5.0 out of 5 stars SPECTACULAR timepiece...has everything you could want
Published on December 6, 2009 by J.H.

1.0 out of 5 stars If only it worked.
The watch arrived with a blank screen, which some exposure to the sun cured. But none of the functions worked. Couldn't set the time, couldn't use the stopwatch, couldn't do a thing. So I called Casio. I described the situation. Their advice: send it back. I said, "Does it need to be fully charged?" One rep said yes and that will take about three days of constant...
Published on July 27, 2011 by louienapoli

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECTACULAR timepiece...has everything you could want, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's GW6900-1 Tough Solar "G-Shock" Atomic Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
This is my first Casio watch and up until the time of purchase, I had been one of those "$5-$20 cheap-o sport watch" buyers. So if I were going to spend anything around $90 for a sport watch I would need to make sure it was worth the cost. After reading an article on a men's health/lifestyle website about fashion ([...], I think), they recommended the g-shock series by Casio since they offer a lot of functions and good quality for around $90. I found the GW6900-1 on sale for around $70 and I decided to buy it figuring I could always return it later if it didn't work out. Here are my observations on the two main selling points...

Design: The GW6900-1 is very basic. It's modeled off of the original DW6900 (Casio Men's G-Shock Classic Digital Watch #DW6900-1V) which is apparently G-Shock's best-selling case design. Personally, I feel that the numbers on the display are a little small. But I really like how it's not too crowded or junked up by unnecessary frills. The three circular dials above the time/day/date display are quite simple and indicate 1) the battery strength, 2) which functions are enabled (alarm, snooze alarm, hour signal beep, auto EL and button mute) and 3) a 10-second count indicator. The case/band isn't the sleekest looking - there are more modern styles out there - but it's not ugly by any means. Also, it's a little on the bulky side (doesn't exactly fit under a shirt cuff), but I don't feel it eats up my entire wrist. The 4 function buttons are easy to press and their labels are nice and straight-forward with alternate operations shown just inside the frame. Very easy to follow and operate.

Functions: The product description above pretty much lays out all the cool stuff this watch has going on for it, so I'll try not to be redundant here. I do want to highlight some of the operations that make this worth the price tag.
- Auto-EL (electro-luminescent): One thing that impressed me about this watch even before I put it on was the "smart" back-light. As I removed it from the box, I noticed the back-light come on. I thought something was wrong with it at first, but as I read through the manual I learned that this nifty function is *supposed* to happen. The watch's light turns on for about 1.5 seconds (or 3, your choice) in a dark room when you tilt your wrist towards your eyes without the need to press the button. How cool is that?! You can disable this to save on battery life if you want, but I doubt it's all that necessary. Which brings me to...
- Battery Life: This sucker is equipped with a solar powered battery that lasts up to 10 months on a full charge. Further exposure to light will keep it going and that goes for everything from direct sunlight, to light filtered through windows even to fluorescent lighting found in most buildings. Chances are good that given the amount of interaction most humans have with the sun or other light sources, you won't need to worry about this dying on you anytime soon. (That is unless you're a vampire or really into the goth scene.) Also, it has a power-saving mode you can apply that causes the watch to go into "sleep" mode during the hours of 11pm and 6am.
- Atomic Timekeeping: Like pretty much every cell phone, this watch calibrates time automatically. But it does it in 48 cities across 31 times zones all while taking daylight saving into account. And it runs about 5-6 times in the wee hours of morning just to make sure. (You can set time yourself too if you'd like.) Also, it's classified as multi-band 6 which means it automatically receives signals from pretty much every main radio point around the world (U.S., England, Germany, China and Japan).
- Waterproofing: This is probably a moot point, but I found it neat to learn that with a 20BAR/200M rating, you can pretty much use this while scuba diving.
- The rest: It's got 4 regular alarms and one snooze ("persistent") alarm. A stopwatch that lets you measure elapsed time, split time and two finishes. A countdown timer (which is a non-negotiable for me given that it comes in handy whether your cooking something or doing laundry). Full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099) and optional 12/24 hour formats.

That's about all I can really think of. I'm *extremely* pleased with my purchase and intend to have long, happy relationship with this watch!

*** REVIEW UPDATE ***
11/8/10 - A few months ago, I noticed that my watch was not holding a charge as well as it had during the first, several months of ownership. I was especially concerned when I encountered the flashing "LOW" battery indicator several times. Since there's no ideal place in my home to place the watch in sunlight to charge (lots of trees and bushes blocking windows), I would resort to setting it on my car dashboard when I went shopping or under a fluorescent lamp at work or home. Usually, this would bring the meter back up to (at least) medium strength. But the process would need to be repeated in 2-3 days. Frustrated, and thinking I picked the watch with a bad battery, I contacted Casio G-shock customer support and explained my predicament. Here is part of the response I received:

"...Solar G-Shocks must be charged, preferably using sun light rather than fluorescent lighting. You would have to leave it under the light for 73 hrs before it even reaches level one. The sun can charge it in about 17-23 hrs total. A watch that isn't charged will last about 9 months before flashing recovery. You can try letting it charge for 2-3 days, it is normal for the watch to stay on Med. If its on High and quickly goes to Low or flashes recovery, you may need to have the solar cell replaced...."

So apparently I was under the impression that charge times were far shorter than what the customer service rep told me (the result of a gross underestimation found in the instruction manual that comes with the watch). Thankfully and happily, I can report that after 3-4 days of leaving my watch in my car to charge during an 8-hour workday, the battery level indicator is once again showing a level 3 (high) charge.

I felt the need to share this update since there may be other users/potential customers who find themselves in a similar situation. (I noticed at least one very negative review which may have been prompted as such). Bottom line, you may need to be patient to get the results you expect from this timepiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must have G Shock!, October 21, 2009
If you are new to G Shock watches then this is where you should probably start. I just got this watch (shipping was extremely quick) but have always been a fan of G's. It is a Solar Atomic, Matte Black watch with dozens of timezones pre-programmed in. The look and feel of this watch is enough to sell me but the idea of a somewhat endless battery (solar powered) and automatic sync every night is what really made me get this one. I am going into the military and will be traveling all around the world and the peace of mind knowing that I won't have to do much of anything but look down at my watch for the time is going to be nice.

Pros: great design, comfort, layout, simplicity, all black, solar, automatic sync, indestructable, 80 bucks is a steal for this watch
Cons: the indigo is bright, but it only lights up the time box & indicator spheres; not the entire face much like a dual illuminator would

5.0 out of 5 stars first Casio - and love it, December 19, 2009
Have worn Nike watches for years for working out. They look nice but are pricey, don't have tons of useful features, aren't the most durable, and show their age very quickly. The glass face on my latest one cracked (the watch actually lasted for six years, not too bad for Nike), and rather than stick with the same brand, I decided to check out what was out there that might be a better value. I came upon the Casio G-Shock series, did some googling and other research and found that there's quite a following for these watches. Decided to order this watch and give it a test run, it has all of the features I'd actually utilize, and at a phenomenal price. I've now had it for a month and have put it thru the ringer, so to speak. Swimming, running, biking, dish-washing, etc etc - Love it so far. I've also decided to make it my official travel watch (travel for work quite a bit) and love the auto sync feature, multi-alarms are great as well. The solar power is also a great feature, the battery has yet to go below the "full" setting. It's a big watch, but light and has a relatively low profile so it doesn't constantly snag shirt sleeves. And I've received quite a few comments on the watch's looks as well. Good find - I'm now hooked on the G-Shocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch at a great price, October 21, 2009
I bought this watch to supplement my dress watches. I use it when cycling and hanging out on weekends. It has also become my official vacation watch. I love the solar and atomic feature and I think that this was a key function for me. It auto adjusts when I travel and it also charges with solar power so that the battery can last for a real long time. The watch is big but not heavy or bulky. It is very comfortable.

I recommend this for someone needing a watch that always needs to work regardless...

Highly recommended...

Amazon free shipping took 3 days in the US!

4.0 out of 5 stars GW6900- Great watch but..., July 16, 2010
This three-eyed monster has classic lines and modern technology.

Pros:
-Great style
-Comfortable; makes its presence known on your wrist without being too bulky
-Accurate- Atomic receiver
-Solar powered

Cons:
-just nit-picking, but the current time does not show when you're in the other modes.

I have all great things to say about this watch, but the one disappointment I had was the fact that it does not show the current time during the other modes.
I also own the white GWM5600, AWG101, and the GW9200 (Riseman) is shipping as I am writing this review. The GWM5600 shows the current time in the upper right box during TR/Alarm; The AWG101 is an ana-digi which always has the current time on its face. It is when I wear this watch that I feel that there is something lacking that should be a basic feature.
I use the TR function all the time for work and it helps that a watch display both information.

A good way to know exactly what you're getting is to check out the manual from the Casio website and see if it has everything that you're looking for in a watch (search by module #). That's how I decided to get the GW9200 over the GW7900B-1.

5.0 out of 5 stars SImple, rugged, what a bunch consider THE gshock style., July 21, 2012
I have the non-solar/atomic version of this watch but meh, it's boring, tough, and tells time. I have THIS watch with an optional composite band and it's pretty much a tie between this watch and my 9300 Mudman. (see my review for that watch) This watch is ultra tough, no frills, tells time, solar operated, atomically synced, and easy to use. Nothing confusing about navigating through this watch. If you're familiar with ANY G-Shocks then this is a breeze to use. Timer, multiple alarms, DST and dual time zones come standard. If you want a plain, tough watch, that the battery is not an issue (provided you have an open window that has sunlight at least 3-4 hours a day when you choose not to wear it)then pick this one up. You won't be sorry. I own 4 gshocks, this one like I said is tied for my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gshock lives up to its name, February 24, 2010
firefighter (worcester mass) - See all my reviews
I am a firefighter and this watch has gone into some high temp environments, and I had the pleasure of having to lay down my motorcyle, and the watch took some pavement friction: I still wear it today: just a little scuff. Good, solid, indestructible hockey puck of a watch

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch, recommended., November 2, 2009
I'm new to the Casio watches in general, but, being a fan of all kinds of timepieces, I recently took the plunge. This was my first digital watch purchase, and it's led me picking up a few more G-Shocks already. Other reviewers describe the GW-6900 sa a good place to start with the brand and I can agree. This one is a good representation of all things G-Shock including the classic styling and modern fuctions. It's a winner in all aspects. Nice looking, easy to use as well as comfortable and functional. I'm not big on using all of the G-Shock features, but it does keep perfect time due to the atomic capabilities, and I like the illumination feature. It synchs up with the atomic signal without problem as needed even though I live in an apartment building in NYC, and the solar battery keeps it's charge with minimal exposure to light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic G-Shock with modern specs, November 9, 2009
This is my 3rd G-Shock and first in the tough solar/atomic series. I bought this model because of looks and features. Has just what I need and no useless features. The watch is large but light and wears well. The solar and atomic feature work perfectly. It came with the wrong time zone for my area and I was able to manually sync the watch according to instructions with no problems. There are really no cons to the watch thus far and I'd recommend this model to those who like the bigger style and are thinking about the solar/atomic features. It's classic G-Shock all the way!

*Update It's been nearly 2 years since getting this watch and it deserves a long term review. The watch has been perfect. It has always stayed fully charged with minimal direct exposure to sunlight. I haven't had the slightest desire to purchase another watch after getting this. The only modification I have made is a nice Maritac 3 ring nylon watch band. You simply can't go wrong with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch i have owned., December 13, 2011
This watch is by far the best iv'e owned. It's comfortable, durable, solar and atomic. Looks and feels great. The modes are easy to remember after you read the few instructions. It has an auto illuminate feature that makes the watch glow when you bring it up to your face to read it. It also has a battery life indicator.

All in all a great watch for action sports, or just normal, every day use.

ARRAY(0x9f987d80)