Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Matte Black/Black|Change

on December 1, 2007
I just had to buy this for my husband to replace the one he got four years ago when he first joined the Army. The first one survived a tour and a half in Iraq, not to mention everyday abuse. He loves it and made sure that I got the exact same one again.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2010
Everybody in the battalion was issued this watch before we shipped out for Iraq back in 2005, five years ago today actually, and the battery finally just died last night, WOW!...This thing lasted through an entire tour in Iraq, it made it through all the blood, sweat and tears and it just kept going. GREAT WATCH!
1919 comments|269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2009
So I purchased this G-shock model back in August of 2008. I had been wearing the exact same model for over 10 years. Not having any major problems, other than needing to change the battery 3 times over this period (and with it coming closer to needing a battery change), I opted to just buy a new one.

As seen from reading other reviews here, it seems like this watch is hit-or-miss. It can be very, very durable or just die on you. I was doing laundry today, and it looks like the static electricity from handling the clothes out of the drier has just went and killed it! I was absolutely shocked, seeing as how it's called a G-SHOCK and all; and not having any problems with my old watch. I wear this all day every day, and to be done in by LAUNDRY is just sad.

I have contacted Casio to try and get a replacement (it says it's under limited warranty, but I can't find any details), but from reading other's comments I don't have the best feeling...

Obviously, since I've been wearing this for almost half my life, I have been generally pleased with it. And I've gone back to my original one for the time being. I may end up just buying a third...because I do really like this watch.

General warnings/tips:
-Try not to use the backlight - ever; it'll absolutely destroy your battery life. When I first got mine I used it all the time, and in a few months it was dead. The next time I got my battery changed - I didn't use it at all and it lasted for about 3 years.
-I didn't realize that if you get the battery changed, the waterseal is gone. Found out the hard way while swimming at a public pool.
33 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2012
This is my everyday watch and all i have to say is i love it. it lights up, has a stop watch, an alarm clock and its durable enough not to break when i play sports with it on or work out plus my favorite color red is in it. Its a great watch and got here on time so theres no reason not to buy one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 20, 2010
I am a watch addict/collector. I have written a couple of reviews on Timex watches that I own here on Amazon and revealed that I own gobs of watches. I have at one point or currently own Tag Heuer, Gucci, Skagen, Swatch, Swiss Army, Nike, Tudor, 2 Ironman Timex and 2 Expedition Timex's. What I didn't have, was a Casio G-Shock.

PROS:
- Great rugged look
- Good set of time functions
- Easy to read display
- Comfortable band
- Rated for recreational scuba diving
- Fantastic value
- 2 Year Battery

CONS:
- None, seriously.

I have probably lusted over G-Shock watches for over 2 decades when I first saw one that a relative owned. However, I have very small wrists and always feared it would be too large for me. When I saw the DW9052-1V classic model at Amazon's offered price, I figured I didn't have much to lose.

When I received it, I strapped it on and knew immediately that I had made a great decision. Not only does it look fantastic, with it's rugged good looks, but it is amazingly comfortable. It doesn't look overly big on my wrist and the soft resin band just feels good. The band is fairly thin and forms around my wrist well. I have other watches with resin or rubber straps that are not nearly as comfortable.

The display is easy to read, but might be a tad small for those with poor eyesight. The green illumination is a neat change from all the Indiglo watches I own and makes reading the watch at night a breeze. The DW9052-1V has a good set of time functions, most of which I probably will never use. It is water resistant to 200m, which is twice as deep as any of my Timex watches. It's even rated for recreational scuba diving.

Is there a better watch for under $40? I can't think of any. I was torn between this one and the Casio G-Shock Mudman but honestly, I like the way the Classic version looks better and it's a far better deal. The CR2016 battery is rated for 2 years, though who knows how long ago the battery was inserted initially. You can get a PDF manual for the watch by searching Casio's support site for "Module" 1659 but it is really simple to set. I really love my G-Shock and foresee adding more to my collection in the near future.
on October 31, 2007
I'm a building contractor who's been wearing G-shocks since 1986. I've probably gone through five of them. With the earlier models I was always having to replace the watch band because I brutalized them so badly on the jobsite. The most recent one I bought was the DW9052. Good watch and the band lasted very well, but the battery is starting to go so I've ordered a new Gulfman. The problem with the DW9052 watch is that the battery is only rated for two years. Granted, I got nearly four years out of it, but I'm buying the Gulfman this time because it has a battery that is rated for seven years. Of course, it costs twice as much, which proves you get what you pay for. (Never pay to have a battery replaced in a G-shock, since they can't guarantee it will remain waterproof after they open the watchcase.)

G-shocks in general are the sturdiest watches ever built. I've beaten the hell out of mine for over 20 years. To borrow a phrase from another manufacturer, "they take a lickin and keep on tickin."

One more thing: if a G-shock is your every day watch and you own a dress watch as well, be careful when you wear the dress watch. They aren't as forgiving as G-shocks. You forget you are wearing them and end up going body surfing or something. It's happened twice to me while on vacation. I destroyed a Universal Geneve that my wife bought me in Singapore and nearly ruined a Tissot. My wife was not amused.
44 comments|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2015
Overall, this is a very solid time piece. It is very easy to use and aesthetically pleasing. The only complaint I had was that the standard band is a bit too short for a larger wrist. To correct this, I removed the band and put my old nylon strap holders in its place from an older G-Shock. They were a perfect fit. So far, so good as I have no other complaints and these watches withstand a lot of punishment from my job. A highly recommended budget G-Shock.
review image
on September 9, 2011
Bought this watch for my son, I needed something stylish but tough,
I certainly don't have to worry about him breaking this watch, it is
absolutely built for a rough and tumble teenager.He loves it so much,
he goes to bed wearing it.Best of all I got it at a bargain price on Amazon.
on February 14, 2015
I dig this watch. I'm a young woman so I thought it was going to be massive, but the face is a nice fit across my wrist. I wear it either on the 3rd or 4th notch. Keeps time so nicely it's almost synced up to my work clock down to about a second. Hah! Its a lovely matte black with grey and dull yellow lettering.
review image
on December 3, 2007
I purchased this Casio G-Shock for my husband's birthday and he loved it. It is such a good quality for a great price. He especially liked the lighted face for viewing in the dark. I would recommend this to anyone that wants a sturdy watch at a great price.