5.0 out of 5 stars Feature-packed watch, great for the outdoors.
Published 16 months ago by Albatros

2.0 out of 5 stars Display is terrible
I bought the GWM5610-1 for myself and absolutely love it. However I bought the GWX5600c-7 with the reverse display for my wife who is a nurse and under most conditions the display is almost unreadable. I am going to give it away and buy her a Casio with a normal display.
Published 6 months ago by G. Almond

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature-packed watch, great for the outdoors., July 14, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's GWX5600C-7 G-Shock G-LIDE White Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
I'm very happy with my Casio GWX5600C-7. The fit and finish is very good. I was attracted to this watch because of the 'negative' display (light colored characters against a black background.) The black display stands out against the bright white glossy case and band for a unique look. Be aware that this type of display is not that great in low light situations. This watch is at its best outside in daylight. There is the option to press the illumination button, but the instructions warn that repeated illuminations will drain the battery. This is a solar-charged watch and it requires a bit more involvement on the users part to maintain an adequate power reserve. I put the watch out in the sun whenever possible. So far the power indicator has not dropped below 'high'. I don't want to make it sound like keeping the watch charged is a lot of trouble. I have three solar watches, two G-Shocks and a Citizen Eco-Drive. I wear all three on a rotating basis and leave them in the sun for an hour or two whenever it's convienient. So far none of them have shown any signs of running down.
To get the most out of the GWX5600C-7, you need to read the manual. Casio refers to their watch movements as 'modules'. This watch uses Module 3222, and the included manual is very detailed and well written. My favorite features of this module are the negative display, moon phase graphic, MultiBand-6 radio controlled timekeeping, and the ability to set four different alarms.
The negative display shows the part of the moon that is illuminated in a light color, which more accurately represents its actual appearance in the sky.
The radio-controlled timekeeping function on my watch works well. I performed a manual receive operation when it arrived without difficulty. The watch displays the signal strength of the time broadcast and the time and date of the last successful receive operation. Automatic reception has been successful every night .
I like having four alarms available. Setting is not difficult. There is also a cascading countdown timer that alternates between two user defined intervals. It can be set to repeat up to ten times. It's a neat feature, but so far I can't think of anything to use it for. There is of course the usual stopwatch function as well.
If you are considering this watch, I recommend that you download the manual from the Casio website and read it first. There are quite a few features that I have not mentioned. I can say that everything that I have tried to do on the watch has worked exactly as described in the instructions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Display is terrible, May 1, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great versatile watch from Casio, November 27, 2013
Great versatile watch! I use this in the ED and it works well with the negative display given the lighting. I wear it all the time, even in the shower or pool, and it hasn't failed me yet. The moon and tidal charts are neat features too because I occasionally go on boardwalks or rent a canoe so it's good to know. Plus you can try to correlate all the weird cases coming in with high tides or full moons. As a side note, it won't sync properly if you have the daylight savings time (took me a day to figure that out) - so make sure to fix your daylight savings time settings if you watch isn't syncing properly!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but ....., October 30, 2013
I like everything about this watch except it is hard to see the time. My eyesight isn't the best without my reading glasses but I can usually tell time on my other watches without them. Can't say the same for this watch. And since I bought this watch for surfing/swimming, I'm not going to be wearing my reading glasses. Still a very nice watch with cool features. Just not the best for those with aging eyesight like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again., February 17, 2014
I love the watch! Has all of the features that I wanted. Its slim, fits under sleeves and the tide feature is really usefull for surfing. Its easy to read when its bright or really dark, but when its cloudy or indoor fim lighting you need to have it at a good angle to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp looking watch, March 27, 2014
Great looking watch, loaded with features. Syncing to the atomic clock works well (better than on other watches I have) - it manages to sync practically every night. The green backlight looks amazing -- however I wish the display was easier to read in daylight (hence the 4 stars but think of it as 4+). I would absolutely recommend this watch to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great watch - style and function, August 12, 2013
A. Pong "karaoke888" (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
pros: stylish, g shock toughness, unique reverse LCD display, multiple functions, light weight, solar powered reserve battery.

cons: harder to read display in low light conditions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Illegible Reverse Display, May 29, 2014
I love Casio G-Shocks and own quite a few. But the one thing that Casio cannot figure out is how to make a readable reverse display. The standard black on white displays are quite legible, although Casio appears to be making the digit size smaller and smaller on each new generation of watches. The white on black displays are terrible, and this watch is no exception. It is simply too dull to read in daylight, and even in dimmer light, not that clear. You can use the backlight, but the backlight doesn't stay on that long (and drains battery quickly), so if you need to perform a function, e.g., setting the timer, you'll have to constantly engage the backlight.

I own a Suunto Ambit, and its reverse display is perfectly legible in both bright and dim light. Other than the display, some might not find the shiny white band to their liking. It appears that it will wear over time. Otherwise, a very fashionable and reliable timepiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, Love the way it looks, November 21, 2014
This watch is awesome and looks good, it has actually become my go to watch for daily use. The straps are really tough so I go to the gym, biking and swimming confident it will stay on. The only thing (and the reason for the 4 stars) is that the straps got a little stained on the edges and I haven't been able to clean them with any product. Other than that this was a great purchase and would recommend to anyone. It even has a lot of functions like tides and moon indicators I don't get, but surely someone else would appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slick watch! =), September 9, 2014
Constantine (Cerritos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
i am happy with casio for making this retro g-shock watch in white. i love my red version so much, i eneded up buying this white version also. what makes it more awsome is its updated with atomic solar! this watch looks real slick. on the glass face, its black in the center with a blue border. the white is smooth and shiny. whenever i wear this watch, it draws a lot of attention just like my red version does. i love this watch!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›