4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Work/Casual watch
Published on April 21, 2008 by FallFromGrace

1.0 out of 5 stars Ripoff
Published on August 26, 2011 by L. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Work/Casual watch, April 21, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's EF305-1AV "Edifice" Multifunction Analog Watch (Watch)
This watch is an excellent every day watch for someone who wants an affordable watch that they can wear to work or to the park. With its chronograph styling, dark resin band, and classic sizing (I think it's ~38mm diameter and not too thick, though as I recently lost mine I can't be sure), it definitely will give the impression that you are wearing a much more expensive watch. When I used to wear it, I got compliments on it all the time and cost estimates in the hundreds =D.

However, don't be fooled by the "multifunction watch" title. The sub-dials show day/date/24-hour time, and that's it--no dual time, no stopwatch, it's not a digital watch replacement. The second markings aren't clear or accurate enough for you to really time anything. This was mostly fine for me but I found myself occasionally missing those functions. What I personally found most annoying, however, was the choice of mineral crystal as the watch window material, a poor compromise between acrylic and sapphire glass. Harder than acrylic, but way softer than sapphire, it still scratches fairly easily for a "beater" watch but you don't have the option of easily buffing it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, nice watch, May 14, 2008
I've had this watch for about a month and wear it daily to work. For the price point I feel it's well made. All hands function as they should. Time and day of the week are easy to read, but the smaller date hand can be hard to read at a glance. The band is comfortable to wear during long hours at work and it does not retain water as many link bands tend to do if you have to wash your hands frequently. The stainless steel case is attractive; a nice size for a man's watch--too soon to comment on durability but for around $30 you can't go wrong.

This watch served well while it lasted. After approx 2.5 years the band has broken. The watch still works fine but at this price point it's futile to pay $20 for a band and then likely a battery in the near future. I am going to try my luck with the Timex Men's T49772 Casual Diver Watch as a work watch in the clinical setting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ripoff, August 26, 2011
L. Smith (Princeton, IL) - See all my reviews
This is a fine watch except for the band. I've had mine for about a year. The cheap resin band is cracked where it passes through the buckle and is about break at the slightest strain. I went to Wal-Mart (where I bought it) to buy a band. None of the available bands would work due to the odd configuration of the watch body. I called Casio and learned that their proprietary bands are not available in retail stores and that I would have to order it from Casio - almost 22 dollars, including shipping. I'm left to wonder if this is a deliberate ripoff strategy or poor product design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch for its price!, July 21, 2010
It is a multifunction watch, but as multifunction as people think it is. It does have Date/time and a 24 hour clock, and to honest that's really all I need. I was looking for a watch that cheap and analog, and this is what I picked up. Plus, it glows in the dark. No longer need to ask what time it is, or what the date is (maybe the month and year, if you time traveled from the future).

2.0 out of 5 stars OK watch for the low price if it would have worked. It failed right from the start......, August 19, 2014
On appearance I would give this watch 3 or 4 starts. The face of the watch looks great, but could stand to be a little larger. If you aren't a big man (don't have large wrists / hands) then you may really like it. The band looks prett cheap and could stand to be a little wider as well. Overall, it is somewhat of an elegant / classy watch (or is trying to be) and looks pretty good for the price. However, I gave it two stars because it never worked properly. The date function never moved and it just stayed on the same date. Also, the date is featured on one of the very small dials and is very difficult to read as is. Also, it is a 31 day date counter and the watch assumes that each month has 31 days. So, you will have to reset the date (if you are luck enough for it to work) on months that only have 30 days. I thought that was annoying and poor design. I want to set a watch once and have it be accurate, as opposed to having to reset it every other month, etc. Anyway, I didn't even get that far since it never worked. I returned it. (I wouldn't recommend this watch for a professional job. It looks too cheap for that. It is a decent off work watch to wear seasonally. Also, I have a feeling based on the design that it would become scratched relatively quickly / easily and wouldn't look good for more than a year or so anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars good watch,very hard to see the smaller dials, March 31, 2011
i like many of you dont like a watch thats all plastic. and amazon needs to come up with better filtered search results. i searched through almost five thousand watches to find one that had an all metal stainless steel case. this one looked nice and what attracted me to it was the fancy extra dials. i wanted a watch that looked like it was expensive. a watch for dress occasions. the watch does not have a light to see it in the dark. which i believe it should have, the smaller dials are extremely hard to read, you almost need a magnifying glass to read them.

5 stars for the fact that its all metal. 2 stars for the fact that it badly needs a light and the smaller dials are hard to see.

overall, its a good analogue watch to have. and its metal, not resin plastic that the majority of watches are made of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swanky-Looking Casio, December 17, 2013
This watch looks expensive. The Casio Edifice series seems to be going for a more stylish, upscale look. I'd say this is the best bargain of the lot. It is not a chronograph (stopwatch), though it resembles one. The three subdials display day, date, and 24-hour time. They are all set using the crown. This watch is much more substantial than it appears in the photos. It is also larger than the stated measurements, as often seems to be the case at Amazon--you have to take the size data with a grain of salt. The actual case diameter is 40mm, excluding the crown. The band width is 22mm at the lug and tapers to 18mm. (The replacement band for this model is listed as 20mm. Go figure.) The reason the watch feels so substantial is that it is reinforced at the lugs to protect the spring pin. This is a vulnerable area of a watch, where the band is joined to the case. That's why you will see fixed lugs on many military watches, which eliminates the spring pin--a nylon strap is then wound over the lug and under the watch case. At any rate, this is a stylish, affordable, and very comfortable watch, thanks to the resin strap. One feature I haven't seen elsewhere is that the tip of the strap gently retains the keeper and prevents it from sliding off the end. This is a nice touch, and I hope that Casio will incorporate this feature on all their resin straps in future. This has quickly become my husband's favorite watch. I'd say Casio did a great job with this one, and Amazon's price makes it a terrific value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful,,. but a Disposable watch!, September 19, 2013
This Casio is a nice looking watch. It's comfortable, not too big or too small, and easy enough to read. It was nice while it lasted. Thankfully the watch was not very expensive.

When the watch band breaks (and it Will Break) just throw it away, because you are not going to find another one to fit it (unless you buy it directly from Casio, and that will probably cost you nearly as much as the watch).

If all you want is a nice, fairly cheap, clean looking watch that will last you for about a year - buy it. If you want something that is going to last longer - look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY good watch for the money, May 15, 2013
4.5 years and the band is PERFECT...Not a crack or split anywhere on it. This has been an almost daily worn watch, also has experienced a TON of bangs and a few drops at work (receiving dock)I really do not know what people do to theirs to make the bands break or the watch to stop working. This for the money has lasted me almost twice what my Timex expedition did...

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch Bad Band, March 14, 2013
I like the watch face, but since the shape of the attachment to the band is part of the watch, I'd have to say I don't like the watch.

The band is uncomfortable. Did Casio even try one of these on (a human arm)? The band is not replaceable with any other kind of band. You have to use a Casio made band... and that band is about $15-30. Some bands cost more than the total watch.

So this will be a throw-away watch when the battery dies or the band breaks as many people complain happens.

I should have paid more attention to these reviews!