Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on March 14, 2013
I spent weeks looking for a watch that wasn't too flashy, too bulky, or uncomfortable. And, I wanted something that will last. Well I found it. This watch is super lightweight, has a very slim profile, and is packed full of features. I have a small wrist, so I needed a watch smaller than the large G-Shocks.

Even being small in size, this watch still stands up to the larger G-Shocks, in strength and features. It is atomic, so you never have to worry about the time being off. Syncs even on my nightstand. This was one of the deciding factors for me because I don't like having to check and see if my watch is correct. Casio claims that this watch won't ever be off more than a second, if it is synced periodically. Oh yeah, and it's solar powered!

Another reason I got this watch is because it doesn't have very many exposed metal pieces. I wash cars for a dealership, and I can't have a metal watch that will scratch cars.

One of the big decisions I had to make while I was searching for a watch was do I want a negative display? And truthfully, I still don't know. This display doesn't disappoint. It is crisp, and easy to read in all light conditions, even dark at night under street lamps. My conclusion, I love it. But, someday I would like to try a negative display.

Overall, this watch beats every other watch I've looked at. It has all the features I was looking for and more. This watch is worth twice what it retails at. It looks great and just works.
review image review image
33 comments87 of 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2012
This is a fantastic, durable, and very featured watch. The watch is fantastic for everyday use and is durable enough for heavy stress outdoor activities. I love the fact that it is solar charged, and can set itself from its atomic frequency.

All features listed are incredibly easy to learn and use. The watch allows you to set it once and most likely never do anything with it ever again besides put it on. The watch will set itself charge its own battery and can correct day light savings and understand leap year. It is also fantastic knowing it is a G-Shock and you can trust that it will never become damaged because of wear and tear.

On the note of the G-Shock and its durability. This is my second purchase of the same watch due to my cockiness in showing off its durability to my friends. In an attempt to explain to them that the watch is virtually indestructible, I catapulted it some 15 ft away with my lacrosse stick at a concrete surface and needless to say that was the end of my watch. This watch will never break, if you leave it on your wrist! TAKE MY MISFORTUNE AS A LESSON!
66 comments59 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
I admit it - I love casio watches, particularly the square faced ones. I've been trying to get one in this style with the Multi-band 6 for a while now, and am excited to finally have found one at a (very) reasonable price.

I had read some reviews that had concern for the solar battery life, and having worn this for the past 2 months, I can say i've had no battery issues and have had to make no special arrangements to make certain it is charged. It's chilly here, so i'm often wearing a coat outside and a jacket at my desk, but the watch still indicates that the battery charge is "high".

The multiband-6 timekeeping is revolutionary, to me at least. I work in an IT environment, and it's helpful to know that my watch is in sync with all of my servers that use NTP (which distributes atomic level timekeeping over IP networks). I love knowing that even though i haven't had to dial WWV in Colorado (or listen to them on shortwave) to check my watch time, it's perfectly in sync, or reasonably so even if it hasn't synced that morning.

That said, I don't get perfect reception of the signal in my house. It seems to do better in some positions and some rooms better than others. That means that if it lays on its face on my nighstand, or falls on the floor, it might not get the sync signal. You might also have problems in hotel rooms.

The other feature of casio watches that i really appreciate is the World Time reading. I routinely work with teams across the globe, and it's handy to just press 1 button twice on my watch to see the date / time in their zone.

Overall, if you're looking for a casual but feature filled daily-wearer, this is an excellent choice. I have even been known to use it to time my coffee / tea brewing.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2014
The watch does every it's supposed to do and looks much nicer in person.
I would recommend this watch to anyone
that likes classic G's. I've read a couple of reviews about the auto EL backlight no working, (it only works in the dark) as it did for me. I tried first in a light room nothing then turned out light and bingo hope this helps
review image
on September 14, 2012
This is another great classic series watch from G-Shock. It is essentially the GW-M5600 with a timer that goes to 24 hours and not just one hour. It also has the soft resin band from the GW-5000 but at one third the cost. Still does not display time in the stopwatch and timer modes but as this has been griped about for years and still no fix from Casio it makes be believe it is easier said than done. Classic colors reminiscent of the original DW-5000 it is a good size for every day wear and has plenty of features.
33 comments22 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2015
I lost total count of how many G-Shock watches I've ever owned, but this is the third one I currently have. My other two are the GW3000BB-1A that I wear for nicer occasions, and the DW5600E-1V that I wear for work. In planning a month long overseas trip with mixed urban and outdoor activities, I wanted a watch that was good looking watch, and also inexpensive so as to not worry about scratching it, losing it, or replacing it.

I'm usually not a fan of big and bulky watches due to having a small (157 mm circumference) wrist. Complicated-looking watches with features/dials/gauges are just silly, especially if they are features I would never use. After owning the GW3000, I really like the atomic solar feature. There are a few other atomic solar G-Shocks on Amazon that are slightly less expensive, but these are the reasons why I chose the GWM5610-1.

Compared to the DW5600, this GWM5610 costs more than twice as much, but I think the GWM5610 is indeed twice as good. As long as you have atomic clock signal reception, you never have to set the time. You can set a second time zone for the world clock. It is not half the weight, nor is twice as durable, but these might be the only areas that the watch is not twice as good as the DW5600.

Setting its time zone was far easier than with the GW3000 due to having a digital display and not having arms which are used to indicate settings and times. With regards to DST selection, this watch allows you to choose between automatic/on/off. Therefore, if you live in Arizona where half the year we are with Mountain Standard and the rest with Pacific Standard, you will have no problems with the GWM5610. Contrary, The GW3000 does not allow you to choose the DST mode, and it automatically selects the DST mode based on the time zone you select. Thus, with the GW3000, I have to change the time zone between LAX and DEN twice a year. Annoyance.

I have not attempted, and I may end up not trying, but because the bezel of this GWM5610 appears identical to the DW5600's, I believe the bezel can be removed and "stealthed." I will probably wear it for a few days and decide if I like it the way it is, or go ahead and stealth it. I think the different colors on the face of the watch complement each other well, and it might look better as is.

Eventually, I may replace the DW5600 with this watch as my work watch. Working in an occupation that requires accurate time for record keeping, the atomic feature would be nice to have. At the moment, readjusting the time on the DW5600 once every other month or so is not a big issue. Perhaps, when the DW5600 breaks (if it ever would), I would replace it with another GWM5610.

There is one issue, and it may be a big issue for you. This watch has an automatic backlight feature that turns the backlight on when in a dark room and when the watch face is tilted from a horizontal position to a minimum of 40 degrees upward (as if you're bringing the watch to your face). The feature is called Auto EL, and it can be turned on and off.

Apparently, many GWM5610 come with defective Auto EL from the factory. You probably saw many reviewers and product question stating this. Many have returned their watch to Amazon only to get another defective watch. These defective units are sold at retailers other than Amazon as well.

My watch is indeed defective. I confirmed this by making sure the watch was charged, and then putting the watch in the tilt sensor test mode (by pressing the A, B, and C buttons simultaneously), and noting that the watch did not sense me tilting it. It will display "8888" if it senses that there is tilting occurring.

I wasn't planning on using the Auto EL feature. I believe I had an old watch decades ago that had this feature, and I didn't find it particularly useful. If the feature was working, I may find it useful at work at night when I'm unable to touch my watch with my fingers. Considering that the watch is solar, battery life is not a concern either. It's pretty cool, again, if it was working.

I don't think I will be asking for a replacement. I am cutting it close to my trip, and may not have enough time to receive a replacement from Amazon. Seeing how many people have received defective watches from recent purchases dating back a few years, I feel that I might get a defective replacement anyway.

Because I'm not horribly heartbroken that the Auto EL does not work, I'm only deducting one star from the review. Again, you may feel that this is a deal breaker.

Links:
My review for the GW3000BB-1A: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EWELTCRE08Y5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004YZIBSK
Amazon's GW3000BB-1A product page: http://amzn.com/B004YZIBSK
Amazon's DW5600E-1V product page: http://amzn.com/B000GAYQKY

__________
Update on 2015/07/17 at 18:39 Arizona Standard Time

Star rating changed from 4 stars to 3 due to receiving three defective watches. I won't be asking for another replacement. I guess I wasn't meant to have Auto EL.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
99 comments8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
Casio G-Shocks are simply the best watches in our Universe, specially this one! Classic G-Shock look, 20bar water resistant, shock-proof, SOLAR POWERED and RADIO CONTROLLED!
Once you set your home town (which determines the correct frequency on which the signal wil be received!), the watch starts searching for a signal! You might want to do that next to a window and during evening/night time as that is the time of the day when radio transmissions experience the least interferences by industry or traffic - unless you live next door to an transmitter then it doesn't matter.

The watch has all the function you will need sooner or later! 24-hour stop watch, count down timer, 5 alarms and a hourly chime that you can actually hear, auto DST (daylight savings time) feature for areas where the one-hour switch is performed or not, world time to let you know what time it is at your overseas business partner, the EL-backlight is bright and it has an automatic feature where you only have to tilt your arm by 90 degrees and the light come on automatically and that works only in darkness - and if it comes on unintentionally you don't have to worry as the solar cells will keep the battery charged. Oh, there is a power saving feature too where it temporarily shuts off the LCD display over night which is useful when you are living in an cold area of this world, wearing long sleeves which are partially covering the solar cells. Dont worry about eventually running out of juice, the display tells you the charge status!

Important: If you want to understand all the functions and how to use them - take your time and READ THE MANUAL which comes with the watch!
I love solar watches and this is my 3rd Casio Solar watch (my last one was stolen out of my beach bag!); living in southern California with plenty of sunshine, my solar powered watches have never ever failed on me!!!
55 comments19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2014
By far my favorite watch ever. My first G-Shock was bought a year ago, a GWM-6900-1. I loved it. But I wanted the "Speed Style" squares. I didn't want to give up the solar and atomic features of the 6900 I had, so I had to get this GW-M5610-1.

I ended up selling the GWM-6900-1. I have not regretted it once!

When you first get one of these watches, you will check daily to see if it shows "RCVD". Trust me, that acute and annoying symptom goes away after a few months. I put the watch on daily now and it just works. It doesn't "RCVD" or receive every single day, that's mainly because sometimes I leave it laying on the couch or something in the middle of my house. I would estimate it receives 90% or more of the time though. What is important here though? That it shows perfect time! Even if it skips a few days of receiving, it will still match "official" time.

The battery showed "H" for High when I first got it. It has not changed from that since I got it, but I do work outside quite a bit so it gets to soak up the sun quite often.

I do not know if it is recommended, but I wear mine in the 180°F dry sauna at the gym and it keeps on chugging along (I use it to set timers).

I used to be a "heavy" watch guy. But I sold every single one of my "heavy" watches and now this G-Shock is the only watch I own. It is so light you don't even know it is there until you want to check the time. It is very comfortable, more than the GWM-6900 was for me. I think I have been "Squared" and will probably never go back.Some will tell you fancy bands and adapters are needed, but I just wear it like it was made and I have never had a problem.

This GW-M5610-1 is the best watch all-around. I would recommend this watch to anyone looking for a G-Shock, likes the movie "Speed", and wants a tough watch with useable features without a lot of extras that wouldn't be used.
on April 12, 2015
I've been using this watch for two month and so far I love it. I wanted a watch to wear all the time and it last more than usual watches.Moreover, it doesn't die when I go scuba diving or swimming.
I've had other Casio models like Edifice but I was not happy with any of them! They were bulky, heavy, and they've been pulling my wrist hair all the time, which was very annoying!
This one is the thinnest and smallest G-shock model and very comfortable! The display is very clean and easy to read for any age and at any angle and significantly easier to read in comparison with black-display models. The back light is amazing and there is no way you cant read the display at night!
So far after 2 months of use I have not found anything about it that bothers me!
review image
on June 20, 2012
I am very happy with this watch! It is basically everything I expected
and no issues so far. I enjoy the multi-band atomic synchronization along with the
solar recharging capability. The construction is also very rugged and well made.
The backlight is also better than I expected. I look forward to using this watch for years to come!
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse