5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite G-Shock

3.0 out of 5 stars Negative opinion of negative display
Published 3 months ago by J. Holman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite G-Shock, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Casio G-SHOCK MASTER OF G RANGEMAN Triple Sensor Ver.3 Multiband 6 Solar - Tactical Men's Watch GW-9400BJ-1JF (Japan Import) (Watch)
This is an absolutely gorgeous watch. Extremely solid workmanship, with all the features to satisfy most. The seller was kind enough to send an electronic English version instruction manual(original in Japanese) that I am just beginning to utilize. Buttons are the easiest of any watch I have seen to date(I own multiple G shocks, Luminox, and Oakley watches). The solar recharge feature and atomic sync are superb features. Not much this watch cannot do...oh and it's as at home in camouflage as it is with a suit and tie. Arrived in excellent condition. I AM EXTREMELY SATISFIED WITH THIS PURCHASE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, January 14, 2014
I would like to start out by saying this is the first and only G-Shock watch that I own. I recently began looking for a new watch and stumbled upon this model of watch and fell in love with the style.

First off keep in mind that when you purchase this watch it will be imported from Japan, this means you have to add a couple weeks to the delivery time for customs to do their thing.

The watch is not as big as I anticipated on my 7.5 inch wrist. The import version of this watch comes with a carbon fiber band with a metal strap keeper. When positioned correct on the strap, the strap keeper stays in place. The features of this watch are very in depth, and going through the manual will take a bit of time. One big help for me was the gentleman who has a full users guide and video review on YouTube by the username fwupow. (Just search YouTube for GW-9400 and he will pop up as the first couple results.) That saved me a ton of time and possible confusion. The complication of this watch may turn some people off. The negative display is at times hard to read, but the back light works extremely well. I prefer the "blacked out" style of this watch, the lettering on the bezel is all black except for G-Shock and the arrow pointing to the sensor button, in real life it is more of a gray color and not as white as it appears in the picture. The four screws on the face and the illumination button are also "blacked out".

In all honesty this watch is packed with more features than I will ever need. It is constructed well and looks awesome. It is a little big but not very heavy when compared to a watch made with metal. The complicated features are easy to manage once learned. The negative display may be hard to read at times but the look of the watch completely makes up for that. Overall I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

As I understand this negative display black version of the watch is not going to be available for purchase in the USA, so if this is the style you like then you should pick it up now, as the price has already gone up as of my purchase. In the future this could change and if so I will edit my review accordingly.

I will also be making frequent periodic updates to my review as time passes to account for any issues I may have with durability or features, and checking to answer any questions that may arise.

Update (1-19-14): Over the last week the weather has been extremely varied. From clear, warmer skies one day to windy, snowing, and cold. Over these days I had a chance to put the barometer to the test. In my opinion it is extremely accurate and someone with more intimate knowledge of how to predict the weather with a barometer would be able to put it to better use than I have. However, with my limited knowledge, I was able to accurately predict the changes in the weather, which is pretty cool in my opinion.

Update (2-8-2014): After breaking the watch in I have noticed the metal strap keeper that keeps the excess strap from flapping in the breeze tends to fall out of its preferred position sometimes. To fix this I put a small square of masking tape on the underside of the strap keeper. You cant see that its there and it gives the strap a rough surface to hang on to. Since making my modification I have not had any issues with the strap keeper falling out of place. All things considered I am extremely satisfied with this watch and have no complaints as of yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, July 15, 2014
Little larger than last sports watch (Pathfinder) and for the dress watch folks out there, it is a little larger than the Omega James Bond watch, but about half the weight obviously. I am small framed male with about an 8" wrist and it fits fine. If one has ever owned a Gshock or Pathfinder they will have no trouble setting the time, other functions might be different from watches without the sensors, but very similar to the Pathfinder.

Only thing I wish Casio would correct is: Since this is a Tactical watch, they should black-out or grey-out everything so that there is nothing 'shiny'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful seller- best ever !!, February 2, 2014
This watch is a 100% genuine article for half the cost of purchasing in Australia. Come from japan to Australia in 4 days !!!!!!!! Wrapped well. Outstanding customer support. Extremely impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars versatle and good looking, June 2, 2014
The rangeman is one of the newer models of the sensor variety and you will like its functions and versatility. The negative display will grow on you and it is plenty readable in most lighting situations. It has a back light so it is usable in any light for the most part. It is a little shinier than many Casio's but on the same note it is blacked out on the top. The screws and button on top are black so it balances out that way. It is light weight on the wrist and the band keeper stays put well which can a little bothersome on some watches. It is tough and useful and the compass and barometer and altitude work well enough for almost any scenario. I have four triple sensors and the compasses' work well and these new gen sensors seem to be more accurate. These are not weather stations but they do provide a good general picture of coming weather changes well before the tv weather man gives them to you. If I were lost somewhere I would love having one of these with me. This watch is a good choice for those guys who like gadgets that do something useful in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, April 24, 2014
I have a G-shock CW-9300 Sky Force which I bought in 1995 and still works and has proven in many extreme last situation, but with normal battery, so we decided to buy Casio G-SHOCK G MASTER OF RANGEMAN with solar and battery more extras. Everything was delivered for 14 days in Japan complete as described by the seller.
I am very pleased with your purchase and highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, June 6, 2014
This is an awesome watch does everything I expected it to. The only thing I would change is the side buttons and screws, subdue them just like the top light button. I bought this watch for that purpose, the one in the stores, all the buttons are shinny! The outer protective cover needs to be changed so that if it gets scratched it doesn't show white where the scratch is. My old Casio has been thru the ringer and is still black. Other than those small tweaks this watch is what I expect from a G Shock.

3.0 out of 5 stars Negative opinion of negative display, November 16, 2014
This watch has a heck of a lot going for it, but the negative display was a deal killer for me. I purchased it aware of the number of negative reviews about the negative display. But the vast majority of the reviews were positive, so I figured I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, I just found it too difficult to read in most lighting situations. Yeah, I could rotate my arm and cock my head until the display was perfectly clear, but why should I have to do that dozens of times a day? Seeing the information on your watch should be pretty effortless. So, unless you need to be stealthy like a ninja, or you value the cool factor of a negative display more than ease of use, I'd recommend sticking with the standard positive LCD display.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME G-SHOCK, April 10, 2014
I ordered this watch knowing it was a Japan import and it was going to take a while to get it. But to my surprise it arrived in just 3 days!! WOW only 3 days, some products within the USA take about a week to arrive and this one arrived in 3 days.
Now the watch: Ii is the best Casio watch I have ever owned!! It fits so comfortably in my wrist I can barely feel I'm wearing it. The instructions come in Japanese but after playing a bit with it I was able to figure it how to program it. It looks and feels great and love the negative display.
Would recommend to anyone 100%

4.0 out of 5 stars All black version is awesome!, June 26, 2014
Super fast delivery, from japan to Australia only took 3 days!!! All credit to the seller.
This Japanese all black version looks great and even my wife who's not a big fan of G-shock likes it. This is literally my first ever G-shock and I hope it can live up to its reputation.
I reckon the negative display is not for everybody and it definitely takes some getting used to, particularly if you're in a low light condition you have to light up the display to accurately read the time and other information, there's just no other way around. I guess this is the trade-off between this and the standard version, which is really depending on what you're after: the unique orange contrasting black-out style, or the more readable positive dial in a traditional way. I have to admit I am not completely buying into this display at the moment albeit I really love the overall appearance of this watch.
I would give it a five star if it can withstand the test of time^^
And also credit to myself for the courage of buying the very first G-shock over the internet without trying it on. It is a great buy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›