Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on January 10, 1999
I have brought this watch through the trials of time and it continues to function flawlessly. I bought this watch before enduring 6 weeks of boot camp at the United States Naval Academy. The Casio G-Shock performed great in the mud, rain, rivers, and grueling sessions of physical training. If it can handle the military, it can handle any civilian duty!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2009
I bought this watch around 10 years (or possibly more) ago when this watch was newly released. I had to change the battery once during that time (maybe twice i dont remember). Battery costs around 5$-10$ at local jewelry shop, including install. It isnt a large watch, but it isnt a smaller watch either like some unisex watches. It weights well too, not too light and not too heavy.

Most importantly, this thing is nearly bulletproof. When i say nearly, i am including bombarding this thing with a laser or other projectiles, therefore "nearly". I accidentaly left it outside in -10F temperature (Syracuse, NY) over the weekend (your skin with the wind chill would have say 10-30 mins before it leaves permanent reminders), accidently poured strong acid cleaner onto it, hot oil, auto-grease, dropped it a million times, accidentaly had a couch roll on top of it, hit/smacked it or with it as make shift hammer, you name it.
Sand, water, mud for this is like water to fish. I wouldnt worry a second about dropping it into a tub, wearing it for a swim in the ocean etc. After 10 years, and my abuse and beating it took due to my carelessness the outer resin cover started to come apart (note, this is after 10 years). Still, the watch worked and i mean every single feature worked without a hiccup. If i could get the outer resin and band replaced i would still keep it. But my wife threw it away, apparently it wasnt very good looking.
I dont know of any consumer product that can survive such servere usage and still work.
I am a Casio customer for life. I just bought a PAG-40B-2v.
on December 16, 1998
One of the best watches I have ever owned. A poster watch when it comes to durability and functionality. Doesn't have complex functions and bizzaro controls, but rather is suited for just about every individual. If you are an active outdoor individual and are afraid of hurting your watch when rollerblading, snowboarding, anything -- then buy a G-Shock and you will not be disappointed.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 1998
This watch is the best all purpose watch. I am a Firefighter and I rely on this all the "time". I also reccomend this to people who work with electricity because of the all rubber design there is no chance the band will conduct and shock you unlike metal banded watches. And the price is the best I have seen.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2011
My first gshock and man do I love it.. Bigger and bulkier than my timex expedition but it is great for when I go mountain biking, fishing, or to the gym. This watch just looks good, and I am not a fan of digital watches. The whole face on this thing is just sexy. The dials count a minute. The left two dials insert pie pieces tiles to form overall 10 seconds of time, (5 seconds on each individual dial) and the right dial keeps track of the elapsed number of seconds with it's pie piece tiles having titles of 10, 20 ,30, 40, & 50. So the minute is counted from left to right. Once all the pie pieces are inserted on the first dial, 5 seconds have elapsed and it moves on the next dial while keeping the pieces from the first dial inserted. The second dial then does the same thing and after it has inserted all of it's pieces, 10 second have elapsed. On to the third dial, one piece will be inserted into the "10" slot and the process starts over from the left again until the third dial reads "50" and then it does it one more time to clear the right dial of any pieces which signals a minute of elapsed time. These dials are in unison with the digital seconds displayed to the right of the time numbers. Watch seems to be pretty comfortable, I have had worse, but it would be better if the underside was slightly curved like my timex expedition seeing as I have bony smaller wrists. Overall an awesome watch. I love the feature allowing the alarm to light up while it goes off, that is pretty neat. The plastic buckle seems alright, let's just hope it doesn't break when it catches on a table at work. The easy access indiglo light button is awesome. Love it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2003
These G-Shocks are as tough as they come. I bought this one to replace one I left on a men's room sink only to find it gone when I realized what I had done. That one followed me around the world on several military excursions and took all the punishment thrown at it. Buy a Breitling or something to look snazzy in but if you're going to abuse a watch, this is the one for you.
on April 27, 2010
This is an excellent watch. I can tell you that quite a few servicemembers choose G-shocks, especially this one, as their watch for deployment. I took this very model to Iraq and then Afghanistan (with a trip to Hawaii in between) and it performed flawlessly.

Comfortable, durable band - plastic is surprisingly sturdy
Alarm loud enough to wake me up
Easy to find light button
Has all the necessary functions - without the flashy stuff you know you'll never need anyways
Crystal face is shielded by the casing - very scratch resistant material and shielding protects it well
Very waterproof. I've had it down to 50ft underwater, and I wear it regularly in the shower - never any fog or condensation inside
For how long I've had it (almost 2 years now), the casing and the band have no scratching, cracking, or visible wear and tear - and trust me, I have been rough with it.

The only thing is the "ADJUST" button. I wish it wern't recessed into the casing so that I could adjust the alarm easier, but this is a personal preference rather than a design/manufacturing flaw.

Again, I highly recommend this watch. It sits at the perfect line between cost and durability. It's not so expensive that I'd be afraid to put it to the test, yet the quality and durability is far superior to watches that cost far more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
Awesome watch! I got this watch as a gift from my brother after he graduated from Boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina. This watch is built TOUGHER than the name implies. I have been in two motorcycle accidents with this watch on my wrist. I don't hesitate taking this watch in the shower, the ocean, or hot tub. This watch is a real tank! This is one of the items of my EDC (everyday carry). This watch has scratches and the band is showing signs of wear, but this watch has never failed me ever. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!
review image
on April 6, 2015
The product was broken. The liquid crystals of the screen were broken and was impossible to read the hour and the three little screens. Moreover one of the four button was broken too.
review image
on December 19, 2012
This watch made me what I am today, a man's man. I put this on and I feel like Goose from Top Gun, only with a Chuck Norris beard. It's a throwback high tech piece that says "I need to know what time it is while I kick some a$$". This watch will say without saying "I have testicles, like whiskey straight, have a wicked round house and yes...I know what time it is". Only 2 things will survive the apocalypse, cockroaches and this watch. When I wear this watch geeks make way, operatives give me a knowing glance and the ladies swoon. You had better get this thing soon because I'm sure this watch will be prohibited in the upcoming, newly revived, assault weapons ban. This watch is to time pieces what an M1 Abrams tank is to motor vehicles. Strap one on.

On a serious note, it did last 7 years of hard law enforcement work in every kind of weather, in every type of situation. The battery died and some hoser jacked it up trying to change the battery out...otherwise I'd still have it. Have to buy another I guess.