5.0 out of 5 stars The best everyday G-Shock
Although it is not solar, it does have a 10-year battery life, so it will not need attention soon. If you don't use the light much, it will probably go 12 years.

Although hasn't got atomic sync, it is accurate to +/- 15s per month; good enough! If you're picky, just re set it every other month. If not, re-set it during the time change-over.

What sets...
Published 24 months ago by Smaug

3.0 out of 5 stars TOUGH STUFF.
Published on July 5, 2008 by Scott Knudsen

5.0 out of 5 stars The best everyday G-Shock, February 2, 2013
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's G2900F-1V "G-Shock Classic" Watch with Black Band (Watch)

What sets this model apart is the eDATA mode. It is a mode for storing secret data, such as logins to websites. This mode is protected by a four-digit PIN code, so it will not fall into the wrong hands.

The digits for reading the time are nice & big, so the time is always legible at a glance. Add to this 5 multi-function (programmable by date) alarms with text reminder strings, a stopwatch, and countdown timer, and you have a great all-around package.

The buttons on the right side of the watch let me scroll upwards or downwards when programming it, so it means less time spent programming. The buttons are easy to press on purpose, as they are nice and big, but not by accident, because they are recessed between the rubber bumpers. The crystal is only mineral glass, but it does not easily get scratched, because it is recessed inside the rubber bezel.

The sail-shaped bar graphs at the top are the main point of contention, among G-Shock fans. Some don't like the shape. I don't mind them at all.

The time of day is visible in the sub display in the timer and alarm modes, which is handy.

The price, being under a hundred bucks, is reasonable too for a G-Shock.

The backlight is programmable to either stay on for 1.5 or 3 seconds, since this is the main drain on the battery. 1.5s is enough if you just need the time. If you have to read a sub-display in the dark, you'll want to change it to 3s.

The only thing I'd change on this watch would be to offer it in a metal bracelet version, as not everyone likes a PUR (polyurethane resin) band.

I give this Casio G-Shock G2900 "Sailman" a 10/10. It has the most useful combination of features for a modern guy of any Casio watch, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only watch I'll ever buy, November 24, 2010
I've owned this model for over 4 years and have never had any problems with it. The best feature is it's able to store e-information (passwords, user names, etc). When I was deployed to Afghanistan, it's ability to go to a different time zone at the push of a button was a big plus. I still use this feature when I travel abroad. I've used it while surfing and it definitely can take a beating. Excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!!!!, April 22, 2010
I purchased one 12 years ago, and I use it every day. It still works fine. What else can you ask for $60.......
By the way, It still have the original battery.

3.0 out of 5 stars TOUGH STUFF., July 5, 2008
Scott Knudsen (Air Ronge, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been buying Casio G-Shock watches for quite a few years. Even though this model is a bit on the large size it is still about 50% smaller than the last models they built. The 10-Year battery is only good for half that time. And ever since I replaced the battery myself I have been having problems with some of the buttons, in fact I can no longer adjust the time or alarm.

I love the G-Shock watches because of the raised bevel which keeps the glass from becoming scratched. All I need to keep me happy in a watch is a countdown timer, stopwatch and multiple alarms. G-Shock prices have never been too bad, and I just replace straps from time to time and eventually about every 5 years I just replace the whole watch with a new one.

Would I recommend this one? Sure. But being that they have such a huge offering of G-Shock watches to choose from on the Casio web-site check them all out first to see which one is most suited to you.

Having the problem with the buttons, these watches are probably only good for 5 years, which isn't too bad if your hard on watches. Being that I don't see anything else on the market that is similar I just bought myself another one.

UPDATE: I only had it a year and my reset button on the Countdown timer quit already! Shame on you Casio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing G-Shock for the money, March 5, 2014
The watch came in perfect condition, working, and was delivered on time. G-Shock are the perfect watches for tough environments or jobs / activities. The e-Data function is useful for storing some data in an not so guessable place (including optional password to access the data). Great design; any standard watch function is included plus e-Data memory storing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a great watch., January 20, 2009
This is my second casio g-shock watch. My last one lasted for about 8 years and the battery died. The only reason I decided to buy a new one was because the old one was showing it's age. I expect this one to last just as long or longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio G-Shock, January 30, 2011
I've had my `Casio G-2900F-2VER' for many years now and it's as reliable now as when I first bought it. It has a solid, rubber strap and the now classic G-Shock casing that resists bangs and impact with ease. This watch has all the features I need for my leisure activities, like a chronograph, 200 metres water resistance, strong back light, world time and alarm functions, as well as an email address setting that I use less. This comes with a ten year battery and when the watch is so cheap this makes for a significant bargain over the years. This is an inexpensive, sturdy and supremely functional watch and well worth considering.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one, July 26, 2013
I like the dial size, style and quality of the product is good..
I recommend this.. Like Like Like LIke...!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy watch with long lasting battery, October 6, 2012
My previous watch was the same model. It lasted 7 years until its plastic frame fell apart. The battery was still going strong. The watch band lasted 2 to 3 years. I had to replace the band 3 times in 7 years. It is an old model, the only G-Shock model that stores data. Easy to read, day and night.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a solid G-Shock., January 27, 2013
After showing my son many of the different G-Shock models, he chose this and the 5600 model. He as 12 yrs old when we bought it, and he had thin wrists so we were looking for G-Shocks that were not overly large - like many of them are.

Both this and the 5600 turned out to be winners - we now own both. This one fits smaller wrists well, and the watch face is on the smaller end of the spectrum of the G line. It has also grown on me, I love the large numbers for the time, the simplicity of the uncluttered face. If you look at other G-Shocks, this one stands alone in style and is unlike the others... my son loves it, and after six months works like a charm. We'll see if the battery truly is 10 years... I am skeptical but have been proven wrong before!

He wears this and the 5600 to school every day, and alternates them evenly. Both watches still look brand new. G-Shocks are tough - they can take a fair amount of abuse (not misuse) and are a great choice for a kid. My other son also has two G-Shocks - he is much tougher on his gear, and they too are holding up well.

A note on the price I paid - this normally fluctuates in price here on Amazon like many items do. We watched it go from $65ish to $75ish - we just left it in the Cart. Then one day it dropped into the $30's and we bought it... we were skeptical it would be new / acceptable, but everything was OK and the watch has worked like a champ. Like many things on Amazon, patience will reward!