4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Watch; bad lighting.
I'll start with the positives:

Published on November 11, 2010 by Huy Phan

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the $$
Good looking watch, easy to program ect but if you want to read it in the dark you will have problems. The red hour hand is un detectable in the dark and the light will not shine enough to see it.
Published 7 months ago by Power plant builder

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Watch; bad lighting., November 11, 2010
I'll start with the positives:

It's straight-up BEAUTIFUL. This is my first watch purchase that was above the $25 Wal-Mart threshold and I don't regret it for a second. I'm in love with its engineering beauty and its durable materials. The features are great (even if I don't plan on using the extra two dials). The face of the watch is exactly as described: X Large. It dwarfs my old geeky calculator watch, and I feel like I'm wearing a behemoth on my little wrist. The red and black provide a rather appealing contrast and I'm glad I purchased this over the all-black model. I'm sure it'll be attracting a lot of looks once I go back into schooling.

Now for the bad:
The LED Backlight is TERRIBLE. One pro my old watches had: a blue LED backlight option. It illuminated the entire display and checking the time was no problem.
This watch however, uses a yellow LED lighting option, and the lighting shines from the bottom of the display, thus causing shadowing all throughout the interior. This makes the digital display difficult to read (and I personally HATE yellow lighting), so you have to depend on mostly the analog hands in dark situations.

Overall: If the lighting con does not bother you, this watch is a solid purchase.
From a past reviewer it seems the White option is a little better for low-light situations, and it's obvious the Black model is great for low-lighting with its white digits in front of a black background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Watch, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
The product is over all my expects , it arrived before they said and works real good ! you can use it everyday and has a lot of gadgets.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS WATCH HAS A SECRET......., March 9, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
I got this watch for Christmas '10. I own four other G-Shocks (DW-5600E, GW-500A, G-7700, G-8000) so I know about the style, reliability, and durability of these watches. What I didn't know about this GA-100 is that IT CAN MEASURE SPEED!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I read the manual to find out all its features. It has a mode wherein you enter a given distance (like a speed trap) and measure how fast it takes an object to go that given distance. It will then tell you on the small dial in the middle of the watch how fast that object was going!!!!!!!!!!!! I see no practical use for this (unless you're a police officer lol) but it's cool anyhow. I will agree with another reviewer about how poor the back-lighting is, but thats it!! This is a nice addition to my growing G-Shock collection!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the $$, April 21, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product from Casio, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
Love this product very rugged and stylish at the same time. As usual it comes with the proven reliability of Casio . Would recommend this product to all my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Watch, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch for my son on his birthday, (his request). It has a large face and it's a casio. Just what he wanted. I recommend it. Casio is tough as nails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch-hands not reflective, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
After much anticipation, I recieved my Casio GA100-1A G-Shock X-Large watch. Of course my wife's first reaction was, "Don't you have enough watches already?" Yeah, I admit it, I'm a watch fanatic. Probably have a dozen watches that run the gamut from battery operated, self-wind, Eco-drive, etc., etc. I don't buy 'cheap' watches either.

The first thing that stands out the most on this watch is that it lacks any reflective material on the hands (hour and minute). Whoever engineered this watch missed a big point by not coating the hands with something that would illuminate in the dark. The yellow light doesn't help either as yellow on red (color of the hour hand) turns black and against the black face of the watch, it disappears into the face.

The watch case is X-Large, but I'm a big guy so it looks good on me, at least that's what my wife says. If you're a small-wristed person (I've seen women wear large watches also) the watch will be huge on your wrist. Of course today that's considered a fashion statement of some kind. It's the largest watch I (now) own.

I like the World Time feature as we travel quite a bit (wife works for the airline industry) and it's easy to push a button and lock in the time zone for wherever we are. Haven't used many of the other features (timers, count-down timers, etc.), but the watch is easy on the eyes and easy to read.

Overall, I'd give this watch a rating of 6 on a scale of 1-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed! It's cool., December 20, 2011
Dustin Reiner (Gahanna, Ohio, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
I own several watches of all different types. I haven't purchased a sports watch in a while and needed a newer one.
I thought this was a cool watch when I ordered it and would probably only wear it occasionally, thinking this watch would be to big heavy and bulky.....I was mistaken. While it is big in size, it's actually very light and comfortable.
I wear a lot of suits for "dress" occasions and wear appropriate watches for the occasion, but I can see me slipping this watch in there occasionally. It's just a cool comfortable watch.

I think it's pretty durable and will be around for years to come. It's a pretty tough watch, and I'm tough on watches.

Ok, I'll have to sit down and actually learn all of its functions. It's just a cool watch! I'm happy with my purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, can be better, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
This watch looks awesome, one of the best watches in terms of looks and usage. The product manual is very user friendly and it took me less than 5 minutes to fully customize this watch. It is not even remotely fragile / delicate. Very trendy!!!

The only thing which can be improved is the hour hand. It is red in color and can not be easily spotted in the dark, even with the inbuilt light. My older g-shock watch had backlight and it made reading the watch in pitch dark so easy.

If this flaw is taken care of, then this watch will be nothing short of awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Descent Watch for the price, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch (Watch)
The small hand of the watch being red makes it a little more difficult to tell the time. The hands do not glow in the dark either. The light itself helps with that however. It would make sense to me to have the hands illuminated if you're going to have the hours glow in the dark. My home city is not listed on the watch. I would prefer Houston, San Antonio be available on it. I had to settle for New York and that set the time correctly even though I'm in Texas. Hopefully I won't have a problem when the time changes.

Casio Men's GA100-1A4 "G-Shock" Sport Watch