5.0 out of 5 stars This phone has held up for months now
Published 24 months ago by D. T. Kleven

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen Problems
I have had this phone for about 15 months. I liked it at first, until the screen acted strangely one day. I opened the phone and all the colors were wrong and the display was showing everything upside-down and backwards. That was probably after owning the phone for 8 months. I had a 1 year warranty so I brought it back and got a shiny new replacement.
I had no...
Published 21 months ago by Dunham

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone has held up for months now, January 3, 2013
D. T. Kleven (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I'm a contractor, self-employed, and tough on phones. I used to have the - Samsung Convoy U640 Phone for Verizon Wireless Network with No Contract (Gray) Rugged which was a good phone, though the front screen cracked pretty early on, and I just had to deal with it. When I was ready for an upgrade, I tried out a VERIZON WIRELESS CELL PHONE MOTOROLA BARRAGE V860 V 860 NO CONTRACT REQUIRED WORKS ON VERIZON WIRELESS. HORRIBLE! the front screen broke after a few weeks, and the main screen went blank and quit working. Useless. And this was after I tried out two different protective cases, neither of which did the job either.

I decided to give this G'Zone phone a try and have LOVED it, better than any phone I've had yet. Nothing has cracked or broken, I've dropped it several times, and it is still going strong. I rely on my phone heavily in order to run my business, and it has been trustworthy and reliable. I'm tough on phones, but this one has done awesome so far. I just have to be sure I don't lose it in a snowbank somewhere.

HIGHLY recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen Problems, March 12, 2013
Dunham (Barrington, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I had no problems with the replacement until recently. I am getting the same display problems I had before. The Verizon store workers told me they have seen this with this phone before; it is a wire that comes loose from the body to the display. My 1 year warranty is apparently good for 1 year from when I got the original phone, so now I don't have a good phone and am looking for a replacement.
If you get this phone, I wish you luck and I hope you don't have this problem. Keep in mind though, the same problem has happened to me twice now and the store has seen it from others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, serious screen and clock bug, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
UPDATE: Screen Problems (like Dunham says):

I love this phone, it's absolutely the best phone I've had (including a Galaxy Nexus), but it's unusable due to an unresolved issue. The screen will reverse colors and appear mirrored after opening and closing it a couple times. The only way to fix it is to reboot. It worked fine for a few months, but everything Dunham says is true.

This combined with the clock bug means two likely easy software fixes completely ruin the best phone I've used. Not sure what flip phone can compete with this, I might have to switch to a Razr.

Previous review:

I'm not a smartphone person at all. I've had a Galaxy Nexus in their heyday and it didn't "do it" for me, so I decided I'm happy with flip phones. This is probably my favorite phone I've ever owned, since it emphasizes durability, one of flip phones' biggest advantages. I basically use my phone for three things: Texting, Alarm Clock, Phone Calls in that order.

Texting and calls are about as good as any other phone. It doesn't feel sluggish in any regard, has a big screen, and has an amount of heft for better or worse. The biggest problem is the clock bug (which as far as I can tell has never been/will never be fixed). Every week or two, the clock will just freeze on a time (or get reset by 6 hours, or something), so your alarms won't ring or won't be correct. This phone can NEVER be trusted as an alarm clock, which is a pretty big disadvantage.

Little apps and all that garbage are better than most flip phone fare, but "apps" aren't the reason to get a flip phone. The things like the Stopwatch and Star Gazing app run surprisingly well, at a high framerate. If this phone came out in 2005, it would be the absolute hotness. In 2013, I'll deal with the unfortunate clock bug for the sake of a great phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic and Then Some, July 10, 2013
D. Mills (South Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First, a couple words about the Amazon vendor Wireless4Cheap: Exceptional service! At their price - compared to eBay prices - I was concerned about the cosmetic condition of the phone. They were quick to respond with detailed images of the like-new phone, screen protectors still in place. And then they were quick to ship...it arrived FOUR DAYS EARLY.

On to the phone itself:

Smartphones, though I've used them for several years, simply don't meet my needs. Dragging my sometimes cruddy fingers across a screen just to answer a call seems stupid to me. I've long preferred just opening the flip. Nor do I need to get on FB, email, games, maps, apps, etc., every waking moment. I have a life.

For the Interweb, I'm perfectly happy with a 4G mobile hotspot and a tablet (or lappy). And, golly, I can talk, surf, upload, etc., simultaneously. I'm still paying less for all that flexibility than most of my friends who have 4G smartphones alone.

Current generic flips, imo, are just that. Generic. And, for my use, more fragile than I'd like. I don't worry about dropping this one, getting it wet or dirty. Rinse it off. Done.

Among the tough phones there have been a few decent choices like the Motorola Brute i686 Rugged PTT For Sprint (now obsolete since Sprint pulled the plug on iDEN 07/01/13) or Sprint Kyocera DuraXT No Contract MIL-SPEC Rugged PTT 3MP Camera Cell Phone Series. Alternatively, a not-so-tough VERIZON WIRELESS CELL PHONE MOTOROLA BARRAGE V860 V 860 NO CONTRACT REQUIRED WORKS ON VERIZON WIRELESS or Samsung Rugby 2 A847 Unlocked GSM Ruggedized Phone PTT GPS 3G, etc. Most of them stick to dull clamshell designs (Moto Barrage, MOTOROLA TUNDRA VA76r UNLOCKED PTT GPS RUGGED AT&T UNLOCKED with stubby, Samsung Convoy 2 Verizon).

When I had the original Casio G'zOne Type-V Verizon Cell Phone years ago, I loved it and sometimes regretted selling it for a smartphone. This one caught my eye about a year ago.

For my tastes, it looks like a MotoRAZR on steroids - considerably more so than the Motorola V750 Adventure PTT Rugged Grey Phone Verizon - and actually rugged. Yes, most of it rubberized. No mistaking it for a Moto, however. It's more like a "What-Is-It". Hey, I still have to use this...in public!

Ravine 2 is not for everyone. Unlike the legacy Casio GzOne Ravine Verizon (which I'd considered, except for the weird offset keys difficult to dial by feel), no MP3 player. That's fine. Got a 16GB Walkman with FM. This G'Zone has a healthy, for a flip, 3.2MP camera while most others got stuck at 2MP. Dedicated cam button. Easy. Dedicated speaker buttons inside and out. Easy. And, okay I'll admit it, the LED flashlight is very cool. And a very useful tool I've missed since the Type V. (Already used it this afternoon while digging into the back of someone's computer).

The 1150mAh battery (4˝ hours/21days) is perfectly sufficient, but I like having the option of an affordable OEM 1430mAh extended battery and cover.

Finally, I'll note I used Page Plus (Verizon MVNO based in the U.S.) for activation. Boost (Sprint MVNO) severely restricts types of Sprint devices it will accept (i.e., nothing with PTT), Not surprisingly in my experience, Virgin (also Sprint MVNO) customer service hasn't even a clue it's even on Sprint's BYOD list...or even what BYOD is! The Page Plus plan (talk/text) is at a fraction of any Verizon plan. Activation - ported my old number - is a little convoluted, but worth it. I'm still on Verizon's network which has a particularly robust signal here in hurricane country. Everything I need. Nothing I don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars durable phone, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I'm very hard on phones and so far (1 month since I received it) this one is holding up just fine. There are all kinds of features on it that I don't know how to use. so far the only one I've mastered is the thermometer. I haven't had any of the speaker issues other reviewers had problems with. My one (very small) gripe is charging it. It's a little more work to open the port to charge and to put the cover back on after charging. I'm assuming this has something to do with the waterproof factor so I'm not really complaining here it if protects me in the long run when I eventually drop my phone in the pool :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great company to deal with!, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The service and product exceeded my every need. this was a replacement phone for one that died on me. I am amazed at the good product and service. I am very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars its a really nice phone, July 28, 2013
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Its a nice phone and I really like it a lot and I can use it for work and I am going to use it as my regular phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars When the hubby's happy..., September 22, 2013
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Finally... a phone that made the hubby happy. He's a rough guy and needed a phone that could keep up. He has the Brigade, but it was becoming too bulky and cumbersome. Voila... the Ravine 2 appears! It is tough, great call quality and has a nice appearance to it. Its not bulky and offers a nice loud speaker. Best of all, I can place it on Page Plus!

3.0 out of 5 stars some bugs, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
It works but it has some weird bugs in it. First the voice quality sounds tinny. Then the phone sometimes has everything up side down on the screen and if you turn it off then it goes away. There might be some more bugs but they're not too bad, yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Standard Phone, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Casio GzOne Ravine 2 Verizon (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Purchased this as a gift for a parent who didn't want a Smart Phone. Verizon wanted $199 WITH A CONTRACT RENEWAL for this item, but the price here was less than half that! It is a great phone, we threw it around a few times to test it out and dipped it in some water and it works fine.

The screen is very large and clear and easy to read, it is simple to navigate if you have used flip phones in the past. The ringer is EXTREMELY LOUD, so loud that it still sometimes scares my father when it goes off (and he can't hear that well!).

This is a great phone, I would certainly buy another one if I needed a flip phone or something for rugged conditions!