5.0 out of 5 stars Was issued this watch before leaving for Iraq...
Everybody in the battalion was issued this watch before we shipped out for Iraq back in 2005, five years ago today actually, and the battery finally just died last night, WOW!...This thing lasted through an entire tour in Iraq, it made it through all the blood, sweat and tears and it just kept going. GREAT WATCH!
Published on January 30, 2010 by armybeef68

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch - but it died on me...
So I purchased this G-shock model back in August of 2008. I had been wearing the exact same model for over 10 years. Not having any major problems, other than needing to change the battery 3 times over this period (and with it coming closer to needing a battery change), I opted to just buy a new one.

As seen from reading other reviews here, it seems like this...
Published on January 18, 2009 by Ndolger

5.0 out of 5 stars Was issued this watch before leaving for Iraq..., January 30, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Durable, December 1, 2007
I just had to buy this for my husband to replace the one he got four years ago when he first joined the Army. The first one survived a tour and a half in Iraq, not to mention everyday abuse. He loves it and made sure that I got the exact same one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Addict Approved, May 20, 2010
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I am a watch addict/collector. I have written a couple of reviews on Timex watches that I own here on Amazon and revealed that I own gobs of watches. I have at one point or currently own Tag Heuer, Gucci, Skagen, Swatch, Swiss Army, Nike, Tudor, 2 Ironman Timex and 2 Expedition Timex's. What I didn't have, was a Casio G-Shock.

PROS:
- Great rugged look
- Good set of time functions
- Easy to read display
- Comfortable band
- Rated for recreational scuba diving
- Fantastic value
- 2 Year Battery

CONS:
- None, seriously.

I have probably lusted over G-Shock watches for over 2 decades when I first saw one that a relative owned. However, I have very small wrists and always feared it would be too large for me. When I saw the DW9052-1V classic model at Amazon's offered price, I figured I didn't have much to lose.

When I received it, I strapped it on and knew immediately that I had made a great decision. Not only does it look fantastic, with it's rugged good looks, but it is amazingly comfortable. It doesn't look overly big on my wrist and the soft resin band just feels good. The band is fairly thin and forms around my wrist well. I have other watches with resin or rubber straps that are not nearly as comfortable.

The display is easy to read, but might be a tad small for those with poor eyesight. The green illumination is a neat change from all the Indiglo watches I own and makes reading the watch at night a breeze. The DW9052-1V has a good set of time functions, most of which I probably will never use. It is water resistant to 200m, which is twice as deep as any of my Timex watches. It's even rated for recreational scuba diving.

Is there a better watch for under $40? I can't think of any. I was torn between this one and the Casio G-Shock Mudman but honestly, I like the way the Classic version looks better and it's a far better deal. The CR2016 battery is rated for 2 years, though who knows how long ago the battery was inserted initially. You can get a PDF manual for the watch by searching Casio's support site for "Module" 1659 but it is really simple to set. I really love my G-Shock and foresee adding more to my collection in the near future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, but. . ., October 31, 2007
D. Eaton (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I'm a building contractor who's been wearing G-shocks since 1986. I've probably gone through five of them. With the earlier models I was always having to replace the watch band because I brutalized them so badly on the jobsite. The most recent one I bought was the DW9052. Good watch and the band lasted very well, but the battery is starting to go so I've ordered a new Gulfman. The problem with the DW9052 watch is that the battery is only rated for two years. Granted, I got nearly four years out of it, but I'm buying the Gulfman this time because it has a battery that is rated for seven years. Of course, it costs twice as much, which proves you get what you pay for. (Never pay to have a battery replaced in a G-shock, since they can't guarantee it will remain waterproof after they open the watchcase.)

G-shocks in general are the sturdiest watches ever built. I've beaten the hell out of mine for over 20 years. To borrow a phrase from another manufacturer, "they take a lickin and keep on tickin."

One more thing: if a G-shock is your every day watch and you own a dress watch as well, be careful when you wear the dress watch. They aren't as forgiving as G-shocks. You forget you are wearing them and end up going body surfing or something. It's happened twice to me while on vacation. I destroyed a Universal Geneve that my wife bought me in Singapore and nearly ruined a Tissot. My wife was not amused.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch - but it died on me..., January 18, 2009

As seen from reading other reviews here, it seems like this watch is hit-or-miss. It can be very, very durable or just die on you. I was doing laundry today, and it looks like the static electricity from handling the clothes out of the drier has just went and killed it! I was absolutely shocked, seeing as how it's called a G-SHOCK and all; and not having any problems with my old watch. I wear this all day every day, and to be done in by LAUNDRY is just sad.

I have contacted Casio to try and get a replacement (it says it's under limited warranty, but I can't find any details), but from reading other's comments I don't have the best feeling...

Obviously, since I've been wearing this for almost half my life, I have been generally pleased with it. And I've gone back to my original one for the time being. I may end up just buying a third...because I do really like this watch.

General warnings/tips:
-Try not to use the backlight - ever; it'll absolutely destroy your battery life. When I first got mine I used it all the time, and in a few months it was dead. The next time I got my battery changed - I didn't use it at all and it lasted for about 3 years.
-I didn't realize that if you get the battery changed, the waterseal is gone. Found out the hard way while swimming at a public pool.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIFT, December 3, 2007
I purchased this Casio G-Shock for my husband's birthday and he loved it. It is such a good quality for a great price. He especially liked the lighted face for viewing in the dark. I would recommend this to anyone that wants a sturdy watch at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch i ever owned, February 8, 2012
This is my everyday watch and all i have to say is i love it. it lights up, has a stop watch, an alarm clock and its durable enough not to break when i play sports with it on or work out plus my favorite color red is in it. Its a great watch and got here on time so theres no reason not to buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband LOOOOVES this!!!, January 12, 2010
When my husband was leaving for bootcamp we bought him this watch. He needed something rugged, that could take a beating, and still keep ticking. Well, that is exactly what we got. He went through Basic and is now in OCS and this watch is still going. As a matter of fact, it still looks new and everything still works. We will be buying another, without a doubt, if this one ever fails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, nice looking watch so far., February 17, 2008
I was more than a little concerned with all the negative reviews, but decided to go ahead and take a chance. Amazon customer service is pretty good, the watch has a 1 year warranty, and by paying with American Express, Amex adds another year to the warranty. So I figure I'm covered if any issues from the negative reviews happen upon me.

I'm not a big guy and was concerned that the watch might look like a hockey puck on my wrist. My wrist measures about 7" in circumference. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the watch looks on my wrist. So pleased that I ordered a second watch for my son.

07/08/09 - Still going strong after almost 1-1/2 year.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can count on Amazon, January 7, 2012
I ordered this watch for my 8th old son. Although, it's an adult watch it looks great on him and he loves it. He is very rough with his things but this is much tougher then him. He is on a swim team so this watch also spends a lot of time in water. Extremely durable and well worth the money for what you get.

G-Shock Men's DW9052-1V