5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch
This is a fantastic, durable, and very featured watch. The watch is fantastic for everyday use and is durable enough for heavy stress outdoor activities. I love the fact that it is solar charged, and can set itself from its atomic frequency.

Published on June 13, 2012 by Itzak210

1.0 out of 5 stars Full Auto EL Backlight not working on 2 watches. Returning :(
Ordered 1st watch. Had trouble with the Full Auto EL feature, so returned to Amazon and ordered second one.
Second one had same issue. In the dark, watch light would not turn on when A.EL on and watch tilted.
Found out how to turn test mode on on someone's youtube video and did the Tilt test. It failed. Called Casio and
asked them for replacement. They...
Published 12 months ago by Marisela A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's GWM5610-1 G-Shock Solar Watch with Black Band (Watch)

All features listed are incredibly easy to learn and use. The watch allows you to set it once and most likely never do anything with it ever again besides put it on. The watch will set itself charge its own battery and can correct day light savings and understand leap year. It is also fantastic knowing it is a G-Shock and you can trust that it will never become damaged because of wear and tear.

On the note of the G-Shock and its durability. This is my second purchase of the same watch due to my cockiness in showing off its durability to my friends. In an attempt to explain to them that the watch is virtually indestructible, I catapulted it some 15 ft away with my lacrosse stick at a concrete surface and needless to say that was the end of my watch. This watch will never break, if you leave it on your wrist! TAKE MY MISFORTUNE AS A LESSON!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very reliable, very comfortable, and fairly easy to use, December 11, 2012
I admit it - I love casio watches, particularly the square faced ones. I've been trying to get one in this style with the Multi-band 6 for a while now, and am excited to finally have found one at a (very) reasonable price.

I had read some reviews that had concern for the solar battery life, and having worn this for the past 2 months, I can say i've had no battery issues and have had to make no special arrangements to make certain it is charged. It's chilly here, so i'm often wearing a coat outside and a jacket at my desk, but the watch still indicates that the battery charge is "high".

The multiband-6 timekeeping is revolutionary, to me at least. I work in an IT environment, and it's helpful to know that my watch is in sync with all of my servers that use NTP (which distributes atomic level timekeeping over IP networks). I love knowing that even though i haven't had to dial WWV in Colorado (or listen to them on shortwave) to check my watch time, it's perfectly in sync, or reasonably so even if it hasn't synced that morning.

That said, I don't get perfect reception of the signal in my house. It seems to do better in some positions and some rooms better than others. That means that if it lays on its face on my nighstand, or falls on the floor, it might not get the sync signal. You might also have problems in hotel rooms.

The other feature of casio watches that i really appreciate is the World Time reading. I routinely work with teams across the globe, and it's handy to just press 1 button twice on my watch to see the date / time in their zone.

Overall, if you're looking for a casual but feature filled daily-wearer, this is an excellent choice. I have even been known to use it to time my coffee / tea brewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, yet fully featured., March 14, 2013
I spent weeks looking for a watch that wasn't too flashy, too bulky, or uncomfortable. And, I wanted something that will last. Well I found it. This watch is super lightweight, has a very slim profile, and is packed full of features. I have a small wrist, so I needed a watch smaller than the large G-Shocks.

Even being small in size, this watch still stands up to the larger G-Shocks, in strength and features. It is atomic, so you never have to worry about the time being off. Syncs even on my nightstand. This was one of the deciding factors for me because I don't like having to check and see if my watch is correct. Casio claims that this watch won't ever be off more than a second, if it is synced periodically. Oh yeah, and it's solar powered!

Another reason I got this watch is because it doesn't have very many exposed metal pieces. I wash cars for a dealership, and I can't have a metal watch that will scratch cars.

One of the big decisions I had to make while I was searching for a watch was do I want a negative display? And truthfully, I still don't know. This display doesn't disappoint. It is crisp, and easy to read in all light conditions, even dark at night under street lamps. My conclusion, I love it. But, someday I would like to try a negative display.

Overall, this watch beats every other watch I've looked at. It has all the features I was looking for and more. This watch is worth twice what it retails at. It looks great and just works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent every day watch, September 14, 2012
This is another great classic series watch from G-Shock. It is essentially the GW-M5600 with a timer that goes to 24 hours and not just one hour. It also has the soft resin band from the GW-5000 but at one third the cost. Still does not display time in the stopwatch and timer modes but as this has been griped about for years and still no fix from Casio it makes be believe it is easier said than done. Classic colors reminiscent of the original DW-5000 it is a good size for every day wear and has plenty of features.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best watch!, November 19, 2012
Casio G-Shocks are simply the best watches in our Universe, specially this one! Classic G-Shock look, 20bar water resistant, shock-proof, SOLAR POWERED and RADIO CONTROLLED!
Once you set your home town (which determines the correct frequency on which the signal wil be received!), the watch starts searching for a signal! You might want to do that next to a window and during evening/night time as that is the time of the day when radio transmissions experience the least interferences by industry or traffic - unless you live next door to an transmitter then it doesn't matter.

The watch has all the function you will need sooner or later! 24-hour stop watch, count down timer, 5 alarms and a hourly chime that you can actually hear, auto DST (daylight savings time) feature for areas where the one-hour switch is performed or not, world time to let you know what time it is at your overseas business partner, the EL-backlight is bright and it has an automatic feature where you only have to tilt your arm by 90 degrees and the light come on automatically and that works only in darkness - and if it comes on unintentionally you don't have to worry as the solar cells will keep the battery charged. Oh, there is a power saving feature too where it temporarily shuts off the LCD display over night which is useful when you are living in an cold area of this world, wearing long sleeves which are partially covering the solar cells. Dont worry about eventually running out of juice, the display tells you the charge status!

Important: If you want to understand all the functions and how to use them - take your time and READ THE MANUAL which comes with the watch!
I love solar watches and this is my 3rd Casio Solar watch (my last one was stolen out of my beach bag!); living in southern California with plenty of sunshine, my solar powered watches have never ever failed on me!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars G Shock Quality., July 27, 2013
I purchased this watch because the idea of a solar atomic 5600 was too neat to pass up. I'm very pleased with the watch itself. My only complaint is that the band feels cheap and plasticy. After reading another review that mentioned putting the watch on a gw5000 band I decided to do the same. I couldn't be happier with the result. I now wear this watch every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great watch!, June 20, 2012
Big E (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with this watch! It is basically everything I expected
and no issues so far. I enjoy the multi-band atomic synchronization along with the
solar recharging capability. The construction is also very rugged and well made.
The backlight is also better than I expected. I look forward to using this watch for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the best watch in my collection., September 16, 2012
This watch is very rugged and durable for being a smaller G-Shock. It's been on my wrist since I've bought it, and I can't really complain about anything with this watch. However I did buy different straps for it, GW-5000 straps, that's my only qualm with the watch. The straps on the watch are a little hard and more of a plastic feel, so I would suggest getting better straps if the stock ones don't feel nice on your wrist. I have a smaller wrist and this watch fits perfectly, and it is perfect for other people that have smaller wrists. I'm not going to list out all the functions and the modes that are on the watch but I do use all of them, some people complain that the alarm isn't that loud, and I don't see why they don't just use an alarm clock. The fact that this watch is solar/ atomic and a 5600 makes me very happy. Best watch in my collection, and best G-Shock in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch. Alarm and timer could be better., March 28, 2014
Alarm sound is low. Timer can be better. Otherwise great watch. low profile. If you don't frequently use the timer and alarm, and want a low profile, not so bulky G-Shock, this is a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily my favorite watch I've ever owned., November 17, 2014
By far my favorite watch ever. My first G-Shock was bought a year ago, a GWM-6900-1. I loved it. But I wanted the "Speed Style" squares. I didn't want to give up the solar and atomic features of the 6900 I had, so I had to get this GW-M5610-1.

I ended up selling the GWM-6900-1. I have not regretted it once!

When you first get one of these watches, you will check daily to see if it shows "RCVD". Trust me, that acute and annoying symptom goes away after a few months. I put the watch on daily now and it just works. It doesn't "RCVD" or receive every single day, that's mainly because sometimes I leave it laying on the couch or something in the middle of my house. I would estimate it receives 90% or more of the time though. What is important here though? That it shows perfect time! Even if it skips a few days of receiving, it will still match "official" time.

The battery showed "H" for High when I first got it. It has not changed from that since I got it, but I do work outside quite a bit so it gets to soak up the sun quite often.

I do not know if it is recommended, but I wear mine in the 180°F dry sauna at the gym and it keeps on chugging along (I use it to set timers).

I used to be a "heavy" watch guy. But I sold every single one of my "heavy" watches and now this G-Shock is the only watch I own. It is so light you don't even know it is there until you want to check the time. It is very comfortable, more than the GWM-6900 was for me. I think I have been "Squared" and will probably never go back.Some will tell you fancy bands and adapters are needed, but I just wear it like it was made and I have never had a problem.

This GW-M5610-1 is the best watch all-around. I would recommend this watch to anyone looking for a G-Shock, likes the movie "Speed", and wants a tough watch with useable features without a lot of extras that wouldn't be used.