on February 13, 2007
This Casio watch is about the fifth Casio I have owned. I like them all, but some more than others. This has a more reasonable profile than other watches that have a few more functions. I like the ease of setting the alarms on this watch. It is far easier to use than the TeleMemo 30 model which has an additional two daily alarms. The only drawback is that the watchband is a little smaller than others, so it has a snug fit. This was surprising since I have other Casio watches which have longer bands, and more adjustable clasps.
on November 16, 2008
Pros:
Good value, quality construction and metal band, nice feature set. 10 year battery life?!

Cons:
Very minor stuff. Alarms only go off for 10 seconds... Not likely to wake me up. Except maybe the snooze, which goes off 7 times. Weak backlight (only useful for very low light, but the luminescent features usually work well enough anyway), indicators for the hands on the bottom of the face (by the digital display) is very small (minor annoyance). Slightly bulky, not too bad.

My last watch was a Casio calculator watch and was a tank. I must've used it for at least 10-12 years, and it's still going - on the same battery. Several scratches that I thought would've messed up the display didn't. The second band broke, and I just felt like getting an analog watch, so I got this. It hasn't disappointed. You can make the default display the day of week and date or the digital time, and can switch with one button press. I like using the telememo feature to record short reminders and notes to myself; entering them with 2 or 3 buttons isn't as bad as it might seem. And the timers and 3 alarms can be handy.
on January 18, 2010
I have been using inexpensive Casio digitals for some twenty years now. I am a retired airline pilot and have always liked their multiple alarms, 24 hour clock, date readout and decent enough accuracy. This watch has the features I look for, with a bonus of the data storage and analog readout. I have only had this watch for five days and so far I like it.
However, this is my second watch from this order. The first arrived in apparently good condition.....I read all the directions and set it up and it worked fine......for just four hours that is. Then it stopped and everything went blank. No combination of buttons could revive it. On a good note.....Amazon sent me a replacement that arrived just two days later, along with the shipping label to return the old one. So far, the new watch is working as expected. There are minor shortcomings however.
The light that illuminates the dial is almost useless. You can see the glow of the analog hands, but that is the only thing visible.....with or without the light for that matter. If you want to read the watch at night, you will have to turn on a light, unless the glow from the analog hands is enough for you. The other visibility problem is reading the digital display....even with decent lighting. The digital display is viewable through a cutout in the analog face plate, and is small to begin with. The problem is that the cutout is not large enough, and the upper portion of the digital data is partially obscured at certain viewing angles. Sometimes the obscuration is worsened because the face plate casts a shadow over part of the digital readout. This problem is tempered by the fact that you still have the analog display as primary. Still, a minor nuisance.
Another minor problem is the alarm volume. This has been a tendency of Casio for the last few years. I used to have a Telememo Data Bank that I used as my primary alarm. It would wake me up from a dead sleep over 90% of the time. The newer alarms wake me up less than 30% of the time. Again, a minor problem unless this watch is your primary alarm clock.
The last point is about the ten year battery included. I have read that the ten year battery will only last ten years if you don't use the light or the alarm. Every time you use either, it reduces the life of the battery. My previous ten year battery barely lasted three years.
All in all, I still like this watch......so far. I wish the backlight, visibility and alarm volume were better, but then it would be an almost perfect watch. Still a good buy for $22.
on September 26, 2009
I bought the watch almost 5 years ago and have had little problems with it, at least until about a year ago. It acted like the battery went out on it, so I had it replaced (didn't remember the 10 year claim). Shortly afterward, the watch "reset" itself. Thinking it might be the battery, I went back to the repair shop. Repairman said it appeared the battery contacts weren't tight enough so he "adjusted" the contacts. Recently (aalmost a year later) the watch reset itself again, then last week it went out on me completely. Repairman said it wouldn't be cost effective to repair the watch, and I agree. Other than that, I like the watch and may buy another one just like it, especially at the current price.
on November 1, 2010
I looked at a lot of watches and this looked like exactly what I wanted. And when I got it I found that it was!! And the price is too good to believe. I had to adjust the watch band and that was a hassle until I figured out how to do it. No instructions for this in the manual. Look on the Internet under adjusting Casio watch bands and use a VERY small jeweler's screwdriver.
on October 29, 2010
I've had this watch for a little over a month and have been very pleased with it. I've gotten compliments on the looks and it's comfortable to wear. I paid $22 for it. It has a lot more functions than I'd ever use - in fact most of it's functions are not necessary. But the alarm works, the light works, and the watch keeps time. That's more than enough for me for $22.
on February 13, 2008
Casio Men's Ana-Digi Watch #AW81D-2AV
The only reason why I purchased this watch is because of the
10-year battery life that it has in contrast to the common
2-year battery life which other watches carry. And when I got
it, in my opinion it looks distinctive enough to be worn
anywhere -- casual or formal.
on August 17, 2010
I have 2 other Casios, both atomic, and have had a number of other much older Casios I've eventually given to my son when I wanted a new one. All are still running fine. I got this watch since the atomic models are much more complicated to set for the various functions, and I plan to be visiting other time zones. On this watch, you can easily set the digital display to the new time zone, and display it all the time with your home time on analog. Anytime you need day, month, and date you can instantly toggle to it with one button push, then one more to go back to the digital time in the new zone.

I am old and technology challenged, but found this watch relatively easy to set up and learn. I did not find it too small for a large man's wrist as did another reviewer. Nor was the band tight as another said. In fact, I had to remove one link from the band, and my arms are large. You may have to go on the internet to see the procedure to do that. If you're not good at that sort of thing you might want to see a jeweler, it shouldn't cost much....but the internet instructions are pretty good.

As far as having to hold a button down for a long time to set the analog hands, since it will only advance forward, don't worry about that. Since analog time doesn't show am or pm (digital does), you will only have to go forward at most 12 hours. Also, if you push a second button while pushing the first to make the hands advance, you can then let both go and it will quickly advance on its own until you push another button to stop it. You can then advance it slowly, 20 second jumps at a time. I easily synced the analog display exactly to the digital display, setting both using one of my Casio atomics.

It is a very handsome watch, and the case and band seem of very good quality, not looking cheap. You will not have to feel ashamed to wear this watch anywhere.

Oh yes, the alarm is not loud, so don't expect to use it unless you are a very light sleeper.
on September 28, 2013
I have worn Casio watches for decades. I've also worn Timex and other brands too.

My previous watch was the Casio 10 year battery 708 MTP-3036A-2AV with the Cobalt Blue face. A quite nice heavy duty analog watch that had a full thick stainless steel case. Amazon still carried them up until earlier this year and now only carries the black faced watch by the model number MTP-3036A-1AV.

I loved the old watch and it took a beating in my work but never a hiccup until the ten year battery died right at ten years. The watch was so worn I decided to look for another. The old one with a strong thick steel case at $25.00 was well worth the money. The only drawback to that watch was that it had no illumination for night viewing.

Alas, it went away from Amazon even though it can still be found at other places and I may indeed go get one just because I liked it so much.

But I needed a watch and liked the look of this one with a similar colored face. I won't go into great detail of the features since so many others have. I do find them fairly easy to set up and work, though that's not why I bought the watch. The greatest drawbacks to this watch is that it is made very flimsy. I guess ten years makes a lot of difference in quality. The "crystal" scratches easily so I had to take one of the clear cell phone screen protectors, cut it down and apply it to the face of the watch or it would have gotten destroyed in short order.

It says the case is stainless steel. But I don't see it. The top section of the watch is a very thin pot-metal, maybe aluminum. But the worse part of the design is that the bottom side of the watch is plastic. Thin, light plastic. Ugh! That really is a let down and just won't make it for me as a work watch. So I will be buying another one of the old watches from somewhere else while it's still available and at the same time keep this watch for non-work wearing. I do like the night lights though they are not very bright like the Timex Indiglo are.

One more thing. The watch ships with a huge wrist band, also made much lighter and more flimsy than the old one was. I have fairly large wrists and it was way too big for me. There are no instructions with the watch on how to reduce the size and they've changed the design on it from the old watch. But there are several good YouTube videos showing exactly how to take out links. Unfortunately, the process is simplistic but definitely not simply. It took me an hour to remove a link from both sides with needle-nose pliers and a jewelers screwdriver set. It was NOT easy. And it still was too big on my wrist. Since the clasp also has four settings to loosen or tighten the band, I set that to the tightest and it fits pretty good now though still a bit loose.

Bottom line: The Casio AW81D-2AV is a very light weight, attractive watch with numerous handy features at a great price if you intend on wearing it out to dinner, church, a movie, even to the office. This watch will not hold up to a harsh work environment so be aware that it is very light weight.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I gave this watch to me today, the day before Christmas. My excitement was underwhelming, but the watch was more than satisfactory. An explanation is in order. First, my 45 year old Rolex has finally given up, and the cost of repairs would be around $1,400!!! I have a Timex for puttering around in, but it's about 20 years old, and so it seemed time to treat myself. However, I'm more practical than I was 45 years ago. Being sort-of retired, my biggest problem is remembering what day it is. No kidding. When you retire and your wife is also semi-retired, and TV shows are no longer on specific nights or they're on every night, the only day I'm sure of is Friday because everybody's garbage goes on on Thursday. So, my criteria was that I wanted a watch that told the day, date, and time. This Men's Ana-Digi Watch filled the bill. It seems to keep time well enough, and I'm willing to accept a minute or two variation in a day (used to be that I wanted it to be within a minute a month).

I read other reviews. I agree with the one person who said that the band is waaaay to big. I took it to the key shop across the street, and they took out two links, and it now fits my skinny wrist.

The date is big enough. However, it is difficult to read at night, even with the light. The light is yellow; the face is blue; it just doesn't show up that well. My bigger disappointment is that it doesn't have a second hand which in a way, on an analog watch is like it's heartbeat, the thing that tells you it's still working. (The photo of the watch on the produce page looks like there's a second hand sweeping just above the 6.)

But for $24 bucks, you really can't go wrong. If you want something that looks like a Tag or a Rolex, then get a Tag or a Rolex. If you can't afford it, then what's wrong with a Casio that keeps as good time as the high priced stuff. Make believe it's white gold. Besides, it really is comfortable. I like the light weight, and I don't want to wear a wall clock on my wrist. It seems that you have two choices today: something the size of Big Ben on your wrist, or taking your smart phone out of your pocket to see what time it is. Now, that's just plain silly. You might as well go over to a stranger and ask if he has the time. Then he can get out his phone or try to lift his arm. Wait a few years: pocket watches are making a comeback.

Update: Sep. 28, 2013, 9 months to the day, and either the battery died or the whole watch did. I will be calling on Monday regarding warranty, but this is a little disappointing since at least it kept good time and was comfortable.

See 1 answered question