5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall G-Shock watch for performance and value
I spent some time researching every G-Shock offered by Casio and narrowed it down to the AW590-1A for several reasons.

-> I prefer traditional battery over Tough Solar. I have read numerous negative reviews about the rechargable batteries giving out anywhere from 1-5 years and in the end are very difficult to replace.

-> This watch uses a larger...
Published on January 23, 2008 by S. Shin

3.0 out of 5 stars alarm function a joke
Published on November 1, 2009 by fairgolfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall G-Shock watch for performance and value, January 23, 2008

-> This watch uses a larger CR1220 battery which Casio estimates will last about 3 years and is easily replaceable.

-> The AW590-1A uses round metal buttons, and not the cheaper rectangular plastic ones on some other G-Shocks, which can get "squeaky" and wear out.

Now on to the watch itself. You need to set the analog time separate from the digital, however they do sync up perfectly once both are set. The analog minute hand moves every 20 seconds and seems very refined.

The top led bar simply ticks off every 10 seconds while the left circle shows numeric seconds. The bottom circle shows whether certain functions are activated, like DST, alarm, snooze, hourly signal and split time in the stop watch function. The left circle does the most: in normal time mode it can be toggled to show month/date, day of the week or digital time. It has a nice resolution and also serves as the stopwatch and countdown timer.

World time is cool as only the left circle changes to show you the digital time in another time zone, while the analog stays in your home zone, allowing you to compare times instantly.

The watch has a whopping five separate alarms, one of which has a snooze function. I don't find the need to have that many alarms but some may find it useful. Countdown and stopwatch are nothing special, pretty much what you expect.

There is also an Auto LED feature which I find an unnecessary battery drainer. Once enabled, a quick upward motion of the wrist automatically causes the light to come on. I found that you can quite often set the light off unintentionally. Luckily you can disable this feature.

The physical dimensions of the watch are a good combination of form and function. The mineral crystal face is recessed nicely and protected well but still offers a clear view with a quick glance.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend this watch to anyone who genuinely appreciates Casio's G-Shock line watches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all around watch, January 2, 2009
I'm a big fan of Casio's analog-digital watches. I prefer the look of an analog but need the functionality of a digital for running in the 5 a.m. dark. I own another Casio analog-digital watch, the Casio Men's Ana-Digi Electro-Luminescent Sport Watch #AQ160W-1BV, which is not a G-Shock, and the only issue I've ever had with it is the ease with which the crystal seems to scratch. So it would seem only natural I would replace it with a G-Shock: same basic functionality but a little beefier with better crystal protection.

As an everyday watch the AW590-1A is wonderful. It's lightweight, not terribly huge (and I have smallish wrists), and the chronograph functions are super easy to read. I found the setup to be fairly easy, though it was identical to the other ana-digi. My only complaint is that I cannot use it for running at night. I thought that the light would be similar to the AQ160's (the digital numbers light up against a dark screen--a reverse Indiglo), however the light is a small yellow LED right under the "Mode" button between the 7 and 8 markers. The hands themselves are luminescent, which is good because I can barely read them with the light, and forget the digital readouts.

That said, the aesthetics and features of this watch are so nice that unless I'm running in the dark this barely leaves my wrist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value G-Shock, February 9, 2011
I've owned a G-shock watch since 1998, and it was time for another. This watch is a perfect replacement! It has all the features that I need, and it looks good when you're out running or just at work. The only thing it doesn't have is the Indiglo feature, but aside from that, it's perfect. Kudos to the seller, too, for getting the watch to me 2 days ahead of schedule.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY PLEASED!, December 22, 2010
I've had several G-Shocks and this is easily my favorite. Nice functions, easy to read even in the dark, and of course looks great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Casia G-Shock Ana-Digi watch - pretty nice, June 22, 2009
Captain Steve (Fort Lauderdale) - See all my reviews
I've owned lots of Casio watches but this is my first analog version. It is certainly the most attractive one I've owned. It is a little harder, less intuitive, to set the first time, but not too bad once it's set. I have some doubts about the longevity of the rubber case as the part overlooking the bezel looks delicate and likely to catch on something and rip off. I will give it a good test next week!

2012 -- I've been using this watch for my offshore sailing trips for three years now and the rubber case is still fine. I still like this watch and would buy it again with no reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!!!, June 28, 2008
This watch is replacing my Swiss Army that I had for a few years and so far it is stellar. A lot of features for the money and with the price being so reasonable I'll probably purchased another one or two in different colors. I had a little trouble setting it up (not as intuitive as I think it should be), but when I called tech support they were great. If you're looking for a reasonable, reliable, stylish watch with loads of features, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Gift, March 20, 2009
Forrest Laxton (ROUND ROCK, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my husband and he is more than
happy with it. He enjoys the light weight and it will
be used when we scuba dive in Mexico. Of course the
red bezel is a plus, hes big on that color.
Another great watch from Casio and we received in great
time.
Victoria

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, if quirky, September 15, 2009
T. Anschutz (Stoughton, WI, USA) - See all my reviews
I picked this up to have a sturdy and reliable time piece I could use while exercising, working around the house or in the yard, or any other situation where I could use a sturdy wrist watch. The watch is very sturdy, and has a lot of nice features. It does not have a sweep second hand, instead relying on some of the LCD windows on the screen to tick off seconds. Setting the analog time is a bit cumbersome, but the rest of the watch's features are easily accessed and adjustable in much the same manner of nearly every other Casio watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars alarm function a joke, November 1, 2009
The face is a little "busy" but I expected that with the G-Shock. What is most disappointing is the alarm function - it certainly can't be counted on to wake you up in the morning - it is very quiet. After I received the watch I called Casio customer service and inquired as to why this alarm is so much more quiet than two of my older casio watches. I was told it must be a battery problem because casio has not reduced the volume. So I returned the watch to Amazon and received a replacement - same near silent alarm on this one as well.
Do not recommend this watch if the alarm function is important to you. Otherwise, watch is ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I hhave ever owned, January 31, 2009
Murader44 (Dayton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch while I was in basic training as the previous watch I owned (a cheap olive drab Timex) had been utterly destroyed. This watch saw me through the mud, grit, grime, and seemingly infinite punishment of 12 weeks at basic.

That was almost 8 months ago. I have a desk job now and it looks good enough for day to day wear. I wear it to the gym, hunting and shooting and I'm not exaggerating when I say it still looks and functions like it did when I got it. If it ever does go, I will surely get another model just like it.

Casio G-Shock Ana-Digi Watch