4.0 out of 5 stars HDR compact
I bought this camera and I had it for a week now. My friend from japan who told me this is popular in their country because of its features: HDR, HDR art, zoom etc.

Published on March 10, 2011 by Inaka

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fiddly
I bought this Casio camera because of its built in High Dynamic Range (HDR) capability. I wasn't disappointed. The HDR art feature was of less interest and once I tired it soon discounted it altogether.

Published on March 13, 2011 by Horace Mullin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fiddly, March 13, 2011
Horace Mullin "Dan" (Mildenhall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 Digital Camera with 12 MP CMOS Image Stabilized Sensor (Black) (Electronics)

Using simple auto mode the camera is quick and responsive. Using any other mode slows things up considerably while you wait for the camera to 'do' its thing for that particular mode. The results were ususlly worth the wait but waiting often meant you missed the next shot.

I returned the camera to Amazon, not because I was disappointed with it but because of its fiddly controls. At age 67 my fingers, already large, are less mobile and I found some of the buttons less than friendly. The on/off button is small and sometimes hard to find quickly. The mode buttons are larger but all buttons are flush mounted with the top of the case so less obvious where to put ones fingers especially in low lit places or at night.

Overall a fine camera with many desirable features. The pictures I did take were mostly very good it was just the controls that let you down. Also the zoom is too fast and often difficult to find the degree of zoom you want. Sometimes that meant I shot with a wider lens than needed simply because I couldn't stop it at the disired focal length.

4.0 out of 5 stars HDR compact, March 10, 2011

Pros: The best feature for me on this camera is the HDR and HDR Art. It is soo cool and easy! I always use my DSLR to take 3 shots and edit those shots using Photomatix and obviously lots of work with this camera even without a stand it can take a nice HDR shot! Brilliant!

The HS continuos shutter is also awesome. I take a lot of picture of my 2 yo daughter and she moves a lot! It takes about 15 or so shots and you will not miss a moment that you want. This is probably good for action or sports shots.

Another best feature on this camera is the zoom, I compared my old Sony p&s and this one does excel better with the zoom.

Cons: The camera is not slim so for some it is a downer, it's not a big deal for me.

I have not fully tested the other feat of the camera - panoramic and video and i am not really a big fan of it but the video is not bad at all it does take a good quality 720p.

Overall I am satisfied as I take a lot of picture of my daughter and nature shots as well.

PS. I'm not a professional photographer but I love taking random shots of everything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Video in bright light but with some issues., June 2, 2011
I bought this camera based on that it was on second place on the Point & shoot digital camera Ratings according to Consumer Reports after the Canon PowerShot S95.
I am deciding on returning or not based on the following simple aspects:

I have a Canon HV20 camcorder that was consider the best consumer camcorder. I also have a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS digital camera which is a pretty good camera and my wife loves it but the LCD is broken. This camera has 4 1/2 stars base on 465 reviews on Amazon. I have watched the videos and photos on a Sony KDL-40XBR2 which was consider the best LCD TV.
I want a digital camera to replace both; which means it should take excellent pictures and high definition video in a compact size.

The Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 video quality:
Takes very good to excellent video outside in bright light.
Indoor video is good but it doesn't have the same quality as my Canon HV20. Specially on skin tones.
Low light video is not so good my Canon HV20 is superior in low light.

The Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 photo quality:
Side by side with my Canon PowerShot SD870 IS there is a clear winner and is my Canon SD870 IS. I mostly take pictures of my daughter and wife. Skin tones with flash are not accurate.

I dont want to go deeper in the review and just wanted to go as simple as possible. I am not a professional photographer but I am an enthusiastic one. I took a photography class and I was a Graphic designer. I like to do a lot of research on digital cameras and camcorders.

I have done a lot of research to find a compact digital camera with a balance quality between video and photo in bright and low light, but I haven't found any real candidate. The dilemma comes into one aspect: Sensor type.
CCD Sensor takes excellent photos and video in bright and low light but video resolution is limited to 1280×720 and shows vertical smears on bright light sources.
MOS or CMOS sensor takes somehow good quality of photos and uses less energy. Video can reach 1920x1080 resolution and doesn't show vertical smears on bright light sources but quality is not as good as CCD sensors especially in low light.

Conclusion:
I want to continue trying this camera to see what happens, and update my review later if possible. In the meantime I recommend this camera if you want it exclusively for taking video outside in bright light.
For good quality photos with flash you should look for it in another camera such as the Canon S95 but for a premium price. Good luck...

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid offering, pretty pleased with it, May 23, 2011
This actually wasn't my first choice camera. I had ordered a camera, but the ship date kept slipping. Finally, I had to give up on it because I needed a new camera for a family trip to Disney World. I'm not at all disappointed at how it worked out. This is a small, sleek, good looking camera that's supports SDHC. (I don't have any SDXCs to try it with, but a 32GB Class 10 SDHC worked just fine.) Picture quality is good, provided that you are comparing it to other point-and-shoots, not DSLRs. The zoom is fantastic. One major reason I wanted a new camera was shutter lag; the time between when I press the button and when it actually takes a picture. The ZR-10 does well here. With no flash there's no noticeable lag. With the flash on there's a slight delay but no big deal. A worse problem is that when I frame a shot I really like the way the image looks, and then the flash takes the nice warm picture and illuminates everything in a harsh white. I prefer taking pictures without the flash when I can get a way with it, but as usual flashless pictures tend to be grainy. Movies are pretty good, although I can't figure out why they are saved in .MOV format, not that it really matters. There is no RAW mode. The camera has a NON-STANDARD USB connection, a sore point with me, and possibly my biggest complaint. It does not appear to charge over USB. You have to take the battery out and place it in an external charging stand to charge. Overall, I'm happy with it but not ecstatic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Exilim ZR-10, July 17, 2011
Excellent little camera. I got over initial disappointment because a few large web sites (not on Casio's site) claimed it had raw mode. It does not, but it is so good in most other ways. Excellent panoramic function, screen is good and clear, excellent HD videos, and the 7x zoom with up to 14x enhancement really works.

The CMOS sensor is very sensitive and I hardly find the use for flash even in quite low light.

It takes a little while to learn and find out where the functions are, but that is probably an indication of how much is in it. The one problem I find is the location of the video button. I have accidentally pressed it a few times, but it is easy to delete these false videos.

Shots are crisp and clear and I can crop quite a bit before any noticeable deterioration of image.

Its form factor is light and easy to put in pocket to carry around. I have so far used it for over 1,000 shots around London and Munich for holiday photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars no charger cradle, August 2, 2011
I bought the EX-ZR10 to replace a Casio EX Z40. It takes better pictures, and captures faster. the only thing i miss is the charging cradle. My 4 mp model just slipped into the cradle, and the battery charged. the ZR10 makes you open the camera and remove the battery (not easy)., and then put the battery in the included charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, July 3, 2011
I bought this before a 4000 mile road trip to various National Parks. My deciding factors were that (a) Consumer Reports rated it very highly, (b) it has a slight wide angle at the low end of its focal range, and (c) it was reported to take very good stereo HD videos. Over the next 2 weeks we took 1400+ stills and videos and we LOVE the camera.

After I got the camera I looked into some of the other features. The HD Art is cute but not something we'll ever use routinely. The specialized features we use the most are the "HDR" mode and the Slide Panorama mode. When a photo subject has a very wide range of brightnesses, the HDR mode will take a series of pictures at different exposures and then combine them so that the dark areas are properly exposed as are the light areas. For wide subjects, the Slide Panorama mode lets you click the shutter and then pivot clockwise. The camera will take a series of pictures and then stitch together the central slice of the pictures to make a single continuous photo. This has been GREAT and in only a few pictures can I detect where the transition from slice to slice occurs. Even it those pictures its not so obvious that it's not a nice photo.

4.0 out of 5 stars very fast!, August 16, 2011
i bought this product specifically for the high frame rate and it did not dissapoint!
i can now take high speed movies on a tiny compact camera. 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars One drop, it gone., August 3, 2011
My son bought the camera for the high-speed video. He has taken many high-speed video but then one day he dropped it, now the camera is broken and the only thing you can do it view the video/pictures you took.I give it a 3 star because it was a great camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd Mini Casio, September 13, 2013
People cannot believe the incredible pics I take with this camera. I even use it to photograph my artwork for reproduction. Incredible detail, especially in macro mode. Buy the "Case Logic TCB-302 Ultra compact camera case with Storage" in many cool colors. I clip it on my jeans loop and go. It can hold license, CCard, & cash & chap stick. Perfect combo!