Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's HDDS100-1AVCF Solar Digital 200M Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 15, 2012
+ Quality is great. Unlike many other cheap Casio watches the "mineral glass" is actually glass and not plastic. The wrist band, housing and buttons are over-sized and gives a solid impression
+ The user interface is basic and to the point, and in my opinion, the retro look trumps the modern day g-shocks aesthetically.
+ Uses a capacitor rather than rechargeable lithium battery. While a capacitor can only go a few weeks without sunlight, it is (unlike a rechargeable) near impossible to destroy by over-discharging, overheating or just aging.

- Contrary to Amazon product description this watch DOES NOT have a light of any kind. There just is no way to read the time without an external light source.
- Clasp is made of plastic, about the only weak point quality wise.

If you can live without a LED, this may very well be the watch for you. For me this is a deal breaker and while I am sad to part with this bad boy, it is going back to Amazon.
on April 20, 2013
This watch is awesome!
I have it already one month and I am happy with it! For me this watch has only pros.
Before ordering it, I knew, that it doesn't have a back light. It isn't important for me because on my previous Casio watches I rarely used light. I have never been in totally dark place and I was always able to check time with minimal surrounding light. Anyway classic watches don't have light at all but nobody says that is bad.
It looks fantastic on my wrist! No other watches have the similar design! With solar batteries on display the watch looks like sophisticated futuristic device. I had two G-Shocks, one is 7 years old and other is 2. When I got the second one nobody even noticed that I have new watch! Because all G-Shocks look like a hockey puck with almost the same design with bunch of plastic and annoying circles on display!
This watch has everything what I need from digital watch: alarms, countdown timer, stopwatch, solar power and mineral crystal. High quality materials and assembly make it real 200M water resist!
I am impressed with such a unique watch from Casio. I highly recommend it anyone who appreciates the reliability and know the value of good things!
******************************
Update:
I have this watch for 2 years now and it still looks like a new. The plastic is very tough. The glass doesn't have any scratches on it.
I am wearing this watch every day - with jeans, with suits, with swimming shorts...
I love it! Never get tired from its unique design and "spartan" features!
I think Casio don't make this model any more, it is really difficult to find them on sale today.
on May 29, 2013
Cheap, Cheerful & 200 metres water resistant.

Add to that it's 100% solar powered with only a capacitor and not a battery and you get a very economical watch!

It's built nicely and is comfortable on your wrist, just the right size for a medium sized mans wrist.

Highly Recommended.
on August 8, 2013
I’ve been wearing this watch for about 2 weeks now and so far I like it a lot. I was very excited when I got it and immediately tried charging it under a standard lamp for a few hours expecting it to work but only got 15 seconds of use before the charge was exhausted. The next day I charged it in the sun for about 3 hours and it has been working well ever since. Reading the instructions would have told me this but, hey, I’m a guy!

The controls are simple and easy to operate and I especially appreciate the mineral glass window for scratch resistance. The “dead” button for the light serves as a convenient rest for your finger as you manipulate the opposing buttons. These buttons seem to operate more smoothly than my recently purchased Timex watch. Oh, if you want a light then check out the WS200H-1BVCF which is more stylish and says it has an LED light. It’s also about $6 more.

I am not sure of how many cycles you can expect out of the capacitor but I suppose keeping it charged will help prolong its life. I plan on keeping mine charged as much as possible.

Since this watch is so “obviously” solar powered it appealed to the nerd in me - don’t expect Tag type styling is what I’m trying to say. All in all I am “pretty to very” satisfied with this watch. It’s functional and durable while being very reasonably priced.
on December 16, 2013
No light for this watch but it is not a big issue. I like the concept which is not functioned using battery. I've done an experiment, put the watch under the sun around 90 mins, it can stand for around 2 weeks.
Nice design, easy to use, very suitable for sport ppl.Price is totally reasonable. A must have I think.
on August 15, 2013
I have become a bit of a watch freak, unintentionally. I certainly did not need another watch, but could not pass this one up. A solar-powered Casio rated to 200 meters for 19.99? I'll take it. It arrived charged and then I left it on the stand and put it on the window sill for a few afternoons facing the setting sun. So far it's keeping excellent time. I am not quite clear on how often it has be be placed in the sun, but that shouldn't be a problem. The slightly recessed face appears to be quality clear mineral crystal. I have worn it mountain biking a few times, or at least what passes for mountain biking around here. The buttons stick out and are easy to press, even with gloves on. It is thinner too, than the similar-appearing G-Shock series. Also, this has a capacitor in it, as opposed to a battery, which supposedly never needs replaced, unlike, even my solar powered battery containing G-Shocks will charge for only so many battery cycles. The only minuses are I have to hold the watch away from my face sometimes, to read without reading glasses, and no illumination, but that's what your cell phone is for!
on October 16, 2015
This is a great watch! It arrived "dead" so I've put it on the window sill for a day to give it a good charge under the strong Californian sun. By the time I returned home from work, the charge indicator was gone and the watch was ready to be set and strapped on to my wrist. Solid case almost like a G-Shock, with mineral crystal and soft rubber strap. 200m water resistant! What else do you need? A $7k luxury "douche bag" watch? No way!
This watch has 5 alarms, hourly chime, stopwatch and countdown timer! Of course there is no light/illuminator since this watch uses a capacitor to store power but who needs a light? At night when it's dark I'm at sleep!
This watch looks like it will last for a while and you'll not get mugged for that watch!
If your looking for a multi-functional, LOW/NO MAINTENANCE watch, look no further!
Again: YOU NEED TO CHARGE FOR ONE DAY IN BRIGHT LIGHT FIRST when it comes out of the box, only then it will work flawlessly even in darkness!

Update 10/29/15: I love this watch even more! No problems with battery charge, I use the alarm daily plus the hourly signal. Pretty accurate, gains only one second in ten days!

Update 11/21/15: Still runs perfectly! I had it sitting in a drawer for one week and it held the charge, no low-power indication!

Update 1/23/16: I haven't worn it in a while due to no outdoor activities in winter (I have lots of other watches) but let it sit in indirect daylight. Still running strong and no low-power indicator! Still 5 Stars!
review image
on February 4, 2015
I bought this to use as my Dive Watch. I know - CASIO has a disclaimer that states do not use this for diving.... I have been diving with Casio watches for about thirty years. I have never had one fail on me yet. This watch is a bit different. It does not use a battery at all. It uses a solar panel to charge a capacitor which powers the watch. Until the watch is fully charged it will lose it's programming. Once charged it will run for several days in complete darkness. I received this watch and promptly went on a trip where we went snorkeling with the Manatees at Crystal River FL. The watch was in the water for at least ten hours over two days and did not have a problem. Since we not on SCUBA it only got to about 20 or so feet with it. This is a very well built watch. While not as rugged as a Casio "G Shock," it is rugged enough to handle the rigors that most people would put it through. The buttons are large enough to activate even while wearing gloves. My only concern is that of longevity. I am hoping that since a batter does not need to be replaced that it will run longer than other watches that I have retired because of concerns of water resistance following a battery replacement. If it holds up as well as I hope this will have been a GREAT purchase. If it is only as good as the watches that proceeded it it would still be a good buy. Short version: I LIKE THIS WATCH!
on February 28, 2016
Just wanted to add my 5 stars to the others. I have been wearing this for a couple of weeks now and very happy with everything about it.

Things that I like:
- Clear, sharp LCD display that is easy to read even though some elements are quite small.
- Charging. Initially, it took awhile to get this charged to the point that it could function. I had to leave it in the window a couple of days since it was cloudy and rainy here at the time. BUT, once it was charged it stayed charged with just the available light from me wearing it. There is a charge indicator, but I never notice that it is on even in the morning after being in the dark all night. The manual states that the equivalent of 1 day, or maybe 1/2 day, per month should be enough to keep it going. Solar panels charge a capacitor and not a battery which is supposed to last much longer.
- There are only 3 simple buttons that are easy to tell if you have pressed them.
- The watch body and wristband are metal covered with some kind of cool feeling, velvety material that is very comfortable to wear. I wear it to work and, so far, it seems to not show bumps or scratches.
- Manual states that it is waterproof to 200M and suitable for showering and scuba diving. I don't know this from experience and don't scuba dive but it is always good to know just how waterproof your watch is supposed to be.

Things that I don't like:
- No light. Really this doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I knew it when I bought the watch. But lots of people seem to ask about it so I thought that I would state, for sure, that it doesn't have one. To me, if that omission makes the watch last longer on solar power then I am all for it.
- There is nothing else that I don't like.
on March 6, 2014
I actually did not realize that you need a good beam of sunlight for a few hours to get this watch started. I put it under a lamp for a few hours and it didn't respond well.

The watch stays relatively accurate - there seems to be about a +/- 10 second difference between the watch and my atomic watch so its great!

Pricing is great - only down side is no nightlight/night glow - but only 4/5 was because of the difficulty in recharging the watch!