Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's G9000-1V "G-Shock" Digital Sport Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 8, 2007
Alright, I read another review for this item from a customer and evidently he had problems pushing the buttons that are enclosed in a protective coating... Give me a break. If it were easy to push the buttons, I wouldn't want the watch.

This watch is light in weight, but heavy duty. I purchased this watch when a friend of mine that recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq had nothing but praise for it. His withstood the elements of war, so at least I figured mine could withstand all of my outdoor activities.

Set-up is simple and the watch is going to do what I need a watch to do. Last and keep time. I don't enjoy frills of calculators and other garbage they put on a lot of these digital watches, so this is perfect for me.

If you have a weak or limp wrist, this watch isn't the one for you. The buttons take some effort to push, but nothing that's a reason for giving this bad boy a 1-star rating.
1010 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2007
I actually bought a G SHOCK watch back in 1987. I beat the *&%$ out of this watch for 20 years and it just finally died. I never replaced the battery in all that time; can you believe that? That watch owed me nothing. If you want a watch that cannot be destroyed - this is the watch for you. I literally ran this watch over with my car and it was prefectly fine afterwards. This watch was probably the best purchase I ever made in my life.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
I got this watch and it's one of the most sturdiest watches I've ever gotten! When it came home, it looked a bit small in the box, but after 6 days of use, the watch seems like the best watch ever. It feels so sturdy in the hand, the band has a circular feel to it and has a stainless steel back! The watch is also water resistant, so I mean I've washed my hands with it on and it still look brand new! It takes a second to figure out how to set up the time and everything. But once you read the manual, which is pretty simple to understand, you can set up the watch easily! The only that is some what bad is that the buttons are a bit stiff, but that's a good thing so mud does not go in and after a few days of use you get used to it so that's not a big problem. Also I've heard after 3-4 years of use, the paint on the logos can come off. But you can get that repainted, and that only happens when you use it really rough! Shipping is also fast with DHL Global Mail! I was supposed to get the watch on the 29th, but got it on the 23rd!It came in only 5 days to Canada! So overall the watch is the best watch ever and I highly recommend the watch anyone, who needs to use it alot! I give it a 9.5/10 and that 0.5 is cut off only if the theory of the watch that the paint comes off, if that is not true, then 10/10! It's a G Shock and they make the world's best watches! Also out of all the G Shocks this is the best look with a good price tag of only $60! The other ones are good too, but a expensive and some are cheaper than this one, but look pretty ugly! So this is the best G Shock you can get and it's black, so won't get dirty! I recommend buying it a few weeks before Christmas because then Amazon.com has sales on this watch! And buy from Amazon.com only, not other merchants, because then you don't get full Casio warranty, but you have to ask the merchant for the warranty as some do offer Casio warranty.
on October 14, 2015
I was reading a review saying the buttons are too stiff to push.
Well, pony up sally, because this watch isn't for prissy little kids who can't push a button.
This bad boy is 3.5 ounces of masculine time-telling machinery. Didn't the name "mudman" clue you in?

You could probably plunge your hand through the chest of a bear, pull out his heart, and still know exactly what time it is.
When you wear this watch, there is a 100% chance that you will know the exact time, down to the millisecond. Every time. Anytime.

When aliens come to abduct you, they'll see this watch and realize that you're not the kind of man to tangle with. Instead of probing you, they'll pour you a tall cool glass of space ale from the planet Kepler-186f and give you a free tour of the solar system, as an apology for inconveniencing you.

When you're riding around on your 8 foot steed slaying beasts of the wild, some babe might ask you for the time. Lucky for you, you decided to buy this watch, and when she see's it, she'll hop on that horse right behind you and you'll ride off into the proverbial sunset, leaving her non-mudman wearing boyfriend in the dust.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin invented a time machine to come to the future to purchase a pair of these bad boys, then went back to 1969, so they could know the time when they were on the moon. I'm personally confident that this watch could withstand a trip through the sun.

If Constantine III would have had this watch, he would have known it was time to stop the sacking of Rome, and the Roman empire never would have fallen.

Not only does this watch tell time like a boss, it also has a ton of other functions that I don't know how to use.
on July 4, 2008
I am a professional housekeeper. So in any given day, I may be changing diapers, scrubbing floors, doing laundry, etc. Also, I garden in my spare time and groom my own poodles. I need a watch that I can put on and forget about. The Mudman is certainly kid proof and dog proof and housework proof. Also, the various count up and count down timers are very useful. The programming buttons are a bit stiff, but that way you can't push them accidentally. I like the fact that there are four alarms and that the count down timer is programmable. This is not just a watch for sportsman, it is a watch for anyone who has their hands in soap, water, dirt, pet hair and CHAOS all day long.
on July 3, 2007
The watch is really good. I was worried by earlier reviews that the buttons are hard to press and people changed watches later. Of course the buttons are little hard to press, but the purpose for which I bought it was to work in muddy conditions and under any force in nature. The watch is best for those conditions. Fully protected. I am very satisfied.
on September 18, 2013
I received this watch as a gift for Christmas in 2010. I was in the military at the time and the watch saw moderate abuse, some beating around in airplanes and vehicles and water submersion up to 10 feet. The only issue I had with it was that the watch face wasn't properly sealed and in humid conditions the inside face would collect condensation and I couldn't read it. Annoying but I lived with it. It did fine for a year or so, and then began to reset itself, set off random alarms, and generally be unreliable. I replaced the battery and that didn't fix it.

I picked up a cheap replacement watch for awhile, and then in May of 2012 decided to try buying another of these, because it had worked well for awhile and I thought perhaps I'd just gotten a lemon, especially considering all the positive reviews. By this time I was out of the military, but involved in civilian volunteer search and rescue work, so I needed a rugged watch. Within days of receiving it, I had the same issue with condensation on the inner watch face, except worse. I sent the watch to the Casio repair center and they "fixed" it for free and sent it back. However, within a matter of days the problem re-surfaced. Again, I put up with it for awhile. Then, in the last month the watch has begun resetting itself and even more strangely (and annoyingly) randomly triggering the alarm when none is set. I'd consider this watch to have had minor outdoors exposure and zero water submersion this time around.

Bottom line, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm immediately replacing the watch with one from a different company because I depend on it for SAR operations at night, and last week it flat out let me down and reset itself in the middle of a training exercise. Not to mention the problem is recurring to the point where it's completely useless now. I'm surprised that no one else is reporting these issues since I've had them with two different watches, and wonder if maybe those folks just haven't gotten on to do a review. Please consider this carefully before purchasing this watch. It's expensive compared to others, such as the Timex Expedition, yet both of the ones I've owned have lasted me less time than any of the cheaper kinds I've had over the years.
on January 29, 2013
We own a number of G-Shocks - my boys own the following: GD100-MS1, the GLX-5600, G7900-1 Rescue, G2900-1V.

I own the G9300-1 Mudman, and this - the G9000-1V Mudman. Of all the G's we own, this is right up there with my favorites, and I wear it often. It actually sees more wrist time than my G9300 since it is smaller and wears lighter, I like the way it wears.

At first, I was not as satisfied with the function buttons - originally they were difficult to push as some have clearly stated in other reviews. However, I am not sure if they have loosened up over time, but they don't seem to me that they are as hard to push as when the watch was new. I operate the buttons now without thinking about it and without much difficulty now. Like I said, I am not sure if it is because I got used to them, or they have worn in and loosened up - it might be a little of both. Although they are not as easy to push as the other G's I own, it is not that big of a deal.

As far as functions - I bought the G9000 Mudman due to it's reputation of having one of the better G modules out there - and in my opinion it has lived up to that billing. Two stopwatches, a countdown timer, International timezones, four alarms, snooze, a nice bright, easy to push light and more.... Plus, I like the way this reads compared to other G's in normal lighting - it has a bright face, and reads well in all lighting conditions. The letters, date, etc are all easy to read too - even for my old eyes! Many other G-Shocks have certain parts of the face that are not easy to read- like the date on some models, but on this Mucman due to the display brightness, font used, etc I like the way it reads and have no trouble with it.

The only "con" I can think of is the "2" used in military time - it is a little "squashed" due to the way it is displayed.... a minor thing, but it is a lame looking "2".

Others have complained about the nubs on the back being uncomfortable when wearing the watch for extended periods - I have not noticed that, and I have used it for woodworking and other strenuous tasks. It might depend on how tight you cinch the watch while wearing it, or perhaps on wrist shape - I could see that others could be bothered by it, but it has not bothered me at all. Also, others have complained about the buttons being difficult to push - I have to agree the buttons are not the easiest to push compared to many other G's, BUT like I mention above I don' t mind it or notice it as much, and it seems to have improved as the buttons have become broken in. The buttons on this Mudman will not be for everyone, I am not trying to say they are easy to push - only that I don't mind them, and I realize to make the watch mud proof there has to be some trade off.

Considering I got this watch for much less than the retail price here on Amazon, I could not be happier with its performance after five months of ownership.

Would recommend to anyone looking for a tough, good looking G.
If you spend any time at all in the g-shock forums you will see two main points about this watch. They are the band is the most comfortable ever or that it sucks real bad. I fell into the latter camp. The band itself is not bad it's more flexible than some G-Shocks. The real problem lies in the resin nubs that are on the case back to raise it up slightly off your wrist. They are abrasive and will scratch you as the watch shifts. It's not like they scratch you like a cat, but it is an irritating feeling. I like the band on my GW-500 much more than this one and the bands on any of my Timex Ironman watches are even better. If only we could get the ruggedness of the G-shock head with a band like Timex makes it would be a true winner.

Good: Two 1000 hours stopwatches, though I never run for more than 30 minutes. 24 hour countdown timer, mud and shock resistant. Overall a nice watch.

Bad: The band/nubbins combo that scratches. The face is too busy. On the Watchuseek forum, it was said this watch is like someone who wears too much make-up. Ala Mimi on the Drew Carey show. Sometimes less is more. Casio could take a hint from companies like Suunto and Timex and produce watches that are easier to read with less useless graphics on the dial.

As I said this seems to be a hit or miss model. I may own one again, but I'd get the black dawn version to get rid of the "bad make-up job" and take an emery board to those damnable bumps on the case back.
33 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2014
At first I was unsure of whether to buy this. In fact, I was about to go ahead and pull the trigger, but I decided against it. A few weeks went by, I was getting tired of my minimalist Casio I had on already. "Water Resistant." Out of nowhere, I went and bought it. I've had this watch for a little over a week now, and here is the hard truth about this watch:

Cons:
At first, it is a little uncomfortable with the little stubs on the bottom of the watch that touch your arm. You adjust to them, and now they feel like they aren't even there. So I guess this is a temporary con.

The buttons. They aren't as bad as people say. You can easily change modes, and start and stop timers and such. Where is it a little difficult is changing the times. Going from 0 to 30 will leave your finger tips a little red, but you just have to deal with it for the sake of the mud resistance. Trust me when I say, they aren't that bad. Man up ladies.

A little on the big side. Where it is big is vertically. As in the bottom of your wrist up. But that is the protection part, so if you want sleek, you're looking in the wrong area.

Pros:
So, so light. It doesn't look it, but this is not a heavy watch.

Features! There are a lot. Look up the specifications.

For me, my favorite part is the hourly chime's chime. It is quiet enough to use in class, but loud enough to unmistakably hear it.

Waterproof, mud-proof, and durable. One thing I am prone to doing, is slamming my wrist into walls accidentally. I have already done it a few times and the screen is fine. The watch case comes out a little to protect it, so my screen remains unharmed.

Looks surprisingly nice on the wrist.

The back light is great, and the screen is clear and simple.

The band is very nice, and the buckle type thing (whatever) is perfect for me.

Conclusion: I'm sure I have missed a few things in this, but trust me. If you are unsure of whether or not you should get it like I was, just go for it. It is light, comfortable (once it is broken in, per say), good-looking, and feature packed. Not to mention durable, and element-proof. Just go for it if you want a rugged watch. And don't worry too much about the buttons. They will get even easier to press through time. I no doubt give this at least a 4.5/5.