Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

on November 11, 2010
I'll start with the positives:

It's straight-up BEAUTIFUL. This is my first watch purchase that was above the $25 Wal-Mart threshold and I don't regret it for a second. I'm in love with its engineering beauty and its durable materials. The features are great (even if I don't plan on using the extra two dials). The face of the watch is exactly as described: X Large. It dwarfs my old geeky calculator watch, and I feel like I'm wearing a behemoth on my little wrist. The red and black provide a rather appealing contrast and I'm glad I purchased this over the all-black model. I'm sure it'll be attracting a lot of looks once I go back into schooling.

Now for the bad:
The LED Backlight is TERRIBLE. One pro my old watches had: a blue LED backlight option. It illuminated the entire display and checking the time was no problem.
This watch however, uses a yellow LED lighting option, and the lighting shines from the bottom of the display, thus causing shadowing all throughout the interior. This makes the digital display difficult to read (and I personally HATE yellow lighting), so you have to depend on mostly the analog hands in dark situations.

Overall: If the lighting con does not bother you, this watch is a solid purchase.
From a past reviewer it seems the White option is a little better for low-light situations, and it's obvious the Black model is great for low-lighting with its white digits in front of a black background.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2015
I liked the appearance of the watch previous to ordering it and upon receiving it, it met my expectations. The look is crisp and sharp. The functions all work as they should. The strap is soft and very flexible. I had read the previous reviews on the sub-par back-lighting and found it does lack functionality. One thing I would change is the red hour hand: it matches the rest of the watch nicely (fashion) but it is extremely difficult to see in low light (function). I'd be happy with the hour hand being the same colour as the minute hand, but that is a minor detail. The pricing on Amazon was half ($60) that of retail prices elsewhere. It's my first G-Shock and it's a keeper. I didn't think I'd order another sport/work watch with my Timex still working perfectly but the price and availability were too much to pass on. The World Time is going to be utilized on our upcoming Hawaii getaway. Shipping time was faster than I was advised.
review image
on July 25, 2014
I'm not entirely sold on the Terminator-Meets-Blade-Runner look of this watch. I bought it because it has all the features I wanted: analog/digital display, multiple alarms, timezones, hourly chime and durability. I don't mind that it's large. In fact, that becomes a selling point to me since the display is larger and easier to read.

This watch does everything and it does everything well. Except, that is, if you want to read the time. I realize that those who buy G-Shocks often do so for reasons of style and therefore aren't especially concerned at usability. But those who want to shoot a quick glance at their watch to get the time had better look elsewhere.

- Specific to this particular model, the hour and minutes hands are different colors. Worse still, the red on the hours hand is insufficiently contrasted with the black background; sometimes you just don't see it. In dim lighting, the problem grows worse, and with the LED light it is worst of all - like a total eclipse inside your watch face.

- In general, the watch faces of G-Shocks are very, very busy looking. There are too many visual elements vying for attention, some of which are of of questionable value.

This one is being returned. While I'll likely buy another model of G-Shock, it's going to have to be one with decent contrast between the hands and the background.
on February 4, 2015
I got my watch fast and is look great. Really happy love it thanks
review image
on February 28, 2015
I have had three of the same Timex Ironman watches over the years. The big problem that I had was that first the loop for excess band length would break--- that was easily remedied by using an o-ring to replace it. Then within a couple of months of that the band would always break. I have tried to find a replacement band without luck. Unfortunately the band has a non straight end that keys into the watch body which more or less prevents using an aftermarket band of any type. Plus I wanted something different.

So this time around (no pun intended!) I decided on finding a watch that I can get a band for and over the holidays I saw a G-Shock at a local store and it stuck in my mind. This is for a everyday watch that I wear and the functions that really matter are time and date--- the rest is just the proverbial "added bonus". So I could not decide between this one and the one that is all black--- so with free returns I bought both as well as one other to try out. The other was fine, but simply too small in diameter. Maybe when I was in my teens it would work, but as an adult--- just didn't look large enough. So I sat both this one with the red and the all black side by side. I kept using the functions and it really came down to reality--- I need to be able to see the face as easily as possible. So the all black that has all black lettering and the black inverted display on the digital part--- I know it will bother me over time and I will learn not to like it.

So I decided to keep this one. I do like the red accents and the buttons are clearly labeled plus the display may not be as sexy as the other in black, but it is easier to see all the time. And as far as the red hour hand being hard to see--- for me it is not a problem. I have made a point of looking at it at different parts of the day--- it is always normal to read. Yes the hands do get in the way of the digital readout at specific times of the day, but for me it is not a big deal.

Overall styling is great for a resin type watch and it feels good on my wrist. As far as size, it is almost exactly 2" from button to button on the diagonal and is about 1/2" thick. I thought it may have been too big, but it is just right. As far as price--- compared to some similar watches in the same range--- I will stick with the G-Shock. I have also ordered a spare band so that when it does eventually break--- I will have a spare ready to go.

For setup I never even read the book. Took less than 1-minute to do and the longest part was scrolling through the time zones and then remembering if we are on DST or not. As far as the backlight it is amber and factory set for 1-second. After reading another review on the all black version--- in the adjustment menu there is the option to change it to 3-second which I did. Again, easy to do and happy with it!
on February 27, 2012
The product is over all my expects , it arrived before they said and works real good ! you can use it everyday and has a lot of gadgets.
on March 9, 2011
I got this watch for Christmas '10. I own four other G-Shocks (DW-5600E, GW-500A, G-7700, G-8000) so I know about the style, reliability, and durability of these watches. What I didn't know about this GA-100 is that IT CAN MEASURE SPEED!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I read the manual to find out all its features. It has a mode wherein you enter a given distance (like a speed trap) and measure how fast it takes an object to go that given distance. It will then tell you on the small dial in the middle of the watch how fast that object was going!!!!!!!!!!!! I see no practical use for this (unless you're a police officer lol) but it's cool anyhow. I will agree with another reviewer about how poor the back-lighting is, but thats it!! This is a nice addition to my growing G-Shock collection!!!
on November 21, 2014
You certainly cannot go wrong with Casio. I have been using this watch under heavy conditions for several months now. Construction site, mountain biking, beach, pool, countryside, and I have never taken it off for any of these activities. COmpletely satisfied with my purchase. Easy to clean and very durable, this is a great every-day use watch.
on February 26, 2014
I am an engineer by trade and am constantly breaking my watches while at work. After using this for over 8 months it has held up to all the punishment I could give it, and it still works perfect.

Big thumbs up.. If your looking for style + Protection - this is your watch!
on March 26, 2014
Love this product very rugged and stylish at the same time. As usual it comes with the proven reliability of Casio . Would recommend this product to all my friends.