5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch ever made, with one reservation.
Published on April 1, 2006 by Mark Kinsler

3.0 out of 5 stars Men's watch review
It's OK for $10, but too small for a Men's watch. I wouldn't recommend for someone with less than good vision.
Published 13 months ago by IvanX

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch ever made, with one reservation., April 1, 2006
The one reservation is that the plastic and the strap fall apart after a while. So splendid is the watch, however, that I'm forever tempted to preserve the thing somehow, perhaps by encapsulation or making a nice metal bezel to hold a good strap onto it. My experience is that one watch is good for two strap replacements, though it's a bit of an exercise to get the pins out.

The major advantages: It shows the day of the week, the date, the hours, minutes, and seconds. And that is _all_ it shows. No alarms to surprise you, and no stopwatches. There is no joy like that of finding out that instead of local time, the '1:33' you see displayed on your watch's dial means that you accidentally started the stopwatch an hour and 33 minutes before.

The only 'accessory' is that you can set the thing to read on 24-hour time, which is necessary in some applications. The watch is very light, very cheap, very accurate, and I believe the battery lasts approximately forever. There's no back-light, but that's why the battery lasts a long time.

The only other difficulty is availability: Wal-mart--and, obviously, Amazon.com--sell 'em, but at about ten bucks each, they're not high-profit items.

Another bit of folklore. Someone--not me--has or had non-commercial website devoted to this watch.

M Kinsler

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditto........, December 4, 2007
Parkit (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
As 2 other reviewers stated, this watch is just about bullet-proof except for the band, which loves to break between 1 1/2- 2 years. And I also agree that it's not worth changing the band more than once, the pins and the pin holes are too worn out after that. I've very often found myself wearing the only watch that still worked after unbelieveable conditions, including extreme humidity, high heat, shock, below-freezing temps and extreme abuse. The watch laughs off jet fuel, oils, cleaning fluids and anything else I've ever subjected it to. I buy them two at a time just to be sure I have one when my strap breaks, I'm addicted to wearing this thing because it just keeps on going. I'd pay more for it, but I'm glad I don't have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mature technology, March 23, 2008
Lightning (Katy, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This watch is just about perfect. Keeps good time, is easy to set and easy to read, runs for years on the original battery, costs almost nothing. No complicated functions most people never use. Too bad the strap breaks after a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Watch To Live By, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
I can't remember the specific date when I received my first F28 Casio - but i do remember how. It was a christmas in my early childhood, and being from a relatively poor household, gifts were typically modest. Well, rather than giving me some socks or a few dollars to spend on candy like I would normally get, my family pooled some money together and bought this for me. I had owned some toy watches before, but this was the real deal, and I couldn't have been more delighted. I used it for well over six years, and through that time it took so much punishment that I am sometimes in awe of how much this little guy can withstand.

Well, after the sixth year I took it to the repair shop and with a heavy heart the repairman said it wouldn't be worth fixing anymore. I was distraught, but still kept it as a token of some fond memories anyway. Since then I have caved in to social pressures and bought fancy, overpriced things that were very showy and difficult to use. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I stumbled on my friend here, tucked away in a small moving box, and nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't realize how much you could actually miss a watch, or maybe I just missed the old days where things were just a whole lot simpler. I was absolutely thrilled to find that they were selling this watch on Amazon, and even moreso after receiving it. It's everything I remembered it to be, there's no confusing bells or whistles - just an honest watch that tells you the day, the date, and the time. No lights, no flashy gimmicks or stop-watches, or god knows what else they put in there these days, just good old-fashioned sturdy craftsmanship.

Sometimes the simple things really are the best things in life. Thank you Casio!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Digital Watch, June 18, 2012
E. Gregoriou (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
I first saw the Casio F-28W a long time ago, in a Casio watch display case. I remember seeing the $10 price tag, and was impressed that a high-quality electronics giant such as Casio actually had an incredibly cheap watch. I bought it, expecting it to last about 1/2 - 1 year. Boy was I wrong. A decade, 1 battery and 1 band later, It looks brand new. It's a superb cheap watch, that's perfect if you only need a new watch every few years or so, as you can keep rebuying it. A replacement band costs under $10, and a battery under $3, so you'll have no problem with keeping this watch for a very long time. Oddly enough, it looks a little different than all the other cheap Casios, with a unique band design and caseback. It's so light and comfortable that I always forget that i'm wearing it. It gives you all your basic time measurements: Month, day #, day of the week, AM/PM/24 HR., hour, minute, and second. That's really all you need out of a basic watch, and Casio delivers.

PROS:
Very comfortable
Very light
Easy to replace the battery
Easy to replace the band
Very sharp and legible LCD display
Water-resistant (Rain, washing your hands)
24/12 Hour time
Easy to set
Day of the week, as well as numerical date
Casio quartz reliability and accuracy

CONS:
Band may need to be replaced if under heavy abuse
Band may not accomodate larger wrists

Overall, the F-28W is the best watch I've ever seen for under $12, and you can't go wrong with a Casio this cheap. If you only require Basic time measurements at the lowest cost possible, this is the most reliable timepiece you can ever get.

UPDATE 6/22/12:
I'm happy to report that this watch performs exceptionally for just being "Water Resistant". I completely forgot which watch I was wearing today, and swam for about 4 hours. After I swam I took a shower and it was then I realized that I was wearing the F28W-1. I was pleasantly surprised that the watch held up very well and absolutely no water has penetrated into the timepiece. Just another example of value for money from the Casio F28W.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST DAMM WATCH FOR THE MONEY!!!!, November 9, 2008
jerry (new jersey usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
IVE BEEN WEARING THIS TYPE OF WATCH FOR ABOUT 10 YRS NOW.FOR MY TYPE OF WORK IT IS PERFECT.I DO CONSTRUCTION WORK AND SOMETIMES MY HANDS WIND UP IN TIGHT SITUATIONS.THIS IS A LOW PROFILE WATCH WITH THE BASIC NECCESSITIES ON IT.I USUALLY WIND UP BREAKING THE BAND LONG BEFORE THE BATTERY EVER WEARS OUT ON IT.IVE HAD GREASE,CONCRETE,MUD,GASOLINE,YOU NAME IT,IVE HAD IT ON IT.IT STILL KEEPS WORKING.FOR THE MONEY.I CANT FIND ONE BETTER.MY LAST ONE MY BROTHERS DOG GOT HOLD OF IT AND CHEWED THE BAND OFF IT,I JUST ORDERED 3 ONLINE.( I LIKE TO HAVE SPARES).GREAT WATCH!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent and useful, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
I'm convinced that this watch has something of a cult following. The battery lasts forever and the dial shows time, day of the week, and date, all without pushing any buttons. It's indifferent to rough treatment and is, in the strictest sense, a working man's watch. There is no chronograph with which to time yacht races, no alarms to go off when you don't want them to, and absolutely nothing that has to do with skin diving, which is a blessing right there. The only difficulty is that with time the band deteriorates: if I ever find the opportunity and gain the skill, I shall figure out how to make a copper/leather/somethingelse band for this timepiece, and it'll last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars complexity comes for free, simplicity one has to work for, July 29, 2010
Bibigon (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
This is the perfect watch:

1. All information (time,date, day of week) fits on one screen; no need to push any buttons;

2. There are two buttons for setup, but they are flush, so they do not tear and wear the cuffs;

3. Very light;

4. Battery lasts several years;

5. Some of the commenters claims that to change the battery the watch needs to be taken to a repair shop. Nonsense, anyone who can handle a sharp screw driver or a knife can easily open the cover and replace the battery.

6. Allows both 12 and 24hour display;

Over the span of 10 years, this is my second F-28W (I lost the previous one). Love it! If this one is lost, I will do my best to find and buy another F-28W. I hope Casio keeps making these!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just tells the time - Brilliant!, May 5, 2009
Arthur Kimes (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch (Watch)
I've had many watches over the last 45 or so years. Some much more expensive that this. But this is my favorite.

It Just Works.

No extra buttons to get in the way. No surprises. Battery life on this one is 10 years and counting. Lightweight. Comfortable. All the info you need is on the screen - you don't have to press a button to see anything else. Display is VERY legible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch -ONE MORE THING NOT MENTIONED, May 2, 2008
I've gone through 3 of these watches over the past 6 years. And yes the band breaks before the watch, but thats OK with me. The reason I found this watch was obvious to me and my profession. I work on machines, and I am always shoving my arm into a tight area to turn wrenches or whatever, no different then an auto mechanic. This watch has NO PROTRUDING BUTTONS! Thats how I first came across this watch at the store. All other watches that I liked had buttons 2 to 4 sticking out all around the watch, just waiting to be broken off. I've done everthing possible to this watch and it keeps working. i.e. CHEMICALS,OIL,WATER,HEAT you name it. CASIO ...PLEASE KEEP THIS WATCH AROUND.

Casio Men's F28W-1 Classic Digital Watch