5.0 out of 5 stars Big and clunky, but very useful.
Published on August 5, 2012 by R Rivera

3.0 out of 5 stars good watch shame about the solar power
It's a great watch, although mine came fully charged it has gone into low charge 3 times this week after only 3 months and there it goes again into low charge hence why only 3 stars
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and clunky, but very useful., August 5, 2012
Owner's manual says the battery charge will last up to 11 months. I've had it since Father's Day 2012 and haven't run down the battery yet. We'll see what happens in the winter time when there's less sun and I wear long sleeves. It has a power saving mode which shuts down some functions when there is low light and the watch is not being used (like every night at bedtime.) I have to wake the watch up every morning, by tilting it to 40 degrees or pushing any button.

Functions seemed complicated at first, but if you gradually read the owner's manual a bit at a time it's all pretty easy to remember. I use the stopwatch and the countdown timer every day. Countdown timer can only be set to 1 minute intervals, though, so no 30 second interval workouts. But overall it makes a great sports watch. I have the auto-lighting function turned on, and the hourly beeper turned on, and the audible beeps function turned on, as well as using several of the alarms on certain days.

Auto-electroluminescence feature (automatically turns on the light when you tilt the watch 40 degrees towards your face) is not supposed to come on unless it is dark, but this light comes on even when it is not really needed--in all but the brightest direct sunlight. Doesn't run down the charge, though.

water resistance seals are holding up good to every other day pool swimming (You're not supposed to push buttons while the watch is submerged, so I don't) and profuse sweat from hard cardio workouts everyday.

color doesn't seem to be fading yet. and the band isn't cracking or creased, either. The band is a little stiff though. It also has very closely spaced holes for just the right tightness.

Haven't really tested the scratch resistance yet because the watch is so bulky that the sides and rim protect the glass. I've been wearing it for remodeling work about 4 days per week. Has a lot of edges that trap dirt and dust, but cleans up easily.

Has preset time in several different cities, so you can wear it straight out of the box without too much programming. After you get the watch features all set up like you want them the World Cities function becomes pretty useless unless you travel a lot.

Overall, I love this watch, and I expect it (and the rechargeable battery) to last a long, long time.

update Nov, 2012:
watch gets significantly less light in the winter when wearing long sleeves more often, and spending less time outdoors. Battery actually went to "LOW" level. had to purposely hang it near a light bulb, but putting it in the sun recharges much faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal On A Great watch, October 3, 2011
Initially I purchased this watch so it would be easier to read at night & as I discovered it is not only easier to read, but it is full of features & almost as light as my analog titanium Seiko. The solar battery keeps my G2310 powered all the time, hibernates to conserve energy, & powers up with the first light source it comes in contact with. I'm still learning the rest of the features but includes 31 time zones in 48 cities around the world, stopwatch, bright back light, & smaller profile, to mention a few. All the functions are listed in the Amazon description. Worth much more than the selling price. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marine approved, August 3, 2012
I received this watch as a gift in 2004 prior to heading out to USMC boot camp. 8 years, 4 deployments, and numerous field exercises this watch stood strong. I bashed it so hard at times I looked down expecting it to be cracked, to my surprise not a scratch. I didn't have to replace the battery until around the 6 year mark so clearly they are downplaying it's actual life expectancy. The features are great, it's easy to read and most importantly, easy to operate (grunt proof at least). I had to replace the band once but I put it through hell and we'll chalk that up as my fault. Dependable and durable are the first words that come to mind when describing this watch. Sadly last month it vanished thanks to some sketchy housekeeping at a holiday in express so I need to replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the can, July 18, 2010
John Danisz (Rotherham, South Yorkshire, GB) - See all my reviews
Got this watch to use for work and my job is a builder so it's gonna get bashed about and scruffy had it over a month now and not one scratch on the screen. i tested the screen out on a saw blade the saw lost. If you're looking for a watch for durability this is the one for you. Carry on the ggod work G-Shock

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio G-Shock solar watch, October 8, 2012
I was seeking a cool, chunky sports watch and had a hard time making my mind up on which Casio. Not 1 single watch did everything I wanted, so I decided the solar and EL illumination were my top "must haves". I like the watch fine, but am not in love. Considered returning for a tide feature watch, or something "fancier", but am keeping it. It is big and chunky, which I wanted. The EL face illumination feature is nice when I ride my bike in pre-dawn hours, and the potential of never needing a new battery is very appealing. Not sexy, but cool enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome G-Shock, April 26, 2014
Jay (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's G2310R-1 (Watch)
I love this watch.
I've had it for 9 or 10 years now. It has *never* needed a new battery and keeps very accurate time. The timer, chronograph, etc. are easy to use and set. A full charge lasts virtually forever. Maybe if you put it in a drawer for months, it would lose the charge, but with backup, the time and date would probably remain accurate. You can then put it near a lamp for awhile until it's charged again. (Never had to replace the back-up battery either.) Either the solar charger sucks up light very easily, or a single charge just lasts forever. Not sure, but it never goes below the near full setting. The band has never had to be replaced and the face is still without a scratch. The glass is recessed below the plastic and metal rim, so dropping it or smacking it against something will rarely cause any problems. I've never used the Databank much, because inputting numbers, etc. take awhile and there are other devices for that. In an emergency the Databank might be useful.
Another nice feature on mine, which I don't see on the more recently made watches of this model, it has the month, day and YEAR. No, I don't often need to be reminded of the year, but it's a nice touch.
Bottom line: you cannot go wrong with this watch.

By the way, I saw a review that said when the person got the watch, it said made in China. I can't speak for others, but the back of my watch says it was made in Thailand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, October 2, 2012
I have owned this watch for about 10 years now, I have worn it everyday and rarely take it off, I have done EVERYTHING with it on and it still works perfectly. Highly recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars G2310R-1 with Solar Power, almost perfect., November 22, 2013
Very nice watch, don't have to adjust time, just select your time zone and is done.
Looks sturdy, solid construction. Solar power, gurantees acurate time for long time.
Only con is the band, which I consider a little short, but still fit in my arm.

3.0 out of 5 stars good watch shame about the solar power, October 26, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Watch!, August 10, 2013
This is the best watch i have bought so far. I work in a harsh environment an this has taken a beating and it shows no real signs of wear and tear. The full charge last, it hasn't run low since I use it everyday it gets enough sunlight exposure to keep a full charge. The power saving feature works well and is really a plus to keeping your battery full.

Casio Men's G2310R-1