5.0 out of 5 stars A great do just about everything watch.
Published on May 19, 2010 by Craig

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch - But failed early and CASIO repair is a disaster
Nice attractive watch. I really like the solar power and atomic timekeeping and the unique look for me was a plus. Of course, as others have mentioned, it is difficult to read under low-light conditions, but that was something I was willing to put up with for the unique look of the watch.

Unfortunately, contrary to my very positive experiences with previous...
Published on December 19, 2011 by Gilbert L. Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars A great do just about everything watch., May 19, 2010
Craig (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
I have had the GW7900B for a year and a few months now, and I am very happy with it. The watch is all black, and the digital face is inverted so that it is black with light gray for the numbers. That means the watch is pretty much all black, which is a very nice look. The inverted digital face does make it a little tough to read in low light situations, but the G button just below the watch face lights up the time, date and other information with the same kind of indiglo effect that I have had for years with Timex Ironman watches. The lighting effect makes this watch easy to read at any time. You also have the option to have the lighting effect happen with the turn of you wrist so you can see the watch information without having to push a button. This is a large watch. The body of the watch is almost 3/4 of an inch thick, which is the thickest watch I have come across. While it is a large watch, it is very light, because most of the body is plastic. The face of the watch is scratch resistant, and it is recessed into the watch about a quarter of an inch, so it is well protected.

The watch is loaded with features. 1) The time is set every night through radio signals from an atomic clock. Every night at a few minutes after midnight the watch will try to update the time from the atomic clock. If it is unable to update the time, then it will try again every hour through the night until it gets an update. This makes the watch very accurate. It has been off by less than half a second from any of my other atomic clocks or the atomic time that you can get over the internet. This will be the most precise watch you will probably ever own. 2) The battery on the watch is recharged by solar panels in the watch face. The fully charged battery is supposed to be able to last about nine months without a recharge, but the solar panel in the watch face picks up a charge in direct or indirect sunlight keeping the watch battery topped of unless you hide in a dark room all day. When I first received the watch the battery indicator showed the battery was a little low. I put the watch in indirect sunlight by setting it on a table by a window that the sun does not shine through. About 3 hours later I checked on the watch, and the battery was fully charged. Since then the battery has remained fully charged with just the partial sunlight the watch gets from me commuting to work. So I don't expect any battery problems. A cool feature for those of you who may not use the watch for a while, it turns off late at night and will not turn back on until you pick it up. So the battery does not drain much if you do not use the watch. 3) I travel across the country for work, and the watch is very easy to reset to other time zones. It also has a world time feature that lets you check the time in every time zone around the world just by clicking through the different zones. 4) Like just about every digital watch this one also has a stop watch. The stop watch capabilities are not as thorough as sports watches. For example, you can get a split time, but you wouldn't be able to take several split times like you could with a Timex Ironman watch. 5) The watch has a countdown timer so you can let yourself know when you need to stop what you are doing and move on to the next thing. 6) There is an alarm function that allows you to set four alarms and one alarm with a snooze feature. 7) The watch shows the phase of the moon and where tide is. 8) The watch is water resistant to 20 bar, which converts to something like 170 meters. So you can pretty much wear the watch in most underwater conditions you will find yourself.

So to wrap things up, this is turning out to be a great watch for me. It is super accurate, does not look like it will ever need a battery change, and looks really nice. I recommend it, and I would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Navy SEAL opinion, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
Me to larger-than-life Navy SEAL: "hey we wear the same watch!"

Him: "yeah yours is better though, it's got these raised screw heads."

Me: "oh those are just for show, people on Amazon even complain about them."

Him: "no... see, if you wear it on the inside of your wrist like me, it's a great weapon when you attack the face. I learned that while boxing in Brazil. Glancing blows scratch near the eye and blind the opponent."

Me: "you obviously shop differently than I do."

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch - But failed early and CASIO repair is a disaster, December 19, 2011
Gilbert L. Braun (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)

Unfortunately, contrary to my very positive experiences with previous G-shock watches I've owned, this one broke within two months of purchase. Hence my rating.

Now, for additional background information ... I sent the watch to CASIO for repair and that's where my troubles continue.

A week or so after I sent the watch in for repair (they have one central repair facility on the East Coast), I learned they could not repair my watch. No surprise. But I also learned they did not plan to send me a like replacement. Instead, they offered me three potential substitute replacement watches. I was surprised with that, since the watch is still listed for sale on CASIO's website, but apparently they didn't have one in stock at their repair facility, and they were hoping I'd go for their substitute.

However, the substitutes they offered did not have similar features (none were solar powered and none had the automatic timekeeping function). Further, all were substantially cheaper watches. In other words, they were not suitable subsitutes. To make a long story short, I'm still working with CASIO repair, after four phone calls and one FAX, trying to get resolution on my watch repair problem.

Bottomline ... so far CASIO warranty has been pretty meaningless. Hopefully that will resolve

UPDATE: I finally convinced CASIO repair that the substitutes they offered were not suitable, and after about three weeks, they agreed to find me an exact replacement. They made it sound like they were doing me a favor, rather that providing a guarantee, but as long as I got the watch replaced, I didn't care. The replacement watch is working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different G-Shock, February 3, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
Received this watch earlier this week, very different from the traditional watches. The reverse LCD display is a bit difficult to set in low light as you can not do setting functions and see the display while lit. Still the display is easy to read other times in low light by just hitting the light really just an issue of getting use to it. The case is a bit larger than say a 2300 series Casio but not by much, it fits under the cuffs of most but not all of the dress shirts that I have at least. This model seems to receive the atomic clock signal better than the others I have (GW800 and PA1300). Buttons are very easy to manipulate but set in the case in such a manner I have yet to accidentally activate them. All in all a very nice piece and for someone wanting something different than the normal digital G-Shock I highly recommend it. It does have a high profile on the wrist though so if thats a concern there is always the old stand-by 5600 series watches that refuse to die that do have a much lower profile. Hopefully no bugs will avail themselves over the longer term.

5.0 out of 5 stars First G-shock, and it's awesome (UPDATES), December 19, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
I've owned a Tag for over a decade, and recently started expanding my collection (which includes some nice automatics). All this means nothing other than to tell you my frame of reference in getting this G-shock. I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to either this one or the GD100-1B. I went with the GW7900B-1 and it is just fantastic.

Many of the other reviews will give you the specs, so I'll just touch on points that worried me that didn't pan out. First, the size: It's a large watch but not stupidly so. I've seen some Sunntos that look like a pie plate. Even on my medium-sized wrist this watch looks good, not overpowering. And I have to say it's THE most comfortable watch I own. The little wings on the back are a work of engineering genius.

I've had zero issue with the four screws. I think they look great. I suspect that some people abuse this watch and the screw issue (coming out) has been overblown.

Readability: I thought the negative (mostly black) display would be hard to read. Not the case. And it looks sharp. Great backlight, too.

Finally, I was a little worried about the solar power, b/c I don't wear mine every day. But I have yet to have it come off of the highest level of charge.

In short, I am a HUGE fan of this G-shock. I purchased this intending to buy another one to add to my rotation, but I like this watch so much I can't imagine not wearing it. Highly recommend!

UPDATE: I've owned this G-Shock for about 6 months now and has absolutely become my go-to watch. Super comfortable and useful. I don't baby it- I'll wear it to do anything, and it looks as good as the day I got it. I've never had the solar power indicator fall under the "High" mark and the atomic clock syncs every night without issue. There really isn't a single thing I dislike about this watch, and I'm pretty picky! :) My only concern is that someday, whenever it's time to replace this one, I hope I can find an identical model. But at the rate things are going that it doesn't look like I will be in that boat anytime soon.

UPDATE #2: Over a year later, this thing is bulletproof. Worn almost daily, in all conditions, and it hasn't missed a beat. The atomic clock function syncs almost every night. On the rare occasion it misses a night it will always sync up the next night. I would love to get another G-Shock to add to my collection but there's no reason to, I just like this watch too much. It's insanely comfortable and looks good even with business casual dress. My only gripe: my other watches (including my expensive TAG) get very little wear anymore. I will wear this until it falls off and then buy another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with a catch..., February 28, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
Really like the look and size, I frequently work at night and sleep during the day, this watch needs light to charge so it can be difficult to keep it fully charged. It does not like indoor/artificial light but charges fine in sunlight, very odd.

Other than that it is a G-shock. I looked at a bunch of other watches and once again got a G as they are extremely reliable and tough.

Update, still like this watch, looks great and has good size. Nice big illumination button for night time reading. On my days off I throw it in the sun for a day and it is good to go for another week of night use.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a Navy SEAL but.., June 18, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
When I'm planning a tactical raid I can rest assured knowing that my charges will be set off at exactly the second I intended to because I used my Casio G shock to coordinate my movements, synchronizing with my extract team to ensure mission success. My girlfriend does not like this watch and keeps telling me I need an "Adult Watch" to which I respond: "Yeah, because they let children do HALO jumps into the Indian ocean and rendezvous with submarines. Pfffft." Also, as I write this it is high tide. How do I know? My watch told me so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
My husband loves this watch. Before he bought it he was afraid it'd be too big on his regular size wrist. Turned out great. It is big enough to be eye-catching but not bulky or obnoxious. The "military-spec" display is just a tid bit harder to read in low-light area, but still readable. Besides, it's just as easy to read in bright daylight and in dark with the EL on. One great feature is auto EL. When you turn your wrist 90 degrees so the watch faces you, the EL comes on. You dont have to press the G button to turn the light on.

Moon phase and tide indicators are cool too. Not that we have lots of use for those. Overall, a great looking watch, well-built, feature rich and reasonably priced. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I own!! UPDATE!!, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
I picked up this watch a few months ago. Ive had it in the ocean, swimming pools, and showers. Never had any problem with anything on it. No my screws have not fallen off and I basically wear this thing 24/7. I sometimes forget to take it off and even wear it to bed. I am some what of a watch collector, most of my watches were much more expensive then this one including a citizen eco skyhawk being over $500. This is my favorite watch BY FAR!! I love all of the functions. Very bright light for the glow part. Very easy to read. Mine updates every night as long as I have it near a window. It is very easy to setup and start enjoying the phases of the moon and the tide info. We go to the beach alot and its great to know when the tide is up or down when you arrive so you know how close to put your umbrella and chairs without being over run by the ocean. I am a freemason being a member of a moon lodge, so its nice to know when a full moon is coming up. This watch is very rugged, ready for everyday use. Weather you are going out on the town, hiking and camping, or hitting the waves. I would recommend this to anyone. I have a small wrist and this watch is not too big or overbearing at all. It is very comfortable and light. Last thing I love about this watch is the light setting...you can set it to light up when you turn your wrist to look at it at night. Just hold the "G" button for 3 seconds to turn on this function.

UPDATE!!

I have owned this watch for 9 months now. It has became pretty much the only watch I wear. I still wear my way more expensive Citizen Sky Hawk Eco Drive for dressy occasions. This G Shock i wear everyday, and i rarely take it off. I wear it to bed, in the shower, to work, to play. It has never lost batter power. There is no cosmetic damage to it what so ever! No scratches, and the band still looks brand new. I love this watch more then any watch that I have ever owned. My best friend has the exact same watch and he is in the Army. He had it overseas with him which you can imagine is a very very good test for any watch. His looks exactly like mine, PERFECT. So it has literately been to WAR AND BACK and this watch passed every test with flying colors!!!

BUY THIS WATCH NOW YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great g shock, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
I have owned many g shocks over the years, and that includes frogman. I have enjoyed none as much as I do this Gw7900-1 atomic and solor. it is bigger them most g shocks and just looks tuff on your wrist. I have read that the negitive face is hard to see. No way it very cool looking and isn't hard to see at all. I was a little concerned about that. The wings on the back allow it to fit as good as any watch I own. I could go on and on it's just a great looking watch and I recommend it to anyone who loves a big watch. thanks jeff