4.0 out of 5 stars I love my Casio calculator watch
I own the basic black, no backlight, Casio calculator watch. The first one I owned, the battery lasted for 10 years (turning the button beep prolongs battery life) and I lost the watch when the watchband finally broke.

Published on January 4, 2007 by Patricia S. Mccarthy

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - No Backlight!!
I've enjoyed Casio calculator-watches for many years. This one looks and feels cheaper than its predecessors. Most importantly, it lacks a back-light rendering useless in low-light.
Published on January 9, 2007 by Steven B. Markin

4.0 out of 5 stars I love my Casio calculator watch, January 4, 2007

When I went to replace it, I upgraded to a more expensive model that had a backlight on demand and stored phone numbers and appointments. The battery only lasted a few months. I replaced it and it lasted only a few months again. I bought another basic model.

I've now had that watch for three years and still going strong. I bought one for my teenage son and he loves it.

You get:

1. a digital watch that shows day, month, date year and time

2. a calculator that does simple math functions (buttons are small and take some getting used to

3. a stopwatch

4. an alarm clock

5. dual time function (can be set to show time in another time zone; I've never used this)

6. a watch so cheap, you don't have to worry about losing it and muggers don't want (this actually happened to me, the mugger wanted my wallet and my watch. when he saw my watch, he laughed and told me to keep it).

all for under 20 dollars. you can't beat this functionality for the price. I'll never buy another watch. I was recently given a t-shirt with this watch on it and the caption "Genuine Bling". True dat.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am an engineer. Hear me ROAR! [meow], October 21, 2010
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I just turned 34 today. I had been surfing and apparently raving that I had to get one of these. I have wanted one since I was 7 years old. The slightly nerdy kid in my 2nd grade class had one, and I was green with envy. Every few years, I would notice Casio is still making this watch, and every time, I thought to myself: "Nah, not enough features." or "Nah, electronic watches are boring." (I'm a Watch Idiot Savant, or WIS for short. I normally like mechanical watches)

Anyway, I had a couple of beers last night and was raving to my wife that I need to get one of these. I had waited 27 years, and that is quite long enough. Back then, this watch was a relatively new design. It was only 3 years old. In those days, Casio didn't come out with new designs every week like they do now.

So today, she surprised me with this. When I look at it, I am transported back to 1983 in 2nd grade, and I remember how envious I was of Nicholas, who had this watch and was all stoked about going to see 'The Return of the Jedi'.

Enough of my sentimental rambling. That is not why you're reading this. (if indeed *anyone* is reading this...)

I will review this from the standpoint of an electrical engineer and owner of 4 other Casio watches. I've had countless others, but I'm down to 5 now. Ergonomically, this watch could not be any better. Looking at the black resin band, you might think that it sticks to the wrist. It does not, because Casio put cut-outs in the strap up near the watch body. The band is soft and pliable. Compared to modern Casio digital watches, it does not do much. The main screen includes time of day and the day of the week. The next screen is the calculator. The next screen is the alarm. (no hourly chime, that's how old this design is!) The next screen is Dual Time. The next screen is stopwatch. Then, we go back to the main screen. No countdown timer, no moon phase, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, not even a micro-light. (micro lights are the tiny incandescent that were barely adequate to light up the display to read the time. Micro-lights predate ILLUMINATOR and ELECTRO-LUMINESCENCE.)

However, the result is that the screens are not cluttered with junk. There aren't weird symbols, the meaning of which one would need to consult the booklet.

You might look at the funky way the rubber buttons protrude up through the watch body. Don't laugh too hard. These are MUCH easier to press than those of later Casio calculator watches. Later models were made to be more water resistant, so they had to seal up the keypad and use membrane-type buttons. I have one such later model, a DBC-150. (Databank Calculator, 150 telememos) It has more features, including a nice backlight and a countdown timer. But the calculator buttons either require a fingernail or a VERY hard press with the tip of the finger. Not the trusty CA53W-1! A normal press with a fingertip is all it takes.

The CA53W-1 is also not bristling with buttons from the sides like later model Casios were. Just one metal button protrudes, and the recessed metal button for 'ADJUST'. Less buttons to catch on clothing and accidentally press. The time is set through the use of the numeric keypad. The stopwatch is also controlled by this keypad.

The face of the watch boldly advertises: 'WATER RESIST, ALARM CHRONO, WR'. A word more on 'WATER RESIST'. If a depth is not given, then this means it is resistant to splashes, such as one might encounter in a light rain or a random drop or two from washing one's hands. It is not designed to be submerged. Others reviewers have indicated that they've submerged their CA53W-1 with no ill effects, but I'm not going to risk it. I'll take my DW-5600E G-Shock for that kind of duty.

Also worth mentioning is that this watch is significantly thinner and shorter, than later calculator watches. It is literally 30% smaller than my DBC-150. It is so light, one doesn't even realize one is wearing a watch.

The bottom line is that for someone who has the right kind of fashion sense, this is a better watch to have then a Rolex (I have one) or Movado. It makes a certain statement, and that statement is: "I am all about practicality. I am an unapologetic geek. Take your trendy, blocky-for-no-reason, Ashton Kutcher-esque Kenneth Cole watch and take a long walk on a short pier."

One last tidbit of info. When I set the date on my watch, the earliest year was 1980. Happy 30th birthday, Casio Calculator Watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this watch and save kittens., November 20, 2009
CASIO watches are the best thing that has ever invented. I bought this watch a little less than a month ago and was shocked and awed by the amount of attention I received over it. Before I bought the CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator I was a nothing, I was no one, no one on my campus recognized me. All of the people I knew were stupid gaming retards, all they cared about was Modern Warfare 2 coming out soon. They were like "Sean come play Modern Warfare with us, it totally is the best game ever. Play Modern Warfare to tune your skills for Modern Warfare 2." and I told them to get some lotion and go into the bathroom because I wasn't playing any more video games, I was becoming a man. The first thing I did was to sell my xbox 360 and all its accessories on craigslist for $150 (I had a lot of stuff), the reason being was that I had an epiphany when they told me to play Modern Warfare with them. The epiphany is: there will always be new video games coming out, most of them aren't worth your time. Anyways so I sold my xbox, and then I got a haircut. Well I got many hairs cut and ended up getting a fashionable haircut like that of Edward Cullen on Twilight. I figure all the girls love him right? They all want to take him into the bathroom without lotion or Maxim, if I look like him, I will get all the babes. I also got a Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym, now I work out 3 times a week and I am totally ripped (well at least I'm ripping). I then purchased this CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator, the first girl that talked to me about it was Janet, from my circuit analysis class. She told me that she liked my watch, that maybe we should hang out sometime. Janet had always been my dream girl, smart, funny, engineering major, mildly overweight (but in a good way), and she loved CASIO watches. I mean who doesn't right? Well I decided that the first girl that talked to me about my watch was going to be the one. I left circuit analysis class walking next to Janet, my ex-friend Jake from Modern Warfare came up to me and asked if I wanted to play in 20 minutes. I asked him what 7251 times 8 was, he couldn't tell me. I flashed him my CASIO CA53W-1 Watch with Calculator and told him to go into the bathroom with some lotion and a copy of Maxim, he knew immediately that he would never talk to me again. I cannot more highly recommend this watch to anyone, it is comfortable, has a watch, calculator, alarm clock, and most importantly for Janet and I it has a stopwatch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, April 27, 2005
I have had mine for eight years and have never replaced the battery. The original band just broke the other day. This watch cost about $18.00 eight years ago and it has performed very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, August 9, 2005
I had this watch for over six years, I am replacing it only because my puppy chew the bands on it, otherwise I highly recomend it, specially at this price. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes those panites drop, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch (Watch)
Definitely a product produced from a master engineer who knows how to make the ladies scream. This time piece really exudes manliness. I get compliments on it all the time.

- "Oh wow is that a calculator?"
Me - "Oh why yes it is."
- "That is really smart. Take me now!"

Purchase this now if you have any sense left in you.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the two watches you will need in life, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch (Watch)
There are two watches you will NEED in life.

1) a bad watch.
This will help you appreciate good watches.

2) A Casio CA53W-1
This watch is a perfect blend of practicality, style, efficiency and just pure awesomeness.

I was given this watch when I was 4. I am now 23 and have my 12th CA53W-1 on my arm. (I am rather rough on the watchbands). I am fairly certain that as long as they continue producing this watch I will wear it until the day I die. This is the best watch ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Functional, May 26, 2012
Tim (Central Coast California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch (Watch)
I must say I was pretty stoked to order this guy even before I got it, but I will make this a fair review. I work in a industrial area so I like cheap watches that I don't have to care for and will break off my wrist in an emergency. I lost my last cheap work watch which was a Timex as I have stuck to them for year. I happen to see this one on the amazon webpage right next to the Timex I was going to purchased. There is always a shortage of calculators at my work, and I needed a new watch. I solved both issues at once.
The normal display is just PM, hours, minutes, seconds and day of the week as seen in the pictures. The main function or menu bottle is on the side which allows you to scroll between functions. The functions in order from the main Time are calculation, alarm, the dual time, and stop watch. The calculator can do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. It claims to do powers, but really you hit "3" "X" "X" "=" to do 3^2 and "3" "X" "X" "=" "=" for 3^3 and so on. The alarm is just like any other watch, and it only has one alarm. No dual alarms here. It is nice that the alarm on/off is an actual button rather than having to press and hold a button. The dual time just keeps a separate time in case you need to know the time in another time zone. Lastly, The stop watch works very basically with start/stop and lap/reset.
The watch band feels great, the rubber quality appears much better and softer than the Timex watches, but then again Timex watches you can drop all you want and they keep going. Only time will tell if this watch has similar durability.

Pro:
-Fun nerdy watch
-Functional basic calculator
-Fits comfortably
-High quality band for rubber
-Dual time
-Stop watch

Cons:
-Buttons are small
-No dual alarms
-No real powers function
-Thin band for questionable durability

Overall 5 stars as this is a fun, functional watch at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great watch!, March 5, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch (Watch)
I have owned a half-dozen of these watches dating back to the late 70's. Each one has lasted about five years. I have found it cheaper to just buy a new one on sale at Wal-mart or Target (or Amazon) rather than have a jeweler replace the battery. I find the alarm the most used optional feature, followed by the calculator, the dual-time (great for travel, and the stopwatch. It is very light-weight yet surprisingly rugged and easy to operate.

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch of the future, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch (Watch)
As a cyber commando always out in the field, I needed a time piece that could keep up with the constant abuse of warfare against the cybo-martians. Enter the Casio CA53W. Not only does it help me precisely time my orbital drops from space into kryxon territory, but it also withstands splashes of neon-blue alien blood because it is water resistant.

I have to travel light as I'm always deep behind enemy lines. The calculator feature really helps me calibrate flux detonators as I place them on EMF field generators to take down the enemy bases. This watch even saved my life once as it's screen deflected a phaser ray shot at me.... Who knew it was also phaser ray resistant?

Some civvies might complain about the lack of a light but when you're crouching amongst the grass plains of Galaxia, the last thing you need is a light giving away your location to the Galaxiorens.

Battery life has been an issue for most, but a hidden feature of this watch is that it absorbs cosmic rays as I steer my ship across the starfields of the Delta-Phyton star system and that's kept it's battery powered up for decades.

It's only the year 2083, but it definitely feels like this watch belongs in 3014.

Casio Men's CA53W Calculator Watch