5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler than expected...
Published 19 months ago by D. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Hit AND miss
Published 5 months ago by Jason A. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler than expected..., January 3, 2013
D. Smith (Columbia, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's MTGM900DA-8 G-Shock Stainless Steel Tough Solar Atomic Digital Watch (Watch)
This is a brand new watch from Casio in their G-Shock line. It's an upgrade to the MTG900DA-8v. The biggest differences are the "Time Memo" function in the older version is replaced with a much more functional and desirable "Countdown Timer," and this new version sports a 6-band receiver in place of the older single band receiver. This means the watch can receive signals from all over the world rather than just in the US making this version the best choice from world travelers.

As a note to those reading some of the negative, battery related reviews on the old version, PLEASE READ the manual. It has plenty of relevant and useful info related to how the battery is charged, how it's drained, how long it takes to charge under various types of light, etc. Turning on every possible function will, of course, drain the battery faster. Then putting in under a shirt or coat sleeve will not allow it to charge. Even partially covered, some or all of the solar cells may be blocked. The dark areas around the face are actually 6 solar cells; 2each at the top/bottom and one each on the sides. They are all required to properly charge the battery.

When I received this watch, it was fully charged and last sync was on 12/24. I got it on Jan. 2 and it was about 2 seconds fast. That means it gained about 2 seconds/week which is less than the tolerance of 15 seconds/month if not synced for that long. It attempts to sync up to 6 times/day in all but China where it will try 5 times/day. In any case, once it successfully syncs for the day, it will not do it again until the next day. I followed the clear instructions to manually sync it rather than wait for the next cycle and it got it to within a fraction of a second. The sync cycle can take 2 to 7 minutes and syncs both time and date data, if available from the sync source. In the USA, both are provided.

The band is the standard folder clasp style and comes large enough to fit most guys. I removed 3 links to fit my wrist. There's a clasp adjustment within a half link for variations is weather and swelling/contraction of the wrist. Nice feature. The clasp overall seems secure and requires depressing buttons on either side so it's not likely to just come undone during normal activities.

Some people have complained about some plastic parts on the case. The base structure is metal and the plastic is there. However, it appears that the plastic is strategically placed so as to help protect the case and face from shock or other bumps/bruises. Also, the crystal is recessed significantly so it would be protected from the typical brushing against anything that might scratch it. This is an important point considering it's got solar collection cells in there that must not be obstructed.

The warranty is one year. I'd hoped it would be longer for a watch of this price. However, my experience with Casio products has been good enough for me to buy without worrying too much.

Overall, I'm really pleased and hope to have this watch for many years. My old Timex broke awhile back and I've been searching for something worthy of my time and money. I think I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-around watch, April 24, 2013
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing this every day for a week. It is my 5th G-Shock. Here are my first impressions. I will update this review later, as I notice more things. (although I already notice a lot, as I'm a watch collector)

+ Bracelet doesn't pull arm hairs. Center links are folded, outer edges are solid; I'm not sure how Casio does this!
+ Bracelet doesn't have a "tail" that comes untucked, like most G-Shocks
+ Solar/Atomic
+ Big main display
+ Useless Time Memo function is replaced by a useful Countdown Timer on this latest model
+ Nice bold, contrasty LCD segments
+ Prominent "radar dish" display at the bottom, to show that the watch radio-sync'd with the atomic clock the previous night.
+ Light button is convenient and serves only that purpose; it is never mixed up with any other button.
+ Bracelet and silver/gray color them dresses up this G-Shock to the point that it can be worn with business casual dress. Finally, I can wear a G-Shock to work, without feeling like some punk kid. ;)
+ Bracelet links are held in place with small spring bars, not friction pins like on most bracelets. This is very nice, as they will never accidentally loosen over time, and all that is needed to size the bracelet is a push pin or a small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. (just take care to trap the open end, so you don't fire it across the room or into your eye)

- Time of day is only displayed on the home screen and alarm screen. It should also be displayed in the bottom of the display for World Time, Stopwatch, and Timer screens, IMO.
- Champaign-colored parts that connect the watch head to the bracelet don't match either part. This is weird, but not a deal-killer for me.
- 'ADJUST' button requires a VERY hard, continued push to work.
- I would like to see the 'return to home' functionality re-introduced into Casio's modern digital watches. The old one, such as the CA53W calculator watch, and the 5600C G-Shock had this feature. How it works is that if one makes a change or uses one of the sub-features (for example, starting the stopwatch) then the next press of the MODE button takes me back to the home screen. This saves a lot of button-pushing! Casio should update the firmware to implement this and the time-of-day feature in future production.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 26, 2013
This watch is great in almost every respect....
I am so glad they got rid of the time memo function because it was useless, I couldn't think of any reasons for the normal person to use it, and the new countdown timer is tremendously more useful.
The watch is 100% zero maintenance; self setting, self charging and very durable, my old lasting 8 years literally never off for more than a moment here or there. Also, it does look rather stylish, from three piece suit, to bathing suit.

The only reason I give it a 4 is that the old model, in each sub-facing (time zones, alarm and stopwatch) the current time was displayed along the bottom, so even when using another function, you could always also know the time, a detail I find myself rather sorely missing.

I do very much enjoy this watch and would recommend it to anyone who might be interested in one like this, but as with the last model, I feel that Casio built it towards perfection but missing for those one or two fine details.

5.0 out of 5 stars shockingly great watch, February 7, 2013
I braught this watch more as a better watch as I already have the older model(MTGM900DA-8V) which I wear at work.That model is a fantastic watch & this one is no different. It is great looking, feels comfortable when wearing & has everything on it I need. This model has a few updated features such as the count down timer. Overall this is an awesome watch & as with all G-Shock watches the functions are very easy to use & if you have owned one before the functions are similar to use as other G-Shock's. Would definatley recommend this watch to anyone who wants a great watch at a good price & one that is practically indistructable. Well worth the money.10/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hit AND miss, February 11, 2014
I bought this watch somewhere around 2 years ago. At first, it was great. The auto dim/light feature works well, it is very user friendly and quite durable. Ive worn this watch for 2 tours in the middle east and there is only minimal wear (no notable damage what so ever) on it. The features it boats are easy to utilize, even without going through the owners manual.

A few months ago I started encountering issues with it. I read one review by a customer on Amazon who had issues charging all the way and maintaining its charge. I have encountered the same issue. I have left it out in the desert sun in the middle east (not going to get much more sunlight than that) for the duration of the day, and the battery still only went up to the "Medium" level and then died 2 days later. Its at the point now where it has gotten so bad, that its no longer worth owning. If you only need a watch for 1 year, this is the one for you. Otherwise, move onto other options.

5.0 out of 5 stars G-Shock Solar Atomic Time Watches, March 8, 2013
This is my third Casio Atomic watch in just over thirteen years. It's my third because I wanted a change of looks, not because the other ones failed. They still work like they are just out of the box. They are sturdy, precise, attractive and never need a battery! I will never buy another name. There are no cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, March 22, 2013
I've had this watch for about 2 weeks now. I came about 1/2 charged. I left it in the sun
for 4 hours on my deck like the directions said to. It's nice quality, a bit smaller than
I expected. Since charging it it's stayed on a full charge. The display is large and it has
a lot of great features. I use the chronograph and countdown timer quite a bit and purchased
this watch because for the countdown feature that was just put on the new model. I've owned
quite a few of the lower priced casio watches over the years, and this one is worth the extra
$$ from what I can tell so far. I'll let you know what I think after owning a few years and
see how it holds up.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment - Not now!, December 8, 2013
So I've had the watch less than two months. Now it does not want to hold a charge. Wear it a couple of days, charge goes to LOW. Recharge it and wear it a day, charge goes to LOW. Don't wear the watch at all for five days, leaving it exposed to a light source the entire time. Charge goes back to MEDIUM. Wear it ONE day and it completely discharges (no display at all). Now I find out I can't return it so I guess I just bought a fairly expensive watch I can't use. If anyone should know other options for me it would be appreciated cause that's a lot of money to waste.

February 9, 2014 - Not long after I wrote the above review, the watch suddenly started to work as it should. The battery has been consistently staying at medium charge (which is normal for solar watches in the winter time). Don't know why it did what it did before but it sure seems to be working fine now. I will have to change my rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 14, 2014
I ordered this watch because my son has one like it and is happy with it. I have not gotten the watch to charge fully no matter how much sun I expose it to.the buttons are very difficult to press when trying to set it manually.The time is not right and I will be returning it this week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged watch, great features., August 16, 2013
I bought this watch to replace my MTG-910DA. I bought the 910 in 2006, it still works great! The band just crapped out. After careful consideration, and reading other reviews I chose the 900. When the watch arrived I was really excited to open the box and check it out. With my watch I had to "charge" it for 2 days in a sunny window sill to get the charge level to medium. some of the features cannot activate unless the solar cell is to this level. The atomic clock feature works great for my location. My watch receives the signal from Ft. Collins Colorado, and I live in Georgia. Another great feature is that the old time record is replaced with a timer. This watch works great for me. The solar level never drops below high. I adjusted the band myself. Look for the small arrows on the bands underside, use a jewelers flathead screwdriver and push the notch down and take out the links that you need. Also there is a fine tune adjustment on the clasp. Great watch!

Rate and Discover Movies