it, been on the firing line with it, been a good bit underwater with it, and been in the sandbox with it. This watch will never stop, and is the holy grail of watches.
on December 2, 2015
It's the classic original style so it comes with a slightly stiffer and narrower band with a plastic clasp which is definitely cheaper than some of the more premium or limited edition G-Shocks with the metal clasp. Everything else is as you would expect. Nice addition to my collection as one that I will wear more often.