5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Military Watch
My brother is in the Marine Corps and when I saw his old watch I realized he needed something tough. His old watch had fallen apart due to physical beatings (the face was cracked) exposed to the elements (at the time he was stationed in Arizona)and the band was cracking.

I did research and came across the G-Shock. I read reviews for different models all over...
Published on March 14, 2009 by The Right Now Poster Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars sort of accurate-man
Had the watch for about a month. It receives the time via radio signal from Colorado every night without a hitch no matter where or how I have the watch overnight. It's comfortable and not super huge like some of the other feature packed watches out there. The thermometer works fairly accurately. I work in a lab and compared it to several therms at different temps...
Published on November 22, 2008 by pj moose

‹ Previous | 111 12 1323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Just a Watch.!!, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GW9200-1 G-Shock Riseman Alti-Therm Solar Atomic Watch (Watch)
Great time keeper! get it set atomically for extreme accuracy. For those of us not technically gifted, Casio needs to provide an instructional CD to simplify use of all the various settings this excellent time piece has. For those who live in states where the weather changes quickly, pay attention to the little red circle! It provides a barometric reading, that provides a good indicator of short term weather forecasting. Learn to read the graph; especially helpful for those who like hiking, camping, all outdoor activities.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, June 24, 2013
I like the watch but I though that it was going to be a little bigger, the altitude, barometric pressure, and temperature are not accurate, because I can get up to 20M difference in altitude at the same place. the temperature is always between 30 and 32 degrees.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 24, 2013
exacly what i was wating for was a fathers gift and hi loves it he wil use it every day

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, rugged and accurate, May 29, 2013
I bought this watch on the recommendation of several co-workers after almost aborting a climb 400' from the summit. I couldn't tell how close we were to the summit due to being on snow and in clouds for many hours. With this watch it is easy to set the known altitude before starting up to ensure the most accurate reading. It is also easy to toggle between time and altitude.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Design and Idea for a Watch... Some Shortcomings Though, May 29, 2013
bmrider71 "Peter" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
The Riseman was my first "high end" G-Shock (Master of G Series): made in Japan, and showcasing dual sensor (temperature and pressure), solar, and atomic time technology.

Pros (aside from the usual G-Shock toughness, water resistance, etc):
Solar powered recharging, atomic time, and altimeter!
Nice size, shape, heft, and feel of the case: steel light button and highlights are nice touches
Comfortable- pre-curved strap and moulded back piece helps here
Legible display in most lighting with good backlight when needed
Handy travel mode (switch between home times easily from timekeeping mode)
Current time is visible in most modes (see cons though)
Altimeter is a nice idea and informative over short periods of measurement (such as a workout, etc...but see cons)
Barometer time series can be a useful feature for judging current weather trends, and it's nice that it is on the time-keeping screen

Cons:
-Buttons are mushy/hard to press and too small (can take a few tries to switch modes, activate stop watch, etc., especially while doing something active)
-Needs a good way to get back to time-keeping screen quickly (it has lots of features and modes, so scrolling through them all with the crappy buttons gets old)
-No current time displayed on altimeter mode!
-Why display the abbreviated year ('XX) on the date timekeeping screen instead of something more interesting (temp, altitude etc.)? Most of us can at least remember the current year...
-Altimeter works adequately but needs a lot of fiddling and recalibration before each use and throughout the day if you want it to be at all accurate over a longer period (and forget it if the weather/temp are changing throughout the day).
-Temp is always wrong if you're wearing the watch (consistently so, at least), and obviously affects pressure/altimeter readings as well. Conversely, not wearing the watch to achieve temp readings throws off the pressure readings as the temp changes... so the watch can really only display one feature of its sensors usefully at a time (temp or pressure/altitude)

Minor points
-It would be nice to have a dual time display where you could somewhat permanently swap the day/date display with another time zone's time with a button press (my GW7900 does this), but retain the Riseman's ability to swap home times by holding said button.
-Having a "home" button (or button press combo) to skip right to main timekeeping screen from any mode would be nice.

Summary:
Practical and comfortable traveling watch-cum-weather-station with some great concepts and a nice case design, but with definite room for improvements in its execution. Despite its shortcomings, I still find myself regularly reaching for this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure awesome!, May 11, 2013
This is a great watch for the money. It offers the features of the more expensive Pathfinder series, but in a G-shock that can take the daily abuse of a Soldier. The barometer is spot on, and is great for calling the weather in the field. The thermometer picks up a lot of body temperature and must be removed for a minute to get an accurate reading. The altimeter has proved to be pretty accurate as well. I've been from sea level to 5,000ft since getting this watch, and it has been accurate to within 20ft the entire time.

The other features of the watch are functional, simple, and easy to use. This is a great everyday watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reliability, great features, issues with the light, May 9, 2013
This is the second Riseman I've bought, after I lost my previous one. Overall it's a great watch.

Pros:
- It's extremely rugged. The things that always end up breaking my Timex Ironman (grit and full submersion) bounce right off of it.
- It's small for being so rugged. I don't have huge wrists, and although I type all day and wear the watch with the face pointing in, it doesn't get in the way.
- The fact that it sets itself on from the atomic clock signal is hugely cool.
- The thermometer and altimeter are cool, though the thermometer can't give you good readings about air temp if it's close to you, which is a little awkward for something you're supposed to wear.

Cons:
- My major gripe with this watch is that its solar power runs out in the winter (I live in New England and work indoors). The watch has three modes: fully functional, conserving power by reducing functions, and off. One of the functions it cuts out in the middle mode is the backlight, and nighttime is when it tends to run out of power, leaving you with a watch which, though some functions are active, you can't actually use to tell time because you can't see it.
- Other small gripes: the backlight stays on for one second, no matter how long you hold the button. The auto-illumination mode has a tendency to come on by accident, and since I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist, this means the light turns on when I put my arm by my side. I like the Ironman "snap wrist to turn on" approach better.

Still, all told, it's the best day-to-day functional watch I've ever had, and when I misplace this one (I can't imagine breaking it), I'll buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Tip, May 8, 2013
First of all - I love this watch. It does everything it is supposed to do.

The tip - I've noticed that if I wear this watch at night it is far more likely to pick up the atomic signal and synchronize. I am in DC so this isn't a concern in most parts of the country that are closer to the Ft. Collins Clock. No matter what I can't get it to synch in NYC but the distance, the buildings, and the interference probably are to blame... not the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch, April 28, 2013
I have had this watch for a couple of months and like it. In fact I have never had it off my wrist since I bought it; I swim and shower in it without any problem. I live in central Florida and it synchronizes with the atomic clock in Colorado every night/morning without fail. I have not used all the features on it because I don't go climbing; there are no mountains in flat Florida. I know what the temperature is without messing around with my watch. I did try the alarm feature but due to my own incompetence with gadgets I could not get it to work! I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, April 25, 2013
Love all the functions, still need to learn them a little bit better. The altimeter and barometer does the best it can do, because the altimeter uses the air pressure, so if you have a weather front moving through or other changes, your data will be off (for casual use). Living at around 200 m.a.s.l., it would often read 80-300m based on the weather. For the thermometer to work, it must be off of the body for at least a half an hour, so if hiking or something, hang it on a backpack and then use it. Also, for the altimeter, I really don't know what you do when you get into the double digits for elevation. I took this climbing on Cotopaxi Volcano in Ecuador, but didn't even think to check what it was doing partly because I was busy climbing and partly because I was panting for oxygen. I had also messed with it setting a known elevation, so I wasn't sure what it was really doing. I say this because it only looks like it can go up to 9,999 ft/m, so I'm curious how it notes going above that. Overall though, a great watch, I love the tilt light function and have gotten quite a few complements on it. A great watch for the money.

‹ Previous | 111 12 1323 | Next ›

Casio Men's GW9200-1 G-Shock Riseman Alti-Therm Solar Atomic Watch
$251.20
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.