5.0 out of 5 stars The Zombie Apocalypse Watch
I have owned a number of watches;
Tag. Pretty watch,but I absolutely destroyed it.
Numerous Seiko Dive. Crystals always get scratched so bad you have to get them replaced.
Luminox. Numbering came off with bug spray. Strap broke and it ended up getting destroyed. Did not make it through Iraq.
Bertucci. Tough watch, bad wristband, impossible to get...
Published on September 19, 2012 by Gavin Hutchins

3.0 out of 5 stars The truth about the negative LCD display
Published 14 months ago by stevenmh

5.0 out of 5 stars The Zombie Apocalypse Watch, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GW2310FB-1CR G-Shock Shock Resistant Multi-Function Watch (Watch)
I have owned a number of watches;
Tag. Pretty watch,but I absolutely destroyed it.
Bertucci. Tough watch, bad wristband, impossible to get the battery cover off to replace battery.
Citizen Dive. Destroyed. Did not make it through my earlier deployments.
Suunto Summit. Great watch. Hated the fact I had to send back to get a new battery. At least I didn't destroy it. Made it through Iraq.
Timex Marathon. Awesome $35.00 watch that does everything you could ask it to do; alarm and time.

But....
I travel a lot to multiple time zones and climates so I need a watch that I have minimal interaction on changing time zones.
Some of the places I go to...not easy to get watch batteries.
I need accurate time - atomic clock.
Being solar powered means I don't really have to worry about keeping it powered.
Subdued characters on the watch face does not attract attention. Back lighting also very subdued and short in duration.
Recessed watch face prevents scratching.
Resin case is very tough; takes a beating with only some scuff and gouge marks.

I usually always have a lensatic compass or GPS so a compass feature is not important.
I very rarely need an altimeter and usually if I have GPS or know my position on a map that info is generally more accurate than my watch.

I paid $119.00 for the G Shock.

In case you haven't figured it out...I need to quit destroying watches......

3.0 out of 5 stars The truth about the negative LCD display, October 11, 2013
I debated over this watch and the GW2310-1, which is the same watch but with chrome inner bezel, white lettering, and positive LCD display. I saw the reviews stating that the GW2310FB is hard to read, but there are just as many people saying it's fine. I looked at Google images, and some shots made the digits look dim and washed out, while others looked fine and easy to read. I chalked it up to differences in cameras and lighting conditions. In the end I really liked the blackout style and decided to give it a try.

I can confirm that the LCD *is* difficult to read under many lighting conditions.

Let's be clear... there are no circumstances under which you won't be able to tell the time. Get the watch close enough to your face and/or at the right angle, and you'll be able to read it even in dim light. If all else fails, it's extremely easy to read with the backlight on, which can be configured to come on automatically with turning your wrist in low light.

However, I couldn't get past having to make extra effort to read my watch. Sitting on the couch watching TV, glance down at my watch wherever my wrist happens to be resting, and I can't read it. Flick my wrist to get the light to come on, and maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't, flick it a little harder, or just go ahead and move my arm to where I can read it. Outside in the shade, glance down, too dim to read easily but too light for the Auto EL to kick in, have to move my arm to get it at a distance and angle that's readable. So, in the end, I *did* figure out what time it was, each and every time. I'll agree with the reviews that say if you have normal vision it's readable. What they don't mention is that it's not readable under all the same distance, angle, and lighting conditions as a positive LCD display and the ability to just quickly glance at your watch is lost.

The other thing to note is that the Casio promo photos are doctored. The product image makes the digits look very white, bright, clean, high contrast. Even under the best lighting conditions and just the right angle this isn't what it looks like. Under those conditions, it's perfectly legible, and I'd go so far as to say it looks good. If it looked like that under ALL conditions I'd have no problem with it. But the digits are more of a yellow/tan for lack of a better color descriptor, and even at their absolute best they're still dimmer and lower contrast than what you see in the product image. The absolute best does not occur often, and the readability goes downhill quickly when conditions are not optimal. If you buy this watch, you should not expect to see the product image when you look at your wrist. Do a google search for this model, and look at the photos with washed out displays. That is what you need to be able to live with. The bottom line is that every time I looked at it I felt like I was wearing a watch with a low battery, and felt a little silly whenever the extra wrist gymnastics were required to read it.

In the end, it boils down to form over function. The blackout style IS cool. Whether it's cool enough to warrant the reduction in readability is a personal preference. For me it wasn't worth it, but I get it if someone else thinks it is. I wanted to like the watch, I really did. In fact, I liked it enough that I kept it, bought the GW2310-1, and then swapped the modules. So now I have a GW2310FB with a positive LCD display. Problem solved, I have the blackout styling but I can read it as easily as all my other watches. I'll note though, that the GW2310-1 looks better in hand than in the photos. The silver chrome doesn't stand out as much as I thought it would, the white lettering on the bezel isn't very bright, it's more washed out and subdued. If you're not inclined to buy two watches and swap internals, and readability is important to you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GW2310-1 over this.

I give this watch 3 stars because of the less than optimal display for this particular model. However, other than that issue, I'd give it, along with the other 2310 variants, 5 stars for form and features.

I hope this review is helpful to others who are trying to make sense of the mixed reviews on the readability of the negative LCD display. If it saves someone the hassle of a return, it was worth the time on my part.

I was going to upload an image of the GW2310FB with positive display swapped in, but that could be confusing to buyers since it's not what is being sold. Instead, I will link to the photos of the modified watch here:

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan, September 14, 2012
Just purchased this watch the other day after seeing a great review on YouTube. I have been looking for a stylish yet rugged digital watch for some time now and have happily settled on the GW2310FB-1. This is my first G-Shock and I have been very impressed thus far. The picture is a bit misleading in that the inner bezel is actually a reflective black, not silver or gray as it may appear. I'm big on black so this was a huge selling point for me. Features include a solar rechargeable battery, atomic time, 5 alarm settings, stopwatch, countdown, UTC time (allows you to quickly view the time in a specified time zone. For example, my time zone is MST but when viewing UTC time, I can also view the time in Paris, Japan, etc) and my favorite -- Auto El. When this feature is activated the display will automatically illuminate when you tilt your wrist towards you if you are in a dark enough environment. Very useful in my opinion.

I was hesitant to purchase the watch after reading some reviews about the negative display being hard to read but after seeing the watch in person that was no longer a concern. The display is certainly not as visible as some watches I've seen, but it is hardly unreadable. When viewing it directly (as one normally would with a wrist watch), I see no reason why someone with averagely decent vision should have a problem.

Overall, I love the watch so far. Looks great, has some very useful features and comes in at a pretty fair price in my opinion. Only four stars because I've only had the watch for 2 days so I can't comment on it's durability. It is a G-Shock though and by all accounts, the brand is known for it's toughness. Also I have yet to be able to hold a full charge for more than 10 minutes, even after a 18 hole round of frisbee golf in the middle of a sunny day. Not sure what that's about but I'll keep an eye on it. The band isn't the most comfortable I've used but it's by no means uncomfortable so I don't really consider it a fault. One thing that I do find slightly annoying is that the backlight will only stay on for a maximum of 3 seconds at a time and will only come on after depressing the light button (or turning your wrist if Auto El is activated). The negative display makes this watch difficult to read in dark environments. If you want to cycle through the modes in a dark room, you need to keep pressing the light button to see the display. Kind of irritating. Wish Casio could have implemented an auto backlight feature when pressing any of the side buttons when in a dark environment or at least offer longer durations of backlight times such as 5, 10 and 15 seconds. I'm sure there are reasons why they didn't that are probably related to battery life but I think the option should at least be there. Doing anything in low light other than viewing the time is really kind of a hassle. But overall I'm very satisfied. From my limited experience I'd definitely recommend it.

Edit: No problem getting it to fully charge, just needed some extended time in direct sunlight. Great watch, I'm lovin it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, Especially For The Price, April 16, 2014
I bought this watch for about $101. There's no way in hell I would have gotten it for $150 before, now that I've had a chance to use it for a while, I probably would forego my cheapness and buy it for $150 if that was the only price available. For $101, it's hard to find a watch that looks this great and has so many functions. Now that I'm done tooting Casio's horn, let me give you the CONS.

Con#1: The face has a bit of glare to it. It's so damn shiny that it is a pro as well as a con. The pro part is that it looks cool when you just wear it for style and your watch is flickering the light off the ceiling an what not. However when you try and read it, it can be a little hard to see. It doesn't make it impossible to read though. You can still read it through the glare. This con should not be a reason to dissuade you from getting this watch. I give a 8 out of 10 for visibility.

Con#2: instead of it having an AM + PM indicator, it just has small capital "P" to indicate PM. When the P is not there it means it is AM. Is this a big problem? Not really, unless you're trying to read what time it is on your watch from more that arms length. So if you have this thing on your night stand as an alarm, as long as it's not on the other side of the table farthest from you, you should be able to read it. This con is very minimal, it shouldn't dissuade you from getting the watch either. They had to do it this way in order to make room for the 24 hour format as well as the 24 hour timer which takes up a lot of space on the watch, so I can understand this design flaw and it doesn't present too much inconvenience to make the watch undesirable.

Con#3: The solar panels on the watch. They only line outer ring of the watch face. I would liked to have seen Casio cover every square centimeter of unused space with the solar panels. It would have given a greater surface area as well as less time spent charging. This is me just being nit picky now, but if another model comes out akin to this one I would really like to see this implemented.

Con#4: This one is purely about style and looks.
The black metal where the "G-Shock" logo is should have been placed throughout the entire watch. I would have like to the buttons made of out of this beautiful, metallic, black metal of which only makes up only a small portion of the watch. The Illumination button, Operation buttons, screws which hold it together, and the metal clasp should have been made out of this metal. I could also like to see the backplate where the metal touches the skin to have been made from this stuff. If you're gonna black it out then go all out, don't just stop at what we see on the surface. Come one Casio. Again this is me being nit picky. Still a great watch.

That about sums it up. If this watch made up for all the cons I described, I would pay over $150 for a watch that bad ass. Still a great watch and I think it is the greatest watch Casio has ever made. I'm just very picky. Definitely buy one if you want a watch that looks and feels great, accurate as hell too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I needed a newwatch for police work and decided against going the $10 ..., October 19, 2014
I needed a new watch for police work and decided against going the $10 timex that gets replaced every year. The only real complaint I kept seeing in reviews of this watch was that the display was hard to read. Those people must be blind. Direct sunlight, indoors, outdoors...while it's not as fast to pick up at first as a standard display, you don't have to hold the watch at any special angle. The display is crisp, clear, and easy to read. I did manage to hold it at a specific enough angle when messing with it I got it to glare to where I couldn't read it. In low light, it's still readable, and if it gets too dark, the backlight button is easy to find, and it has the auto light if you're into that kind of thing.

The next complaint I read often was that the band is too small, and the retaining band lets the tag end pop out often. I don't have huge wrists, and I could see where someone with large wrists would find the band small. My wrist measures 7" where I wear the watch, and I've got easily another inch of adjustment but not much more. It fits my wrist perfectly, but if your wrists are over 8", you may want to find another band. The retaining band did in fact slip up and let the tag free a few times. I put a tiny dot of superglue on the inside of the wrist band where I wanted the retaining band to stay. Problem solved.

The buttons are easy to press, and the watch is very intuitive to use. It comes with all the features I actually use, and gets rid of the display robbing features I never would, like altimeter, tidal phase, etc. Most of the time I just want the time and date, world clock, and a timer/stop watch. The mute option is nice. I've had no problems with the automatic sync to the atomic clock, though I had trouble getting it to manually sync. Not a big deal.

Overall, this is a great watch that looks amazing, and I have no complaints.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Band, and The Ugly., August 15, 2014
The Good, The Band, and The Ugly.

If you are thinking about buying this watch, slap yourself in the face, HARD. That is what you will want to do every time the band snaps out of its guard, (it only happens all the time). Seriously, they have made slight modifications to other G-Shock watch bands to prevent this from happening, why not address the known issue? I guess they figured, "nah..."

Style: OK, Love the watch's style and features, so, not so ugly.

The look of the watch is a sort of muted or subdued theme. It looks rugged enough. Maybe a bit too rugged where the top of your wrist meets the bottom of the body. I think they could have smoothed that portion out a bit. Not too big a deal I suppose, but not comfortable for sure.

Features: The good.

I have been wearing it for several weeks in the sun and I don't have an issue seeing the time. I like the auto Illumination feature that is motion driven at night. So you bring you watch up as if to look at it during low light situations, and it automatically lights up. That's pretty cool. It has some nice features. I like that the time can auto update. I have not had a chance to use all the features just yet.

Comfort: The Ugly

Not the most comfortable watch out there for sure. It's fairly big. It's not big in that it makes you feel like your are wearing a saucer on your wrist or anything, but the height of the body is something to take into consideration. The bottom of the body is a bit rough. There is a bit of a jagged portion close to the skin that will remind you, it is tougher than you are a few times. Maybe I will get a wrist callus and I won't notice it anymore. I play drums, so there is a fair amount of shock being delivered to both my hands and watch as it is thrust and slammed to a stop.

The band is just plain bad. It has been mentioned that it is a bit of a smaller band. This is true. I don't have very large wrists by any means, but I thought that maybe they sent me a kid's version, or maybe a women's watch. The long portion of the band that is supposed to be retained by the guard has a spot where it likes to come to rest. That spot is, right before it comes free and hangs to catch on... EVERYTHING!!! I will be doing something and flex my hand this way or that, and the movement of tendons are enough to set the band free. I feel like ripping it off sometimes and chucking it off into the world.

The Verdict: OKish... (I want to like it... but it's hard.)
This would be a great watch with a different band. Overall good features matched with questionable comfort deliver's a solid mediocre product that would be perfect for people with low expectations. They will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!
G.S.

2.0 out of 5 stars A watch!, December 12, 2012
T. Hunt (Watertown, New york USA) - See all my reviews
First, I purchased it,thinking the face would be lighter, my mistake! Beware this model is dark and hard to read!
Second the band is cheap, can't keep the strap in the loop. I've owned two g-stocks over the past 25 years they were fantastic watches, this one isn't even close to them!

1.0 out of 5 stars Believe me...watch face is very dark, May 6, 2014
The pictures of this watch lead you to believe that the face is readable..........maybe I got a bad watch, but the face is extremely dark and unreadable. The watch band is very short also. If you're a man over 190lbs, this probably won't fit and unless you want to put the watch up to your face to see what time it is, I stay away from the GW2310FB. The seller, Watch Universal, I bought this from will accept returns, but I have to pay to send it back. I thought for sure the ad said, Free Returns. Oh well, live and learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, rugged watch with minor issues., May 1, 2014
I like this watch immensely, but I want to like it more. What keeps it from getting a 5 star rating is the watch band. I also have the g-shock AWG M100B, and that watch has a magnificent band that never pops out. This band, however, never stays put. Had Casio only made the band slightly longer on both sides, this watch would garner an easy 5 star review based on its rugged good looks, consistently accurate time telling due to its habit of listening to the atomic clock in Colorado, and it's solar charging. These things make the watch nearly unassailable. It truly is a great-looking watch. The backlight comes on automatically in low light with the flick of the wrist, a very nice touch. There is a Japanese import version of this watch that comes with a black stainless steel band, but the price is prohibitive ($150.00 more Than this watch was!). My only other gripe is that the countdown timer doesn't have an automatic restart at 0:00 setting for timing regularly occurring events (like class changes every hour).

2.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but not bright enough for me., January 19, 2014
It is a good looking watch I love the negative display but it was very hard for me to read unless I was in a bright room or sunlighxt and especially difficult if there is glare or even your reflection. I have a couple of other g shocks with smaller negative displays and can read them fine. I was disappointed because I really liked this watch and all the features. I watched a few vids and looked at tons of pictures before I purchased it and all looked like it was bright eneough. There were a few other reviews that stated the same but most found it easy to read. Outdoors it is readable except for having glare. Hope this helps.