4 out of 5 stars
Casio Men's AQW101-1AV
Price:$42.39 - $100.00

on February 21, 2010
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
Bought this at the same time as a Casio Databank DB35H model. I like this AQW101 "fishing" watch better and will be using it. Just wish it had the 5 alarms like the databank models...

Pros:
1) Face is much easier to read than the DB35H.
2) The analog hands are nice to have. I find myself glacing at those and being able to read them quicker than the digital display at times.
3) The moon and temperature things are nice novelty items :-)
4) The buttons are easy to work with and so far, no problems with them getting hit by accident.
5) The overall style and finish are excellent, especially for the price.
6) The band is good quality (better than on the cheaper DB35H).

Cons:
None really, but if pressed:
1) Its a bit on the big side. Not a problem unless you're "small boned" - and even then, with the band, it conforms well to the wrist.
2) The temperature measurement is modified by your body heat (about +10F)
3) The analog hands sometime cover up the date/etc.

Sorry - no clue on the fishing prediction accuracy ! :-)
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
I like inexpensive sports watches. I can't bring myself to wear a watch to impress, and can't imagine wanting a fancy (and expensive) one. I'm like my dad: when it comes to watches I prefer function to form. I like the digital time, the digital timer and the stopwatch. Unlike my dad, however, who for several years (to my mother's chagrin) wore a calculator watch everywhere he went (God rest his soul, I loved the man), I do like it to look good.

I needed a new watch, and wanted to get one that had both a digital readout and hands. I'm not sure why such watches even exist, but I think they look good, and I'm really happy about this watch. I think it looks good on me, and fits well (and I'm a very tall guy, with big wrists) and it has all the functions I could ever want in a watch (timer, alarm and stopwatch, etc.) plus a few more (the compass dial is a fake, though, and this won't give you directions). It reads temperature (though for that it's only an accurate reading if you take it off, since body heat messes with it, though you can adjust for that if you like - I haven't bothered). It shows you the phase of the moon, if you can believe that. But the real showstopper with this watch is the "good fishing" indicator, that varies between one fish and four: when all four leaping fish are lit up, that means (I guess) that you can't miss. I haven't tested the accuracy of its predictions yet and don't know enough (or care) to adjust it. As it turns out, I was surprised by this feature (I guess I didn't read the ad very clearly, mostly looked at the title and the picture, and the price was right and it looks nice). Still, I take some measure of confidence in knowing that if there were a global meltdown, and the local grocery stores were to run out of food, and if I ever got around to buying the proper gear, I'd then have a leg up on all the rest of the sorry sots who don't have a fish predictor built into their watch.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2010
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
This is an awesome watch. Great value, my previous watch cost
three times as much. The stop watch and timer functions are
very convenient. The Thermometer seems accurate, once you calibrate
it, which is not that hard to do. I have not used the world time
feature in that I have not figured out how to set that up yet. Note
that the booklet that comes with it is pretty complicated, at least
when trying to figure out setting the world time. Otherwise it is O.K.

I love that it is analog and digital. Also, the hands glow at night
and there is a back light function that works well.

This watch is a very nice size and not too bulky.

I would highly recommend this watch to anyone who wants a readable
analog and digital watch with a useful thermometer function, as well
as count up and count down timers.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 15, 2010
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
This Casio Multi-Task Gear Sport Watch is an attractive 200M water resistant gadget that has in addition to the 'Fishing Level Indicator', daily alarms, snooze, hourly time signal, dual time, stopwatch and a countdown timer.

PROS:

Light weight and very comfortable. Not at all bulky.

Attractive analogue and digital time display.

Auto backlit with afterglow. This is handy to see the time during a night fishing trip.

Moon Phase indicator - just another cool gadget on the busy display unless you are the outdoors type.

In 'Time keeping Mode', once you set the time, date and Home Site - the watch's 'fish indicator' predicts the best time to go fishing. When the 'Fishing Level Indicator' reaches Level 5, it's time to bring out the rod and reel! I recommend this watch for any fishing hobbyist.

The watch dial window is mineral - this helps resist scratches. The window is recessed within the bezel (similar to the G-shock models but not as bulky) so it protects the dial window against scratches.

The watch's digital thermometer is accurate. (NOTE: as with all thermometer watches, to get a true temperature reading of the surroundings, you must first remove the watch from your hands!

CONS:

The silver watch front tapers suddenly away from the bezel giving the watch face the illusion of being smaller than it really is. (I like the look of bulkier bezels, that's why I listed this as a con)

The stationary bezel is purely cosmetic. This is a major disappointment since a rotating bezel can be used as a simple mechanical stopwatch or as a backup for your digital stopwatch in case you switch it off in error - that happens to me lots of times! :))

Once the clock minute or hour hand is in the 9 o'clock position, the digital DAY/DATE display is blocked. Either you look 'under' the watch hand to see the date or wait until the hand moves past the 9 o' clock position. This can be truly annoying! (For this design error, I knocked out 1 STAR)

Despite these minor quirks, the Casio Men's AQW101-1ACF Active Dial Multi-Task Gear Sport Watch is a great gadget-filled timepiece. It's attractive and lightweight. Most of all, who would not love a watch that tells you the best time to 'go fishing'? :))
Hey, even if the 'Fishing Level Indicator' doesn't help me catch more fish, it's a great conversation piece ... afterall sport fishermen love to talk about the one that got away! :))

Casio Men's AQW101-1ACF Active Dial Multi-Task Gear Sport Watch is a great gift idea or stocking stuffer for any sport fishing enthusiast!

HELPFUL HINT: If you have problems reading the tiny print in the Casio Men's AQW101-1ACF Active Dial Multi-Task Gear Sport Watch User's Manual, then a simple Google search for 'Casio Watch User Manuals' would give you the website to access to the Casio Men's AQW101-1ACF User's Manual in PDF format. (I saved my Casio User's Manual on my Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device).

SEE MY PHOTO IN CUSTOMER IMAGES
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2010
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
My preference being an analog style watch I struggled to find something that was a decent multifunction watch and without spending a fortune. I give this 3 stars for the features it has, expecially the tide, moon phase, and temp; which is what interested me the most.

Tide feature is going to be rough since it is based on setting a lat / long for whatever area you set it to and is something I don't want to mess around with as some of the boat launches I use in the ocean are sometimes unusable at low tide.

Temp feature though the concept is cool, does not really work. On your wrist it is going to be a varying tempeture based on your body head and where you are located (in the sun, with wind, in rain, etc).

Can't commennt too much on the moon phase or suggested fishing times as I painfully have not been able to go out much to confirm or reject this. :( Neat though.

The other features fill the watch up with lots of extra effort to configure. Of course the tiny manual can be written in any language but a challenge to fully understand.

Lastly, depending on where the hour and minute hands are on the dial the other displays can be difficult to read. Some to the point where you canno get an effective reading.

Awaiting a Casio MDV102-1AV Sea Analog. If I know the time I can figure out the rest.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2014
Have had this watch going on 2 years now and it has been great. Usually performing daily tasks I scratch the crystal badly and end up buying a new watch. This has not happened to this.
The watch keeps near perfect time, being off maybe 10 seconds in a year and is a nice looking watch.

The problem I have is the bezel is made of cheap plastic and caught in a shirt sleeve, lifted up and broke.
Before I ordered a replacement bezel I tried to remove the old screws( now at this time the watch was less than 6 mos old) but ended up rounding out the small Philips head tops. I ordered a new bezel from the Casio for $15.00 and shipping and the 4 small screws for $10.00. The new screws were better quality and works with both a Phillips head or slotted driver. The replacement bezel was equally as cheap as the original and broke several weeks after I put it on. I removed the bezel and now wear the watch minus a bezel.
If the bezel was made of metal or not so thin around the screw holes this would be a great watch.

Also it lies about time to fish, I catch just as many when no fish are showing as I did when all fish are highlighted.
on November 11, 2010
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
Pros:

Arrived fast in perfect condition.
Very affordable.
Light Weight.
Moon phase / fishometer work according to published fishing schedules.

Cool to look at.

Cons:

The watchband is garbage, I had to switch it to another I had in drawer and happened to fit.

If the watch is on your wrist, you will not get an accurate thermometer reading.

Does not show the day date and time at on the main screen. Meaning, it will show Wed 10 but no number day of the week, which you must press the mode button to the next menu to tell you the number of the day. VERY Annoying.

The hands that show the analog time are yellow and red and can bearly be seen.

The manual is the size of a dime and I can't read font size zero. Utterly usless.
I found the manual on the Internet and printed that out. Made all the difference in the world.

Overly complicated instructions.
I have had many of the sports-multi-function watches and the setup has the same for years, but with this one, you must read the instructions.

The world time is cool if you need to know the time in some foreign land. I set it to LAX, (I live in LA) and sometimes it has different times and days. Like it might say Tuesday when the actual day is Wednesday.

All in all, with a new wristband, and with the printed instructions it works like all Casio's, very well.
on March 13, 2015
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
I love this watch. It can be a bit tricky to set up because the manual isn't the most clear. It also doesn't provide every latitude and longitude so I had to look mine up on Google. I wear this watch everyday at all times. Most importantly, let's discuss the fishing aspect... I am an avid angler. I have gotten into the sport more in depth about 3 years ago. Prior to purchasing this watch, I learned about the Lunar calendar and how it impacts the fish feeding schedule. Every time I go fishing I check my watch to see what it says. When there are fish on the watch, I tend to get more bites. When the watch is blank, I tend to eat more jerky and drink more IBC cream soda. I will purchase this watch again if/when I wear through this one.
on August 17, 2014
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
This is a great watch. Easy to read most of the indicators on the watch. Only problem is trying to read the date when the hours and minutes arms block them, which is to be expected. The light has very good brightness works great in the dark to show most items on the dial. Very attractive watch. The watch is extremely comfortable to wear, just the right weight and size. I am not a fisherman, but love the fish indicators. The moon phase indicator was set from the factory as right on and has been correct. Been wanting this watch for a while and have been tremendously happy with it. The only thing I wish is that this watch was SOLAR.
on February 9, 2011
The color of the watch band: blackVerified Purchase
Man!! I was amazed by the functionality of this watch. For the price, U wouldn't expect a Analog Watch with LCD and that too with so many functions. I loved the temperature sensor; it was almost perfect. I am not a fisherman.. Though when I look at the watch, the fishes etc, I am amazed at what a tough job the fishermen have everyday. I love the watch and I couldn't find any downfalls.