4.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat the features for the price.
Published 22 months ago by Dude who likes a lot of functi...

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Concept but Not For Me
This watch has excellent features, but seen in the flesh it is not for me so I returned it. It is very thick and I hate the feel of the rubber/plastic strap. The 3 "eyes" are also a distraction. Functionally excellent concept I am still seeking a more comfortable and attractive presentation.
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat the features for the price., March 12, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GWM500A-1 "G-Shock" Resin Solar Sport Watch (Watch)
The only thing that keeps me from rating this watch with 5 stars is the round displays at the top of the screen. They are almost useless; Casio should make this exact watch without them and there would be more room on the screen for the display of information. That's not to say that the numbers are hard to read; they are quite easy to read. The watch would just be better without the round displays cluttering up the face. Why does Casio insist on cluttering up the faces on almost all of their watches with gimmicky stuff like this? It detracts from the looks (which are otherwise very nice) and adds no functionality.

I bought a watch similar to this last summer with the exception that the other watch has a TIME MEMO whereas this one has a countdown timer. I have no idea what purpose the TIME MEMO function might serve, but I use the countdown timer all the time. If I had noticed the other watch didn't have a countdown timer, I never would have bought it.

One person previously posted something about the bezel looking like real metal, but was probably plastic with a really nice chrome finish. The bezel is stainless steel; it looks really nice and will be very durable.

It's incredible that you can buy a solar, atomic, shock resistant, water resistant to 200M watch (that looks really good, except for those 3 round display windows) for a little more than $60.

The size of the watch is very ideal to me, and I consider myself to be an average sized guy. It's not too bulky like some G shocks, but it's not too thin and flimsy like some of Casio's entry level watches.

I haven't had a chance to see how the atomic signal reception works yet, but it received a signal two days before arriving (while in transit- impressive). The watch that I bought before this one (almost identical) received the signal almost every day whether I was wearing the watch or not, so I am fairly confident this one will, too.

If you are in the market for a digital watch, I don't know why you would buy any other product, regardless of what you're looking for in terms of looks, features, price, etc. To me, there simply isn't another product on the market that is anywhere close to this watch for its price. I would even go so far to say that I would have gladly paid much, much more for this watch just because it is almost a perfect product. It just happens to be priced at an amount that makes it an incredible value as well.

So, if you want looks, features, etc. you will get it with this watch. The price is a bonus that makes it hard to pass up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, March 10, 2013
Ok first of all I work outside a lot in dust dirt and mud. Needed a tough watch and this is it. The band is not attached with some flimsy easy to bend and pop out pins it's screwed in. The mode buttons are recessed and unless you intentionally press them no oops moments. The resin band is flexible but tough (not cheap plastic). The display is large and easy to read. No need to press a light button to see at night as the watch has a sensor that turns the light on when you bring it up to look at the time. Unlike battery operated watches this never needs one and you watch doesn't gain or loose time like the battery types. Automatically sets time with signal from Atomic Signal. 12 or 24 hr time settings. Easy 1 button setting of modes no hold button "a" while pushing button "c" stuff. Very easy to adjust settings and functions. Best watch I have ever owned (58 yrs old ). Watch automatically goes into sleep mode to conserve charge. Alarm is pretty loud, and all functions (stop watch, timer ect) are easy to use and set. there are more expensive watches with Temp and Barometric pressure readings and compass functions. BUT if you read the small print those watches have a caution that these functions aren't real accurate and that you have to take the watch off to get the temp. The 3 little round circles that you see are there for function not decoration the 1st one is a Min, or Seconds count down, the second one is charge level, and the 3rd one lets you know which functions (ie
alarm, timer ect) you have set.

UPDATE 9 Sept 2014: This watch has been dropped, dunked in water, in the dark for a week and never has it failed to do its job still a TOP NOTCH watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality functional g-shock watch, December 20, 2012
DVDWatcher (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a functional watch that's easy to operate to replace a Timex Expedition that I lost. I like these types of watches when I travel or for daily wear especially when I have to work on my backyard. I have a few expensive dress watches, but I typically don't wear them as they are more like jewelry and just impractical compared to watches purely for function. I don't like to worry about a few thousand dollars on my wrist.

I looked around at several brands, such as Seiko, Casio, Timex, Swatch, Skagen, Bulova, Accutron and decided to focus on Casio's products (specifically the G-shocks). The G-shocks has models that appear to be more usable (that I don't have to worry about banging them up), more functional and durable, and has both the solar charging and atomic timekeeping.

I checked out all the G-shocks, and decided on this watch for several reasons :

- the appearance looks and feels high quality compared to some of the other G-shocks that has a glossy finish (which looked like toys)

- the size and weight - 54.1 x 46.6 x 15.3mm / 67g , which is a great fit for me as I have a slim wrist. This watch also fits well on my tween kids. If you have large wrist or you are looking for a huge bulky watch - this is not the right model for you. The watch is very light, but feels very solid. A slightly smaller watch is the model GW2310FB-1 which looks very cool. I picked that one up for my kid for $110 including shipping (Retail is $150). Also bought G7710-1 for $86 including shipping and a Baby-G BGA151-1B for $85. G-shocks are nice watches, and the kids love them.

- atomic timekeeping and solar charging for zero-maintenance - the time sync so far has worked well

- the resin wristband - I wanted either resin/rubber wristband or velcro wristband so that I don't have to worry about scuffing up my laptop when I work

- the price - $75 including shipping from J&R Music thru Amazon (Retail price is $120). Very fast shipping - got it the second day after I ordered. At this kind of price - I won't feel bad if I break or lose the watch. There is an all-black version of this watch ( GWM530A-1 ), but it's $130 + shipping. So - the model GWM500A-1 at $75 including shipping wins.

The finish on the watch is excellent. The silver bezel on the face of the watch appears metallic, but it's probably high quality chrome finished plastic. The combination of chrome finish and satin finish on the face is a really nice design.

The watchband is comfortable and easy to use. There is a notch at the end of the band to prevent the band from slipping out of the holster, and I really like that.

The lighting is bright, and you can program the watch to light up automatically when you raise your arm to look at the time. The display is legible under both bright and dim lighting conditions. You can also program the duration of the light.

The operation of the watch is simple - much simpler than the Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV that I also have and love (the Edifice looks very cool - feels like a sports car). The buttons on this G-shock are easy to press, and the date/time is easy to set. You don't really need to go thru the manual every time after the first setting. I'll be in big trouble if I ever lose the user manual for the Edifice.

The atomic clock sync is very simple - leave it on automatic, and it'll sync in the middle of the night. You can try the manual sync to test the signal.

It only takes a few minutes of direct light to fully charge the watch. I'm looking forward to not having to spend money to replace batteries.

I'm very happy with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars It seems most watches nowadays are huge - I like the look of the bigger watches, November 17, 2014
I wanted a durable watch to wear hunting, camping, motorcycle riding, etc. It seems most watches nowadays are huge - I like the look of the bigger watches, but when it comes down to function they constantly get caught on clothing or are uncomfortable with multiple layers or gloves. I was attracted to this one because it is not "extra large" - but I was worried it would be too small and look odd. I am a fairly big guy (6'2") and this watch is a good size - does not in any way look like a "girl's watch." Seems to fit the bill for durability and not getting in the way. Also very easy to read the time in all lighting conditions. In addition, it does not have 100 extra functions that I will never use...happy with the purchase...

5.0 out of 5 stars largest display of the atomic solar watches, April 28, 2013
This watch has the largest display of all the digital atomic solar watches sold by casio. This is the updated version of the GW 500. They have added multi band 6 technology and the countdown timer which replaces the time memo function. I have owned casio's since 1983. This is a great product that has worked flawlessly and will not disappoint. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot find a better watch for the price., November 19, 2014
This watch replaces my old one of the same model. This is a solar powered watch with a battery back up. My old one quit and I called Casio Factory repair and was told it would be between $20-$30 to fix it. Before I mailed it, I filled the 4 small phillips head screws on the back with liquid white out. When the white out dried, I polished the heads of them clean. I got a return e-mail from casio saying that it would be close to $90 to repair. I called them back and said, just return it to me. Then I bought this new one
from Amazon. When I got the old one back, I looked at the screws. The white out was still there. No one had even opened it up to check it. I went to "Google" and found out how to change the battery. I changed the battery and reset the old one. Now I have two of them. They both get automatic time updates every night from Fort Collins, CO. This is the most accurate and durible watches I have ever owned. I plan on giving my old one to my Grandson. The shipping was slower than expected, but the price was the lowest on the internet. Thank you Amazon. No thank you Casio factory repair center.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch on Planet?, June 8, 2013
I had one of these for several years and my brother-in-law liked it so much I gave it to him. I discovered I could not live without the features this watch provides and ordered a new one. The new one is easier to use and looks better. I have several expensive watches but when I travel this is what I wear. My "go to dinner watches" stay in the luggage. I have never had the watch go dead to lack of solar charge and the time is always perfect. While driving at night you just tilt your wrist and the watch illuminates to display the time. Travel, mountain biking, kayaking, skiing, hiking, camping, I do them all and this watch hold up. If I had to make a criticism I would say the alarm is not very loud, but you can set four of them. A useful feature. Like the 30-06 rifle, if you had to own only one this is it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch with few flaws., May 14, 2013
I only paid $62.50 for this watch as an Amazon Prime member when I bought it 2-3 weeks ago. I've been very satisfied during this short time, and I must say that I like it better than some of my other, far more expensive watches. It gets a lot of wrist time. It worked as promised right out of the box. The solar battery was fully charged when I got it and has stayed that way since I bought it. The atomic radio-controlled timing adjustment has also worked every time that I put it on a window at night. The materials are fine. Although I've heard that the band breaks, if subject to hard use, and it is hard sometimes to find a new band. I haven't had the watch long enough to break the band, but I did take the precaution of ordering a new model-specific one from Amazon for $16.95 (it was the only one in stock), just in case the original doesn't last. The mineral crystal is recessed in the face, which helps protect it from scratches. The blue-green EL background light functions fine. If activated, it will light up bright and clear for 1.5 or 3 seconds, depending on how you set it. I leave it on the 1.5 second setting, which works well for me. I have a small wrist , but the diameter of the watch doesn't give it a bulky look, nor does it sit too high when I wear it. The rubber surrounding the stainless steel case protects it pretty well. I use this watch for daily and athletic activities. I only have two objections that you should think about before you purchase this watch: 1. The buttons will be a little difficult to push as they are inset. I suspect it's one reason for why it's water resistant to 660 ft. My fingernail is long enough to operate the buttons, although it's easier when you remove the watch from your wrist. 2. The alarm volumes are too low. This is the reason why I did not give it 5 stars. If you need a watch to wake you in the morning, this is not the one. Also, ambient noise will often mask the sound. The water-resistant construction of the case again may be a reason for muffling the sound. I've read that this is a common problem in G-Shock and Pathfinder watches, but you would think that Casio, with all of its technology and experience, could design an alarm that could get your attention. In most reviews that I've read, people don't even mention the loudness of the alarm, but they should. Still, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. After a year of wear, I'll update you on any additional impressions that I have about this watch. As of now, I'm suitably impressed and plan to wear it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best watch I have ever owned., July 19, 2014
I bought mine in late 2008 before my 2009 deployment to Iraq, it's been on 3 deployments in a row with me and its STILL WORKING, every day. This has been the toughest watch I have ever owned. The band is starting to get dry rot cracks in some places and the band keeper I retired shortly ago since it partially snagged and started a rip, but from that partially being snagged by an 80lb roll even in its weakened old state it still held.
I want to point out a few things, the first thing to go is the glow button but it still works some times. The watch keeps excellent time, as long as I'm awake and paying attention it has never made me late, once!
as far as the features, I don't think I've ever used any of them, I'm partially deaf and the alarms aren't loud enough for me to notice unless in a quiet room. The beep never turns off, don't waste your time trying, spent hours trying to turn that dag on thing off... the text on mine, red text on black, and black text where it's silver, is mostly worn off... but since the text is molded into the case you can still see it, read it, and operate it.
I will be buying another casio. not this same one, I already have one and want to try a casio pathfinder, hopefully when their compass is more accurate and reliable...
another thing I should point out, this watch is atomic, it Does set its own time unless you disable that. It however only (obviously) can do that, if it is getting a, I think its a radio signal, can't remember, from being broadcasted from the world clock in colorado.
So, that being said, that didn't work in iraq, or afghanistan, but when I came back, I don't think it was hardly off time at all, not that I would have noticed since its over a 15 hour flight and I was quite lethargic.
One of the most useful features I found on it was the different time zones, and the fact that you can track two at once. So, while deployed, set time... whatever, A, to where I was and B to home, so I could go call my family without waking them up. More often than not though, I wound up memorizing the differences, can't remember why, it was just easier that way.
I have used the stopwatch function, and you can use that as a timer if you pay attention, since this doesn't have a timer... I used the time memo button but I always forget what memo is for what, so I just wound up writing it down... and if I was going to do that I just timed and dated it. you learn real quick, when you run out of batteries pencil or pen and paper are your best friends. pens, don't always work in the desert either...
my watch face is dented, and scratched, but not nearly half as bad as it would be if it weren't recessed. in other words if you lay the watch on its face and rub it on a flat rock or something, the face will be fine, its only when poked or struck directly when something can reach the face, a nice feature since the opposite styles always get scratches on them way easier. my face is still more than 90% readable, even while Driving...
the other thing I wanted to comment on is how comfortable this watch is... I had a timex expedition analog before this, and for 35 bucks that one is still tickin too, but doesn't keep even a fraction as good of time as this, in fact I still use it and have to set it every time I put it on... the crown on that timex and a guess watch I have (the guess being way worse and aggressive) digs in to my hand at times. the casio g shock, I have to be careful how I wear it cuz if it winds up riding on my hand and I fall on it, it will sprain your wrist... the band doesn't break though.
but even then, if you wear it either tight or loose enough its fine, I also have to alternate it between wrists every few days to keep it from becoming too irritating. I noticed that when I put it on the day I got it, it was much more comfortable than in its near worn out state now, 5 years later, and I always wore it tight back then to keep it from snagging, and only rarely changed the side it was on. a note, my wrists are not large, around 9 1/4"...
my last thoughts... unless you are infantry, don't wear it face down. I was not, I didn't have to worry about that, but when low crawling the sand and gravel will just rip that watch face to shreds, probably where the only marks on mine came from, and murphys law, as soon as i swapped it to try it face down, we were low crawling... but the way unless you fall with your hand inboard you won't sprain your wrist with it worn this way, or at least less likely. but if you fall with your hand towards your body your more likely to sprain anyways.
Also when working with hammers, its best to take even this watch off... it'll skin ya after about a half an hour... but little poundings its fine. when working as an electrician, its also ideal to take it off, since when fishing in between two studs in a corner, or in an attic space where the roof meets the top plate, it uhm... yeah... its a very large watch ok? unless you have a job where you are unlikely to get lots of dirt and debris on your wrists, or won't have to worry about snagging it... just don't snag it on a power tool and you'll be fine, hahaha. as a rule I keep my wrists from sliding on anything I'm jumping from or from touching any machinery of any kind.
I also replaced the band keeper with 550 cord. and tried a clip on compass... that promptly fell off within a few hours of putting it on and remained lost for about 3 months... weird. perhaps lashing it down to the band with notches and glue would keep it in place? but since I just, have a neck compass, who cares? and also am going to sadly retire this watch some day soon, it has served me well in my endeavours...
but thats just my two cents for what its worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Time and No Battery Concerns, March 17, 2014
After 10 years, it was time to replace my old Casio Solar Atomic Digital Watch. There was no question about what watch I should buy as a replacement, another Casio. It does every thing that it should, remains charged up, sets itself each early morning, and sets the time automatically for Daylight Savings Time. There are many features that mean nothing to me, like alarm, stop watch, timer, etc., but there is one thing I do know about the watch. If knowing the accurate time is important to you, this is the watch to own. When I bought my first Casio, I wondered what I'd do when the watch band wore out. You can't just stop at the nearest store and pick up another. No worry, the band was as good as new after 10 years, and that was with abuse. My only complaint is with the setting up of the watch. Maybe I'm not as sharp as I was years ago, but you had better read the instructions VERY carefully and do exactly what they say. There was a time or two in the setup that I pressed a particular button, as instructed, but never got the response that I should have, but just keep working with the watch, and eventually you'll find success.