5.0 out of 5 stars Big and clunky, but very useful.
Published 23 months ago by R Rivera

2.0 out of 5 stars CASIO's G2310 "R" WATCH WITH A LOT LESS IN IT.
Published on October 17, 2011 by Gordon W. Bootle

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and clunky, but very useful., August 5, 2012
Owner's manual says the battery charge will last up to 11 months. I've had it since Father's Day 2012 and haven't run down the battery yet. We'll see what happens in the winter time when there's less sun and I wear long sleeves. It has a power saving mode which shuts down some functions when there is low light and the watch is not being used (like every night at bedtime.) I have to wake the watch up every morning, by tilting it to 40 degrees or pushing any button.

Functions seemed complicated at first, but if you gradually read the owner's manual a bit at a time it's all pretty easy to remember. I use the stopwatch and the countdown timer every day. Countdown timer can only be set to 1 minute intervals, though, so no 30 second interval workouts. But overall it makes a great sports watch. I have the auto-lighting function turned on, and the hourly beeper turned on, and the audible beeps function turned on, as well as using several of the alarms on certain days.

Auto-electroluminescence feature (automatically turns on the light when you tilt the watch 40 degrees towards your face) is not supposed to come on unless it is dark, but this light comes on even when it is not really needed--in all but the brightest direct sunlight. Doesn't run down the charge, though.

water resistance seals are holding up good to every other day pool swimming (You're not supposed to push buttons while the watch is submerged, so I don't) and profuse sweat from hard cardio workouts everyday.

color doesn't seem to be fading yet. and the band isn't cracking or creased, either. The band is a little stiff though. It also has very closely spaced holes for just the right tightness.

Haven't really tested the scratch resistance yet because the watch is so bulky that the sides and rim protect the glass. I've been wearing it for remodeling work about 4 days per week. Has a lot of edges that trap dirt and dust, but cleans up easily.

Has preset time in several different cities, so you can wear it straight out of the box without too much programming. After you get the watch features all set up like you want them the World Cities function becomes pretty useless unless you travel a lot.

Overall, I love this watch, and I expect it (and the rechargeable battery) to last a long, long time.

update Nov, 2012:
watch gets significantly less light in the winter when wearing long sleeves more often, and spending less time outdoors. Battery actually went to "LOW" level. had to purposely hang it near a light bulb, but putting it in the sun recharges much faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal On A Great watch, October 3, 2011
Initially I purchased this watch so it would be easier to read at night & as I discovered it is not only easier to read, but it is full of features & almost as light as my analog titanium Seiko. The solar battery keeps my G2310 powered all the time, hibernates to conserve energy, & powers up with the first light source it comes in contact with. I'm still learning the rest of the features but includes 31 time zones in 48 cities around the world, stopwatch, bright back light, & smaller profile, to mention a few. All the functions are listed in the Amazon description. Worth much more than the selling price. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marine approved, August 3, 2012
I received this watch as a gift in 2004 prior to heading out to USMC boot camp. 8 years, 4 deployments, and numerous field exercises this watch stood strong. I bashed it so hard at times I looked down expecting it to be cracked, to my surprise not a scratch. I didn't have to replace the battery until around the 6 year mark so clearly they are downplaying it's actual life expectancy. The features are great, it's easy to read and most importantly, easy to operate (grunt proof at least). I had to replace the band once but I put it through hell and we'll chalk that up as my fault. Dependable and durable are the first words that come to mind when describing this watch. Sadly last month it vanished thanks to some sketchy housekeeping at a holiday in express so I need to replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the can, July 18, 2010
John Danisz (Rotherham, South Yorkshire, GB) - See all my reviews
Got this watch to use for work and my job is a builder so it's gonna get bashed about and scruffy had it over a month now and not one scratch on the screen. i tested the screen out on a saw blade the saw lost. If you're looking for a watch for durability this is the one for you. Carry on the ggod work G-Shock

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio G-Shock solar watch, October 8, 2012
I was seeking a cool, chunky sports watch and had a hard time making my mind up on which Casio. Not 1 single watch did everything I wanted, so I decided the solar and EL illumination were my top "must haves". I like the watch fine, but am not in love. Considered returning for a tide feature watch, or something "fancier", but am keeping it. It is big and chunky, which I wanted. The EL face illumination feature is nice when I ride my bike in pre-dawn hours, and the potential of never needing a new battery is very appealing. Not sexy, but cool enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing piece, March 27, 2013
Absolutely rugged, light weight, for regular outdoor activities good buy...very durable, highly recommended. I have been using it since last few months...great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, October 2, 2012
I have owned this watch for about 10 years now, I have worn it everyday and rarely take it off, I have done EVERYTHING with it on and it still works perfectly. Highly recommend this watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars CASIO's G2310 "R" WATCH WITH A LOT LESS IN IT., October 17, 2011
Once upon a time Casio released the G2310 G shock watch. Soon after came the G2310R watch but then the G2310 model was removed from sale. Sometimes things don't progress and go forward but instead go in other directions. Compared to Casio's G2310 watch the G2310R model is very similar in appearance but many features have been removed. The Data Bank has been completely removed from the G2310 "R" watch. In the timekeeping mode one line of information above the "main time" showing the day,month,year has also been removed from the G2310"R." There is information above the "main time" in the timekeeping mode but this is limited to day and month using single or double digit numerical characters the "year" has been removed. In the "world time" mode users can no longer compare information from a "second" time zone with the main time as could be done with the G2310 watch. The only improvement in the G2310 "R" is a new slender and unobstructive solar cell. It seems that the G2310 "R" is unable to cope with the features and hence the workload of it's predecessor the G2310 and Casio removed features from the G2310 for the new G2310 "R" watch. Perhaps Casio's engineers need to consider that an efficient or larger solar cell to cope with the features hence the work load of these watches is the more progressive philosophy. Casio just bring back the G2200 or DW9050 too Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars G2310R-1 with Solar Power, almost perfect., November 22, 2013
Very nice watch, don't have to adjust time, just select your time zone and is done.
Looks sturdy, solid construction. Solar power, gurantees acurate time for long time.
Only con is the band, which I consider a little short, but still fit in my arm.

3.0 out of 5 stars good watch shame about the solar power, October 26, 2013
It's a great watch, although mine came fully charged it has gone into low charge 3 times this week after only 3 months and there it goes again into low charge hence why only 3 stars

Casio Men's G2310R-1