4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous. Set and forget!
Published on March 6, 2011 by Keith in Dallas

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, high quality watch
Published 11 months ago by Ox

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous. Set and forget!, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Casio Edifice Quartz Black Dial Black Band - Men's Watch EQs500C-1A1 (Watch)
This is my second Casio Edifice. The Edifice line is made in Japan, and a much better quality than other Casio's. I was looking for a new watch with, specifically: black face, black band, dual time at a glance, perpetual calendar, nice looking for dress. When I found this watch, I had to have it. It retails for $250 direct from Casio, so don't pay more than that. I got mine elsewhere, since the one's listed here are over retail. I had to wait a month for it to come in as they are back-ordered everywhere. It was worth the wait. Once you set it, you can forget it. I received mine in Feb., and after Feb 28, it automatically switched to March 1. All my other analog watches, I had to change the date. Setting up the watch is a little time consuming as the manual is confusing. But once it is set, you no longer have to touch it unless switching time zones. Just remember, when setting the year, you are only setting the last 2 digits (IE 11), not the full year (IE 2011). Once I figured that out, setup was a breeze.

Pros: Gorgeous, perfect size - not too thick, not too wide, set and forget, dual time, world time, solar powered, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Cons: No back-light - some other sites say it has a back-light. It does not. It does have good illuminescence, however. Not atomic. Some other websites claim it has atomic time-keeping - it does not. I really wanted that feature, but I'm sticking with it. I have to get used to keeping the watch exposed to light, as I usually like to keep my watches covered by my sleeve. The band is stiff and detracts from the looks of this watch. I ordered a Modena F1 22mm band and LOVE it. Check out the pictures. The Modena band really makes this watch stand out and ups its elegance.

Definitely recommended if you like this type of watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking and functional dual time watch, March 26, 2011
Wesley "the Zepto" (CARLSBAD, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I have to lay the background for this review.
I have owned quite a few Casio watches -- a cheap "classic" analog watch, a couple of sport watches, a couple of atomic watches (returned) and a couple of G-shock's. I can not say all the experiences were positive.
The cheap "classic" watch actually was good, for the money. I don't think you can get anything better in that price range. The sport watches were quite good too, only thing was the plastic surface was scratch prone, but I have got more than what I paid for.
The G-shock is legendary. They are awesome watches. I still have them, and they last forever. You don't need to worry about a thing about them - they are Atomic and Solar, which automatically sync up with the Atomic Clock over the air and adjust to DST and STD time by itself too, and they charge via lights.
The awful ones were the ones in between (I mean, the price). They worked just as well, but they are truly ugly and uncomfortable. (Yep, returned them right the way, paid the shipping.)
Now, I have this Edifice Black Label. I was little worried before getting, because it was expensive and it was not atomic. Also, I was worried that with all the functionalities provided by this watch, it could be a painful experience to own them.
I have to say that I was happily surprised. The calendar was pre-programed. As soon as I took the watch out of the box, all the needles started racing, it was kind of fun to watch that. But, wait a minute, after all the motions stopped, the time was not right -- The day is a day ahead, the hour is not right, the minute was the only thing looked right. Uh, it was in UTC. OK, time to look at the manual - sure enough I need to set my home city. After that was done the watch adjusted itself, hour, day and date and everything was perfect! - I was wowed.
Still, I have my doubt on easy use of this watch, so I started playing around by following the instructions in the user manual, for example setting a world time city and swapping world time city with home city and back. I probably have to practice a couple of more times to be able to repeat that without the manual, but with the manual in front me, it was easy. Good thing is that I don't really have to do that - I am happy with the small dials showing me the world city time.
Summary:
Pros: Nice looking. Probably the best look for a Casio. Dual time display. World time. Solar. Easy of operation (I would say this is as easy as it gets for a watch with this many of functions. If you really want a watch you don't need the manual, go for a G-shock Atomic Solar.). Nicely written manual. I have been frustrated by user's manuals before, but not this one.
Cons: Not atomic - There are Atomic models for Edifice, but somehow I like the layout of this one the best - . The band is little stiff and on the bulky side, not much but noticeable. It's little on the heavy side for my preference (this can easily be a pro, since it does give you a very solid feeling). I wish there is a titanium model of this, that will make it lighter.
I would give it 4.5 stars, but that's not an option, let me give it 5 stars instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch, January 25, 2011
This is the first watch I have owned since I was a kid. I found it in the Casio online catalog, and immediately wanted it. Looks great in person. Nice size. It makes a good dress/work watch without looking like "an old man's watch" as my girlfriend would say. I use the date, and day of the week functions. The other displays are not very useful because of the small size, but contribute to the look of the watch. The glass seems very durable as I have bumped it a number of times and so far no visible scratches.
Overall I am very happy with this watch and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont believe others..., January 24, 2011
I need to write this review because i own this watch and i can say its a great time piece. Looks good, functions perfectly. People complaining about how hard it is to set up need to go back to school and learn to read the directions. Thats why it comes with a manual. Sometimes in life things dont come easy, like "people setting your watch for you at the shop"....sometimes you just have to do it yourself. I need to give it 5* to bump this watch up. Great and surprising product by casio. Thought i would never buy one after grade school. But here i am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch!, October 7, 2013
First of all I have to say that before buy this watch, I've reviewed almost 15 watches after arrive to the conclusion that this would be the best choice (brand, color, size, price).
This is a gorgeous watch, at the time that is out of the box you can feel how strong and robust the product is.
If you are looking for a good-looking casual/sport watch this should be an excellent choice.
The initial configuration may result a little tricky but if you read the manual and pay attention to what is there, you should not have any issue to have the watch configured in 5/10 minutes.

One final interesting comment, but not less important:
It may happen, not always, but may happen that at the first time that you start to configure the watch, you could notice that second hand is not perfectly aligned as you can see in the manual's images (after I noticed this, I also saw some weird behaviors with the other hands). Before panicking, I repeated to myself "this must be normal", "this must be normal", but no! that was not normal at all.
All the hands must be aligned exactly as you see in the manual, if you see something wrong with them, you have to go to the manual's section "Adjusting the Home Positions", thanks Casio for adding this capability to readjust the original hands positions.
Finally this could also happen to you, so don't worry there's a fix.

I hope this comment helps someone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Looking and Functional, January 21, 2011
This watch is useful and looks great. That is what initially drew me to it. I wanted another affordable watch, without a steel or titanium bracelet, that could be worn in a casual, sporty and dress-up environment. When I came across Casio's new line, Edifice, I found the watch I was looking for. With the world time, dual time zone, alarm and solar function, there is little more that you could want from an analog watch. I didn't experience the difficulty in setting up the watch that other reviewers mentioned, but as the owner of many watches, I have had to set up watches before with many complications and knew my way around. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. The great thing about perpetual date watches like this is that once the watch is set, there is no need to change it. I have also not experienced any modification of the time or function simply by wearing it.

If you are looking for a watch that can really take a beating indoors or out, this is probably not what you are looking for and is not a substitute for a G-Shock. Instead, consider this watch if you are looking for an affordable, functional, cool-looking timepiece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, high quality watch, September 7, 2013
I really wanted to keep this watch. It had a lot of features I was looking for, solar powered, perpetual calendar, and multiple time zones. It was easy to set up and had a nice weight to it. But as soon as I put it on I could see it wasn't for my small wrist. When I adjusted the band, it left a fair amount sticking out beyond the movable rubber holder. If my wrist was medium to large, the band would be perfect. It was a very comfortable band even though it didn't fit me. The big issue is with the legibility of the watch face. I own several Eco-Drives with equally small print on the face, but it's legible. I don't think the Casio print was completely white or there isn't much contrast on the face. Overall, the low contrast writing and tick marks makes the face very one dimensional and difficult to read. The low contrast face is similar their 550PB, 552PB and 600, which I also considered. Ultimately, I returned it for a Seiko Solar Chronograph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Time Piece!, January 31, 2012
I like to think of myself as an amateur watch collector. I don't usually drop too much money on watches, but I do love all kinds of time pieces. I currently have about 15 watches, ranging from Citizen, Seiko, Invicta, SUG, Timex etc ... I was originally thrown off that a "Casio" would have such an expensive line. I always thought of Casio along the same lines as Timex and Armitron, just some budget friendly "cheaper" watches. Previously, the most I've spent on a watch was about $175, and I was really hesitant to drop over $200 on this watch, especially because I'm EXTREMELY picky about my watches. But since it was offered by Amazon, and I knew that as a Prime Member I could return no questions asked, then I decided to take a leap for this watch.

I'm so glad I did! This watch is absolutely beautiful in person, the pictures do NOT do it justice! I had not previously had a watch that was complex, to this extent, to set. 90% of my watches are simple analog watches with a crown to manually set the watch in the traditional sense. Before attempting to do anything myself with this watch, I opened the instruction booklet and looked up how to set up my home city. I'm in Texas, but Central Time was easy to find on the City Chart in the back of the booklet by seeing that Chicago is also -6. So I followed the steps to change the home city to Chicago, and as soon as the second hand made it to Chicago, the time, date and day changed to the exact current date and time. I was wow'd to say the least. I have an atomic clock on my wall, and this watch was right on with the correct time!

The reason I went for this watch was because I needed a more casual watch, most of my watches have a metal band, and the two that don't are dressy leather banded watches. So I definitely needed something more casual for everyday wear. I figured since it was for everyday and not just special occasions, then it was a little more justifiable to spend a little extra on something I'd get more use out of. The watch feels very very solid and doesn't feel cheap at all. The fact that it's solar powered is an added bonus as I don't ever have to worry about a battery. This watch definitely has a great sporty look, and it still retains that hint of classy traditional look with the all black and analog dial. The red second hand gives it just that hint of flare that helps it stand out even more. I'm definitely looking forward to sporting this watch every day! Casio has pleasantly surprised me, and I may have just been converted to Casio as my casual watch brand. Highly HIGHLY recommend this watch!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
Very well watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars ilike it, May 26, 2014
love the watch but inscution book to small and complicated got help from casio and they even hard time getting me running.

Rate and Discover Movies