5.0 out of 5 stars The best all-purpose active/sports watch I have ever owned.
I have brought this watch through the trials of time and it continues to function flawlessly. I bought this watch before enduring 6 weeks of boot camp at the United States Naval Academy. The Casio G-Shock performed great in the mud, rain, rivers, and grueling sessions of physical training. If it can handle the military, it can handle any civilian duty!!
Published on January 10, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke suprisingly easily
Bought this watch b/c of all the good reviews and i needed a new watch for scuba diving... I had it for about 2 weeks before i dove in the Florida keys, the deepest we got was a whole 60ft, though this is likely not what broke it. The day after the 60ft dive, i was flipped through the modes in the morning getting ready for the next dive, with no shock water or otherwise,...
Published on June 11, 2011 by Slingshot John

5.0 out of 5 stars The best all-purpose active/sports watch I have ever owned., January 10, 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Smash it, thrash it, crush it and it continues to tick, December 16, 1998
By A Customer
One of the best watches I have ever owned. A poster watch when it comes to durability and functionality. Doesn't have complex functions and bizzaro controls, but rather is suited for just about every individual. If you are an active outdoor individual and are afraid of hurting your watch when rollerblading, snowboarding, anything -- then buy a G-Shock and you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefines the notion of a durable and rugged watch, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch around 10 years (or possibly more) ago when this watch was newly released. I had to change the battery once during that time (maybe twice i dont remember). Battery costs around 5$-10$ at local jewelry shop, including install. It isnt a large watch, but it isnt a smaller watch either like some unisex watches. It weights well too, not too light and not too heavy.

Most importantly, this thing is nearly bulletproof. When i say nearly, i am including bombarding this thing with a laser or other projectiles, therefore "nearly". I accidentaly left it outside in -10F temperature (Syracuse, NY) over the weekend (your skin with the wind chill would have say 10-30 mins before it leaves permanent reminders), accidently poured strong acid cleaner onto it, hot oil, auto-grease, dropped it a million times, accidentaly had a couch roll on top of it, hit/smacked it or with it as make shift hammer, you name it.
Sand, water, mud for this is like water to fish. I wouldnt worry a second about dropping it into a tub, wearing it for a swim in the ocean etc. After 10 years, and my abuse and beating it took due to my carelessness the outer resin cover started to come apart (note, this is after 10 years). Still, the watch worked and i mean every single feature worked without a hiccup. If i could get the outer resin and band replaced i would still keep it. But my wife threw it away, apparently it wasnt very good looking.
I dont know of any consumer product that can survive such servere usage and still work.
I am a Casio customer for life. I just bought a PAG-40B-2v.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Rugged Watch In the World, December 7, 1998
By A Customer
This watch is the best all purpose watch. I am a Firefighter and I rely on this all the "time". I also reccomend this to people who work with electricity because of the all rubber design there is no chance the band will conduct and shock you unlike metal banded watches. And the price is the best I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 tough watch, December 15, 2003
By A Customer
These G-Shocks are as tough as they come. I bought this one to replace one I left on a men's room sink only to find it gone when I realized what I had done. That one followed me around the world on several military excursions and took all the punishment thrown at it. Buy a Breitling or something to look snazzy in but if you're going to abuse a watch, this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT THE THREE DIALS ARE FOR!, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch (Watch)
My first gshock and man do I love it.. Bigger and bulkier than my timex expedition but it is great for when I go mountain biking, fishing, or to the gym. This watch just looks good, and I am not a fan of digital watches. The whole face on this thing is just sexy. The dials count a minute. The left two dials insert pie pieces tiles to form overall 10 seconds of time, (5 seconds on each individual dial) and the right dial keeps track of the elapsed number of seconds with it's pie piece tiles having titles of 10, 20 ,30, 40, & 50. So the minute is counted from left to right. Once all the pie pieces are inserted on the first dial, 5 seconds have elapsed and it moves on the next dial while keeping the pieces from the first dial inserted. The second dial then does the same thing and after it has inserted all of it's pieces, 10 second have elapsed. On to the third dial, one piece will be inserted into the "10" slot and the process starts over from the left again until the third dial reads "50" and then it does it one more time to clear the right dial of any pieces which signals a minute of elapsed time. These dials are in unison with the digital seconds displayed to the right of the time numbers. Watch seems to be pretty comfortable, I have had worse, but it would be better if the underside was slightly curved like my timex expedition seeing as I have bony smaller wrists. Overall an awesome watch. I love the feature allowing the alarm to light up while it goes off, that is pretty neat. The plastic buckle seems alright, let's just hope it doesn't break when it catches on a table at work. The easy access indiglo light button is awesome. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect balance between cost, function, and durability., April 27, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch (Watch)
This is an excellent watch. I can tell you that quite a few servicemembers choose G-shocks, especially this one, as their watch for deployment. I took this very model to Iraq and then Afghanistan (with a trip to Hawaii in between) and it performed flawlessly.

PROS:
Comfortable, durable band - plastic is surprisingly sturdy
Alarm loud enough to wake me up
Easy to find light button
Has all the necessary functions - without the flashy stuff you know you'll never need anyways
Crystal face is shielded by the casing - very scratch resistant material and shielding protects it well
Very waterproof. I've had it down to 50ft underwater, and I wear it regularly in the shower - never any fog or condensation inside
For how long I've had it (almost 2 years now), the casing and the band have no scratching, cracking, or visible wear and tear - and trust me, I have been rough with it.

CONS:
The only thing is the "ADJUST" button. I wish it wern't recessed into the casing so that I could adjust the alarm easier, but this is a personal preference rather than a design/manufacturing flaw.

Again, I highly recommend this watch. It sits at the perfect line between cost and durability. It's not so expensive that I'd be afraid to put it to the test, yet the quality and durability is far superior to watches that cost far more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, simple but also outdated, July 24, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch (Watch)
I love this this watch, i have it now for a few days, and it's simplicity, solid construction, and it's look all make you love it. but with the advantages comes the disadvantages:
1)it's heavier then the newer models
2)it's big
3)the screen is half taken by some half-functional graphics
4)you can't set the alarm with the back light on
5)it only has 1 alarm clock (other models have up to 5)
6)the battery only lasts for 2 years (by manufacture) - other can last up to 5 years. (note you cant change the battery on yourself)
7)it lacks the auto light-on option (light turns on every time you pick you arm to look at the time)
8)the buttons are metal, and not covered by plastic or rubber like in other models, i can see how dirt can get stuck there.

Casio made a long way in development or their watches, and i see no reason to skimp on the 15$ or more separating between this model to others, more updated models. with that said, there is nothing really wrong with this model, it's reliable (by others confessions), it's glass is very strong, and the overall construction is extremely solid - almost to the way it will make you smash it in hard objects, just to see if it's still works.
in conclusion. i had i chance to replace this one with other models, but i didn't, i preferred to save the few dollars, and stick with this one, mainly because i am looking to serve in the military with this watch, and most of the extra option (Auto-Light, 5 alarms,different time zones) are just not useful for military service.
but for any other use, i recommend looking at different Casio models, do it fast, before this watch reliability will make you fall in love with it, and develop guilt for discarding an old friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, August 5, 2007
I have had two of these and will buy a third soon. Why? Well, I have a knack for losing them. I had my first for close to 7 years (on the original battery) before I lost it. Bought a second one and that one dissapeared within months. You could say I'm not meant to have this watch but it's so good (and cheap enough @ amazon) that I will keep buying it. It is big and very sporty though, so I use it only for rugged outdoor activities, very informal wear, and sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5-Star Watch without a 5-Star Price, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch (Watch)
I was first introduced to the Casio G-Shock in about 30 feet of water. My friend and I were snorkeling when I saw a flash of light on the bottom of the lake floor. I free dove down to it and to my surprise it was a Casio G-Shock. It had obviously been down there for awhile as it was covered in seaweed and such. Nonetheless it was still working. My guess is that it had been down there about a year or so considering the growth on it. I brought it to the store, got a new band, cleaned up the base and proceeded to wear it for about two years or so. Finally, the battery died. Back then it was recommended that the watch be professionally sealed when the battery was replaced. I sent Casio the watch and the story. They replaced the watch for 10 dollars (the cost of the shipping). Since that day I have been a die hard Casio G-Shock fan.

I bought the DW6900 because I needed a new watch for Basic Training in the Army. 13 years, countless military schools (Airborne, SERE-C, Jumpmaster, etc...), 2 deployments to Afghanistan, 1 deployment to Iraq and dozens of jumps out of perfectly good airplanes later it finally gave up the protective shroud around it, but not the ghost. It still works! Unfortunately, considering my chosen profession, and its current condition, I cannot wear it any longer. As a result, I decided I needed a change and purchased a Casio GD100. Also a very fine watch - see review.

Bottom line ... I like this watch! It truly lives up to the G-Shock name. It is practical, durable, and ultimately does what it was made to do. It has all of the features that a military member or sportsman could ever want - Time, date, day, stopwatch, countdown, Illuminator light, etc... Best of all, it is simple. Even the technology challenged should not have a problem making this watch work for himself/herself. The only downside that I can think of concerning the DW6900 is that it "only" lasted 13 years and not 14. Aside of that, this is a quality watch that falls right into line with the G-Shock tradition. If you are looking for a solid watch that will provide years of quality service and won't break the bank, look no further... this is your watch. A 5-star recommend without a 5-Star price.

Casio Men's DW6900-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch