Casio Men's GWM850-1CR Atomic Solar G Shock Watch
Band Color: blackChange
Price:$89.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 19, 2010
I just received this watch and have been using it daily. The packaging was excellent, the shipping time was longer than expected due to the inclement weather back East.

My present Casio, the JC-30 has been in service for several years and is finally showing wear and tear. I hope this new Casio watch lasts as many years as the JC-30.

The GWM850-1CR is a sleeker Casio G Shock model than many of the other Casio G Shocks on the market today. It is not as extreme in the height, width and overall size of the watch. It has a sleek and solid appearence and will not stand out on the wrist.

The bezel is made of a clean, smooth appearing stainless steel and will also provide damage protection from everyday use.

The face of the watch is a light shade of gray, with black colored data such as the day, date and time. The face of the watch has a clean and uncluttered appearance with the top window displaying the day and the date. The day and the date is hard to read, the letters and digits are very small. Unless you have excellent eye sight or glasses, this could be a slight problem. This is the only complaint I have about this watch. The top window also displays world time when this feature is activated.

The bottom window displays the horizional battery charge, the solar battery strength, snooze, alarm, sig alerts, solar cell and the time. The numbers are easy to read and the bottom window is well designed.

Directly above the watch data is a textured dark gray colored front with two windows that is both functional and gives the watch a better appearance and quality than you would expect from a watch at this price point.

The four buttons A,B,C,D are well placed and have a slight elevated protective perimeter from the body of the watch so the buttons can not be pressed inadvertently. It takes a bit of pressure to activate the button. Button L, located at the botton center of the watch will provide back light to the watch in low light conditions. The back light is adequate, but not really bright.

The wrist band is made of a textured resin material with duel clasps. The wrist band appears to be molded or structured around the watch and it gives a good looking appearance. I'm hoping that the wrist band is made of a strong and long lasting resin. It is not known how difficult it will be to replace the wrist band when it wears out.

This watch has many features, such as atomic time keeping, solar power, standard or military time format,(12/24) world time, stop watch, count down timer, rally feature, multiple alarms, snooze, hour beeper and auto (EL) back light. The audible alerts are not loud, rather the sound is soft and muted. The watch also has a automatic power saver shutdown in darkness. This feature saves power during non-operation.

The watch also comes with an impressive 119 page manual that provides detailed information about the watch features, functions and how to operate the watch.

Unless you are a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon, it will take a little time and a little effort to understand the methods and procedures to operate all the features:)

Pros: Solar powered, atomic timekeeping, sleek smooth appearing stainless steel bezel and packed with many features. Great watch at price point and well worth the price.

Cons: The top window that displays the font/lettering/numbers for the day and date are small to read.

Conclusion: All in all, this is a well designed watch with a standard size and sleeker design. Also, it is a great watch for the price point.

Update: As of March, 2015, I have owned this watch for over five years and it has performed perfectly.

I wear it everyday and the watch takes significant use and impacts in the work environment. Due to the great construction materials, the watch and the resin wrist band have held up extremely well. There have been no defects in construction materials and the performance of the watch.

I'm very pleased with the quality and features of this watch.

Jon Green
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2009
I'm very picky when it comes to my electronics. I thought trying to find a watch that had all of the features I wanted would be easy, but I was wrong. It seemed no place had any way to select the features I was looking for, so I ended up searching every way I could find to narrow down the watch I wanted. Luckily early on it seemed the G-Shocks were the best for syncing to the radio signal from WWVB while including solar recharging with almost no need to change the battery. Plus, it's nice to have a "tough" watch so I don't have to worry about dropping it or hitting it on anything, which I have already done with no consequences.
Along with the atomic criteria, I also limited my search to all-digital watches that IMO, looked good enough to wear anywhere. Out of the watches that I was left with, there were a few things that set this G-Shock apart from the rest:
1) It has a 24 hour countdown timer. Out of the ones I looked at, there were only a few that had a countdown timer. Even worse, the other ones were only 1-60 minutes. This was the only one that included a 24 hour timer. The only downside is that you can't change the seconds, but with the timer I used in my old watch I never messed with the seconds anyway.
2) It shows the day and the date at the same time. The other watch I was considering was the Gulfman (it only had a 60 minute timer though). They took up a big part of the display showing which country's atomic signal it synced with, and because of that it either showed the day or the date. This watch has a small box to show if it synced so at the top it has enough room to show the day as well as the date. I didn't want to have to push a button to cycle back and forth between the two.

The only thing I wish it did was allow the alarm to be set for weekday only. Also, as others have mentioned, the buttons are a little hard to press, but I assume that's on purpose to avoid accidental button presses considering it's a "G-shock." Other than that, this watch has a stopwatch, auto illumination when you turn the watch to face you, multiple alarms (including a snooze and hourly), and power saving mode when you're not using it. It also shows you the date and time it last synced in case you notice it hasn't synced in a while. Plus, thanks to the WWVB signal it automatically adjusts for daylight saving time, which worked perfectly this November 1st.

Overall, this is the best watch I've ever owned. It's tough, has almost all of the features I wanted, and looks good and is not too bulky like some of the other G-Shocks I've seen.
on September 5, 2009
I've been a Timex guy for decades, but I'll have to say this watch is better than any Timex I have owned. It is rugged, not too big, easy to read, and best of all -- totally maintenance free. No setting the time ever, no changing batteries EVER. Some commented that the alarms are not loud enough, but I have found them to be fine. They will wake me up from the dresser across the room. My only complaint is that the buttons (especially the set) are a bit difficult to push. The backlight is fine if you are just checking the time, but too short if doing any functions requiring more than just a glance.

However, for now, I am greatly enjoying my new watch!!

UPDATE: July 2012 - Based on a comment, I removed the part about 'when the band breaks' as I must have been in Timex mode still. I wear this watch every day and have since I purchased long ago and the band is still in very good shape. I still love this watch!! I wish my computer was equally maintenance free.

UPDATE: March 2013 - It's official. This is probably the best purchase I have ever made. This watch is a flawless performer every single day. I have taken it all over the country and snorkeling (not diving) in the Caribbean, countless swims in the pool during the summers, and it is still as solid as the day I bought it. The band has been very robust. Much more reliable than the old Timex bands. The face is also very resilient as it shows no scratches whatsoever, and I have not done anything to avoid hitting or scraping it across anything. I know the company would probably prefer me to have purchased a watch every year, but I guarantee I will come back to Casio Gshock if I lose this watch. That's the only scenario I can think of to replace it as it keeps on going...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2008
I bought this watch for its durability and its features. I like the fact that it is solar powered. I wanted a stopwatch and countdown timer with 24 hr. capability. I also like that the backlight lights up the entire face of the watch. I don't have to periodically set the time on the watch because it does that automaticaly each night. Except for two minor issues this would be the perfect watch. The volume on the alarm is much softer than on my previous Casio watches. I'm a little concerned that there may be times when it will not be loud enough to wake me up. Also, I would like to be able to display the time in the small display at the top when I am using one of the other modes on the watch. Other than these two issues, I really like this watch.
on September 25, 2010
My watch arrived today, only one week after I ordered it, even though I used super saver shipping! I was pleasantly surprised. Great tracking and it was packed very well. I was surprised when I pulled it out of the box as it was right on time,day and date were right on, and the right city had been selected (NYC) for receiving the signal. After reading the thick little manual (the half that was in English...don't freak when you see how thick it is), I came to the conclusion that this watch does a lot of stuff that I don't care about. I knew this up front, but after reading, I was happy that I didn't have to figure out every option that this little gem has. I'm retired and not that much into all kind of features that are now on watches, cell phones, computers, etc. However; the whole solar powered/atomic thing intrigued me.

It didn't take me long to understand the main points about the operation of this watch. After reading, I was very worried about the fact that power lines and radio waves, as well as the lay of the land, could interfere with the atomic clock signal which provides the automatic settings of day, date, and time. I live in a log cabin, surrounded by trees, with power lines probably an eigth of a mile away, and a radio station right across the road from me! The first window I tried, error, didn't work. I tried a window on the other side of the house and had a signal that was jumping between L2 and L3 (medium to strong signal). L1 is the lowest signal and L3 is the strongest. It worked, but I tried the window in the back of my house and success...a good strong L3! Location makes all the differance when downloading the signal. You can do this manually until you find the best place...then, just put the watch in the window when you go to bed and it will do the rest, provided you have selected the auto option.

The solar power was charged well right out of the box...where it had to be in darkness for days! I will put it in the sunlight tomorrow to make sure it is fully charged. Artificial light works, but sunlight is better.

I would suggest that you follow the instructions to get the built in light to stay on for three seconds as opposed to 1.5. When I tried the light, I was pleased, but it went off too fast. The 3.0 seconds it good enough to see the time.

I love how the watch is made...looks good enough to wear to work, go casual, or even wear with a suit! Not to thick and the band, with the double clasp, is great! Feels really good on my wrist.

If I was forced to voice a negative, the only thing that I can think of would be the buttons that you push for the various functions. A little hard to push, but after a few times, I got the hang of them. They are made that way so they don't get pushed accidentally. A child would have a hard time pushing them, but I can see where that could be a good thing! This wouldn't be their style anyway.

Oh yeah...when I registered the warranty and answered the questions, a good thing happened...I hit the send button and got and extended warranty certificate food for an additional year! This is only for G-shock. So, I have a two year warranty! Honestly, I don't believe that I will ever need it.

My conclusion is this...if are considering this watch at all, GET IT! I do not believe that you would be disappointed at all! Amazon.com has the best price of any place that I checked...especially with the free shipping. That's it for now and I hope that this is helpful. Get it and enjoy!
on May 10, 2009
As advertised - digital display, solar powered, and atomic time keeping. Also - slightly smaller and more attractive than the other G-Shocks, and very lightweight. Functional - I wear it to the gym (durable), swimming, and out during the day - even on the job - looks decent in dress clothes. Overall, a great watch.
on April 19, 2010
I received a G-Shock for my birthday 22 years ago. It went through police academy, SWAT training, and everyday street duty, and it's still working near perfectly....except for some nicks to the body. I bought this one in the hopes of it performing just as well. I really like the atomic timekeeping feature, but almost removed one star from my review, because the watch must be nearby a window at night for the calibration to work. Other than that, this is a fantastic watch, and well worth the money.
on August 17, 2010
This watch is the perfect combination of features and stylish design. Because of my slim build, most mens watches look awkward on me. Since purchasing the watch, I have received several compliments about how the watch "fits my arm." I would definitely purchase again if something happened to this one.
on November 1, 2010
My last watch, a Seiko, somehow became magnetized after less than one year on my arm. That is the second watch to get magnetized in less than one year. The only watch that worked flawlessly for me, but didn't keep very good time, was my Rolex GMT Master II, but I digress. So, I needed a new watch. After seeing what is out there, I developed the following criteria: digital (no moving parts to get magnetized), solar (I don't like automatics or batteries), atomic sync around the world (I like accurate), world time (I travel to Asian and Europe), water resistant (I never take my watch off), and all for less than $100.

After careful research, I found the Casio GWM 850-1CR and ordered it. I LOVE this watch! It meets all of the criteria listed above, plus some. It is very light weight and not big, like other G Shock watches from Casio. There is nothing I dislike about this watch and highly recommend it!
on July 9, 2009
For manual of this watch, please see link below:
[...]

This is the second G-Shock watch I own. I like its "multi band 6" feature because I often go to Europe and China to visit my relatives. All I need to do is to set home city and this watch automatically synchronizes to local radio signal. Other features include solar powered (no battery change is needed), shock resistant, and tough watch band, etc.

This watch receives radio signal 6 times per day. Once it synchronizes successfully, the remaining auto receiving operations will not be performed. I live in DC area, and I have no problem receiving radio signal. Most times it succeeds at the first attempt around 12:04am.

Overall I think this watch has all the features a watch is supposed to have. If you'd like to have a watch as a jewelry and don't care about accuracy, go buy a Rolex.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations