on February 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've had this watch for about 4 months now and would like to give feedback for those who might be purchasing this for the same reasons I did. First I chose the brand because a close friend of mine from the military swore by the G-Shock watches. He was deployed to Iraq a few times and said him and many of the older soldiers used them, and that they were rock solid. I wanted a watch that was:

- Water resistant
- Shock proof
- Self powering (solar)
- Had a built in compass
- Was built well

I can safely say that it was built well is shock proof, water resistant, and that the built in compass works ok, but I wouldn't do any navigating with it.

The temperature measurement is highly inaccurate. You have to take the watch off of your wrist and let it sit in the elements for a good 20+ minutes to get a somewhat accurate temperature reading.

The major issue I have with the watch is the battery life. It's speced as giving 8 months of battery on a full charge. When I first received the watch I got it up to full charge and it only lasted me roughly 2 months. Since then the battery life hasn't been great. I've charged it up to "medium" two or 3 times now and the watch has died on me twice. No every night I set the watch on my lamp so that it charges extra before I go to bed and while I get ready in the morning. This seems to keep it from dying, but I was under the impression it would charge from normal daylight during my daily activities. (It is exposed to light a good 8ish hours of the day already). This is just a bit frustrating since I've purchased $20 watches 5 and 6 years ago that are still chugging along on the original battery.

Over all the watch is definitely solid and could take a pretty hard beating, but if the purchasing point is because of the solar option, or the temperature reading you should probably look elsewhere.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was surprised when the watch arrived today. I'm stationed at a remote outpost in Afghanistan and it kind of made my day.
I've always owned G-Shocks and have been slowly making my way up to their top of the line watches. By far, this is the most advanced watch they have. I calibrated the thermo/compass and shazaam! It's excellent. I definitely recommend this watch to anyone who needs function and fantastic form.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2011
rock solid gshock, mud buttons take a little extra pressure, but very waterproof. Compass is quick and alarm is loud. Numbers are bright, size is perfect for larger wrists, not too thick, but heavy feel.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2014
EDIT 12/01/14:
I received the replacement watch on 11/15/14. It arrived on High charge, which was a great sign of things to come. After two weeks of wearing the watch 24/7, and exposing it to nearly zero sunlight, it fell to Medium. The next day, I left it sitting in a window for approximately four hours. That was enough to get the battery back to High. Here we are, a little over two weeks later, and it's still on High. I will try and let it run down to Low before charging it again, and shall report back with my findings.

EDIT 11/13/14:
I have owned the watch a little over four weeks now and have discovered that the battery isn't charging properly. It has three battery level indicators - Low, Medium, and High. As I understand it, a full charge on this watch should last nearly eight months. After several days perched in a window, receiving direct sunlight for hours on end, it will not charge beyond Medium, and even that only lasts about two days. One night I even noticed that it took itself from Low back up to Medium despite getting no sunlight whatsoever. I am in the process of returning the watch now, and will provide updates as they become available.

Original Review 11/5/14:
It was a toss up for me between the G-9300-1 and a GW-9300-1JF, and I just picked up this G-9300-1 about a few week ago. It's listed at 53x51mm, and 18mm tall. With the exception of the atomic time setting, my 9300-1 is the same as the 9300-1JF, as far as I can tell. I can honestly say that my 9300-1 is now the largest watch in my collection. From the top-down, looking at the face of the watch, it doesn't look awful on my 8.25" wrist. From the side/profile, however, there is no getting around how massive it is.

I've been wearing it since receiving it, and I mostly like it. I bought the piece as an "end of the worth, SHTF" watch. I wanted something rugged as hell, waterproof, and solar powered. I opted not to get the 1JF because I couldn't find any documentation about what would happen should the 6 towers go down - as well as to save $150. There are a few things about the watch that I am not happy with, though (besides how tall it is).

This is in no way meant to keep you from making the same purchase, but rather a meager attempt to inform the masses of what I see as being flaws in the watch.

Issue 1:
SIG

I'm not even sure what SIG stands for, but I know what it does. If enabled, it chirps on the hour (1200, 1300, et al.). My problem with it is where the setting for it is located. It's not just within the alarm settings, it's the first setting therein. So, if you want to set an alarm, you have to cycle through the different modes to the alarm mode, then cycle past the SIG setting to your alarms. That doesn't make any sense to me; it'd be better suited being within the normal settings, found by holding the Adjust button while in the normal time mode.

Issue 2:
The backlight.

It is impossible to keep the backlight illuminated while switching through the different modes. If it's dark out, you have to switch modes, then hit the backlight button to see if you've found yourself at the desired mode. If not, switch modes again and check once more.

The backlight is also a bit worthless when setting timers/alarms. Suppose it's dark and you want to set a new timer, for example. You'll be doing some trial and error to get the correct time entered. Let's say I already have a timer set up for 59 minutes, and I want to set a new timer for 50. I'd have to navigate my way to the timer mode (hitting the backlight button along the way to find it). Then I would take note of the already set timer so I know if I need to go up or down. Next, you're forced to wait for the backlight to go off. Once it's off, hold the Adjust button for a few moments so you can manipulate the time. Now you're completely in the dark because the backlight button changes the hours/minutes down (logic says it should change it up, but that's besides the point). So, hit the mode button once to switch from hours blinking to minutes blinking (and hope that the button press worked), then hit the backlight button 9 times to drop the minutes from 59 to 50. Press the Adjust button again to set the time, and the backlight button to check your work. If the correct time is entered, you have to wait for the backlight to go off before before activating the newly set timer. Once it's activated, you can press the backlight button again to confirm that it is counting down.

Want to set an alarm while you're in the dark? Repeat the whole process outlined above.

Issue 3:
The compass and temperature.

If you hit the compass button, it brings up the current bearing and temp. The bearings are pretty accurate so long as you keep your wrist in the Goldilocks position; the case of the watch must be perfectly horizontal, otherwise you can see fluctuations as large as 100°. Variations on case levelness as little as 5° of pitch can change the bearing up to 10°, I've found.

Second, out of the box, the temperature is wildly inaccurate if you're wearing the watch. In order to see correct temperature readings, I had to take the watch off and let it sit for about 15 minutes. That is simply unacceptable in most situations. However, it does have the ability to readjust the temperature, adding or subtracting as many degrees as you like. I found my watch to be pretty consistently off by about +10°F, and lowered it accordingly. This seems to have done the trick for the most part. The problem I see with this is that my skin's temperature will vary slightly in an effort to regulate my body temperature, thus rendering my adjustment ineffective at times (Is it winter or summer? Am I indoors or outdoors?)

Third, while you can have the backlight on when entering Compass mode, the backlight acts kind of wonky within it. When in Compass mode, pressing the backlight button doesn't simply activate the backlight, but also freezes the current bearing for five seconds (backlight only stays on for max of three seconds, mind you). If it hasn't yet detected the bearing/temp when you hit the backlight button, it freezes the display on, well, nothing. For five seconds. Let's say it's dark and you're facing S, but want to face ENE. You pull up your watch, level it off as best you can, enter Compass mode, wait a few seconds for it to detect the bearing, then hit the backlight button to view it. Adjust your heading/position accordingly, making sure to wait at least five seconds for it to clear out the previous bearing, and then hit the backlight button again. If successful, good for you. If not, rinse and repeat.

Fourth, and most irritating, the watch doesn't maintain bearing/temperature reading, nor does it reset after viewing the bearing/temperature. It takes about two seconds for the watch to detect and display the bearing/temp. You only have 18 seconds left to view it, before it times out and goes blank. It doesn't change back to the time mode. It just... goes blank and stays that way until you do something else.
________________________________________________________

By listing the issues, I do not mean to deter you from purchasing your own piece. I think it's a great watch for what it is and what it costs, and it's damn-near perfect for why I bought it. I will just have to learn to live with its flaws!
on April 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Good bang for buck and very solid watch. I was on the ropes about ordering the solar/atomic, but the atomic feature on a quarts was not worth the extra $100+ to me. Easy to configure as long as you read the manual. I wanted a good, solid "beater" watch and this fits the bill and then some (almost looks too good to abuse... almost...) I will put it through its paces over this summer, but it looks like it will handle anything I throw at it.

The watch is pretty big, but does not feel like a brick and wears comfortably. If you have a smaller wrist, you may want to try one to see if it fits you.

Of course shortly after buying it, I saw Suunto is about to release a Suunto Core Alu Deep Black, so I might have to order that one just for varieties sake as the Suunto is a bit more "Office Friendly" and casual looking, but no regrets whatsoever about getting the Mudman.

ETA 8/3/2013

Still going strong after putting it through it's paces and then some, while my Suunto eats batteries like they are going out of style. From compass to cooking timer, this watch has not failed me once. If Casio is listening, please make an ABC watch in this casing/style!
on August 15, 2014
Verified Purchase
I purchased this watch only a few months ago, and it was a great workhorse of a watch that I enjoyed, until it met its match. I put this watch to the test as a "mudman" by taking it kayaking, mountain biking, falling on it through dirt, mud and grime, covering it in sunscreen, soap, oil, and generally abusing it every day. It held up day after day and continued to work flawlessly (albeit a bit dirtier than when new), until it met its match in the form of a SUV driver in a parking lot one afternoon.

I set the watch on the side of my truck bed, as I always did, while I put on sunscreen. I would normally throw the watch back on my wrist afterwards, but one faithful afternoon, I unfortunately forgot. About a quarter mile down the road, I realized I had left it on the edge of the truck bed, so I doubled back to see if I could find the watch somewhere on the road or in the parking lot. Knowing that it was a G shock Mudman, one of the toughest G's in history, I knew if I could just find it, it would be okay - after all, it would be able to stand up to a car running it over, right?

As I continued down the road, I still didn't see the watch anywhere, and had almost given up hope, until I saw it right where I had pulled out of my parking space. Lo and behold, it was still intact right where I had left it in the middle of the parking lot lane! I was about to hop out of the truck right there to pick up the watch, but decided to let the SUV driver behind me pass before I got it, so I parked the truck, and hopped out to go grab it from the middle of the parking lot. As I began walking over towards the watch, time started to move in slow motion as I looked on in horror as the white SUV driver continued forward - directly in the path of the Mudman, until...... CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUNCH. My heart shattered along with my G shock face as I had to "watch", like a mother watching her child be run over, my fancy new mudman be destroyed.

This was a pretty solid watch that kept time very well and was solar powered. The only complaint I have about this watch, besides it's lag of true "g shock" durability, was it's like of an atomic time keeping feature. This would have been a 4 star watch, but it failed me when I needed a G Shock most, so I leave it with two stars. I am still a G shock customer, and will be looking at purchasing a Rangeman to replace this watch (since it has an atomic feature). Let's hope I don't put it in the path of any SUV's this time....
review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love the watch. Even though it is not a ladies watch, it isn't so terribly big to look ridiculous on my wrist. I needed a watch with these type features and ladies watches just don't offer the same features as a man's watch. I use all the features on the watch and there aren't any features that I have not used like so many of my past watches. What intrigued me the most was the solar powered. I hate having to replace watch batteries and they never seem to last long. I have not had any issues with this watch running low on power and seems to be holding a constant charge even though I do wear long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts most of the time. It was easy to set up and the instructions were clear and easy to follow.
on August 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
I bought this watch as a birthday gift for my husband. He has worn a G-Shock watch for about 14 years now and most likely won't wear anything but G-Shock ever again. I was a bit concerned that he wouldn't like this new watch because he's so comfortable with the old one. But he likes the Mudman G-Shock quite well and is impressed with all the features, especially the thermometer and moon phases. It only took a couple minutes to get the time and date set properly. It is a very sharp looking watch and looks much better than the old, worn-out one he was wearing!
on August 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
Love it. Especially the auto-off feature at night to preserve battery and the alarm beeps about Five times then stops.

Size is good. I have a big wrist and it fits comfortably with about 4 empty spots to wear loosely and 5 spots when I sinch it down snug for mountain biking and chores.

Battery holds charge very well too.

This replaced an older Casio that I wore and broke face on.
on August 31, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love G Shock and this watch is now my second. It came in a very timely manner. It looks and works just as expected. GREAT! I use this watch as my everyday casual watch and I could not be happier with all the little gadgets it has. I still have some trouble reading the compass but that is not on the watches fault.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations