Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's G7900A-4 G-Shock Rescue Red Digital Sport Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size Name: O/S N/A|Color: Red|Change

I have been eye-ing the Casio G-Shocking Rescue Red G7900 for some quite time. Casio has released several colors of this G-Shock, one being a limited edition negative display of the red version, but other colors such as white, olive green, black, and another black but with yellow display.

But what caught my attention is the moon and tide graph. I have a Gulfman and G-Lide and the tide and moon display for the G7900 was one of the best I have seen out from Casio thus far. The display is nice and clear, not many obstructions as you get a circular moon tide graph on the upper left, tide graph on top and on the right, you get stop watch modes (for stopwatch 1 & 2). The larger display is the time and date.

Of course, aside from the cool display and what really pulled me in was its red color. The red bezel and band really pops and love the black highlights throughout the watch. Unlike other G-Shock red watches that have orange, this one is red and black and really enhances an outfit (especially if you were a lot of dark colors, especially black and blue). This watch definitely compliments an outfit.

As for the back case, it is stainless steel and you get the usual G-Shock Resist on the back.

The battery used for the G7900A-4 is one lithium battery (CR2025) which lasts approximately 2 years (normal usage). Accuracy at normal temperature is +/- 15 seconds a month.

Now, the band for the Rescue Red is also awesome looking! It doesn't have a shiny look but more of a matted resin look, which I like. The band is quite comfortable, but while not as perfect like the Mudman strap, it still fits comfortably on your wrist and at the base of the strap which connects to the case, there is a black guard that goes over the bumps of the band. Some people complained that watches with those ridges near the base hurt their wrist, so I felt that it was smart for Casio to include those black plastic guards on the back.

I. THE FUNCTIONS

The G-7900A-4 features the moon and tide display on top. Day indicator on top and at the bottom is the time, seconds and date.

Pressing the illumination button on the front gives you an aqua light which is the blue and blue/green illumination that many G-Shocks do come with. This G7900A-4 has two EL (electro-luminescent) panels that cause the entire display to glow for easy reading in the dark and also comes with an auto-light switch, if set, by a slight angle movement will make the light turn on. I have this turned off because I want my batteries to last long! You can set illumination from 3 to 5 seconds.

The modes that come with the Casio G-Shock Rescue Red G7900A-4 is:

* Timekeeping Mode
* Tide/Moon Data Mode
* Stopwatch Mode (ST1)
* Stopwatch Mode (ST2)
* Countdown Timer Mode
* Alarm Mode
* World Time Mode (48 Cities/29 Time Zones)

The stopwatch modes have a display range of 999 hours, 59 minutes, 59.99 seconds and there is auto-start. As for alarm mode, is good and audible. You can also mute the tones as well.

II. THE BUTTONS

The buttons are black and flat and not steel and have a feel similar to the Mudman's but of course, where the Mudman's are designed to keep mud out and takes much more pressure (and for some people, much harder to press), the buttons are easy to press on the G7900. There are four buttons and for the most part, one should not have problems with selections.

III. WATER RESISTANCE

The Casio G-Shock Rescue Red G7900A-4 is marked at 20 Bar which means and this means you can go scuba diving and snorkeling with it.

IV. TIME & MOON GRAPH DISPLAY

The Casio G-Shock Rescue Red G7900A-4 features a circular moon graph on the top left of the display. The moon phase indicator indicates the current phases of the moon as viewed at noon from a position in the Northern Hemisphere looking south. The watch performs a rough calculation of the current moon age from day 0 of the moon age cycle and the margin of error of the displayed moon age is +/- 1 day.

The tide graph has six graphic segments, each of which indicates tide level. The tide graph displayed on the watch is based on the current moon age. The greater the error in a particular moon age, the greater the error in the resulting tide graph.

IV. OVERALL

I absolutely love this watch! It scores high on style (looks great if you wear a lot of black or darker clothing), high on comfort and the display, is stylishly cool, especially if you are looking for a larger tide display on a chunkier watch. The functions are awesome and you really get a lot for your money for the 7900 (I paid $64.99 during the holidaysfor the Rescue Red but they typically sell for under $90) and you can often find various versions on sale on Amazon by Amazon or third party fulfilled by Amazon as well.

It's important to note that some people have received their G7900's in the tin G-Shock cases, I did not. Mine came in a black standard G-Shock cardboard box. The manual as usual with Casio G-Shock releases are quite thick, especially for this watch.

There is really nothing negative that can be said about this watch. It's simple to set (if you are used to G-Shocks), otherwise you get a nice thick manual in various languages to peruse. The watch looks great, it is comfortable and Casio went all out in making sure that those who care about moon and tide displays get a cool watch. Also, the fact that you get the guards on the base of the straps is a plus. I have to say that while the Gulfman was created for the sea and has a pretty cool tide display, I prefer the Rescue Red over the Casio Gulfman in terms of aesthetics and also, it's a 20 bar watch, so you can go deep sea diving with it.

I do recommend purchasing Vinylex Quick Wipes (or spray) to keep your G-Shocks protected (since Resin does tend to harden or crack if not cared for).

But in the end, I have to give the Casio G-Shock Rescue Red G7900A-4 a pretty solid rating. For those looking for a red G-Shock, this is the best out there in my opinion. It's not too flash, it's stylish and cool. But most importantly, it has a lot of the features that make it a pretty awesome G-Shock.

Highly recommended!
11 comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
The Casio G 7900A is a super watch, and I would award it 5 stars but for a couple of minor items.

Pros:
1. The guards under the bracelet are alone a reason to buy the watch. This feature is unique to this model Casio - no other manufacturer has this to my knowledge. These guards allow comfort simultaneously with a snug fit. Such could not be achieved on a large-case watch without these ingenious guards.
2. The beefy sturdy strap is long enough for a big wrist and features a larger sturdy buckle than expected.
3. The buttons are huge and easy to operate even with work gloves on.
4. The light button (bottom, middle with G on it) is even bigger and could be pushed with thermal gloves on.
5. The blue back-light is excellent, easy to read in darkness, causing the numbers to stand out well.
6. The automatic-on light is awesome. You can easily and quickly push a button allowing the light to activate automatically when your arm is tilted up slightly.
7. The case is deeply-recessed, more than most rugged watches, so that the glass and face are very protected. If you have outdoor watches with dull, scratched faces, you will appreciate this.
8. Overall design looks like you could beat it up all you want without hurting it.
9. Despite the intimidating thick booklet, this watch is easy to figure out and operate. Spend about 15 minutes with the booklet and you will have mastered the basic operations (I think all G-Shocks share the same basic button functions).
10. Easy to read numbers. They are no larger than other watches (my Ironman has bigger numerals), but they stand out better than most because the bright silver/grey background makes the crisp, dark numerals stand out almost as if 3-D.
11. The moon and tide functions are quite handy for fishing and boaters and are programmable for accuracy in various maritime areas. It takes time and referral to tables found on the web to do the calculations. If you do not need these functions, no big deal: the watch is worth it for the other reasons above.
12. Okay, I admit, the thing is sharp looking in the rescue/orange/red color.
13. There is a separate window with highlighted 5-minute bars to remind you that one or both of your countdown timers are running. Very handy if you forget that you are timing something.

Cons:
1. The dividers between the time, tide and moon displays are raised up off the working surface, so that the numerals are partially obscured or in their shadows when you view from some angles. However, that is not a deal-breaker, as you can tilt for a better view.
2. The G 7900-A is a chunky watch, strap and buckle, so it may be slightly clumsy during keyboarding. Otherwise, it is very comfortable.
3 I wish the numbers were larger, but at least they stand out well and are average size for a digital watch.
on November 18, 2009
When I saw the cool red color of this watch i had to buy it...everyone should have at least one watch that is unique and stands out from the dreary black/white world of normal everyday watches...these G-Shock Casios (I have a few) are so rugged, extremely well built and reliable they will probably outlive us all. The only reason this gets 4 stars from me instead of 5 is that the initial set up is somewhat complicated and time consuming...whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE THE OWNER'S MANUAL!...you will need it!
on February 8, 2016
I recently deployed to Antarctica and was assigned to a GSAR team (Glacier Search & Rescue) and needed a watch that could handle lower temperatures, be used with big gloves on, and be highly visible against black/grey gear. This fit the requirements and has worked out well for me.

PROS and random thoughts:
- The watch has quite a few functions that I honestly didn't anticipate needing, but have come in very handy. The countdown timer is very useful for reminding me to do radio check-ins with the teams every 30 minutes, as well as other recurring tasks that are easy to forget
- The multiple alarms can be confusing, but if you read the manual it's simple enough, and they're pretty flexible. I didn't think I'd care about having 4 or 5 alarms but I've used up to three of them simultaneously for different things
- Watch is bulky and sturdy. Having always worn the very thin "retro" F105W-1A Casio's, this was an adjustment for me, but I've grown to appreciate it and now the old F105W seems too small

CONS:
- Moon/tide graph is very useful to me working on the coast; it's one of the reasons I bought the watch. But I do wish the moon graph had greater than +/- 1 day precision. Not a deal breaker but would be nice
- Display is faded-looking when viewed from a downward-right angle. While wearing on the left hand this isn't a problem, but might be a consideration if you wear your watches on the right hand
- Included manual is very useful but is waaaaay too tiny. Do what I did and download the PDF version; much easier to use when doing initial configuration

Overall great watch. Looks great, rugged, and most importantly: functional and does what it's supposed to.
review image review image review image review image
on October 16, 2011
Long week waiting on watch-amazon direct is faster. So far the watch lives up to the hype-does what it is suppose to do.Functions don't seem too complicated to set-instructions are easy to read and follow-but I must admit I have yet too set the tide function and the lunar-at age 49 I am in no hurry. The black g-shock rescue watch feedback on this site has a very good instruction guide for tide and lunar so that should be no problem.
I like this watch...Will update on long term experience.
on October 1, 2011
I have been collecting G-Shocks for the past year now and i have eight. this is my sixth watch and i have 3 reasons why this watch rules.

1. It is one of the most stand-out watches ever. It is the scarlet red and the broad feauture that makes this watch an eye popper.

2. It is one of the only red watches that looks AWSOME! this watch is legen- wait for it-

3.It has so many amazing features and has tidal features ans also wave calulations such as low and high tide. This watch is a MUST BUY for someone who likes and buys many shocks.

It is still in geart condition. No scuff marks have been found on this watch yet and it is water proof up to 200 meters. MUST BUY! the shipment from this buyer was amazing and quick. Even the free super saver shipment was quick. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT

- dary...LEGENDARY!

-Kipp c[=
on June 23, 2015
I have many casio watches and ever since I got my first , the only watches I have are casio . It is a very reliable and high quality type of watch that will last you a lifetime and will work under almost any condition or beating on an everyday use basis. however this is my third G shock and I am loving it. I have to say that it took me a while before ordering this watch because of the interface and color but I'm glad I did! The feeling is so comfortable. It doesn't pull or grip on your forearm hair (which is very bothering if you have hairy arms) because the wristbands and bezel are covered in resin which is very soft on the skin and deals very well with sweat. The buttons aren't too repressed or too exposed just perfect for my opinion.The color of the watch is even better than what you are seeing on your computer , it is a true red rescue. I thought that it wouldn't have looked too good as an everyday carry watch but this color is fantastic, everyone that has seen my watch loves it and asks me where I got it.the user interface is casio standard so , super user friendly , anyone could understand it without consulting the manual. the dial window is made of mineral which is very resistant to scratches and sort of renders most scratches non visible, however up until now ever since I got it I haven't taken it off. I take showers with it ,so it's exposed to soap. I take it with me to the gym ,so at the end of the workout it is covered in sweat, then to the swimming pool and scuba diving lessons and after that sauna and steam room and the watch handles the heat and humidity very well with no problems at all. I also took this watch with me to the beach and it handles the salty water and sand very well and again NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! therefor I am pleased to say I am very satisfied with casio and their product , not to mention the casing it came in! all I can say is that it is all very professional and I would rather buy this and don't have to worry about other watches for a long time rather than continuously buying cheap low quality watches that break after a couple of days. Highly recommend !
p.s the moon and tide graph is precise for my personal opinion
review image review image
on March 1, 2016
the CASIO G7900 series have always been substantial watches both in size and features. this particular RESCUE RED model stands out not only because of its color, but more so for ambience it wraps the wearer in. jeans and a long-sleeve shirt or shorts and a tee really pop if one wears this watch! it is not just a watch, IT'S A FASHION STATEMENT!

now, for the watch itself. the G7900 holds no worries for me, as i have other watches of this range in different colors. the controls, while it may daunting to a newbie, does have a learnng curve, but once you read the manual thoroughly, one can get the hang of it pretty quickly. my other G7900s have been in deeper water, banged about, messed with, basically gone through the wringer, but all have managed to pull through unscathed. these are watches that you can wear and "forget", unlike others that you have to keep an eye on to avoid damage, both cosmetic and structural. the design itself, while visually-busy for some, is actually well thought out --- the time is easy to see and the other features are not buried in the clutter of other watche-faces. the four screws give a somewhat industrial-grade look, the strap "wings" on tge qatchband itself manage to raise the watch body just enough off my wrist to preclude sweating or "grab"; this simple feature makes this watch one of the most comfortable to wear, actually. this is, however, a chunky watch --- it is not for the sartorially faint-of-heart, as this screams to be noticed. you WILL get a lot of compliments, OR looks of disdain, hahaha! but NOTICED? oh, you will be!

the watch itself, while a major part of this transaction, is only half the story --- the seller was more than prompt in delivery, as i got the watch in two days! i read other reviews before i purchased this one, and mine did come in the G-SHOCK tin and box. order with confidence from this seller; i assure you, you will not be disappointed!

the G7900 may be a rather dated design for some, but this RECUE RED version sure updates it.
on March 24, 2013
This is a nice, functional watch that you don't have to take out a mortgage to purchase. The set-up is fast, and the instructions
are fairly simple to follow. Note that each moon phase on the watch dial covers a few days, so the moon's shape isn't
precise to the day. The 'lighted dial' feature is nice to have. If you are visually compromised the smaller sized time numerals may
be an issue, but being 62, and I am able to find my glasses most of the time, this isn't an issue. The strap is comfortable, and whether rain or perspiration contacts the watch it is irrelevant. Nice sport watch for playing outdoors.
on March 18, 2015
My son begged me for this watch for a long time. We found the best prices on Amazon. So far the watch has been a solid performer. It has held up to the rigor of my son who is 10 years old. He loves all the features and functions, especially the moon and tide indicators.