5.0 out of 5 stars A beast of a watch!
Alright, I read another review for this item from a customer and evidently he had problems pushing the buttons that are enclosed in a protective coating... Give me a break. If it were easy to push the buttons, I wouldn't want the watch.

Published on June 8, 2007 by John M. Fetzer Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the band and caseback
Published on April 5, 2008 by R. L. Ware

5.0 out of 5 stars A beast of a watch!, June 8, 2007
This review is from: Casio Men's G9000-1V G-Shock Mudman Digital Sports Watch (Watch)

This watch is light in weight, but heavy duty. I purchased this watch when a friend of mine that recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq had nothing but praise for it. His withstood the elements of war, so at least I figured mine could withstand all of my outdoor activities.

Set-up is simple and the watch is going to do what I need a watch to do. Last and keep time. I don't enjoy frills of calculators and other garbage they put on a lot of these digital watches, so this is perfect for me.

If you have a weak or limp wrist, this watch isn't the one for you. The buttons take some effort to push, but nothing that's a reason for giving this bad boy a 1-star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars This watch is a "MUST-HAVE", July 13, 2007
I actually bought a G SHOCK watch back in 1987. I beat the *&%$ out of this watch for 20 years and it just finally died. I never replaced the battery in all that time; can you believe that? That watch owed me nothing. If you want a watch that cannot be destroyed - this is the watch for you. I literally ran this watch over with my car and it was prefectly fine afterwards. This watch was probably the best purchase I ever made in my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch., July 3, 2007
The watch is really good. I was worried by earlier reviews that the buttons are hard to press and people changed watches later. Of course the buttons are little hard to press, but the purpose for which I bought it was to work in muddy conditions and under any force in nature. The watch is best for those conditions. Fully protected. I am very satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed - a basic watch with a few features, January 27, 2009
I like dress watches and usually wear something more elegant than this Casio watch, but I felt like having something casual and thought it would be fun to have a digital watch like I had when I was a kid.

This watch is great for me because it's big and beefy but very lightweight. It probably weighs a lot less than any of my other watches, yet it seems fairly durable, and it's so inexpensive that you don't really worry about it if anything should happen to it.

One of my favorite things about this watch is its simplicity. With a quick glance I can see what day it is, including the day of the week, in addition to the time. I know that might not seem like a big deal to most people, but I'm kind of absent minded sometimes, so it's actually nice for me when I can look at my watch and see that ok, today is Saturday. Yes, I can do this on some of my other watches, but they have dials mostly, some of them that need to be set periodically, so I can't really trust that maybe I set it correctly, or else they are tiny and hard to see.

Also I like the timer feature, for when I am cooking something and I can't hear the timer in the kitchen because maybe I am too far away.

Some reviews I read say the buttons are very hard to push, which I found to be true in the very beginning of owning the watch, but after an initial breaking in period, they are a little bit easier. Not to say they are a soft touch, they do require some effort. The upside is that you're not likely to push one of the buttons and change a setting by accident by bumping it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it is., February 18, 2008
I never normally wear digital watches. I think they look cheap, nasty and tacky. I purchased this watch because I wanted a cheap "beater" with a good stop watch that is light so I could wear it whilst running or working out and wouldn't be affected by sweat. I also wanted something really tough that was water and sand resistant because I'm going on a cruise around the South Pacific soon and will be spending a lot of time in salt water, snorkeling and doing stuff in "beachy" places. I really didn't want to wear my Tag Heuer with gold plating in the salt water or on the beaches during the day in case it corroded the metal, ditto for my watches that have leather bands etc so I purchased this Casio Mudman brand new on Ebay for half of what they retail for here in Australia. (They retail brand new here for about $200 and I got mine for around $120 including postage from Hong Kong).

For what it is this watch is a quality piece of equipment. It is tough and very well constructed, you can feel that as soon as you pick it up. It is water resistant to 200 meters and is shock and mud or sand proof as well. It actually looks quite nice although you couldn't wear it with a suit. It is a big but not huge watch and I don't have a massive wrist although for some reason it doesn't look too big on me which I'm glad about. It has a couple of stop watches, world time functions for a ton of cities, several alarms, countdown timers, day date and month- pretty much all you need for a tough, sporty kind of watch. Although I haven't put it to any "test" yet, you can just feel the toughness of this watch, I really think it could take a lot of punishment although I probably won't be subjecting it to anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, as a sporty, tough, rugged kind of watch that you can wear without worry of scratching or damaging, this Casio Mudman really fits the bill. 5 stars for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the band and caseback, April 5, 2008
If you spend any time at all in the g-shock forums you will see two main points about this watch. They are the band is the most comfortable ever or that it sucks real bad. I fell into the latter camp. The band itself is not bad it's more flexible than some G-Shocks. The real problem lies in the resin nubs that are on the case back to raise it up slightly off your wrist. They are abrasive and will scratch you as the watch shifts. It's not like they scratch you like a cat, but it is an irritating feeling. I like the band on my GW-500 much more than this one and the bands on any of my Timex Ironman watches are even better. If only we could get the ruggedness of the G-shock head with a band like Timex makes it would be a true winner.

Good: Two 1000 hours stopwatches, though I never run for more than 30 minutes. 24 hour countdown timer, mud and shock resistant. Overall a nice watch.

Bad: The band/nubbins combo that scratches. The face is too busy. On the Watchuseek forum, it was said this watch is like someone who wears too much make-up. Ala Mimi on the Drew Carey show. Sometimes less is more. Casio could take a hint from companies like Suunto and Timex and produce watches that are easier to read with less useless graphics on the dial.

As I said this seems to be a hit or miss model. I may own one again, but I'd get the black dawn version to get rid of the "bad make-up job" and take an emery board to those damnable bumps on the case back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome watch, July 4, 2007
Jon A. (Santo Domingo, DR) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch as a replacement for my old G-shock (DW69001V) and I am pleased with my buy. Buttons are stiff but not something to complain about and give it a bad review on its "stiffness". 100% happy with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried 2 and was disappointed twice, September 18, 2013
I received this watch as a gift for Christmas in 2010. I was in the military at the time and the watch saw moderate abuse, some beating around in airplanes and vehicles and water submersion up to 10 feet. The only issue I had with it was that the watch face wasn't properly sealed and in humid conditions the inside face would collect condensation and I couldn't read it. Annoying but I lived with it. It did fine for a year or so, and then began to reset itself, set off random alarms, and generally be unreliable. I replaced the battery and that didn't fix it.

I picked up a cheap replacement watch for awhile, and then in May of 2012 decided to try buying another of these, because it had worked well for awhile and I thought perhaps I'd just gotten a lemon, especially considering all the positive reviews. By this time I was out of the military, but involved in civilian volunteer search and rescue work, so I needed a rugged watch. Within days of receiving it, I had the same issue with condensation on the inner watch face, except worse. I sent the watch to the Casio repair center and they "fixed" it for free and sent it back. However, within a matter of days the problem re-surfaced. Again, I put up with it for awhile. Then, in the last month the watch has begun resetting itself and even more strangely (and annoyingly) randomly triggering the alarm when none is set. I'd consider this watch to have had minor outdoors exposure and zero water submersion this time around.

Bottom line, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm immediately replacing the watch with one from a different company because I depend on it for SAR operations at night, and last week it flat out let me down and reset itself in the middle of a training exercise. Not to mention the problem is recurring to the point where it's completely useless now. I'm surprised that no one else is reporting these issues since I've had them with two different watches, and wonder if maybe those folks just haven't gotten on to do a review. Please consider this carefully before purchasing this watch. It's expensive compared to others, such as the Timex Expedition, yet both of the ones I've owned have lasted me less time than any of the cheaper kinds I've had over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mudman Watch is Housework Proof!, July 4, 2008
Aunt Betsey (St. Louis, Missouri) - See all my reviews
I am a professional housekeeper. So in any given day, I may be changing diapers, scrubbing floors, doing laundry, etc. Also, I garden in my spare time and groom my own poodles. I need a watch that I can put on and forget about. The Mudman is certainly kid proof and dog proof and housework proof. Also, the various count up and count down timers are very useful. The programming buttons are a bit stiff, but that way you can't push them accidentally. I like the fact that there are four alarms and that the count down timer is programmable. This is not just a watch for sportsman, it is a watch for anyone who has their hands in soap, water, dirt, pet hair and CHAOS all day long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Made for a 82nd Airborne Paratrooper, May 25, 2008
I've worn various Casio G Shock watches for over 12 years and this is by far the best so far, the band is very comfortable, the illumination is easily seen at night, and the watch is very light weight. This model watch has all the functions I need for day to day workouts and combat operations.

ARRAY(0x9f9738c4)