5.0 out of 5 stars Superior watch, but not for everybody
This is an excellent watch, and I could not be happier with it. The G-shock series is used extensively by the military, special forces and police, and it's easy to see why. This watch is extremely well built and durable, and it uses only high quality materials (that goes for the band as well.) It's also very light and comfortable.

The styling of the watch is...
Published 23 months ago by soccer747

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good - Some Complaints
Published on January 30, 2008 by Chris LaVesser

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good - Some Complaints, January 30, 2008
Pros: This watch is quite accurate. I've never had to make any adjustments to it and have been wearing it for nearly two years. Still on the first battery. This watch is also incredibly rugged. I am an active, active outdoor adventurer and have ABUSED this watch. It's never once asked me to ease up on it; it just keeps telling me the time. This includes a couple SCUBA dives.

Cons: The light only lights the small digital display at the bottom of the watch. If, like me, you keep the digital display on the date mode, the night light won't help you much. I don't believe this watch has ever leaked, but if the temperature is cool, this watch fogs up. And finally, if the time is between 25 past the hour and 35 past the hour, don't even think about being able to read the digital display at the bottom; the minute hand WILL obscure your view.

Overall this is a great, rugged watch for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior watch, but not for everybody, September 24, 2012

The styling of the watch is not for everyone, however. This watch has a very tough, prepared-for-anything kind of look that I love, without being over the top. It is slightly thicker than other digital watches, owing to its armor-like exterior, but this is very subtle. Also, this watch does not have an overly large dial, as has become popular in watch styling lately. But I take issue with the many reviews that have described this watch as "small." These are clearly customers who were looking for the aforementioned large dial styling. I am 6'3'' with large wrists and hands, and I don't think the watch is undersized for me at all (nor does anyone else). At the end of the day, it's a very standard watch size.

I have noticed that many reviewers are unhappy with the way in which you adjust the analog hands, which surprises me given how little time it takes. I had to adjust mine 11 hours right out of the box, and it took about a minute. I suppose if devoting a minute to setting your watch time is a major issue for you then you should look elsewhere, but if you're like me you won't even think twice about it.

Finally, some reviewers have complained that the watch is useless at night unless you set the digital screen to report the time rather than the date. But this ignores the fact that there is a button on the side that cycles through the watch's various modes. One can easily use the digital screen to report the date and, when it grows dark, simply press this button. Then just hit the light button and you're in business. Easy as that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Functional Value...Nicely Styled, May 22, 2006
dennis wentraub (schenectady, new york USA) - See all my reviews
What's not to like about a seventy dollar waterproof, shockproof multi-function watch that also looks good. It's a seriously rugged-looking watch but very light weight. An inset digital screen is controlled by a mode button that advances through the date, digital time, alarm time, stopwatch, and second time zone functions. The screen can be backlit in a cool (really) blue light for night viewing. The rectangular screen is a bit small and not easily read with these baby boomer eyes in certain offlit situations. It is also difficult to read the screen when the analog minute hand sweeps across the screen through the 4 to 8 hour period. I'd pay another ten bucks to see this screen replicated on the top of the watch face (between 10 and 2 o'clock)to avoid this. No big deal. Hey, it's only seventy bucks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, August 23, 2013
I am in the military and wear this watch every day in harsh conditions and its dosent even show a scratch. It is fully functional and i am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, practical super tough, plain and young looking, January 16, 2013
i own very expensive watches, which i cannot use cause they are either too shiny, too heavy or i have to baby around. this is my second casio. the other one finally broke after wearing it 24-7. reason why i prefer this watch over any (cheaper or more expensive) is 1) i dont have to baby it around, yes. i work, shower, exercise, teach and go to school with it. 2) its very plain. i dont need 3 gauges and so much crap and clutter expensive watches have. just DATE, LIGHT N TIME. 3) its formal looking enough for me to teach, and casual enough for sports, therefore i dont have to own but one for all my busy life. 4) its not old fashioned looking. yes i cannot wear an old looking watch. this looks young enough but formal enough.
in conclusion, it was hard to find the perfect watch for me as i dont like clutter in the dial, i need a light every day and i love plain but tough looking watches.
this is the perfect watch for an active, sports and executive person. the price cant be beat. but I MUST SAY i would pay twice as much.
love my casio, its like a faithful dog, just feed it...! it will go everywhere with you...! soo cool it dont have a seconds hand, which i dont need...!

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjusting analog time -- not user friendly, December 17, 2005
Tool Nut 102 (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Very nice watch in terms of appearance, accuracy, and reliability. The analog hands feature is great, in that it combines the accuracy of a digital movement with a display that can easily be read without glasses (great for us increasingly-senior citizens). BUT -- adjusting the time display (analog hands) is a major pain, at daylight savings time. The hands can ONLY be advanced in the forward direction. So plan on spending a good while slowly rotating the movement through a full 12 hours when you need to adjust the hands only ONE hour back. The upside is that the movement is accurate enough that you should not need to adjust the hands, other than at DST changeovers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, September 18, 2013
The analog portion of the watch does not keep time! The digital portion works but I bought an analog watch for a reason.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it had a timer, July 23, 2013
I needed a watch for the gym/ general use. I recently purchased this watch a couple days ago. The delivery was timely. This watch has rugged, yet clean aesthetics. With respect to the looks, I hate the dumb second circle which is on virtually every other g shock watch. It really detracts from the G shock series in my opinion.
This model looks good. I would never say it looks cheap.

Complaints:
1. Yes, the digital part could have a slightly better contrast. It can be hard to read the digital readout during the evenings or under low light. This is solved by the EL backlight, which in my opinion is very clear.
2. Adjusting the analogue time has been a complain, but it's not a big deal. I did a timed test with the stopwatch feature to see how long it would take me to do a complete rotation. I fumbled around pressing the very recessed button and it took me 4min. This is not a big deal considering the number of times one actually adjusts the time on a watch (which would be a real problem). The recessed button makes it difficult to accidentally change the time. A good feature according to me.
On yes, let's not forget the hands blocking the digital portion. It depends when one is using the stopwatch and how important it really is at that particular moment to be running the stopwatch. This is where the ugly g shock watches (most) score.

Size: I have smaller wrists and this fits me very well. A friend of mine who has a thicker wrist also owned the same model (before it was stolen, not destroyed, if that's what you're thinking) and he had no problems wearing it.

This watch realistically has two time zones (2 digital 1analogue). The analogue cannot be considered a 3rd because the date will change according to the digital readout. There is no date on the other "dual time"

I really wish this watch had a timer (3 stars sorry) . Of course, it wouldn't hurt if this watch used a 10 yr. battery ;) (4stars).

Instructions are easy to follow and the manual is well laid out.
Casio really does a good job trying to incorporate some slick technology into their watches. There is a reason this watch rated as #4 on amazon's top seller. The mineral glass is great because I can throw it in my bookbag without worrying about scratching the face. I wouldn't have taken the time to write if I thought it was junk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but a bit small..., May 24, 2012
I purchased the watch and it came very quick. Nice looking but a bit on the smallish side for a g-shock. When they say diameter is 46mm, please keep in mind it is the the diameter of the whole watch - not just the dial(face) of the watch which is what I am used to. Had to send back and get a larger one to suit my taste, with a 52mm diameter.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont let the plastic fool you-this is the good stuff., May 8, 2011
cactus (don't worry about it.) - See all my reviews
if you break this watch there is a good chance your wrist is in pain. i own lots of watches and i have many stainless dive watches that look tough and fancy. none can hold a candle to a g-shock. ever. that said, a huge production environment is bound to put out a couple mistakes. it happens. exchange it for a new one if possible.
i own one of these watches. its not small but it doesnt look too bad on my little wrist. the light doesnt light up the dial-only the digital read out.that doesnt matter too much to me because the lume on the hands stays lit pretty well. the buttons are hard to push for a very good reason-you dont want them to get pushed unless you mean it. in an active environment , this is the way to be (for me at least). the hands stay where they are supposed to...there are some sport watches out there that are cheaply built and the hands will "slip" if the watch is knocked around (im looking at you pulsar)
let me explain the title of this review here. some people my think that because this watch is made out of plastic that it is low quality. not true in this case. this is a tank of a watch. you could probably run it over with a bread truck and it would be ok (dont try that).
i am a pipefitter and have had one of these for 2 years and it looks brand new and has never failed me. great price too! casio did not fool around when they built this. we asked for it-they built it.
if you want a watch that will impress your friends at dinner this might not be it. if you want a well engineered,simple watch that will impress you....this is it. fresh battery every few years or so and youll be pleased as me.
edit: i now have 2 of these. one is all black and factory and one is navy blue with a black bezel. i bought the blue one on x-bay and tore it down and refurbished it inside and out. i put a horrible picture of it here. its the one in the bush.

G-Shock Men's G100-1BV