4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Running Watch
Published on July 30, 2009 by Hawk

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out
I purchased this watch to replace a watch/pedometer that I used for walking. When I received it I soon found out that the pedometer only works when you are running. Since I am not a runner it was useless to me so I returned it. Except for that one feature the watch while hard to use seemed to work well. Listing it as a pedometer is somewhat misleading.
Published on September 18, 2009 by John Albert

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Running Watch, July 30, 2009
This is a great upgrade to Casio's standard pedometer watch (STP-100). The manual explicitly states that it is only for running, but it is very accurate for walking. I have held objects in my left hand and even if I don't swing my arm, the watch accurately records my steps. I confirmed this with Casio before I bought the watch and they should probably rebrand it for walking and running.

You access the pedometer function through the stopwatch screen. You can set a goal and the watch will beep when you reach it. It has traditional Casio quality and features. It is ideal for travel because you can see 2 time zones and set multiple alarms.

After a month, I can say that I would give this watch 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate right out of the box, not for walking, April 10, 2009
Even without adjusting the settings for stride length, this watch was pretty much dead on right out of the box. It may be that the default settings are set for an average person. I'm 5'8 and went on a run on a known distance course. When in the mode that showed step count, it picked up every step.

Seems to be geared for running, on page 55 of manual it says that the watch is designed to count steps while you are running. It will not count steps correctly while walking.It seems to work fine for steady walking while your arm is moving. But breaks do "confuse" it a little.
My experience with pedometers is limited. For running though, it works well.
Have used it for a few months now, very accurate. Used it on a 2 mile marked course and it was right on. Figured out how to switch between displays, so previous post was corrected. Overall a pretty good alternative to the GPS and/or foot pod setups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for running, OK for walking, otherwise superb design, March 20, 2011
Casio is a world leader in digital watches. These days they have a dizzying array of models to choose from with different mixes of features. The G-Shock line is the most popular, however, some functionality can't be found in that line. Enter the SGW200 Lap and Distance model.

Casio's experience in digital watch making since the early 1980's gives this watch a fantastic heritage behind it. Pretty much everything is well thought out. But, like any device with a function that needs human input to operate properly, there has to be a manual to understand it. I did not like the enclosed manual, so I downloaded the one available from the Casio website ([...]), which is a little easier to follow. You just enter the module number (3166) to get the right one.

I found the watch pretty accurate on measuring distance traveled. But, you must make sure you capture your stride correctly. The idea is to jog a known measured distance and count your steps along the way. You then divide the distance by your "steps" and you'll get your stride value. This is what you'll input into the watch. So, it's based on your average. If you decide to "run" instead of "jog", your stride may be slightly different and so the measurements will vary. But... in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor variation. However, with walking, your stride is definitely different. You may need to adjust it to get a proper measurement. Also, if you do not swing your arms much, it may not work at all. Ideally for walking, you are best off using a waist mounted pedometer. I haven't tried hooking this one to my waist to see... I'll have to give it a go and report back.

In other respects, this is a terrific watch. The wrist band is very comfortable (soft pliable plastic with silky texture). The numeral display is a good sized font. Also, I like how the time, date, and day are displayed simultaneously. And unlike most LCD watches that have a backlight, this one has the numeral segments light up--much better contrast and easier to see. Over the time of a week, the watch gained 1 second. That's pretty darned good. Lastly, the alarm has a nice loud sound to it (unlike most digital watches). You've got 5 alarms you can set, where one of them operates like a snooze (it'll go off multiple times until you press a button). This is useful, because the alarm sounds for just 10 seconds, which may not be long enough for some people.

Funny thing... the overall design looks similar to some of the G-Shock models (most popular and more expensive), so on a few occasions I've had people ask me "Oh, is that a G-Shock?" Unless you really beat up your watch, the G-Shock is probably more robust than you need. I picked this one up on sale at a big department store that had a Casio clearance going on. Still, the price being charged by Amazon is darned good, especially since you don't have to pay for shipping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out, September 18, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good recreational runner's watch, April 5, 2011
Pros:
1. Sturdy construction. Looks more like a G-Shock watch than a normal watch.
2. Size: Though the "case" is 44.2mm X 51.6, the face of the watch (silver ring) is smaller giving the appearance that the watch is not that big. Looks good even on my skinny wrist (7 inches). Sits comfortably on the flat of the wrist too.
3. Band: Does not look flimsy. Looks durable. Silky smooth to touch rubber. Quite pliant. Love the punched out grill like design. Gives it a nice "spidy" web look.
4. Features: Loaded. The usual Casio (world times, multi alarms, stop watch, count down time etc.) . The runners functions are very good if you are a recreational runner who just wants to run around few times a week and keep track of run level stats(Cal, distance, pace, times) and accumulated stats without relying on pre-mapped out gmap routes or GPS etc. Perfect.
5. Accuracy: Pretty good once you set your stride length (33 inches for me) The watch is designed to be worn on left wrist - keep your MP3 player etc to the right when you run so that your step count is not interrupted. It seems walking is accurate as well provided you swing your arms when you walk (no operating your smart phone while walking). However overestimates distance during walking if you don't adjust down the stride length.
6. Looks: I like the few color markings around the dial. Visual 20 sec indicator doubles as a target % indicator if you set target to achieve during your running (time, distance, energy). Easy to read font. Band is nice looking. Does not look ugly if you want to wear as everyday wear to office.

Nitpicks:
1. Would like alarm feature to set just for week days and not week ends.
2. Would like to turn off the beeping sound during button operation. Other Casio models allow this to be turned off.
3. If this is your first Casio watch all the button pressing and sequencing etc may be a turn off. Look at PDF at casio web site by module #3166.

Bottom line: Don't see how you can do better than this watch particularly if you are a runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars bye-bye- timex, May 8, 2010
A great running watch that looks better, works better, and is more affordable than any comparable Timex...which doesn't even exist because Timex doesn't offer a watch with this little motion-sensor-stride-counter feature that makes this Casio such a great little jogging partner for me. Simply determine what your average stride is (a little effort to figure out but not too difficult) and input that number to the Casio (34 inches in my case)...and the watch does the rest! The watch converts your strides into miles, and seems to be amazingly accurate to me, as I estimate this to be accurate within a 10th of a mile on my typical 3-4 mile runs. It also has a lap counter, step counter, approx. calories burned, etc...all the typical features you'd expect in a good basic running watch. It also has a very clear, bright display, is attractive and sporty-looking, and the perfect "not too big/not too small" size for my somewhat smaller than average wrist. My only knock would be that the band is rather cheap (plastic clasp?), but overall a great plus-featured basic running watch for a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok pedometer, August 7, 2010
I purchased this watch because I wanted a pedometer. I found that the pedometer will work when I walk, even though the directions say it won't. The sensor waits a few seconds before recording, in order to mitigate false readings, so this can be a bit confusing. I found it to be fairly accurate for running.

Also, if you are trying to track your steps through the day, I found it to be inaccurate because of the delay. For example, if you take a few steps to get copies off the copier, it may not record the steps. Granted, taking 2 to 5 steps is not really exercise.

If you want close to 100% accuracy, I would imagine a GPS watch would be what you really need. Otherwise, I feel this one suits me for casual use.

The only true complaint I have is the band. The tip of the band slips out of the strap frequently. This is a fairly petty complaint, though, since I can buy a new band, if I really want to. One last note, I can't seem to find a way to turn off the beep when scrolling through the watch features.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME alternative to expensive GPS watches, September 14, 2012
I'm an avid runner and log many miles per week. I'm also very technically saavy but not necessarily an early adopter of the newest thing. Finally, I've had this watch for a while and have some long-term observations.

SHORT VERSION: This watch is a great deal for the cost, and much easier to deal with than fussy, expensive GPS watches. If you are a RUNNER, buy one, you won't regret it. If you WALK, buy a pedometer, this watch won't work for you as it counts exaggerated arm motions of the type while running.

LONGER VERSION: I've tried at least 3 different GPS based watches over the past several years and returned them all within a few weeks. To me, they're a complete joke. Their biggest problem, as I see it, is they don't track properly when you run under or near any obstacles like trees, of which there are plenty here in Michigan. Add to that cost and complexity issues and they're just a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. My life is complicated enough that I don't want to load "firmware updates" to my watch via USB. Who wants to wait for sometimes several minutes while your watch finds satellites before you can start running? Not me.

By the way, you can throw smartphone apps in the same category - how can you concentrate and enjoy your running if you're constantly fussing with some phone and worrying about battery life, music selection, voice prompts, etc. Just annoying. This technology thing is getting out of control.

Prior to purchasing this watch I would go for a run with a digital Timex watch that had a stopwatch, time my run, come home and map the run using Mapmyrun.com and do the math. Very simple, accurate and reliable.

Enter the Casio watch. Sometimes I want to run on trails or want to keep track of how far I am during a run. This thing is simple as can be: figure out your stride length, enter in watch, go running. Sure, it's a little more complicated than that but not a very steep learning curve. When I come home, it tells me my overall time, lap times (if I pressed the lap button, more on that later), my average number of strides per minute (very useful if you follow the Chi-running or barefoot techniques), calories burned.

To figure your stride length, run a known distance (like a mile or half-mile) while counting the number of steps, do the division and figure out your stride in inches, enter in watch. If that's not enough explanation for you then don't buy this thing or anything complicated for that matter.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT: Amazingly, the watch doesn't have an auto-lap function which is the only reason why I can't give it five stars. I'd love to have it record my time for each mile as I complete it. The only way to accomplish this is to press the lap button while staring at the display. As soon as it clicks to "1.0 miles" or whatever, press lap button. Trouble is, if you stare at the watch and stop moving your arm it no longer counts strides so you'll be staring at the watch and throwing off the accuracy! It's such a simple software issue to build this functionality into the watch that I have to wonder if it was not designed by Casio engineers who actually run! Come on Casio, are you listening???? However, the unit does have the capability to end your workout when a certain distance or time have been completed. So I suppose you could set this to 1.0 miles, then start another "workout" every time the previous one ends. But that's too much distraction for me and then you're stuck adding up all the mile times in the end. No thanks.

ACCURACY: If you measure your stride length correctly this unit will be surprisingly accurate. However, you can only enter your stride to the nearest inch when perhaps the nearest half-inch would be better. Also, if you're recovering from injury or just going out for a leisurely recovery run (and consequently shorten your stride) then take an inch or two off your previous measurement if you want to be real precise. But I'm picking nits here - even if you don't adjust the measurement this watch will still be pretty close. For instance, it's always within .1 miles on a 5+ mile run. Close enough for me. Use mapmyrun.com if you want more accuracy.

Finally, let me say that I had to send in one of these to Casio repair after it stopped functioning properly. They fixed it free and I had it back in less than a week. Nothing to complain about there, and it's been fine ever since. Even if I had to throw out the old one and buy new it's still a cheaper route and GPS watches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Sexy, December 6, 2009
Zachary J. Deere (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This watch is awesome! It's super accurate when I run, very user friendly and customizable when it comes to what goals you want to set(calories, distance or time and you customize it to your stride length, weight and age so its even more accurate). The layout is very intuitive and functional and has a pretty quick learning curve. The styling is also pretty good since I think it looks good even with jeans and a t-shirt. If you want a really functional watch you can wear for workouts and/or just around town this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd time lucky, swimmer not runner, March 19, 2013
Guzzi (Brisbane Australia) - See all my reviews
I swim laps, I don't run. After disasters with a garmin swim (didn't work properly) and a speedo ani digi (didn't work at all) I gave the casio a go.
It's a good size for everyday for a mans watch, may be a bit big for women's taste. Bit higher than a mens dress watch. Seems to be decent quality (the speedo seemed cheap).
So the buttons work well in the pool, I can mostly read the lap number through goggles, makes a good beep when I press each lap and I have not missed nor double counted any yet. Manual review of the lap times and having to type them into the spreadsheet is a bore but that's what your buying. When my 3 o clock alarm goes off while swimming I can hear it under water.
Obviously I don't know about the pedometer function. The other things I've set up like alarms and time work well. As a swimmer it would be nice if casio built a watch for us, maybe deleted the pedometer and world time and made it cheaper, but this is the closest thing I could find for my needs and everything I've asked it to do it's done well so far. I've been using it for a month without incident. I really love this watch, haven't worn a watch for 15 years but I keep this on most of the time.

Casio Men's SGW200-1V