5.0 out of 5 stars Best Watch I've ever had
Published on July 17, 2009 by R. Bautista

1.0 out of 5 stars I sent this one back.
I needed a durable watch so I could tell what time it is. Simple request. This one failed completely and I sent it back. The numbers are just impossible to read. At night you can push the button and the time lights up, so if you need a night-time watch and don't mind having to push a button (because no illumination otherwise) this one is for you.

During any...
Published 1 month ago by Steven C. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Watch I've ever had, July 17, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's G9000MS-1CR G-Shock Military Concept Black Digital Watch (Watch)
this is quite possibly the best watch i've ever owned. i'm big into watches and i have a few from casio. i have the pathfinder which i like but don't really need that many features for day to day. i have a fancy movado watch which is good for special occasions, but i'm an active person so it's not good for all the time. i'm currently deployed in afghanistan, and i haven't taken this watch off once, it does the job, it looks good, and i feel like it's basically indestrucatable. if you want a rugged watch that'll take a beating even if you're in the middle of a sandstorm while it's raining, then i would recomment this for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little too tacticool, August 3, 2009
For start,the design of the watch is great. The visual bulk of the watch disappears as soon as it's on your wrist; it doesn't sit as high on your wrist as some G shocks tend to and the rubber strap is quite comfy. The buttons on the sides of the Mudman are large but a little stiff due to the one piece construction of the buttons and case to greatly reduce mud from entering inside the case. The shortcoming with the G9000MS-1 model specifically however is the display. Forget about trying to read it in low light conditions at all, and even when there is adequate light, you may find yourself tilting it at just the right angle in order to read the digits. The smaller details of the display such as the alarm indicators are all but impossible to read without the backlight. Once the backlight is activeated, the digital display characters go from a dull red to a bright blue, and the white words around the display are lit up in a bright white. Aesthetically, the blacked out face in combination with the black case, band and metal bits make it fit the theme well. The G9000MS-1 is still as practical and durable as any other G Shock, just expect to get more use out of the backlight.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool watch, September 18, 2009
As many reviews have said it is hard to see the display, that is so true. But just activate the auto EL function and everytime you tilt your wrist to look at it the display lights up. The big selling point of this watch is the aesthetics. It is all blacked out, the numbers glow a dim red, cool military-style numbering on the band that identifies the watch's module. I wore this watch on a 2 week business trip to Asia in some of the hottest, steamiest weather ever and it was totally perfect---- it is light, it breathes and stands away from the wrist. A leather band watch would have been destroyed - a steel banded watch would have stunk and left black marks on your wrist. An additional bonus for travel is the world timer on it - which I used the heck out of. This watch is like a Hummer for your wrist, but a Hummer that weighs the same as a Civic and gets 40mpg. Buy it - it is cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch During My Deployment!!, November 5, 2009
DubZer0 "Jon" (Somewhere, Middle East) - See all my reviews
This watch is awesome! Its a Casio G Shock so you know its tough when it comes to getting banged around. Its also a "Mudman" model. The matte black color of the watch is also really slick looking as well. Its a great size not too bulky. I'm in the Infantry, and deployed right now, so this watch so far has seem its fair share of getting beat up. Highly reccommended! The World Time feature is pretty cool, as well as all the various stopwatches, timers, alarms, etc. I love this watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch except for one thing., December 13, 2009
W. Shipman (Lawrenceville, GA) - See all my reviews
This is a great watch except for the contrast in low light. I read that this watch was hard to see in other reviews but dismissed it as bad eye sight on the reviewer. I have perfect sight and the watch is just hard to see in low light situations. It does look cool and I enjoy wearing it. Just be aware that this is not for the faint of sight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical G-Shock "Shock & Awe"..., February 28, 2011
...an amazing watch really. I have to give thanks to my wonderful wife who bought this for me quite some time ago. I've had several G-Shocks over the years, all of which are still going strong. However, the last-most-recent G-Shock I have is this one: Casio Men's MTG910DA-1V G-Shock MT-G Solar Atomic Watch. I love that watch and still wear it but, frankly, for frequent travel and wear and tear, I found it a bit heavy and starting to look a little worse for the wear (particularly with regard to the metal band on that one). I wanted one a bit lighter and with a resin band (the metal band on the G-Shock mentioned above CANNOT be replaced with anything else, at least so I've been told by various jewelers I've taken it to). Thus, my wife got me this one - she knew I had it on my wish list. God bless her.

Since I've had it, I've put through just about every abuse you can imagine. From freezing cold, to blistering hot. From the wilds of Alaska, to the tropics, to the Smokies, to the Appalachians, to the Everglades, to the Keys, from underwater, to mountaintop. It's been everywhere with me, in all manner of conditions and has performed flawlessly, without so much as the slightest blemish. Again, typical G-Shock performance.

Although others have expressed difficulty reading the time on this watch, I find it very easy to read. Of course, at night and/or in the dark, it's impossible to read without pressing the backlight on it, but, that button is centrally located and very easy to push and, as can be imagined, it illuminates just fine.

A great, all-purpose watch that will surely handle anything you can dish out. Plus it looks great and quite frequently attracts compliments.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars G-Shock FTW!!, April 15, 2013
First off let me say that I have had G-Shock watches before and I have always loved them especially during the time i was in the military. They're sturdy, well made and fun (being a techie type I'm easily amused by all the functions and the various looks). I haven't owned a G-Shock in many years but I started shopping around for one on Amazon (BEST PRICING.PERIOD.) and came across this beauty. Now before i purchase most things I always do a bit of research and read several reviews. Many of the reviews I saw here regarding this watch mentioned how difficult it was to see the numerical readout in certain instances and light sources. Taking into account that this was a "Military Concept" type watch it was not surprising that the readout (which is reverse LCD with red lettering) would be a challenge for some to see...after all, if you've been in the military then you know that "red light" is typically used due to it's low light properties. However, when I received the watch I instantly fell in love with it! The face is neither too big or too small (as I have a medium size wrist) and the readout is actually, at least for me, pretty easily visible outside. Inside, where you are more prone to find incandescent (iridescent?) lighting I also didn't seem to have too much trouble. Obviously when the lights are really low (think movie theater) it is hard to see the time...but that's what the back-light is for, which illuminates from anywhere from 3-5 seconds (you can adjust this) so you can see not just the time and date but also the functions the four buttons on the sides correspond to. Also, initially the buttons are slightly hard to press but this being a "Mudman" watch you expect that as well...what's the point of having easy buttons to press if it would inherently let in liquids and mud?? Also this is just part of the design as the watch is made of one whole piece of material which adds to it's integrity as a "Mudman". The band is ridiculously comfortable with a two-pronged latch system. First day i got it I worked out with it and took a shower with it and it took it like a champ. I fully intend on putting it to the ultimate test when I run the "Tough Mudder" course in Florida this May.

A word to wise; being guys, we typically don't RTFM (look it up) but in this case I would highly recommend spending the 15 min to go through the manual and learn the functions of the watch. It's pretty full featured and actually knowing what the watch can do will add to your enjoyment and appreciation of this excellent timepiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Dark Knight of Watches, February 24, 2014
Its a good wear. The dual holed band along with a dual pronged clasp seems sturdy . I like the fact it uses screws to connect the band to the watch, no more mamby pamby push pins that bend or release when you do not want it to. It has multiple stop watches and alarms, timer, a lot of time zones and maybe even some other stuff I have yet to find. Now to address the two biggest issues I have read from other reviews. Are the buttons harder to push than your average Casio watch??? Yes. Are they too hard for you to press??? Depends on how strong your hand and fingers are. For me it is not a problem and the extra protection to keep mud and crap out of the buttons is worth it. Is the display darker than your average Casio watch??? Yes. Is it too dark for you??? Depends on the lighting your watch is in. I found whilst working out in my basement (which does not have the best of light) I have to angle the watch towards a bulb to see the time or you can press the illuminate display button. It has the option for being on three or five seconds. I set mine for three since that is enough time to see what you need to see. I would not try to program this in the dark using only the illumination to see what you are doing. I really enjoy this watch and plan on keeping it for a long time to come that is unless I break a few fingers on my right hand and cannot press the buttons any longer... ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Mens' G-Force Military., December 1, 2009
Dave "OndEdge" (Clifton Park, NY) - See all my reviews
Like the other reviews I have read, this is a great watch. Although it is very difficult to see the display without illumination. Nice size and light on the wrist. Very durable. Buttons are difficult to push but you get used to it. The first day I set it to the second on time atomic time. After a week it had gained 1 minute and 36 seconds. Could not understand why. Reset it and it has been fine ever since. I don't wear it everyday but 2-3 times a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... day and I must say that this is the best watch I have ever owned, July 18, 2014
I have owned quite a few watches in my day and I must say that this is the best watch I have ever owned. Drugged this thing through 5 years of hell in the marine corps until the band's finally dry rotted and we're replaced with 550 cord. I would drag my junk over 10 miles of broken Glass and punch a grizzly bear in the face if I knew that I would have one of these watches for the rest of my life.