4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Feature Set
This is an excellent watch for outdoorsy types, especially for those who sail, kayak or surf. With a compass, barometer, thermometer, and tide/moon tracking, it provides essential (potentially life-saving) information in an easy to use package.

Published on August 5, 2007 by waetherman

3.0 out of 5 stars A good buy
Got this for a discounted $150, which isn't too bad for all that it offers.

Published on August 14, 2006 by Brahma

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Feature Set, August 5, 2007
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)

The compass is seems accurate and is easy to calibrate. It is ideally suited for emergency navigation and for casual use such as trail hiking and river boating. I'm not sure I'd want to use it as my only compass for serious hiking or over the horizon boating, but perhaps that's just my distrust of electronics in mission critical environments.

The barometer is a little more hit-or-miss. It's accuracy is questionable given its fluctuation with altitude or temperature. This is not a Casio problem - it happens with all barometers especially wrist-mounted. Despite these issues the barometrer does a fair job of tracking the trend over the last 24 hours. Serious moutaineers may miss the multi-day tracking and using the barometer as altimeter, but most will appreciate it for the simple data it provides. I wish there were more display options, like a large multiday graph option for instance, but the small graph is fine.

Temp fluctuates when this is worn on the wrist, but not too much - perhaps a couple of degrees hotter than true outside temperature. It may be less accurate in cold temperatures than hot, but I'll have to wait a few months to test that theory.

The tide and moon features are what make this watch unique among triple-sensor watches, so I imagine that will be a key selling point for most. Both work well enough, though they will not replace a tide chart. The tide graph shows the general point in the cycle, but not with great accuracy. It's really only possible to estimate high tide with an hour or two. It would be nice of the actual hightide time were displayed or at least the graph had greater specificity. The moon tracking is a nice touch, since it allows one to estimate the size of the tides (spring and neap). But it's only an estimate - the watch does not tie moon and tide data together, leaving it to the user to figure it out. Some other tide watches actually have charts built-in that provide much more accurate data for particlar beaches, but are limited to limited spots. Since the Casio use longitude and other data to estimate the tide, it is less accurate for specific spots but more usefull overall. The ability to forcast the moon phase days in the future, but not to do the same for tide, leaves me wondering what they were thinking.

Other features of the watch include a countdown timer, stopwatch, and five alarms, which are all just fine. The five alarms cannot be set by day, but I suppose if you want to set a time for each day and just activate it as necessary that does the job. If you use the stopwatch and coundown timers frequently you may find switching between the two annoying, since they use the same function (you just set the the countdown timer to zero to put it in stopwatch mode). Also there are no lap-timers.

Downsides to the watch basically boil down to compleixity and size. While the watch is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, it is not entirely intuitive an all screens, and requires some memorization. Setting the tide data requires far too much research on the internet, and casio should provide better data either in the manual or on their website about how to set the data for most large coastal cities and popular recreation areas. The size of the watch is HUGE. It is larger even than the Suunto watches with similar features. The biggest annoyance I have with the size is the height, which is made unnecisarily taller by the rotating bezel. But for some the size won't matter (some may like it) so it is really a matter of taste.

Overall the eatch offers a great set of tools for most casual uses and does it at a very reasonable price. I recommend it to casual adventurers unconcerned about the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars really cool bigass watch, October 22, 2006
I am really happy with my new watch. I go to the beach often and always forget my tide charts, so that function as been very useful. The barometer is a great way to predict short term weather patterns and the digital compass is accurate, easy to use and very handy when directions need clarifying.

The only draw backs to it are the size of the thing, it is very large compard to any other watch I have ever owned, the barometer button gets pushed accidently if you flex your hand to far and the stop watch rounds to the nearest second, no fractions here.

I am very happy with mine however, it does everything that my three old watches did and more in one mannly looking wrist piece.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, August 14, 2006
Got this for a discounted $150, which isn't too bad for all that it offers.

Pros: I'm not a sea-farer by any means but the compass, baro and thermometers are quity handy and accurate. The display if *very* large and clear. The thermometer is fairly accurate (to the tenth of a degree) - I calibrated it against a digital Oregon Scientific wall mounted thermometer. The barometer trend graph is very handy - you really can predict bad weather judging by the falling graph! It also helps that the watch has multiple alarms.

Cons: The thermometer sensor is affected by body temperature quite a bit. You really need to take off the watch for at least 5 minutes to get a somewhat accurate read on the temperature. Also the buttons for compass and barometer juts out perhaps more than necessary. Because of this at times you end up hitting it even if you don't mean to. The compass direction sensing seems a little inconsistent between successive runs while the watch is worn. The countdown timer is not easy to operate.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST WATCH EVER!!, October 24, 2004
Mattvrick (San Diego, CA.) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch since last December!! It's the best watch I've ever owned. Love the solar powered aspect (will charge on cloudy days too). It's a very large watch, so if you don't like that, then don't get this. However, it looks cool and the compass and barometer features I use the most...haven't used the altimeter (I don't skydive) but the next time I fly I will check it out. BUY THIS WATCH!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really big, but easy to read and use, January 10, 2007
I was looking for a replacement to an existing timepiece with compass, the Timex Helix watch. The Timex just was not accurate enough for me, and required frequent recalibration. The Casio Pathfinder, by comparison, is very consistent with its readings, though still not as accurate as a hand-held oil filled compass. Yet for navigation about strange lands, or seas, it does the job. I also like the 24-hour history barometer, which shows atmospheric pressure trends. There's a thermometer on the same screen, which is only accurate when taken off the wrist and left to equilibrate with ambient air awhile. There are five presettable alarm times, something my old Casio G-shock watch had just one of. I find I use at most two. I would have preferred the Pathfinder including a dedicated stopwatch screen in place of several of the alarms. Instead, the Pathfinder uses an either/or screen for stopwatch or countdown timer. One must bring the countdown timer preset time to zero, and then the stopwatch mode will engage. And unlike the Casio G-shock model, the Pathfinder stopwatch displays whole seconds only, not hundreths like the G-shock. For the feebleness of the stopwatch feature I gave just four stars instead of five; but hey, the Pathfinder was not targeted to runners; it's a yachtsman's watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Casio Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch, January 10, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)
Race start countdown timer is very functional as it includes a reset time that can be recalled with the press of a button anytime a countdown is in progress. Example: Set initial countdown to 5 min and the reset to 4. If you are a few seconds late to start the 5 min count, instantly advance to a 4 min count as RC raises "prep" by pressing reset. Can be set for "countdown and repeat" or "countdown then countup in stopwath mode." Big dial and characters; easy to read. Very intuitive user interface. Tide prediction mode assumes 2 highs / 2 lows per 24 hours; consequently useless except for USA East Coast. Alarm / countdown beeper volume too low; barely audible. Other functions, especially digital compass and barometer work well. Rotating compass bezel is marked in cardinal points (N, NE, E) rather than numeric degrees. The latter would be more convenient.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch and the brave person can replace the batteries * * gulp * *, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)
The watch is just okay: It's bulky, but you can get used to it. It took about 3-weeks for the watch band to conform to my wrist and get comfortable. The watch functions work well and are fun to play with, especially the barometer and compass. I would like the temperature function if it weren't heavily influenced by your body heat. It gives inaccurate ambient readings. (You can fix this by removing it from your wrist for 10 minutes, but who wants to do that?)

The battery life was very short - 18 months. (for some reason I thought this watch had solar recharging, but clearly it doesn't. That's my fault and I'll read more closely next time.)

Regarding the battery replacement: I'm a pretty handy guy, and I even have a watch servicing kit, but this task was too much for me. Opening the case was no problem, but I could not figure out how to move the electrical contacts off the four batteries in order to replace them. I looked and looked, but I knew I'd end up damaging something, so I didn't go further. There's also a note inside the case that says something to the effect of, "after battery replacement, short the AC contacts with tweezers." I don't know that I'd want to start "shorting" contacts inside the watch in the hopes of finding the AC contacts, so I stopped and put it back together. Some things are better left to professionals. But that brings up the next problem:

Replacing the four batteries at CasioRepair was going to be $40.20. (an initial $15.95, plus $18.00 for the 3 extra batteries, plus $6.25 return postage.) Then add the postage to send the watch to the repair facility and you're talking about $45 total. That's a lot of money to spend replacing the batteries on a $100 watch. And if I've got to do this every 18 months, well, that's ridiculous!

I haven't decided what to do, yet.

Update 5/13/10.
I took the plunge and decided to replace the batteries myself. Taking my time it took about 25 minutes and I didn't break it. Amazing!

I ordered the batteries here on Amazon from SwatchBattery. $4.89 for 5 batteries (even though I only needed 4). Free shipping and they arrived in 3-days. Very cool!

The hardest part of changing the batteries was removing the battery retaining clips. I used a Snap-On curved pick (Snap-On #3ASH45A) to pop the retaining clip on each. It took about 20 seconds for all four clips. The batteries pulled right out with just a little effort.

Using some surgical gloves to protect the new batteries, I put each in place and then replaced the retaining clips. That part was real easy.

Next came shorting the AC contacts to reset the watch. Using a magnifying glass I found the pointer indicating the way to the AC contact. Using a pair of metal pointed tweezers I bridged one of the AC contacts to the metal back (about 5mm away from the AC contact). A big smile on my face when I saw "12:00" on the watch.

I double-checked the rubber gasket and then reassembled the watch. That's it. $4.89 and a little bit of patience. Good as new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snookaholic is very impressed with this Watch, March 28, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)
I have read everyones review regarding this watch. Yes this watch is big which is fine because I am a big guy. I wouldn't recommend this watch for the ladies because it is so large. I really do like the look of this watch. The face is big as well as the numbers so it is very easy to read. I have looked at and reviewed just about every tide watch none to man kind before I purchased this one. Lets talk about the tide mode. Most tide watches allow you to put in a city code choice into the watch. Well would if the city code that is in the watch does not match to where you live? Would if it isn't even close to where you live? Well what good is a tide watch if it doesn't give you a tide reading in your area! This is what I really love about this watch. It uses longitude and Lunitidal interval readings to give you a tide reading no matter where your at. The Lunitidal Interval is where the moon is set between Moonrise and Moonset. Once you figure that time out then you figure out that time and the next high tide and program those numbers into the watch. It is not an exact accurate reading but, you can program this watch to come very close to an accurate tide reading in your area. Depending on where you live there can be two high tides taking place in one day. This watch is not set up to tell you this. On the other hand there is no other tide watch that will do this either. This watch will by far give you a more accurate reading than any other Tide Watch on the market. How nice it is to look down at your watch and be able to tell what the tide is and wether the moon is full or not. The other thing I liked about Casio is that they help you program this watch by giving instructions on the internet. How do you know if your going to like the watch if you don't know how it works? I was able to pull up the instructions of this watch on Casio Pathfinder watch manuels in the internet before I even purchased the watch. Which explained everything to me about this watch and how to program it. The Barometer graph is small but very helpful. This watch will tell you the temperature but you really have to read the instructions carefully to program this watch accurately. I like the fact that this watch is light. The watch ligths up really well when it is dark. The illuminesence is so bright that you can even see it in the sun light. I would recommend this watch to anyone who likes to fish, scuba dive, or any kind of boating or Sailing that you may do. If you like being on the water this is the watch for you. I scuba dive but I would not recommend you use this for scubadiving. 1. because it doesn't give you a depth measurement underwater. 2. if you push the buttons while you are underwater it might leak. This watch has been rated to go 100 meters which is 330 feet. I use a wrist computer made for scubadiving. I have had Casio watches in the past that I did use for scubdiving and they never leaked so I leave this decision upto to you. I have had a lot of Casio watches in the past and they are tough as nails. So plan on having this watch for a while. I hope this review has helped you in making your decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sea Pathfinder SPF40-1V, June 2, 2008
trident86 (Chesapeake, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)
Excellent watch--except for the size and setting the Luni-Tidal Interval. The instructions in the manual are not at all intuitive and I spent a couple of hours two days in a row talking to Casio Customer Service to help set the watch up for local tides. No one in the tech shop seemed to know which variables to plug in the formula listed in the owner's manual. I finally figured out a better, simpler way of calculating the LT Interval on my own. The tides are accurate but not precise, due to the 6-hour time increments on the tide graph. It it still excellent as a handy general tide reference. There is also no capability of predicting tide more than about 6 or 12 hours ahead of time.

The temperature function is only accurate when the watch is removed from the wrist.

The barometer is a cool function and it graphs over a 24 hour period to show trends.

I've not yet had to replace any of the four batteries, but I imagine this will be a royal pain when the time comes.

All in all it is a great package of information available on your wrist. The watch is durable and functional.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Watch Till You Have To Replace The Batteries, November 15, 2007
B. Perkins (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's SPF40-1V Sea Pathfinder Tide Watch (Watch)
I have owned this watch for several years and have enjoyed it. I agree with the other comments. I want to add that now it is time to replace the batteries. You will need FOUR batteries at five dollars a piece. So the cost is $20 every five years.

Then you take off the back and replace the batteries. A simple job unless the entire mechanism pops out. Trying to get it back in and working is impossible and I am handy with tools. A micro spring appeared on my work area. I have no idea where it goes or where it came from. When I finally did get it back together some of the buttons did not work. After many attempts I gave up. Also, once you break the seal by opening the back of the watch it is never quite as waterproof as it originally was.

I have been a Casio fan since Casio started making digital watches. I have thrown this one out and plan to buy the solar model so I never have to deal with the problems and costs again.