VINE VOICEon May 20, 2006
1999 - one of my other watches had a broken glass - so, I was looking for some watch, which I can use for 1 or 2 months before I can buy a fancy one. I was driving on I35 in Austin, drove into a walmart, saw a couple of watches and made a quick decision to buy this casio which then costed me about $14.

7 years have went by, I never bought another watch - I have received a few watches as gift during product promotions etc. But this is the best. It is on my wrist atleast 15 hours a day - office, sports (not swimming), special occasions ...

It is a fully functional, no-nonsense watch - Illuminator, alarm, large format display of time, day and date on the same screen.

My friends cautioned me against using the illuminator and the alarm - saying that it might reduce battery life. But, I have abused this watch more than anybody else could do, set daily alarms, use the illuminator maybe 4-5 times a month ... - I had to replace the watch strap once due to my misuse.

I have no plans of replacing this watch until the battery lasts. After the battery dies, planning to buy a new one - ofcourse it will be a casio (or maybe a citizen ecodrive).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2006
I've been wearing this watch for over a year now, and I've been quite satisfied. Here are all the disadvantages I could think of. I think this list would be longer for other watches -- I am just nitpicking.

1. Sometimes the button to switch between AM/PM and 24-hour time gets accidentally pressed, so I have to press it again to change it back.

2. The illumination button serves a double purpose as a reset button. I think having two separate buttons would be a little nicer.

3. The rubber ring into which the strap goes just broke, so I am buying a new one of these.

But I think this is watch is really up there in its class for a number of reasons:

1. I think it looks elegant, solid black with some blue, even though wearing a cheap digital watch is not very macho.

2. The backlight is great. It's not one of those crappy little green bulbs. It's an even, easy to see, cyan glow, and it doesn't even get washed out by the sun on a typical day. Very nicely done.

3. The display is very nice, as another reviewer mentioned. The digits are crisp, and a good size. The normal display shows the day of the week and day of the month -- very handy.

Overall, I am impressed. They got a lot of things right that most digital watches screw up. It's nice and well-designed, and very inexpensive.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2008
I purchased this watch as a replacement. It is a great, inexpensive, sports watch. The screen illumination is really bright and easy to read. I like that it is not as bulky as the current "in fashion" watches are.

I ended up returning it because it didn't have a feature which I use a lot, and thought all of the Casio digital watches had, which is a countdown timer. Except for that, I would have kept it. The original watch I had from Casio had is still available, but has a very dim light, so it is difficult to read. I ended up getting the W-93, which has a bright backlight, and countdown timer, but is a little more bulky.
on November 16, 2008
Great Watch! I have smaller wrists and this watch not only fits but looks great!! It's very light and ,working on bikes alot and being very active, it's nice to have such a cheap yet sturdy timepiece!
on March 13, 2009
I decided a few months ago that I needed an another wrist watch in addition to my Seiko. I didn't really want to spend much, I just needed something that was going to be simple, easy to read, included a few basic functions (stopwatch, alarm, light, 24hr time etc.), but most of all was CLASSIC!

Of course, I looked no further than an original design by Casio, and the F105W was watch to watch. A good sturdy design, made well from excellent materials, well sized, and is actually quite comfortable to wear. Basic and conservative design is accompanied by user-friendly functions. The beep on the watch is very audible and distinct, but still discreet enough to not stand out too much. The manual was also well written and took about 5 seconds to get all the info from it.

Being a fan of all things 80s, I had to get it, and the fact that it was so cheap made it a 100% sale. The light is the perfect colour for darkness, and provides total clarity when viewing under illumination. Also the interface is set out well, and all functions and displays are all in logical positions. A total hit with all my friends, and would suit any arm on any person.

In conclusion, I couldn't be happier. If you're looking for a simple yet classic watch, this is the one to use. You can check out other models higher up in the Casio range that have higher levels of water resistance and even stainless-steel construction, but if you just want a black digital wrist watch with no strings attached, grab an F105W Illuminator, and you'll be set!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2007
The Casio F105W-1AWCF Men's digital watch presents a lot of features like regular timekeeping, hour, minute, second, am/pm, day, 12/24-hour formats Accuracy - +- 30 seconds per month, battery that last 7 years
Electro-luminescent backlight, 1/100 seconds stopwatch Measuring mode - net time, split time, 1st-2nd place times and daily alarm

Pros:
Easy to set up all presented feactures
The electro-luminescent backlight (the blue light) much better than the dim green backlight.
Wrist band is antiallergic. Who has problems with metal or leather, this is the right answer.
The seven years battery is great feacture.
Price is really convenient for all these above feactures.

Conts: Lateral buttoms, sometimes changes the display when you move your wrist (flexion. The buttoms could be protected like the other Casio databank models.
The wristband does not last for long (about 6 to 12 months) depending on your use (like handling chemicals or washing your hands with detergents).
The original Casio-wristband available in the web is more expansive than the watch.
In overall it is a great watch from Casio if you are looking for confort, functionallity and simplicity in a watch.
on December 6, 2008
My G-Shock that I've had for years was beginning to show its age, and since I couldn't find a good wristband for it, I picked up one of these. I'm sure it can't take the beating of my G-Shock, but it's lighter, smaller, and doesn't get caught in sleeves or gloves. It has a nice, clear display and is easy to set- things I can't say about my G-Shock (mostly based on the stiff plastic buttons on the G). Well worth the price if you're looking for a no-frills, solid watch.
on March 19, 2015
Don't let the price fool you, this is an awesome watch. The face is durable, easy to read, offers only what you need, and lights well. I have worn the watch washing dishes, swimming, etc. with no issues. The band is comfortable and fits a wide range of wrist sizes (my wrist is 5.5").
review image
on February 18, 2012
This watch is a piece of junk. Bear with me while I quantify my MIXED EXPERIENCE with Casio watches.

I have been a fan of inexpensive Casio watches for many years, with the model "Casio Men's W71-1V Classic Digital Watch" being my favorite. I have probably owned 5 to 7 of these watches and used them every day and at times for scuba diving (to 160 ft with no problems). The only issue is/was that the bands would get brittle and break and there were no reasonable replacement bands that would fit. So I would just buy a new watch for around $12 to $14. The old watches still keep working for years ! I've velcroed them onto my motorcycles and other places! The bands would usually last about 2 years or less with more exposure to sunlight, hot tubs, and swimming pool chlorine or petrochemicals. When it looked like they were going to be hard to find, I bought a few at a time from Amazon and as the band broke, I would have a new watch that would run much longer than the band would last. This model also had many features that the watch under review doesn't have (for about the same price). It didn't have a fully backlit illumination, but the little corner illumination worked OK and it only required one finger. In the past, Amazon brought this watch back for their distribution (after they had discontinued it) because of popular demand eventhough the design was fairly old. People (and many of my friends) loved it! But now it is no longer available again (if it were, I would buy at least 3), so I tried the F105W-1A as a replacement. MISTAKE !!!

The F105W-1A has about 1/3 the features of the other watch (missing the countdown stopwatch, second time zone setting, year setting [manual reset for Feb in leap year???] etc). The electro-backlit illumination is nice but that is about it. About 50% of the time the watch has to be switched back to the preferred mode (24 hr, or 12 hr) because the button is constantly being pushed by wrist movement. The MAJOR problem is the band. The "buckle" side of the band is about an inch or more shorter than my previous Casios, so this watch would hardly fit my rather small wrist (big guy, small wrist). The buckle would sit on the side of my wrist rather than somewhat opposite the watch with about 1/2 inch of strap to engage with the buckle and "strap keeper". Also, where previous models had holes in the strap in the wide area near the watch which allowed the skin underneath to breathe, this watch has indentations for design, but no holes, so the skin underneath would get rather itchy and sweaty.

I am now looking for a reasonable replacement since I sent the F105W-1A back to Amazon.

AMAZON, PLEASE GET BACK THE "Casio Men's W71-1V Classic Digital Watch" or at least supply a similiar one in the same price range !!! It's frustrating when PROGRESS RUNS IN REVERSE !!!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2008
For as long as I can remember (10+ years), I've used this watch, and I plan on continuing to do so until it is discontinued. It's the perfect blend of simplicity and utility--it has all the necessary features (date, backlight illumination, alarm, stopwatch) and none of the useless ones. I've never had any problems related to the battery dying or the watch not working, despite banging it every so often. I do have three minor complaints, however, which is why the the watch gets only 4 stars. First, the watch band tends to break after ~2 years, so you need to buy a $10 replacement at a local jeweler. Second, after ~3-4 years, the place where the band meets the watch head breaks, and you need to replace the entire watch. Finally, the watch tends to gain time (~1-2 minutes a year, in my experience).

Still, the quality for this price can't be beat. If you want a simple but elegant and effective digital watch, this is the one to get.