on January 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is a brand new watch from Casio in their G-Shock line. It's an upgrade to the MTG900DA-8v. The biggest differences are the "Time Memo" function in the older version is replaced with a much more functional and desirable "Countdown Timer," and this new version sports a 6-band receiver in place of the older single band receiver. This means the watch can receive signals from all over the world rather than just in the US making this version the best choice from world travelers.

As a note to those reading some of the negative, battery related reviews on the old version, PLEASE READ the manual. It has plenty of relevant and useful info related to how the battery is charged, how it's drained, how long it takes to charge under various types of light, etc. Turning on every possible function will, of course, drain the battery faster. Then putting in under a shirt or coat sleeve will not allow it to charge. Even partially covered, some or all of the solar cells may be blocked. The dark areas around the face are actually 6 solar cells; 2each at the top/bottom and one each on the sides. They are all required to properly charge the battery.

When I received this watch, it was fully charged and last sync was on 12/24. I got it on Jan. 2 and it was about 2 seconds fast. That means it gained about 2 seconds/week which is less than the tolerance of 15 seconds/month if not synced for that long. It attempts to sync up to 6 times/day in all but China where it will try 5 times/day. In any case, once it successfully syncs for the day, it will not do it again until the next day. I followed the clear instructions to manually sync it rather than wait for the next cycle and it got it to within a fraction of a second. The sync cycle can take 2 to 7 minutes and syncs both time and date data, if available from the sync source. In the USA, both are provided.

The band is the standard folder clasp style and comes large enough to fit most guys. I removed 3 links to fit my wrist. There's a clasp adjustment within a half link for variations is weather and swelling/contraction of the wrist. Nice feature. The clasp overall seems secure and requires depressing buttons on either side so it's not likely to just come undone during normal activities.

Some people have complained about some plastic parts on the case. The base structure is metal and the plastic is there. However, it appears that the plastic is strategically placed so as to help protect the case and face from shock or other bumps/bruises. Also, the crystal is recessed significantly so it would be protected from the typical brushing against anything that might scratch it. This is an important point considering it's got solar collection cells in there that must not be obstructed.

The warranty is one year. I'd hoped it would be longer for a watch of this price. However, my experience with Casio products has been good enough for me to buy without worrying too much.

Overall, I'm really pleased and hope to have this watch for many years. My old Timex broke awhile back and I've been searching for something worthy of my time and money. I think I found it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I've been wearing this every day for a week. It is my 5th G-Shock. Here are my first impressions. I will update this review later, as I notice more things. (although I already notice a lot, as I'm a watch collector)

+ Bracelet doesn't pull arm hairs. Center links are folded, outer edges are solid; I'm not sure how Casio does this!
+ Bracelet doesn't have a "tail" that comes untucked, like most G-Shocks
+ Solar/Atomic
+ Big main display
+ Useless Time Memo function is replaced by a useful Countdown Timer on this latest model
+ Nice bold, contrasty LCD segments
+ Prominent "radar dish" display at the bottom, to show that the watch radio-sync'd with the atomic clock the previous night.
+ Light button is convenient and serves only that purpose; it is never mixed up with any other button.
+ Bracelet and silver/gray color them dresses up this G-Shock to the point that it can be worn with business casual dress. Finally, I can wear a G-Shock to work, without feeling like some punk kid. ;)
+ Bracelet links are held in place with small spring bars, not friction pins like on most bracelets. This is very nice, as they will never accidentally loosen over time, and all that is needed to size the bracelet is a push pin or a small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. (just take care to trap the open end, so you don't fire it across the room or into your eye)

- Time of day is only displayed on the home screen and alarm screen. It should also be displayed in the bottom of the display for World Time, Stopwatch, and Timer screens, IMO.
- Champaign-colored parts that connect the watch head to the bracelet don't match either part. This is weird, but not a deal-killer for me.
- 'ADJUST' button requires a VERY hard, continued push to work.
- I would like to see the 'return to home' functionality re-introduced into Casio's modern digital watches. The old one, such as the CA53W calculator watch, and the 5600C G-Shock had this feature. How it works is that if one makes a change or uses one of the sub-features (for example, starting the stopwatch) then the next press of the MODE button takes me back to the home screen. This saves a lot of button-pushing! Casio should update the firmware to implement this and the time-of-day feature in future production.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
This watch is great in almost every respect....
I am so glad they got rid of the time memo function because it was useless, I couldn't think of any reasons for the normal person to use it, and the new countdown timer is tremendously more useful.
The watch is 100% zero maintenance; self setting, self charging and very durable, my old lasting 8 years literally never off for more than a moment here or there. Also, it does look rather stylish, from three piece suit, to bathing suit.

The only reason I give it a 4 is that the old model, in each sub-facing (time zones, alarm and stopwatch) the current time was displayed along the bottom, so even when using another function, you could always also know the time, a detail I find myself rather sorely missing.

I do very much enjoy this watch and would recommend it to anyone who might be interested in one like this, but as with the last model, I feel that Casio built it towards perfection but missing for those one or two fine details.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
I braught this watch more as a better watch as I already have the older model(MTGM900DA-8V) which I wear at work.That model is a fantastic watch & this one is no different. It is great looking, feels comfortable when wearing & has everything on it I need. This model has a few updated features such as the count down timer. Overall this is an awesome watch & as with all G-Shock watches the functions are very easy to use & if you have owned one before the functions are similar to use as other G-Shock's. Would definatley recommend this watch to anyone who wants a great watch at a good price & one that is practically indistructable. Well worth the money.10/10.
on February 11, 2014
I bought this watch somewhere around 2 years ago. At first, it was great. The auto dim/light feature works well, it is very user friendly and quite durable. Ive worn this watch for 2 tours in the middle east and there is only minimal wear (no notable damage what so ever) on it. The features it boats are easy to utilize, even without going through the owners manual.

A few months ago I started encountering issues with it. I read one review by a customer on Amazon who had issues charging all the way and maintaining its charge. I have encountered the same issue. I have left it out in the desert sun in the middle east (not going to get much more sunlight than that) for the duration of the day, and the battery still only went up to the "Medium" level and then died 2 days later. Its at the point now where it has gotten so bad, that its no longer worth owning. If you only need a watch for 1 year, this is the one for you. Otherwise, move onto other options.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love this watch. I've had this watch for almost 9 years. I wear my watches everywhere except the shower or swimming. Otherwise, it never leaves my wrist. I've never had to change a strap or battery in the past 9 years. Overtime the paint has worn, and its started to crack at the plastic, and some of the buttons have become difficult to press, but I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. So much so to replace it, I bought the same exact model! I did a side by side of the 9 year old and the new one for comparison. The new one feels ever so slightly lighter, but according to my postage scale they weigh nearly the same.
review image review image review image
on March 8, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is my third Casio Atomic watch in just over thirteen years. It's my third because I wanted a change of looks, not because the other ones failed. They still work like they are just out of the box. They are sturdy, precise, attractive and never need a battery! I will never buy another name. There are no cons.
on December 8, 2013
Verified Purchase
So I've had the watch less than two months. Now it does not want to hold a charge. Wear it a couple of days, charge goes to LOW. Recharge it and wear it a day, charge goes to LOW. Don't wear the watch at all for five days, leaving it exposed to a light source the entire time. Charge goes back to MEDIUM. Wear it ONE day and it completely discharges (no display at all). Now I find out I can't return it so I guess I just bought a fairly expensive watch I can't use. If anyone should know other options for me it would be appreciated cause that's a lot of money to waste.

February 9, 2014 - Not long after I wrote the above review, the watch suddenly started to work as it should. The battery has been consistently staying at medium charge (which is normal for solar watches in the winter time). Don't know why it did what it did before but it sure seems to be working fine now. I will have to change my rating.
on March 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
After losing a bidding war on a much older version of this watch, I started researching info on this newer version & decided that this was the Casio that I wanted to be my new watch. I went to a local store to check it out & was very pleased with it.
I already have the basic g-shock dw5600 that I bought here on Amazon a year ago to replace another DW-5600 that finally bit the dust after 15 years of very hard use.. This newest dw model is my 4th one in 40 years of owning these. 1st one I had for only 1 year before I decided to intentionally try to break it. That was rather hard to do until I got a 5lb. ballpeen hammer & set the watch on a concrete slab & then it finally broke.
I was so impressed with how rugged the watch was that I immediately rushed out & bought another one that lasted about 15 to 20 years.
But I wanted this MTG900 because I liked the 'dressier' looks for those times when I'm not at work. I also wanted the Atomic timekeeping function & the Solar function.
I had a cheap Solar Timex that I liked but died after only a year of light use.
So I'm extremely happy with this MTG900 which has everything that I want - solar, atomic, & looks very classy & is likely to last a very long time.
Don't tell Amazon, but I actually STOLE it from them! I paid less for this watch here on Amazon than I paid for that cheap Timex!
I did that by using a small gift card balance & a combination of 2 or 3 Amazon special offers.
I read a lot of negative reviews on this watch that referred to things such as: the manual is so small it's unreadable - all Casio manuals are like that, just go to their site & D/L a pdf manual.
Others said it wasn't fully charged when they got it - mine was but that's easily remedied by setting it near a window.
Some people complained that it came in a cheap, flimsy box - yeah, I agree that it wasn't as nice as the box my other Casio had, but I didn't buy this for the box, so no big deal!
Still others said it was hard to figure out the different settings on this watch - I only care initially that my watch keeps accurate time to begin with, I'll learn the finer points as I go, just like I did with the dw5600 - again,either read the manual or just do a google search on this & you'll find many articles & even several videos explaining the many functions of this.
A lot of reviewers mention that the band is way too big as it comes from the factory & I do agree that you do have to do some adjustments to make it fit. There's a video that explains how to do it. And yes, it was a royal pain in the neck to do, but you should only have to suffer through it once & be done with it. I already had a little tool with different tips that I bought here to use when I switched out the dw5600 band for a more comfortable nylon one & that little tool was a real help in removing the links on this one.
That tool only costs five bucks & worked better for me than using a jeweler's screwdriver.
So... to sum it all up, I really like this watch because: it's very comfortable to wear, band does not pinch my skin like other metal bands - It looks better than the dw5600 - it's very easy to read because of it's rather plain face(something my old eyes really appreciate) - and lastly, the price was right (truth be told, even if I pd. regular price I'd still be happy).
If your looking for a nicer watch but still want something built to withstand a little abuse you can't go wrong with this one!
on August 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this watch to replace my MTG-910DA. I bought the 910 in 2006, it still works great! The band just crapped out. After careful consideration, and reading other reviews I chose the 900. When the watch arrived I was really excited to open the box and check it out. With my watch I had to "charge" it for 2 days in a sunny window sill to get the charge level to medium. some of the features cannot activate unless the solar cell is to this level. The atomic clock feature works great for my location. My watch receives the signal from Ft. Collins Colorado, and I live in Georgia. Another great feature is that the old time record is replaced with a timer. This watch works great for me. The solar level never drops below high. I adjusted the band myself. Look for the small arrows on the bands underside, use a jewelers flathead screwdriver and push the notch down and take out the links that you need. Also there is a fine tune adjustment on the clasp. Great watch!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations